User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ISFP or INFP

Senior Member Array compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    I'm not supposed to be on here anymore because it's kind of a waste of my time, but I feel really stuck on this. I relate far more to the best fit ISFP than the INFP, for one, but other ISFP descriptions make them sound like uncreative airheads which is not me. I love building stuff, having a finished product for my work. I love being inventive, fixing things. When people talk about theories and 'head in the clouds' stuff for awhile I can't help but roll my eyes. I am not spiritual. I love fiction but I'm not too fond of poetry, unless it's something like Roald Dahl or humorous or straight-forward. Most poetry and philosophy or anything abstract I read it without reading it, if you catch my drift. But the same could be said for instructions or anything that is not written in prose, although I really latch on to song lyrics.

I don't know. I don't feel like writing more about this right now. I need to get outside and go for a walk before it gets dark.

I know I don't have enough information here but any input would be cool. I'm hoping that those who've been around for awhile would have something to say about it. I think I might operate in Fi+Ni a lot.
    You sound a lot more ISFP to me. At least, you like the things I dislike and dislike the things I like, for what it's worth, and your likes seem more like Se things. I'm quite sure that as a child I was Fi-Si, perhaps because I was raised by SJs and they naturally demonstrated and brought out of me Si use more than Ne, and my rather insula, quiet and surprise-less early years encouraged Introversion and comfort with routine so much. I had relatively limited Ne as a child, it didn't kick in properly until I was around 13 I think. Even then though, I didn't have the characteristics you describe. Certain signs of an Ne preference were there. It's not true that ISFPs do badly at school. I knew one, I think a strong one, who frustrated teachers because she never tried and just drew pictures all day and didn't enjoy reading, but she wrote amazing prose when forced and passed exams anyway.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with compulsiverambler, you seem like an ISFP too me.

I know how reading certain things in type descriptions can get you confused, because there's something that doesn't suit you at all. But it doesn't really mean you're not that type, sometimes it just means that the author of the description is way of, or that it's a characteristic of most people of that type, but not all.

INFPs are very abstract and theoretical, I'd rather discuss mathematical theories (even though I don't know jack about math) than talk about something concrete and practical (I can't think of a proper example right now).

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    It's not true that ISFPs do badly at school. I knew one, I think a strong one, who frustrated teachers because she never tried and just drew pictures all day and didn't enjoy reading, but she wrote amazing prose when forced and passed exams anyway.
    This sounds sort of like me, except I LOVE to read. I can (and have) read a novel a day. I will read, basically, anything I can get my hands on. But if I am reading theoretical stuff, my mind definitely wanders. The only parts I get right away are the concrete examples of the theory. For example, in math, I understand story problems. I understand math that has applied use, but you get into the abstract and I have nothing to hold on to.

Same with science- Biology, chemistry, anatomy, I get. Physics... as much as I'd love to understand and like the idea... hard.

Also, I didn't just pass in school, I excelled- Honors student extraordinaire... minus math. And I was the only Honors student not to get in National Honors Society, if that means anything.

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding how, if I am an ISFP, Ne would make me different. And I have read all of the functions descriptions. Maybe because I need a concrete example?

Oh ps, I very much lived in my own world as a kid. I was pretty much convinced my stuffed animals were alive, although I never believed in Santa Claus and felt no need to.

Love people, Use things Array wolfy's Avatar
    MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you are ISFP. Just an N leaning ISFP like BlackCat and Quin. Bestfit gives the best description. There are some other good ones too.

brainheart

Well if best fit gives the best description, I would say you are right, and I trust your opinion, wolfy. It's just my husband is an ESFP(I think) and we are quite different. Me: literature, music, art. Him: sports, music. I love to think deeply about things. He'd rather not.

What especially resonates in the best fit description for me:

ISFP

Probably Iím the happiest when things are just a little different everyday. I donít want to commit to any particular way to be. I want to be able to be a lot of ways. In my mind, I am peacefully assimilating myself to a lot of different situations, flowing easily between them all. Most people donít understand thereís a lot going on inside. Itís always different, and if itís not always different, itís no fun.

When Iím someplace, doing something, Iím really there. The whole experience is related to that time and place. And people only see the part of me that is with them that day. Thatís who I am for that day, but little do they know that tomorrow I might be different.

Iím reserved when I first meet people, but I am friendly, warm, and outgoing once Iíve gotten to know someone. I really enjoy listening to people, hearing other peopleís stories and learning about them. I remember a lot of the details. I ask a lot of questions and like the challenge of recognizing where people are coming from and why they might be coming from that perspective. I love the give and take of conversations. I really feel thrilled and excited learning from that intellectual energy combined with that emotional energy. It gives me a sense of the person. In any situation, I love the give and take, the playfulness and energy, the excitement and a little bit of competition, a little bit of one-upsmanship. But when it becomes abrasive and people personally attack others, Iím offended.

