• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type me!

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
My final answer (I hope): ENFP with high Fe/Ni showing an XSTJ shadow right now.

Only other possibility: ENFJ with high Ne/Fi showing an ESTJ whatever...

:laugh:

So I won after all? :cheese:

Despite your cool TJ look ;), I've been absolutely convinced of your ENFP-ness now, because no ESTJ in the entire world would keep on re- and re-typing themselves in such an ecclectic way. Your Ne is definitely higher than your Si. This further convinced me that the order of the perceiving functions is the foremost thing to consider when typing people, actually. I knew that no one with strong Si could be so oblivious to their environment :)

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not trying to be difficult. It's just really hard for me to define. I can give you some examples that I *think* are intuition but please do not kill me if I get the examples 'wrong':

1. I instinctively know what students need - the smaller the group, the better. I 'feel' it. I 'know'. (That's really vague...)

2. My mind 'jumps around' quite a bit. I do not have what some people might call 'linear thinking.' In fact, even I look at my thought processes and wonder how I got somewhere. Then, I'll backtrack and fascinate myself. Weird, I know. Over time I have learned to discipline this fault (in college, it was so bad that even a student came up to me and said: "It's obvious that you are smart but maybe you need to think before you speak because you trip over yourself and have a flutter of thoughts; it's hard for others to follow." I mean when a STUDENT comes to you and says that - damn...)

3. Although I often can tell what people feel without evidence, I make errors in figuring out WHY a person feels a certain way, and I usually blame myself without reason. I often get mistaken impressions about others' perception of me because although I am able to analyze situations that involve others very well, I find it VERY difficult to analyze myself or situations where I have a personal stake. In these cases, I'm highly negative, often without cause or evidence.

4. I will have vivid dreams about people I do not consciously think about and sometimes that will have meaning later on. (Not premonitions or anything like that - that's not what I mean).

5. I search for meaning and purpose in everything. Or rather, everything HAS a meaning and a purpose, and it reveals itself at some point, either at the time I notice it, or later on.

6. I connect things, experiences, and subjects (at school) together. Nothing is separate. Everything is joined and relates to everything else. Except math. Math just sucks. <--- Sorry about that Fi judgment, but screw it.

7. Future-oriented, planner, seeking ways to improve myself in intangible ways, although I like to see tangible evidence of my progress.

8. Bursts of inspiration. They hit me and leave as quickly as they came. I do not coax them. They come more often if I am not coaxing and just float.

My brain floats. You know? Well, not literally, but you know what I mean, which leads me to...

9. Abstract thoughts and language.

10. Ability to instinctively know how to adapt to my environment (that might be Se, not sure). I can blend in with my environment without focusing on it all that much. So it's very important that my environment is 'good' and 'supportive' or I go downhill RAPIDLY, spinning into a weaker, less developed me.

11. Introspection. One woman commented as I was in rehab for my back, that unlike many Americans, I had the ability to introspect and did it on a regular basis. We were talking about how I did not feel comfortable in the States, and we were speculating why that might be the case. She was generalizing in a major-league way, but I thought it was interesting that even a nearly-total stranger observed that tendency in my person.

12. Brainstorming. A haphazard nature. I need to be very careful in class, because I have a natural tendency to get 'lost in ideas.' That's why it's REALLY important for me to prepare and structure, which I manage well, as long as I keep myself in check.

13. Love of deep topics. I hate chit-chatting unless it is about people's motivations or about things I am interested in. Otherwise, screw it. Only I don't get as deep as some of those Ni-Nazis and Ti-Nazis who are always begging for ultra-analytical shit. I like topics that have deep repercussions but not necessarily ultra-complicated formulations; rather, the IDEAS should be engaging.

14. Potential-seeking. I never look at conditions as they are, but I see potential for growth. I have a knack for seeing it in others, or in knowing how to tease it out of people. I reach people in real life (on here I couldn't give a shit, so it doesn't come to light on here that much).

15. Newness. I always look for better, more efficient ways of doing things. If things do not bring about long-term benefits, I'm likely to seek something new with more potential (see 14).

Perfect example: I have a job at a technical school, and my contract is valid until January 31. If I am lucky, it will get extended until the end of the school year. If not, I'm sad out of luck. Even if it gets extended, I know I will not get any kind of secure position next year, and more than likely, not in the coming years due to bureaucratic issues I do not want to get into right now.

An S would probably say, "Okay, you have a job now. You have the security, at least for a certain period of time, keep it. Things might change. It's familiar, you like it, do it."

I say, "Yes, it is secure NOW. But what about the future? Can I count on this? Can I count on a guarantee made only verbally, not in writing? What will happen in the coming years? Do I have a long-term perspective? Are they interested in keeping ME, or in just having any old Joe Schmoe?"

When it was clear to me that I did not have the ultimate support of the administration, that they were either unable or unwilling to plan, that they would not give me anything in writing, that they did not have an opportunity for a position next year, that they could only make guarantees (if at all) in six-month increments, I said FUCK THAT! Let's find something else. And I am willing to engage in a moderate amount of risk in the private sector as a freelancer because I know the POTENTIAL is better for me, and it is more REWARDING, even if it is RISKIER. There intuition meets a willingness to take risks (Se) if it makes sense (Te).

Um, is that enough, or should I keep on truckin' away here? :cheese:

VagrantFarce

Um...it happens? Shit happens? LOL No, just kidding. Could you be a bit more specific?

Do you ever sometimes feel like you have a "secret worldview" that others don't share?

