• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type me!

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Don't worry about the S-N difference... My ISTJ boyfriend and another ISTJ friend of mine would probably never type as Ss, because the tests are biased towards N, which is always described as the only thing associated with imagination, abstraction, dreams, anything interesting really, and no one takes into account that Ss can be dreamers with lots of imagination just as much as Ns; they are just more comfortable with reality. My sister also typed INFP, and she's as ISFP as one can be...

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Don't worry about the S-N difference... My ISTJ boyfriend and another ISTJ friend of mine would probably never type as Ss, because the tests are biased towards N, which is always described as the only thing associated with imagination, abstraction, dreams, anything interesting really, and no one takes into account that Ss can be dreamers with lots of imagination just as much as Ns; they are just more comfortable with reality. My sister also typed INFP, and she's as ISFP as one can be...

Exactly. I have huge amounts of imagination - even my husband used träumerisch (dreamy) as one of the adjectives he would use to describe me. But at the end of the day, I dig my hands into reality and I grab the opportunities that arise.

That is one big difference, and I don't want to appear biased in terms of S v N, but it seems like a lot of Ns have what a less-developed S might call, "not having their acts together." Of course, I know it is just because they prefer to think and handle things differently, but it is quite confusing.

Like Eric B told me, ENFP and ESTJ are cognitively very similar, but they differ in one huge respect: ENFPs are completely open/responsive; ESTJs are directive/initating. If I'm honest with myself, although I hate to admit it, although I am indeed very open, I'm quite directive. In addition, I'm slightly more biased towards initiating rather than responding.

That evidence really points in the direction of ESTJ. It's like an ENFP with a....well, I don't want to say 'with a backbone' because that makes it sound like they don't have one, and healthy ones do. BUT I have a drive to get shit done that I have not really seen with my NP counterparts. However, the Ne is so apparent that I do not think we could make a claim for NJ (where Ni would be the dominant factor).

So unless I've misinterpreted Ni for Ne, I'm pretty sure ESTJ is a good fit.

What pisses me off is that people say, "You're too emotional for an ESTJ." or "You're too open and receptive for an ESTJ." or "You don't command people and steamroll people, so you can't be an ESTJ."

Honestly, people, a 'good' ESTJ (for the lack of a better word) doesn't have the need to control people; they are open and receptive because it is just more effective - commanding people to do your will just is NOT going to bring about the best result. If you have power, you do not need to show it. So steamrolling people just indicates a LACK of control in a situation and a furious, inefficient means to REGAIN it. Therefore, it is not to be the primary mode of operation.

Being open and listening is just as important as giving commands and directing. Directing should be an organic process, not a cold, dead one with the 'leader' giving the 'orders.' The more vested people are in the decision-making and implementation process, the more people are engaged, happy, and just do their shit properly.

Secondly, regarding emotions, what is this crappy thing going around about Ts not having emotions? That's bullshit. We have them, but when we have to make decisions, we try to find another way to make decisions. If feelings play a big role, then of course they are there. However, I always think more in a cost-benefit analysis of the situation/people/whatever...

You can't make blanket statements of "I use feelings/ethics to decide; I use rational thinking/SWOT analysis to decide." Ferk, it depends. You have to be wise enough when to use which, and YES there are cases in which deciding with feelings and ethics is simply, well, not appropriate, sorry.

That's the spirit. :tongue: (Bad conclusions can always be undone later. ;) )

Welcome to the J-family! :smile:

Sustain when appropriate; change when necessary.

^^^ That sounded oddly like a slogan from 1984, but whatever...

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Being forgetful and able to make connections makes a person an intuitive and a perceiver? My husband(ISTJ) forgot his car, that he drove, in a parking lot, in another town. It wasn't until we got back home, after hoping a ride with some friends at 2am(no drinking involved), that he remembered that he drove his car and had left it, 30 miles away.:doh: He's very forgetful about many things, but he never forgets to pay bills or do his work. Never. His priority is duty, so those things come first in his mind.

As for making connections, sensors making amazing connections too.

I never said that was connected to percieverness, only intuitiveness ;)

But anyway, you're right, it's not about ability, it's about preference :doh: And as far as I can remember, intuitives prefer to live in the future, which would involve some of those forgetful properties, etc.

Little Linguist,
I would also like to agree with those who complained that this thread contained a lot of 'folk typology'. I doubt that person's behaviors must necessarily mirror their type - it's really more about who you are in your head than who you are in the outside world. In my opinion, the safest way to distinguish Ns and Ss is considering how 'comfortable' they are with reality (the concrete) and imagination (the abstract). If you are very comfortable with reality, and imagination is only your secondary mode, you're most likely an S. If it's the other way round, you're probably an N. It doesn't mean that Ss don't use imagination or abstract thinking, or that they can't 'live in their head'. They can do this as much as Ns, but their primary focus is reality. Similarly, Ns can be as practical and like 'worldly pleasures' as Ss, but their 'home' is always their inner world.

Two more notes: firstly, I beg you not to be so harsh with Ns and their inability to reach their goals - you know, they're more comfortable with their dream world than reality, and it doesn't seem so easy for them to 'find resources' and reach their goals as it does to you.:blush: They often find reality downright confusing, just as Ss have often problems to figure out meanings of books or write philosophical essays. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, and this is one weakness of Ns, especially if their environment never encouraged them to overcome it. Secondly, I don't think that the 'lapse' you experienced in college was an 'INFP shadow'. It was depression, and depression doesn't type. I'd say that our 'opposite qualities' are rather supposed to balance us, as it now balances you, and not bring us down. When things need to get done (especially when some ESTJ teacher forces me:D), I also go into ESTJ mode, and it usually has impressive outcomes, not the opposite.;)

So, enjoy your ESTJ-ness and I wish you success in your teacher career!:)
Spot on :D
+ I like this post a lot... and I had to say that

FERKKKKKKKKKK Why do I keep typing intuitive??? I. AM. NOT. INTUITIVE.

Your Type is
ENTJ
Extraverted Intuitive Thinking Judging
Strength of the preferences %
1 25 12 67

STUPID HUMANMETRICS.

I'm procrastinating. Ferk.

Yes, that's true. All my preferences (except J) are super low. I'm sure that also contributes to the confusion. :blush:

If anyone calls me a P, though, I will kick his ass. Just for the record.

***Perciever Alert***

k, come kick my ass :popc1:

I haven't really heard much of your thoughts on your type you know... most of your posts have been seemingly scattered with results and creative little things, rather than reasons or arguments.

... I'm gonna stop trying to argue against this... :jew:

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I never said that was connected to percieverness, only intuitiveness ;)

But anyway, you're right, it's not about ability, it's about preference :doh: And as far as I can remember, intuitives prefer to live in the future, which would involve some of those forgetful properties, etc.

Spot on :D
+ I like this post a lot... and I had to say that

***Perciever Alert***

k, come kick my ass :popc1:

I haven't really heard much of your thoughts on your type you know... most of your posts have been seemingly scattered with results and creative little things, rather than reasons or arguments.

... I'm gonna stop trying to argue against this... :jew:

***war cry*** ****kicks your ass****

Seriously...results? Creative little things? What does this mean?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I read Keirsey's analysis on teachers to find my style - off to the CollegeZone. Some cool stuff.

Studying:

- I like quiet, neat spaces, or I cannot focus.
- Study groups suck. Totally ineffective.
- I totally do not relate to the Artisan's need to move around and shit. (ADD?)
- Organization is key, or I lose shit.
- Love learning by tutoring. Or by pretending that I am tutoring someone. Learning by helping is freaking AWESOME!
- I need to bounce ideas off of others once I've processed my stuff.
- When I have a goal or project, I'm highly focused and forget real life (eating, drinking, going outside, breathing <--- okay, that's going a bit too far)
- Debates are cool, if active.
- Have competitions with yourself and others to drive you.

Teaching:

- Have specific rules and expectations that are flexible within tolerable limits for emergency situations.
- Like organization and structure, but flexible enough to be able to adapt when necessary
- Dynamic classes where others participate are good.
- Try to apply practical uses to theory.
- Not super-precise - leave practical application open for interpretation
- Individualized attention when possible
- Lots of praise when deserved; help given if proven worthy; disapproval shown if deserved.
- Fair, consistent evaluation
- Try to master the subject as well as I can and fill in any potential gaps as I go
- Challenge people to think for themselves when possible

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I read Keirsey's analysis on teachers to find my style - off to the CollegeZone. Some cool stuff.

Studying:

- I like quiet, neat spaces, or I cannot focus.
- Study groups suck. Totally ineffective.
- I totally do not relate to the Artisan's need to move around and shit. (ADD?)
- Organization is key, or I lose shit.
- Love learning by tutoring. Or by pretending that I am tutoring someone. Learning by helping is freaking AWESOME!
- I need to bounce ideas off of others once I've processed my stuff.
- When I have a goal or project, I'm highly focused and forget real life (eating, drinking, going outside, breathing <--- okay, that's going a bit too far)
- Debates are cool, if active.
- Have competitions with yourself and others to drive you.

Teaching:

- Have specific rules and expectations that are flexible within tolerable limits for emergency situations.
- Like organization and structure, but flexible enough to be able to adapt when necessary
- Dynamic classes where others participate are good.
- Try to apply practical uses to theory.
- Not super-precise - leave practical application open for interpretation
- Individualized attention when possible
- Lots of praise when deserved; help given if proven worthy; disapproval shown if deserved.
- Fair, consistent evaluation
- Try to master the subject as well as I can and fill in any potential gaps as I go
- Challenge people to think for themselves when possible

if you want specific examples, im 110% positive that a recent teacher of mine is ESTJ. Id say it goes beyond "being S". Its not necessarily a "one size fits all" that marks them out either...

--Si has a sort of appreciation for the past, and "its wisdom". i dont think the history focus is a stereotype. Everyone knows some history, but this type likes to relate it to the present in any way that it can (like always)

--they like using example stories/metaphors/analogies/try to keep the examples interesting (Ne), but they arent really "tangent"

--effective vs ineffective course structure (the ESTJ is bare bones but thorough with notes, hand outs, scheduled lectures and tests...the "bad" structure i find comes with the ISFJs lol)

--they like to talk. a lot. Gift of glib when either giving "practical advice" (get some more sleep because.../heres my advice on job searches/etc) or about their technical subject of interest. I find that this differentiates them from ESFJs. ESTJs tend to have a certain subject that they get into the technical aspects of.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
if you want specific examples, im 110% positive that a recent teacher of mine is ESTJ. Id say it goes beyond "being S". Its not necessarily a "one size fits all" that marks them out either...

--Si has a sort of appreciation for the past, and "its wisdom". i dont think the history focus is a stereotype. Everyone knows some history, but this type likes to relate it to the present in any way that it can (like always)

--they like using example stories/metaphors/analogies/try to keep the examples interesting (Ne), but they arent really "tangent"

--effective vs ineffective course structure (the ESTJ is bare bones but thorough with notes, hand outs, scheduled lectures and tests...the "bad" structure i find comes with the ISFJs lol)

--they like to talk. a lot. Gift of glib when either giving "practical advice" (get some more sleep because.../heres my advice on job searches/etc) or about their technical subject of interest. I find that this differentiates them from ESFJs. ESTJs tend to have a certain subject that they get into the technical aspects of.

Well, damn, when you say it like that...!

1. I like history; it is one of my favorite pasttimes. However, if I had to choose between always looking back in the past or always looking forward, I will look forward.

2. I can be tangential. But I don't know just how bad it is as compared to other Ne dom/aux/Tert. Maybe I am just being hard on myself.

3. My teaching is very, very structured but has enough leeway to allow for deviations when it is appropriate.

4. I do talk a lot, but I do not know if I am always practical. I mean: That would be nice, but I'm not so sure. One of my students accused me of being too theoretical. Start off with something practical and then launch into theory, like, "Whew, got that out of the way, now let's do some theory!!" LOL I laughed my ass off, because I actually thought I was pretty practical in class. :doh:

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay, okay, okay, I admit it. I'm ENF...something. But ENFJ or ENFP? I really relate to both, but I relate the most to this description, almost completely:

Idealist Portrait of the Teacher (ENFJ)
Even more than the other Idealists, Teachers have a natural talent for leading students or trainees toward learning, or as Idealists like to think of it, they are capable of calling forth each learner's potentials. Teachers (around two percent of the population) are able - effortlessly, it seems, and almost endlessly-to dream up fascinating learning activities for their students to engage in. In some Teachers, this ability to fire the imagination can amount to a kind of genius which other types find hard to emulate. But perhaps their greatest strength lies in their belief in their students. Teachers look for the best in their students, and communicate clearly that each one has untold potential, and this confidence can inspire their students to grow and develop more than they ever thought possible.

