• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I can't work out if I'm sx/so or so/sx

souffle

MBTI Type
INFP
...help me out!

I identify well with both sx and so, so I'm definitely either sx/so or so/sx.

I originally thought sx/so, just because reading sx descriptions was like a lightbulb coming on, something to explain why I get so obsessed over things, love interests especially, but also events (eg a big drama performance) or a university course I'm applying for - the idea of them being things I connect to, merge myself with and use to complete me is pretty much spot on. If I'm an sx primary, then it will all make sense. My obsessiveness defines me, I believe. I feel bored if I don't have something to be obsessed with, like I'm in limbo.

The problem is with the profile descriptions. In all the type stacking profiles I've read, the so/sx has sounded more like me. I'm definitely not super-confident, charismatic and aggressive like sx/so's are made out to be. I wouldn't be worried if it was just one profile, except that it's every single one I've read, which makes me wonder.

After all, I still identify quite well with the so description.

I think I have a faulty understanding about how the supporting instinctual variant works. How much of an impact is it supposed to have? Can an so/sx still be very obsessive?

Thanks for your help!

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
...help me out!

I identify well with both sx and so, so I'm definitely either sx/so or so/sx.

I originally thought sx/so, just because reading sx descriptions was like a lightbulb coming on, something to explain why I get so obsessed over things, love interests especially, but also events (eg a big drama performance) or a university course I'm applying for - the idea of them being things I connect to, merge myself with and use to complete me is pretty much spot on. If I'm an sx primary, then it will all make sense. My obsessiveness defines me, I believe. I feel bored if I don't have something to be obsessed with, like I'm in limbo.

Why you obsess would be the deciding factor. Could you elaborate more on that?

The problem is with the profile descriptions. In all the type stacking profiles I've read, the so/sx has sounded more like me. I'm definitely not super-confident, charismatic and aggressive like sx/so's are made out to be. I wouldn't be worried if it was just one profile, except that it's every single one I've read, which makes me wonder.

After all, I still identify quite well with the so description.

Meh. A lot will depend on your main type and health level. In general though, so types will be more willing to change and adapt themselves to others in order to 'fit in' or be 'connected'. Sx types are more interested in having a strong bond between them and others (and both people being their 'true selves'), and on a one-to-one basis.

I think I have a faulty understanding about how the supporting instinctual variant works. How much of an impact is it supposed to have? Can an so/sx still be very obsessive?

In my experience it's pretty significant. So types can be plenty obsessive. They always want to feel connected to the 'social web' and the happenings therein.

Gernally, sx/so will primarily spend type strengthening bonds one-on-one with people they already know, and secondarily meeting new people and/or staying connected with a group. So/sx would be opposite of that.

(I dunno what to do when the instinct type is the first word in a sentence, whether to capitalize or not, either way, it doesn't look right. :p I suppose I could reword it, but that effort.)

Thanks for your help!

No problem!

souffle

MBTI Type
INFP
Hi Costrin!

Why you obsess would be the deciding factor. Could you elaborate more on that?

Well... whatever thing I am currently obsessed gives me my sense identity and purpose, I guess. When there's nothing exciting to focus on, I feel bored, and start to wonder who I am.

But then again, you could say that it only becomes my sense of identity and purpose BECAUSE I become so unhealthily obsessed with it and think about it so much. So it could be kind of a circular thing?

No wait, I got it. I obsess over things because I love them. That's it. I genuinely fell in love with the play my class performed this year, The Crucible, the character I played, and the university course I applied for. I thought they were so great. So naturally I proceeded to absolutely throw myself into them, think about them alot, and rave about them to other people, and treat them as my current purpose for living.

Maybe? I don't know. That is actually a very hard question to answer, why do I obsess over things. Well, I tried. Sorry if that was a dodgy answer, which I think it was.

Meh. A lot will depend on your main type and health level. In general though, so types will be more willing to change and adapt themselves to others in order to 'fit in' or be 'connected'. Sx types are more interested in having a strong bond between them and others (and both people being their 'true selves'), and on a one-to-one basis.

Would an so person treat a romantic interest in the same way as the rest of the world, and want to fit in with, and adapt themselves to them? Or could it be an sx thing? I originally thought sx's might be willing to reshape themselves a little in order make that perfect merge with a special person or thing.

In my experience it's pretty significant. So types can be plenty obsessive. They always want to feel connected to the 'social web' and the happenings therein.

Gernally, sx/so will primarily spend type strengthening bonds one-on-one with people they already know, and secondarily meeting new people and/or staying connected with a group. So/sx would be opposite of that.

That's given me something to think about! It might take a bit of thinking though...

(I dunno what to do when the instinct type is the first word in a sentence, whether to capitalize or not, either way, it doesn't look right. :p I suppose I could reword it, but that effort.)

Hehe! There was a bit where I had the so instinct followed by the word so. I tried to reword it, but then I gave up. I'm glad I'm not the only one who worries about these things!

I'm a 4w3 as well, sometimes I get confused with my 3 wing traits and so traits. Which is just great.

demimondaine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
< could have written this myself! INFP 4w3 sx/so, here. settled on the sx after some thought. any breakthroughs for you?

souffle

MBTI Type
INFP
< could have written this myself! INFP 4w3 sx/so, here. settled on the sx after some thought. any breakthroughs for you?

If I can't make up my mind, I'll go with sx/so. I really identify with sx, and one description of 4 sx's specifically in particular made me go 'yes!!', while the so one gave me a less extreme reaction of 'yeah, makes sense, that's me.'

Actually, I really do think I'm sx/so. The main concept behind sx fits me best, it's just reading those darn profiles that throws me off!

demimondaine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
^ i hear you there! either way, nice types! blessing or curse, i'm not sure. i can dig it, though.