User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    intp

Default Am I an INFP or an INFJ?

Hey, I'll try this. I'm so confused about my type...

I know that I'm Introverted and iNtuitive. I also think I know that I'm a Feeler but I'm not sure about that. There are things in both INFP and INFJ descriptions that make me go "wtf, that's not me". But let's see... I'll write about my childhood and youth a bit because that's when the personality develops and shows at its purest. I think it would help me to evaluate my type if you could tell me your interpretation about wether this story has more Fe or Fi; more Ne or Ni; more Te or Ti.

Childhood

As a child, I was very shy. I had few friends. I remember I was always smiling because I wanted to please other people, especially adults, and I had a feeling that adults wanted to see me happy. I was utterly stressed out whenever someone asked what I wanted for myself, like: "Do you want a piece of cake?" All I wanted was to please other people, so I always tried to come up with an answer that would please the other person when faced with situations like that.

I had imaginary friends and I played a lot by myself. I felt very proud when someone asked me to play with him/herself-- I wanted to scream: "Look, this person wants to play with me! I'm special! I'm accepted!" But that didn't happen very often. Usually other kids left me by myself, at times they even consciously excluded me from their plays, which left a deep sense of inferiority in me.

My teacher was mean. She didn't understand children at all. As a child, I was very slow in my movements and deep in my own thoughts (later I've been diagnosed with ADD), and my teacher interpretted that as malevolence and punished me for it. That was another thing that made me feel inferior.

Youth

As I and my peers grew, I felt somehow left behind. I still wanted to play and stay in my imaginary world. I wasn't interested in drinking, partying etc. I was shocked to find out at about 15 that other kids in my class actually drank a lot of alcohol.

I had become a little bit more extraverted and social, though, because I had made a special friend, a "best friend", and we had a nice little circle of friends. I was quite happy.

But then at about 16 something in me changed again and I became withdrawing and angry at myself. I started cutting myself. I was quite ambitious about my schoolwork. Excelling at school and being praised by teachers was the most important thing in my life at that time. Obviously I realised it because I wrote in my diary that my self-esteem was made of my school grades.

My personality

I am very absent-minded. I try to organise my life. I write notes and to do -lists and try to follow a schedule but it's difficult because I'm very forgetful and nondisciplined.

I am shy. The years of my childhood and youth have left me with an "incomplete" self-esteem. In the past few years, I have become more self-confident but I still feel and appear shy.

I am intellectual. I am interested in especially philosophy, prehistory (how life on Earth began, how we evolved from bioplasm, how different the climate has been on different eras), logic and mathematics (what infinity means, what limits are made of, how each route of reasoning leads to the same conclusions etc).

My thoughts about the world

I believe in God. I have not always believed-- I lost my faith at about 19 (because I noticed that my thinking included flaws)-- but I have started to believe again. Faith enrichens my experience of life a lot. It gives me a sense of purpose and beauty. It justifies my belief in intrinsic values. However, it continues to disappoint me to see how ugly organised religion can be. I have a vision of how beautiful shared religion could be but I don't know if masses of people will ever be able to see that. Probably not.

I want to do something good and valuable in my life. I have a few secret dreams that I hope will come true one day.

I want to always learn more and understand things better.

I believe in forgiveness.

So I tried to give a full description of myself in a nutshell even though it is very difficult. I had to leave some things out, and tomorrow I undoubtedly will feel that I wrote something that was incorrect or that I should have emphasized something else. But this was my best shot at describing myself at this point, and I look forward to any insights.

Thank you very much. *hug*

MBTI
    intp

Now that I read this story of mine, I think it's more INFP-ish than INFJ-ish. Hee. But I want to know other people's opinions, too. Then I'm probably going to change the last letter of my type code (the one that's under my screen name, there on the left) according to what other people think.

I'm leaning towards one of them, just a couple things:

When you're under stress and you start making excuses to yourself for not addresing something, which of these sounds more like you?

"I can't possibly go along with this, I don't have any reliable concepts or map to anchor myself with: it's all arbitrary and untrustworthy and meaningless. I'd be diving in without any orientation; I'd be tripped up or harmed from any random direction, and my efforts wouldn't be cumulative. I just won't budge. I'll build myself some barricades and wait for the storm to blow over."
    "I can't possibly go along with this, because it makes no sense. It's filled with internal contradictions. It's crude and not true to the real principles of how this works. It's trying to shove an inappropriately a priori conceptual structure onto the reality. I will have to go by feel, and where it leads I can't know until I get there. I've got to trust this groove regardless of people's arbitrary expectations."
    Also, there's a whole website actually addressed to the problem you're having, hope you find it useful

INFJ or INFP? a closer look
    Hello

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

INFP

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    I'm leaning towards one of them, just a couple things:

When you're under stress and you start making excuses to yourself for not addresing something, which of these sounds more like you?

- -

Also, there's a whole website actually addressed to the problem you're having, hope you find it useful

INFJ or INFP? a closer look
    Thanks for the link! Checking it out...

Both of those descriptions sound weird to me but I think I would have to choose the latter.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    meh

You sound INFP-ish to me too.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

You sound INFJ to me. Sounds Fe Ni. Fi seems to have a clearer ideas of their personal beliefs and values. Your feeling seems extroverted and connected to how you affect other people emotionally. When you do speak of your internal self, it seems focused on your imagination and considering ideas, which sounds Ni to me. While Fi is very imaginative also, it tends to form definite evaluations from within, and I'm not seeing that in your description.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFJ

infp, lots of fi there.
    Ground control to Major Tom

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    You sound INFJ to me. Sounds Fe Ni. Fi seems to have a clearer ideas of their personal beliefs and values. Your feeling seems extroverted and connected to how you affect other people emotionally. When you do speak of your internal self, it seems focused on your imagination and considering ideas, which sounds Ni to me. While Fi is very imaginative also, it tends to form definite evaluations from within, and I'm not seeing that in your description.
    i was starting to think i was crazy until i read ur post!!! how are we the only ones who see the blatant Fe!!!

I would say INFJ definitely. I was almost going to suggest ISFJ. Rather than waste people's time, I'll just quote you (because I agree with what you said).

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I saw Fe, too, for the record. But honestly I don't think there's enough info here for me to decide. I'd like to see more of her posts.