I have a lot of interests and I can get interested in one thing, and then something else comes along and that looks fascinating. I enjoy using the skills that I do have, and theyíre varied. Iím always on the lookout for something that uses my skills and abilities, that will give me variety and still be stimulating and let me have a mission with people. In my best jobs, I was connecting with people and problem solving and often using tools, adapting equipment or techniques.

My nature is when things get to a crunch, Iíll make something happen that will make it all right. I just know that I can do that and will do that. I love solving people problems.

But part of me shivers if someone tells me their expectations of me, even if theyíre expectations I have for myself. I need the freedom to be able to change my mind or direction. I like to get a feel for what theyíre looking for and then just make it happen and hope they enjoy it. And donít ask me how I did it because I have a difficult time communicating that. Itís whatever moves me at the time. I probably donít even remember half of what Iíve done. I can spin around doing nothing and then spend two minutes and get something done. Itís a whole process that I canít communicate, because itís not something that can always be written down on paperóbecause when Iím doing it, Iím enjoying it. Itís like Iím in a different world. Itís not a task to meóitís a creative outlet.

I enjoy family and friends. I enjoy being with them and doing things with themódeveloping that relationship, bonding with them. I carry through with my commitments and Iím a very responsible person. Deep friendships are important to me, but not too many.

When I am angry I get quiet. Others donít know though, thatís the problem. Because itís not an external, visible reactionóitís more passive, turned inward. Iím trying to think it through to figure a way to get my point across so they understand because I wouldnít want to attack somebody. Thatís something about me, that noncommunication, or withdrawal.

I like recognition. Itís very important to get complimented soon after an accomplishment. If something goes unnoticed or unrewarded, it doesnít have the immediate impact that I want. Iíve been learning my own positive self-talk. I tend to be a workaholic at whatever it is I am doing. You might say Iím a perfectionist. I want people to be impressed with my performance. I donít want anyone to be unhappy with my performance so I continue to perform, and that is kind of a driving force. It has been a constant struggle to not overdo it. I need a positive environment to work in and I need the people Iím working with to support me.

INFP:

I have a very internal focus. I think I look at myself through other peopleís eyes, but sometimes I can lose touch with how things work for me. Then I can get introspective, going very deep and staying there, not coming out too quickly or easily. Somehow I find it very difficult to put into words and communicate the things that really matter to me. Most people donít have the foggiest notion about what goes on with me.

I like harmony and seek consensus and do well with the deep issues. My values and the things that are important to me often feel outside the mainstream in the sense that I feel impinged upon and uncomfortable with so much of what goes on. Iím too private to push my values on to other people, but I am convinced that one ought to be congruent in their own life if they are going to expect congruence from others. In a sense I hold other people to that standard, and I worry about my own incongruities, inconsistencies, and contradictions. Groups can be hard. I can put myself in the group process so rapidly and so completely, and itís important not to get sucked in. I need to be predictable about what I believe.

I am a global thinker and I like to learn interactively. My thoughts need to be connected with some person or value. On reflection, donít all thoughts have to be connected to something? I feed new information into other things Iíve read and my thoughts, and I can have a marvelous time just sitting with ideas. And I like to discuss or write things because I seem to have a lot in my head and Iíve got to get it out. I love bringing together different eclectic ideas and seeing whatís similar. I like to have my own ideas, hear others ideas, and have ideas challenged, bantering back and forth. Chitchat has no interest for me. I tend to do a lot of mental rehearsal and play in problem solving, and the fun part is figuring out how to do something. Motivation comes when something has real meaning or value for me, and while I enjoy ideas I donít like having my values challenged.

For me, asking questions is just a different form of being quiet, a way to explore an inner thought stream or check out of reality and back into my thoughts. Sometimes I chuckle at myself that there is really no sequential way that I work though tasks.

I have always trusted my intuition, even before I was aware of it. I enjoy talking to people. Itís interesting to learn about them, where theyíre coming from and how they invent their reality. And I have an innate talent for reading between the linesóto hear what hasnít been saidóand a sense of what needs to be said and done. I tend to form impressions right away about people, and most of the time I feel pretty good about my impressions but sometimes I am way off. At least if the people have good intentions, I can relax.