In whatever field they choose, Teachers consider people their highest priority, and they instinctively communicate personal concern and a willingness to become involved. Warmly outgoing, and perhaps the most expressive of all the types, Teachers are remarkably good with language, especially when communicating in speech, face to face. And they do not hesitate to speak out and let their feelings be known. Bubbling with enthusiasm, Teachers will voice their passions with dramatic flourish, and can, with practice, become charismatic public speakers. This verbal ability gives Teachers a good deal of influence in groups, and they are often asked to take a leadership role.

Teachers like things settled and organized, and will schedule their work hours and social engagements well ahead of time-and they are absolutely trustworthy in honoring these commitments. Valuing as they do interpersonal cooperation and harmonious relations, Teachers are extraordinarily tolerant of others, are easy to get along with, and are usually popular wherever they are.

Teachers are highly sensitive to others, which is to say their intuition tends to be well developed. Certainly their insight into themselves and others is unparalleled. Without a doubt, they know what is going on inside themselves, and they can read other people with uncanny accuracy. Teachers also identify with others quite easily, and will actually find themselves picking up the characteristics, emotions, and beliefs of those around them. Because they slip almost unconsciously into other people's skin in this way, Teachers feel closely connected with those around them, and thus show a sincere interest in the joys and problems of their employees, colleagues, students, clients, and loved ones.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You're probably an ENFJ. My first guess for you was INFJ before we got onto this whole STJ kick.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
I like the descriptions from the book Im quoting below...

Taken from "The 16 personality types - Descriptions for selfdiscovery" by Linda Berens and Dario Nardi

ENFP

Themes

For Discoverer Advocates, life is a process of inspiring and facilitating others to find and reach their full potential. They have a talent for seeing the core of someone, the unspoken essential goodness. They become the spokesperson for others, for what is needed most and for their higher purpose. They enjoy exploring perceptions and sharing deep emotional content, the "real stuff". This sharing is a magical moment when they truly connect. They constantly seek to have ideal relationships where they can have many ideal moments. To not have these empathetic moments is like being cut off from themselves.

Life is like a story. Stories provide ways to find meaning and to make a difference and provide the connecting thread that helps them know and understand others and through the situations.

Their thought process seem random; however, they are connective and relational. They are able to mediate differences and conflict by seeing the ways the differences connect. They often become the "voice" for the unspoken meanings they so easily pick up. They strive to keep communication channels open to make the best of a situation. They have a way of making things work without knowing why, which gives them the air of being magical as they respond courageously to their insights. The creative process is an important part of their lives.

In the interpersonal arena, they often instantly like people or not. Liking the people they are with is important. With their talent for seeing what's not being said, they often responds to others needs while putting their own needs and wants on hold. They like to spark something in others that others don't see themselves. They must be able to authentically live with themselves and seek to recognize happiness wherever it is.

They often feel a strong need to discover a definitive direction for themselves. They want the magical situtation to be permanent so are paradoxically on a continual quest for direction, resulting in a feeling of unrest.

Relationships

For Discoverer Advocates, relationships are about being on the same wavelength. People often get the sense they are understood perfectly by them. They are so perceptive in the moment that they read and mirror the other person's mood , the meaning of the other persons behavior, and when they're on, they're really right and everything feels in sync. The downside is they can make a lot of assumptions and projections that are sometimes really wrong. They can establish rapport instantly, can be charming and flirtatious in a way that uniquely connects with the other person. They frequently do whatever it takes to understand the deep meaning in what others do. Others may feel strangely connected with them, as if they have known them forever, and yet know nothing about them. They are uncanny at being the center of attention without being the topic of conversation. Getting at deep issues is important to them, and in the process, they are often catalysts for change. They want everyone to engage.

In their close relationships, they are romanticizing and idealistic. They want to share interests, ideas, and activities. Their ideal is a twin-like relationship. participating with each other, sharing the experience of it, where the relationship is real-time, live and in-person, with each other's beliefs the same. When that ideal connection is not there, they can become disillusioned and disappointed. They are often supportive of their partner's efforts to develop his or her potential and want to be supported and nurtured in return.

