• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Who wants to type me?

Annyong

MBTI Type
ENTP
I get quite confused about my type. I read the portrait of an INFP and think, "That's me!"

Except, a friend of mine informs me I'm "not soft enough" to be one.

And he may be right? I don't know. Decide for yourself:

-I like being alone, and I also find it difficult to connect with people. However, I like spending time with family and close friends.

-Morality is something very important for me. I'm always questioning things and changing my views on life. (by the way, I'm 17 years old, so . . . if that's relevant . . .)

-I like debating with my friends, but they don't seem to enjoy it as much.

-I love writing.

-I love fiction in many forms: literature, film, TV, whatever.

-Classes in school I like/liked: english, philosophy, geometry, and creative writing, psychology

-I like studying people, trying to understand them

-I'm really indecisive

Okay, I guess that's it for now.
What are your thoughts?
:)

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
INFP sounds possible. Have you tried one of them cognitive function tests?

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd say reasonably sure of I, but there are examples of E who need time alone.

Yes, you're in the life stage where one transitions from what we perceived and experienced as a child to exploring and forming our own perceptions as young adults.

Not sure of S vs. N, and S might be more prone to favor mentioning geometry vs. algebra or trig as a subject that's enjoyed. S vs. N is usually the most difficult aspect to pin down.

As to F or T? Making choices based upon how one feels about something doesn't make one too soft. i.e. In the adult world a T might choose to relocate a place of business because there is clear data, that step needs to be taken for the profitability of the business.

An F would also consider the possible impact on people, but is more likely to fight for keeping the business in the current location even though they are aware of the same factors a T would base their decision on.

P or J? Well, P's surely like to leave their options open as you've said.

So seems maybe a focus on determining whether S or N, and T or F?

Annyong

MBTI Type
ENTP
INFP sounds possible. Have you tried one of them cognitive function tests?

No, to be quite honest I never really understood all of the functions and stuff. :blush:

But, I took one of these tests, it said My most used functions are Ti, Ne, and Fi.
It says it's indicative of INTP.

Hmm . . .

Annyong

MBTI Type
ENTP
Not sure of S vs. N, and S might be more prone to favor mentioning geometry vs. algebra or trig as a subject that's enjoyed. S vs. N is usually the most difficult aspect to pin down.

I always felt fairly sure I'm an N, because I'm very impractical, and I'm always daydreaming. My SJ mom's number one complaint about me is that I'm not practical. Also, I don't like getting into details in things.

Also, I don't know how geometry would suggest preference of S, if you'd like to explain?

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I always felt fairly sure I'm an N, because I'm very impractical, and I'm always daydreaming. My SJ mom's number one complaint about me is that I'm not practical. Also, I don't like getting into details in things.

Also, I don't know how geometry would suggest preference of S, if you'd like to explain?

Daydreaming isn't unique to N. ;)

As to Geometry, it suggest S in that it's very concrete "practical' and descriptive of the
physical realm. Where x = Fx is more theoretical and a bit more N.

I used to think I was N, almost always tested N...but discovered the test are
not always good measures.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
INFPs don't have to be 'soft' at all. Softness, or absence of it, is really not a good indicator of type ;)

Personally, I don't see anything in your description that woud contradict the INFP.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Step 1- Identify Temperament (look at NF first) 4temperaments.com -- Understanding Temperament Theory
Step 2- Find interaction style Understanding Berens' Interaction Styles (for INFP it's behind the scenes)
Step 3- Read profiles INFP

I didn't see anything that implied S nor N. I'm leaning towards N, but definitely I_FP. It's easy to distinguish between ISFP and INFP though, the Artisan and Idealist temperaments are very different.

Once you know temperament and interaction style then you know your type.

Going with the assumption that you're NF-

ENFJ = Idealist + In charge
ENFP = Idealist + Get things going
INFP = Idealist + Behind the scenes
INFJ = Idealist + Chart the course

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
As it happens your age is important. 17 is a good age to try and type someone, before the tertiary and auxilary functions kick in and start confusing everything.

All the moralising and lack of ability to conect to people suggests Fi. Impracticality/indecisiveness makes me think Fi is dominant over Te, so Fi must be either dominant or auxilary. I'll says its primary for the moment, as that seems to fit with the picture of yourself as a quiet person.

If so, the auxilary function must be either Se or Ne. Would you say that you learn quickest when what you are studying is something you can physically do, or do you pick up "book learning" faster?

Annyong

MBTI Type
ENTP
If so, the auxilary function must be either Se or Ne. Would you say that you learn quickest when what you are studying is something you can physically do, or do you pick up "book learning" faster?

I do well with book learning.
I never really liked doing the "hands-on" stuff.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I do well with book learning.
I never really liked doing the "hands-on" stuff.

Book learning doesn't always mean Ne, but a lack of ability/interest in learning from hands on experience certainly indicates that sensing is not your forte. Over all, I'd go with the assessment of INFP, which seems to be the general concensus.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wouldn't say liking geometry is necessarily more indicative of Sensing. I liked geometry and calculus a lot as a strong N, because they were elaborations on fundamental principles. I found that algebra was presented (at least at my school) as a series of unrelated techniques to master. As an N, I wanted to know the "why," since "how" on its own is tedious, especially with mandatory repetition.

This may just be because I connected better with my calculus and geometry teachers (pretty sure they were intuitives, too), but it's something to consider.

I also don't think the ability to visualize (helpful in geometry, trig and calculus) is specific to S's or N's. There have been various threads which seem to indicate (not in a statistically valid kind of way, of course) that being good at visualization isn't closely related to type. I also noticed that even for INTPs and INTJs different individuals preferred different math courses.

Not to muddy the waters too much, but I wouldn't weigh liking geometry heavily when deciding type.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFPs don't have to be 'soft' at all.

Yep, common misconception. It seems many INFPs question their type because profiles make them seem too "fluffy".

You sound pretty INFP to me, based on this info.

Of course, SPs can be imaginative and book smart. One question for determining Se or Ne is:
Do you tend to consider theories/concepts more or as much as actual experience (be it your own theory/experience or other people's)?
That doesn't mean disregarding one or the other, but just noting what you are drawn to or what you tend to trust for future reference.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Good post Seymour, and it appears that J or P might have more to do with preference in mathematics. :)

Learning Styles