Everything is joined and relates to everything else.

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Everything is connected to everything else through contextual awareness, yes? :D

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do you ever sometimes feel like you have a "secret worldview" that others don't share?

^^^ I gave a lot of examples of what I *think* are intuition up there.

Um....secret worldview? Well...I don't know if I would go that far, but I often don't *fit in* with other people, although it is much better here in Germany, perhaps due to cultural factors - not quite sure.

I felt like a total ALIEN in the States.

One woman I knew speculated it was because the States is a very SP-dominant culture. So an NF might feel holy-shit uncomfy there. Not that I have anything against SPs - I love them! Jeffy is one of my favorite people on here, but the SPs on here are way different.

Anyway, it might not have anything to do with that at all. Maybe I'm just bizarre. That could be. :blush:

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Everything is connected to everything else through contextual awareness, yes? :D

Context is everything.

Yes.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
In post 357 you describe yourself as an ENFP. I just want to contrast with your original post where you describe yourself as an ENTJ. I have no idea what type you really are, I'm just telling you which type you are describing yourself as in a particular post.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Your long list above makes you sound more ENFP again.

I think you've gotten all the useful advice you're going to get out of us here. The more you emphasize one side of your personality the more people will say that one sounds likely, and then you emphasize a different side a lot more so people change their minds.

The unavoidable problem here is that none of us know you in real life so it's impossible for us to know when you're providing a balanced self-portrait and when you're not. At the end of the day, you're going to have to decide this for yourself. Our type reads are limited by the scope of information you give us.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Simulated, that is an excellent point, and may I counter by saying that I am a multifaceted person who displays various aspects of my personality. Yes, you are right: I focus on different parts at different times because different aspects have relevance at different times. You cannot give a complete portrayal of something as complex as a human person in one post - in that way, you are completely right when you say that you cannot analyze someone you do not know effectively.

On the other hand, I have considered the possibility that you can analyze me better because you indeed have no personal stake in the matter and can therefore be more objective than I can or my husband can, for example.

With that in mind, the EXFJ result that my husband came up with might be incorrect because he sees me with a blind eye, perhaps.

VagrantFarce

Context is everything.

Yes.

Choose:

Whatever is manifest (apparent, observable, described) is only manifest because it serves a purpose--a purpose that it achieves by exploiting a certain way of interpreting or navigating by signs. There is no absolute truth, becuase truth is a frame of reference, a way of organizing information, which serves one set of needs or another.

Whatever you find, there is something more to find: a broader context, a whole, which will change your understanding of the part, creating new options for meaning and response. Once we've grasped a whole pattern, we can envision options that don't yet exist.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My point is as follows: The first post demonstrates how I was until I reached the age of 25 or so. My post now reflects how I am now, after a bizarre shift that I had in perception. So what can this mean?

I'm not trying to fool you and say, "HA! Try and guess now....hahaha, just threw a monkey wrench to confuse you, guess now....woo hoo, let's say something else and confuse them a little more." I just want to show you the different facets as they reveal themselves to me through introspection.

I honestly don't know what to make of it, sorry. *shrugs* That's why I am asking for advice.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
wow.

maybe you are a friggin ENFP, Linguist.

I'm still wary of your tendency toward J-ness though......Keep that shit under control, will ya? :devil:

VagrantFarce

I swear to god, we'll end up reaching the 200th page of this thread and she'll suddenly realise that she's another bloody INFP. :D

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Simulated, that is an excellent point, and may I counter by saying that I am a multifaceted person who displays various aspects of my personality. Yes, you are right: I focus on different parts at different times because different aspects have relevance at different times. You cannot give a complete portrayal of something as complex as a human person in one post - in that way, you are completely right when you say that you cannot analyze someone you do not know effectively.

On the other hand, I have considered the possibility that you can analyze me better because you indeed have no personal stake in the matter and can therefore be more objective than I can or my husband can, for example.

With that in mind, the EXFJ result that my husband came up with might be incorrect because he sees me with a blind eye, perhaps.

Well, it's just that you're not going to accomplish much when you list a bunch of characteristics that point to ENFP, and then everybody says ENFP, and then you say "OH BUT WAIT ACTUALLY I'M MORE LIKE THIS" and list a bunch of characteristics that point to ESTJ, etc. etc.

If you're having this much trouble with it, maybe you should just not worry about this and find a different hobby. It's really not that significant, honestly.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Whatever is manifest (apparent, observable, described) is only manifest because it serves a purpose--a purpose that it achieves by exploiting a certain way of interpreting or navigating by signs. There is no absolute truth, becuase truth is a frame of reference, a way of organizing information, which serves one set of needs or another.

I see purpose everywhere...it occurs to me. I use signs all the time. Truth is indeed relative and changes, morphs, and develops. I use truth to organize information: I frequently find myself trying to organize the ideas that flow; I look for the optimal ways of organizing and evaluating the insights that make themselves known through these signs.

W
hatever you find, there is something more to find: a broader context, a whole, which will change your understanding of the part, creating new options for meaning and response. Once we've grasped a whole pattern, we can envision options that don't yet exist.

You never stop growing and learning...there is always the potential to learn something a little better, to get a bit more familiar with something.

However, if you want me to make a differentiation, I would say that I get frustrated after a while if the new options do not have a result. Which is why this ferking type thing is driving me nuts.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Not sure where this question is leading, but allow me to follow an inspiration.

Linguist, do you believe that existence/the universe is inherently RATIONAL or IRRATIONAL?