Taken from "The 16 personality types - Descriptions for selfdiscovery" by Linda Berens and Dario Nardi

ENFJ

Themes

For Envisioner Mentors, life is a process of succeeding at relationships. There can never be enough truly empathic relationships to foster mutual growth. They enjoy the creative process in many forms and often bring a fresh view on projects they enthusiastically work on. Realizing dreams - their own and others - is what life is all about. To not have dreams to manifest and a chance to communicate and share values is to live a life with no meaning and purpose, a fate worse than death.

For them, all of life is about the interpersonal, and they constantly seek opportunities to grow together through relationships. There are times when they value logical explanations. Having realizations that foster development and help them understand why the world is the way it is helps them lead a purposeful life. Learning from relationships is important and occasionally painful.

Their thought processes tend to be integrative and global as they seek to find ways to help others know themselves and their life's mission. Heeding the call to a life work or mission is tremendously important to them, and they are readily available to others to help reveal to them their unique purpose. Sometimes they find themselves knowing what they do not want to know, yet to shut off their empathic knowing is to shut off a vital life force.

In the interpersonal realm, they often find that their ease in connecting with others becomes a hindrance to their own well-being as they get lost in the relationship and lose sight of their own indentity until they learn to set boundaries. They often use their intuitive intellect to reconcile the past and the future as they seek to understand the meaning and significance of life events.

With such a talent for seeing potential in others and focus on realizing that potential, they often find living in the present difficult. By the time an event happens, they have already lived it.

Relationships

For Envisioner Mentors, relationships are about connecting. Life is all about relating empathetically, and people need lots of attention and commitment. Nurturing relationships is what they live for. There must be a sense of connection, to feel known, understood, needed, reassured, and praised. They often find themselves acting informally as counselors, even if that is not their profession. And that fulfills their daily dose of connection. The downside is they can become overburdened with others problems. They invest a lot in all their relationships, work or personal, creating a standard others may not be able to return. If forgiveness, honesty, and consideration are not present, they work to bring them in. Without them, a relationship is not worthwhile. For anything to work with a person, the relationship has to work. When there is conflict, problems will have to be talked about and healed before going on. They tend to be open and sharing, and they expect others to self-disclose, especially in the interest of resolving issues. They have a way of getting others to feel at ease and open up.

In their close relationships, they put a lot of energy into nurturing the relationship. There is a constant search for the ideal relationship where there is both friendship and romance with someone they can share everything with, especially meaning and purpose. Sometimes they have a hard time seperating from their ideal and objectivity eludes them. The more abrupt style of others often leads to hurt feelings, which they nurse internally. Their style is to easily communicate affection and appreciation with just the right message. Too much time alone leaves them needy, yet they need time to reflect on their own meaning and purpose too.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay, okay, okay, SolitaryWalker, I admit, you're probably right with your ENFP assessment. I give up already. ***white flag*** My job is making my shadow a b---- I think...:blush: Good thing, I'm leaving it soon, and can do something a bit more fun and using my talents! :yes:

S

Sniffles

You're probably an ENFJ. My first guess for you was INFJ before we got onto this whole STJ kick.

I said it once, I'll say it again: there's no way LL is INFJ, as much as I would like that to be. Her ways are too strange and alien(abeit intriguing) to my species. :D

Jaguar

What's wrong with my signature??? It's TRUE! :wacko:

Hey there LL,

It's not that there is anything "wrong" with your sig,
it's the fact that what we put in our sigline is usually something we truly believe.
(My own sig is no exception.)

Your sig strikes me as anything but XSTJ.
As a matter of fact, I don't even think you are a T.
I could be dead wrong, but I think your mouth is fooling people.
I think it's reactionary rather than part of your true identity.

My vibe on you is very F, not T.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey there LL,

It's not that there is anything "wrong" with your sig,
it's the fact that what we put in our sigline is usually something we truly believe.
(My own sig is no exception.)

Your sig strikes me as anything but XSTJ.
As a matter of fact, I don't even think you are a T.
I could be dead wrong, but I think your mouth is fooling people.
I think it's reactionary rather than part of your true identity.

My vibe on you is very F, not T.

My final answer (I hope): ENFP with high Fe/Ni showing an XSTJ shadow right now.

Only other possibility: ENFJ with high Ne/Fi showing an ESTJ whatever...