I enjoy seeing people enjoy who they are, and I get a lot of joy helping others discover that they have value. Being able to help someone in their darkest hour, to communicate across differences and find common ways of working together, that is very satisfying because then there is a real sense of closeness and acceptance and a genuine pursuit of helping people heal and achieve their goals. I hold on to relationships even though we may go long periods without seeing each other, and I cherish those long associations.

Iím concerned about how others feel when they are around me. Lack of honesty or ethics or integrity in interactionsówhen someone is saying one thing but doing anotheróreally puts me off. So does when someone doesnít honor, or accept as valid, my communication or feeling as I try to talk to them about something that matters to me. And I donít need to talk about myself. I donít enjoy it. Sometimes Iím frustrated trying to communicate, and sometimes a metaphor or a joke or a story is a way to effectively express myself so what Iím saying can be heard by someone who hears or experiences things differently.

I donít know what I am going to do next, but I trust in myself that something will come in as a new idea, with challenge and inner meaning. Whatever it is, it will be right. Although I would never actually say it, it feels as though I am grounded in the very being of who I am when I talk like this.

What about other ISFPs? What about INFP or these descriptions do you relate to?

Love people, Use things Array wolfy's Avatar
    MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the differences between you and your husband are more introversion and extroversion. Plus gender would play a part. I spend a lot of time in thought. I don't relate to a lot of the INFP description, but I do relate to almost all the ISTP description. I have a different yet similar problem.

The parts you highlighted in the INFP description seem to be describing Fi mostly I think.

Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    This sounds sort of like me, except I LOVE to read. I can (and have) read a novel a day. I will read, basically, anything I can get my hands on. But if I am reading theoretical stuff, my mind definitely wanders. The only parts I get right away are the concrete examples of the theory. For example, in math, I understand story problems. I understand math that has applied use, but you get into the abstract and I have nothing to hold on to.

Same with science- Biology, chemistry, anatomy, I get. Physics... as much as I'd love to understand and like the idea... hard.

Also, I didn't just pass in school, I excelled- Honors student extraordinaire... minus math. And I was the only Honors student not to get in National Honors Society, if that means anything.

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding how, if I am an ISFP, Ne would make me different. And I have read all of the functions descriptions. Maybe because I need a concrete example?

Oh ps, I very much lived in my own world as a kid. I was pretty much convinced my stuffed animals were alive, although I never believed in Santa Claus and felt no need to.
    I'm sure many ISFPs do (love to read). I think J.K Rowling is probably ISFP. I just mentioned that this one didn't because it shows you don't have to be inclined to do something to be somehow really good at it anyway, and ISFPs may not be inclined to learn in the ways that many schools want them to, but they may still excel if naturally gifted.

This itself may be an example of Se/Ne difference. You thought I mentioned it as a concrete example of what ISFPs are like. I meant it to demonstrate a principle that could be applied more widely. I'm not suggesting this one instance means you must be ISFP, of course, but it might serve as an example of how Se and Ne approach things and communicate.

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    I'm sure many ISFPs do (love to read). I think J.K Rowling is probably ISFP. I just mentioned that this one didn't because it shows you don't have to be inclined to do something to be somehow really good at it anyway, and ISFPs may not be inclined to learn in the ways that many schools want them to, but they may still excel if naturally gifted.

This itself may be an example of Se/Ne difference. You thought I mentioned it as a concrete example of what ISFPs are like. I meant it to demonstrate a principle that could be applied more widely. I'm not suggesting this one instance means you must be ISFP, of course, but it might serve as an example of how Se and Ne approach things and communicate.
    I think you are right on with this. For example, you mentioned J.K. Rowling and my initial reaction is, "I hate J. K. Rowling's books. Therefore, how could I be ISFP?" vs, J.K. Rowling is an ISFP writer, so being an ISFP and a writer is a definite possibility. It's kind of like all of my N friends seem to 'get' when a relationship is not working or when someone is no longer interested and I need it S-P-E-L-L-E-D out. Or I will base the fact that it's working on our physical relationship vs what is said, because words can be manipulated in order to hide. Actions tell the truth. But often people are the other way around.

Thanks for spelling it out for me. No, seriously.

Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Post Thanks / Like

You're very welcome, pleased to help.

Paragon Gone Wrong Array OrangeAppled's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni
    Post Thanks / Like

You sound ISFP from all this...Se over Ne, definitely. My ESFP sister is very smart, did well in school, and enjoys reading (but like you, prefers less theoretical stuff). There's nothing that says SPs have to be airheads and are only hands-on.
    "Happiness is beneficial for the body, but it is grief that develops the powers of the mind." - Proust,
    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx - 451| RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive