User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by _Violence_ View Post
    Ah, yes. Well, perhaps it would be better for me to say I find most things in "martial arts" to be extremely superfluous and unnecessary, detracting from the roots, which is simply efficiency and speed of attaining specific results, whether this is winning, maiming, or killing someone.

This is why I wish hoplology was a more developed field of study; the pure, unadulterated study of combat/violence/technique/efficiency is my point of interest. Philosophical or spiritual discourse, forms/kata, or trying to achieve some sort of zen-like state (Bruce Lee was quite big on this, the state of no-mindedness) is something I find trivial and quite pointless.
    Perhaps you should become a hit man.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Perhaps you should become a hit man.
    Who do I call?

Who do I call?

I hate the 007 series.

How about:

I hate the 007 series.

How about:

He looks like an old fart with large breasts.

Roy Campbell > M

Solid Snake > James Bond

/discussion

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

you sound quite similar, down to the practical analysis, people watching and fascination with religion to an istp who I know (and had trouble figuring out whether he was intp or istp) with the exception that he confines his fighting to videogames

until I read that part I was wondering if I had been followed onto this site

I figured it out in part because he's so much more practical in his analysis than I am... that and I described the differences between the types and se and ne and he indentified more with istp in the end....
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

No, not really. From your post your understanding (or lack of) or martial arts seem far too romantic and unrealistic. Someone playing a form (kata) might look flowing or even "poetic" but the unfortunate reality is REAL combat is extremely ugly, violent, and chaotic. It is unpredictable, uncontrollable. Training only mitigates that randomness.

Furthermore, whether you are competing in a sport setting (boxing, kickboxing) or using combat in a real-world setting (getting mugged, robbed) puts an extreme shift in how chaotic/unpredictable the event is. The more organized the altercation, the more mitigation you can maintain through training.

Oh, and Bruce Lee is vastly overrated. Zero video proof of his actual physical combat abilities. If you want an iconic figure with actual proof of his fighting abilities I suggest you check out Mas Oyama.
    I'm glad someone else thinks Brue Lee is overated. With all his fanboys running around I was begining to believe I was alone in thinking he was a bad actor with an over inflated ego.

I also agree that a lot of people have a scewed perception of martial arts and fighting in general. Real fights don't tend to last that long, and if they do it usually means neither side is really that interested in pushing the point. Probably more bluster then blows. In any event, they are rarely pretty. For most of us, efficient is about as high as one can hope to get.

Going back to the actually perpose of the thread (shock, horror) I can definitely see Se in your descrpition of yourself. ISTPs use Ti and Se, which gives them a desire to try and understand things which are logical and can be examined by direct sensory input. I don't know how old you are, but I'm guessing that you are mature enough to have started using your tertiary Ni. That would confuse many online tests, and make you appear to be more N than you really are. Its also worth noting that most tests struggle to destinguish between an introverted function and an extroverted function, just giving a feed back of just N type or S type.

Senior Member ObliviousExistence's Avatar
    MBTI
    loco
    Enneagram
    5W4

Why don't you leave it at IXTP and save yourself a lot of confusion. You seem ISTP to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Going back to the actually perpose of the thread (shock, horror) I can definitely see Se in your descrpition of yourself. ISTPs use Ti and Se, which gives them a desire to try and understand things which are logical and can be examined by direct sensory input. I don't know how old you are, but I'm guessing that you are mature enough to have started using your tertiary Ni. That would confuse many online tests, and make you appear to be more N than you really are. Its also worth noting that most tests struggle to destinguish between an introverted function and an extroverted function, just giving a feed back of just N type or S type.
    I believe I have started to develop my Ni, at least that is the only way I can describe it. Of course, being extremely impulsive whether it is going somewhere to wanting something, has led me to make many stupid and ultimately worthless decisions.

Perhaps it is this more developed Ni that is causing me to take a step back and an attempt to examine the bigger picture? Ultimately, where will this one decision lead me and how will it affect my life on a larger scale. I know a few years ago I didn't have the maturity to do this very often. I am not sure if this is what they mean by "attempting to understand all possibilities."

But for the description of Tertiary Si function, that is something I can say I don't really identify with. Needing something to "focus" on or else be swept away, I have never feared anything like that. At least consciously speaking. I guess my current understanding of my Tertiary Ni function is something along the lines of "I perceive with my senses, but am more careful/less liberal in my interpretations and conclusions regarding this perceptions."

Oh, and I am close to 22 years of age. Thanks for the help, anyhow.

I took another test just now and got these results. Very interesting. My score for Extraverted Sensing vs. Extraverted Intuition came very close... and the result was INTP in this case. But what made me go WTF was, my tertriary Ni is higher than both my Se and Si? On the first test at least.

FIRST TEST:

extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************************ (36.7)
    excellent use
    introverted Sensing (Si) ************************* (25.2)
    average use
    extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************** (38.3)
    excellent use
    introverted Intuiting (Ni) ****************************************** (42.3)
    excellent use
    extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************ (24.4)
    average use
    introverted Thinking (Ti) **************************************** (40.6)
    excellent use
    extraverted Feeling (Fe) *** (3.1)
    unused
    introverted Feeling (Fi) ***************************** (29.4)

SECOND TEST:

extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************************* (37.3)
    excellent use
    introverted Sensing (Si) *********************** (23.9)
    limited use
    extraverted Intuiting (Ne) **************************************** (40)
    excellent use
    introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************* (37.9)
    excellent use
    extraverted Thinking (Te) ******************************* (31)
    good use
    introverted Thinking (Ti) **************************************** (40.2)
    excellent use
    extraverted Feeling (Fe) ***** (5.8)
    unused
    introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************ (24.1)
    average use