User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Gahhhh even though the secondary function of Se seems to fit me much better, all discussions NT seem to be much more interesting.

I have to admit, seeing an alleged INTP with a username of "violence" is a bit amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I have to admit, seeing an alleged INTP with a username of "violence" is a bit amusing.
    Violence is an intrinsic aspect of martial arts and the focal point of hoplology and as such I find violence to be beautiful in perhaps what "normal" people would describe as a twisted and dark sort of way. Violence is the primordial cause for the invention of martial arts, and without the threat of it, there would be no need to develop formalized systems of combat.

PS - I love jaguars they are my second favorite animal.

How detail oriented are you? That is one major difference between ISTP and INTP. From what is in here so far, I'm leaning toward ISTP.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Quote Originally Posted by _Violence_ View Post
    Violence is an intrinsic aspect of martial arts and the focal point of hoplology and as such I find violence to be beautiful in perhaps what "normal" people would describe as a twisted and dark sort of way. Violence is the primordial cause for the invention of martial arts, and without the threat of it, there would be no need to develop formalized systems of combat.

PS - I love jaguars they are my second favorite animal.
    Far be it for me to tell you what words to use, but don't you think "control" is more intrinsic?
    There is a big difference between a couple of goofballs throwing punches, and the poetry-in-motion control of martial artistry.
    I don't think of "violence" when I think of, say, Bruce Lee. I see an art form.
    (Very ISTP, by the way.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Far be it for me to tell you what words to use, but don't you think "control" is more intrinsic?
    There is a big difference between a couple of goofballs throwing punches, and the poetry-in-motion control of martial artistry.
    I don't think of "violence" when I think of, say, Bruce Lee. I see an art form.
    (Very ISTP, by the way.)
    No, not really. From your post your understanding (or lack of) or martial arts seem far too romantic and unrealistic. Someone playing a form (kata) might look flowing or even "poetic" but the unfortunate reality is REAL combat is extremely ugly, violent, and chaotic. It is unpredictable, uncontrollable. Training only mitigates that randomness.

Furthermore, whether you are competing in a sport setting (boxing, kickboxing) or using combat in a real-world setting (getting mugged, robbed) puts an extreme shift in how chaotic/unpredictable the event is. The more organized the altercation, the more mitigation you can maintain through training.

Oh, and Bruce Lee is vastly overrated. Zero video proof of his actual physical combat abilities. If you want an iconic figure with actual proof of his fighting abilities I suggest you check out Mas Oyama.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I am pretty sure you're ISTP.

Your 'analytical view' of fighting, as an obsession, isn't very Ne like at all.

Those kind of analytical views I can only expect from myself on subjects that only partially interest me. Or not interest me at all. When I have a great interest in something, my Ne starts flinging me back and forth all aspects of that interest. You seem to have a pretty steady focus instead which I assume is due to your Se.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I am pretty sure you're ISTP.

Your 'analytical view' of fighting, as an obsession, isn't very Ne like at all.

Those kind of analytical views I can only expect from myself on subjects that only partially interest me. Or not interest me at all. When I have a great interest in something, my Ne starts flinging me back and forth all aspects of that interest. You seem to have a pretty steady focus instead which I assume is due to your Se.
    Interesting observation, and something thought provoking.

While I have an insanely wide range of "interests" or "hobbies," I tend to briefly study, analyze, or observe them. So I guess in this respect, I am the opposite of you on what I unconsciously focus upon.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by _Violence_ View Post
    No, not really. From your post your understanding (or lack of) or martial arts seem far too romantic and unrealistic. Someone playing a form (kata) might look flowing or even "poetic" but the unfortunate reality is REAL combat is extremely ugly, violent, and chaotic. It is unpredictable, uncontrollable. Training only mitigates that randomness.

Furthermore, whether you are competing in a sport setting (boxing, kickboxing) or using combat in a real-world setting (getting mugged, robbed) puts an extreme shift in how chaotic/unpredictable the event is. The more organized the altercation, the more mitigation you can maintain through training.

Oh, and Bruce Lee is vastly overrated. Zero video proof of his actual physical combat abilities. If you want an iconic figure with actual proof of his fighting abilities I suggest you check out Mas Oyama.
    I never said combat wasn't ugly, violent or chaotic. It is indeed, all that.
    I just don't see martial arts in the same light as beating the crap out of someone on the street, in the usual sense.

You seem to have a preoccupation with the word: combat.
    When I think of Bruce Lee, I don't think of combat.

Football is a violent sport, and I can even see the poetry-in-motion on the field.
    It's not really being a "romantic" as much as it is being able to see fluidity of movement in many forms of action.
    I feel the same way about horse racing or professional tennis.

Ah, yes. Well, perhaps it would be better for me to say I find most things in "martial arts" to be extremely superfluous and unnecessary, detracting from the roots, which is simply efficiency and speed of attaining specific results, whether this is winning, maiming, or killing someone.

This is why I wish hoplology was a more developed field of study; the pure, unadulterated study of combat/violence/technique/efficiency is my point of interest. Philosophical or spiritual discourse, forms/kata, or trying to achieve some sort of zen-like state (Bruce Lee was quite big on this, the state of no-mindedness) is something I find trivial and quite pointless.