User Tag List

First 4567 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Something that cracks me up about the real life ISTP friends I'd made, drink a couple of beers...eventually conversation might go Zen and suddenly we're engaged by talking about Quantum Mechanics, M, the unified and string theory. But not for long, lol

Near as I can tell it doesn't matter if it's mechanical systems, human systems, computer systems, or the universe...if you really want to engage an ISTP's attention talk about some shit they can sit around and try to figure out how it works.

Which is probably why there's often a natural affinity between ISTP's and INTP dudes. Well, excepting for those moments where we can't actually motivate the NT's to get up, move and do something sensory style fun.

Let me find another object to describe. How about a bowling ball?

Simple question. How about "describe this object."

Answer:

-The bowling ball is x-kilograms heavy.
    -It is black
    -The surface is shiny.
    -It's well polished.... which is why it's shiny.
    -There are three holes in which the fingers go in, as a means to grip the ball for throwing.
    -It is very heavy and dense. I think this is to keep the ball propelled against the ground surface. Not exactly sure how the physics of it all works out but it's gotta be something like that.
    -It's definitely not edible.
    -Can be used as a weapon to smash someone's head in.
    -Can be used as a tool to break through a door or something like that.
    -Can also be used to smash a cash register and steal money... if you were robbing a store I guess.
    -Can be used as a tool in a science experiment for dropping heavy objects from really high up...

Something like this. However when I wandered off to "it can be used for ..." I'm not sure if that constitutes as "describing the object." It's more along the lines of me trying to figure out weird ways to use this object for tasks completely unrelated to bowling... so maybe I am screwing up the answer.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

nah, not screwing up the answers at all. It's purely a subjective exercise.

In quotes below is a description of what happened in a class when a group of people participated in a similar quest:

"In my MBTI class, we had a small Styrofoam cup as the object.

As someone with a Sensing preference, I wrote down as many details about the cup as I possibly could. In the end, my description looked like technical specs for the cup design (4 inches tall, 2 1/2 inches in diameter, holds 6 ounces of liquid, white color, made of Styrofoam, etc).

I wish someone had a camera to capture my expression when the individuals with Intuitive preferences read their descriptions. Some people wrote poems about how the cup feels unfulfilled because it's not being used...how the cup hates coffee because it is too hot, but prefers tea because it's soothing warmth. One person wrote about how Styrofoam cups are ruining the environment.

I was sitting at a table with other people with clear Sensing preferences and we were all baffled. Our descriptions were based on what we could see, not based on our imagination. One person at my table asked if the "Intuitives" had been drinking at lunch!

This is a great, fast, simple exercise you can use with any object laying around the room of the workshop. Many of my customers use paintings as the object in this exercise."

Hopefully, that will help in evaluating and comparing your own description.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj

Reading your post I thought you are an INTP, but the fact that so many people are guessing ISTP for you gives me pause. The ISTPs I know are rugged outdoorsy types, really into sports, mechanically gifted and bright but not really into intellectual pursuits, strong silent type, etc, etc. But clearly there must be other ISTP subtypes because I've met some ISTPs on here who come across more like INTPs to me. Or maybe I just don't know the ISTPs in my life well enough to accurately surmise what's going on in their heads. I've read a lot about Myers-Briggs and like to think that I'm pretty good at typing people, but ISTPs are definitely one type that I don't have figured out yet. I used to think of them kind of like introverted ESTPs but based on what I've read on this forum that's clearly not the case.

Here's a 100% full-proof, guaranteed, no-bullshit, swear-on-my-mother-or-strike-me-dead method to tell the difference between an INTP or ISTP (no foolies, I'm serial this time):

fight club or the matrix?
    Hello

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    Here's a 100% full-proof, guaranteed, no-bullshit, swear-on-my-mother-or-strike-me-dead method to tell the difference between an INTP or ISTP (no foolies, I'm serial this time):

Fight club dammit!

uh, sorry got carried away.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

You're an ISTP homie, aka, INTP's better half.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post

I loved both of these movies for different reasons.

I wonder if Chuck Palahniuk is an S, oh my, he might be!!!
    `

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SillySapienne View Post
    You're an ISTP homie, aka, INTP's better half.
    Narrow-minded ENFP. :steam:
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Don't be hatin'

My INTP father kinda ruined INTPs for me, though I've met some really cool ones on this site!

Also, there's just sumthin' about ISTPs that I instinctively love, and am attracted to.
    `

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles