User Tag List

First 12526061626364 Last

Results 611 to 620 of 690

Thread: Type me!

  1. #611
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Yes, I do. You do realize that most people who come to a conclusion about their own personality type, including those who take the official MBTI, do not come to that conclusion based on determining dominant and auxiliary functions, right?
    So your point is that most people don't understand the system in depth?

    Yeah, I think I can definitely agree with that. I'm not sure why you think strength in numbers proves the superiority of ignorance, though.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  2. #612
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    This thread makes me feel better about the one I made.

    But seriously. ENFP. Ne is driveling all over this shit like chocolate moose on watermelon.

    Wow...um, Tater...I thought my goat dancing to an accordian was win, but...

  3. #613
    Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    That picture is effing nasty. Just saying.

    And I still think I'm ENF. J.

    And I think PeaceBaby is right. I need a break. You go on analyzing, and I will read it when I have more distance.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

  4. #614
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    That picture is effing nasty. Just saying.

    And I still think I'm ENF. J.
    I think you rightly could be...I suggested INFJ about 37 pages ago because I was under the impression that you were an introvert. But ENFJ works too.

    Except that ENFJ doesn't use Te.

  5. #615
    Senior Member NewEra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    I
    Posts
    3,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    And I think PeaceBaby is right. I need a break. You go on analyzing, and I will read it when I have more distance.
    I was the one who said it first...

    Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    You know what would help if you're having trouble typing yourself? I would say get away from MBTI for a while (try a week if it's not difficult), and then come back after this time with an open mind, read the type descriptions, be honest, and type yourself (preferably without using these tests at first).

  6. #616
    veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    6,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    So your point is that most people don't understand the system in depth?

    Yeah, I think I can definitely agree with that. I'm not sure why you think strength in numbers proves the superiority of ignorance, though.
    No, that's not my point at all. My point is that there is more than one way to skin a cat. And even if all cat-skinning dates back to the work of Eldrad The Cat Skinner, Steven Q. Typeguy can teach someone to skin a cat a certain way without that someone knowing anything about Eldrad and everything is still okay.

    You have a human being. That human being takes the MBTI, answering questions that determine four sets of preferences. The test results say ENFJ. The description of that type's usual behavior fits. The human being is confident in saying "I am an ENFJ." But, wait! Suzie Q. Junglover comes along and says "I see no evidence of Fe dominance in you. Fe is blahblahblah and you don't do that, you do bluhbluhbluh, which clearly means you are Fi rather than Fe. And I know what I'm talking about, because I understand the system in depth." Human being is confused. He answered the test questions honestly. The descriptions he finds of ENFJ sound more like him than the ENFP ones, yet Suzie and her good friend Ryan W. Functionface are telling him he's wrong.

    Is anyone truly right or wrong in this scenario? Does it really matter? It seems to me that it only matters if it's important to Human being. And he already has his answer, so why are Suzy and Ryan trying to muck things up? So they can flex some sort of intellectual arrogance muscles over "knowing the system?" Forgive me if I go with Human to have been right the first time. And tell Suze and Ry that they are only complicating matters and not helping anything.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

    "I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

    The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

  7. #617
    Babylon Candle Venom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    No, that's not my point at all. My point is that there is more than one way to skin a cat. And even if all cat-skinning dates back to the work of Eldrad The Cat Skinner, Steven Q. Typeguy can teach someone to skin a cat a certain way without that someone knowing anything about Eldrad and everything is still okay.

    You have a human being. That human being takes the MBTI, answering questions that determine four sets of preferences. The test results say ENFJ. The description of that type's usual behavior fits. The human being is confident in saying "I am an ENFJ." But, wait! Suzie Q. Junglover comes along and says "I see no evidence of Fe dominance in you. Fe is blahblahblah and you don't do that, you do bluhbluhbluh, which clearly means you are Fi rather than Fe. And I know what I'm talking about, because I understand the system in depth." Human being is confused. He answered the test questions honestly. The descriptions he finds of ENFJ sound more like him than the ENFP ones, yet Suzie and her good friend Ryan W. Functionface are telling him he's wrong.

    Is anyone truly right or wrong in this scenario? Does it really matter? It seems to me that it only matters if it's important to Human being. And he already has his answer, so why are Suzy and Ryan trying to muck things up? So they can flex some sort of intellectual arrogance muscles over "knowing the system?" Forgive me if I go with Human to have been right the first time. And tell Suze and Ry that they are only complicating matters and not helping anything.



  8. #618
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    No, that's not my point at all. My point is that there is more than one way to skin a cat. And even if all cat-skinning dates back to the work of Eldrad The Cat Skinner, Steven Q. Typeguy can teach someone to skin a cat a certain way without that someone knowing anything about Eldrad and everything is still okay.

    You have a human being. That human being takes the MBTI, answering questions that determine four sets of preferences. The test results say ENFJ. The description of that type's usual behavior fits. The human being is confident in saying "I am an ENFJ." But, wait! Suzie Q. Junglover comes along and says "I see no evidence of Fe dominance in you. Fe is blahblahblah and you don't do that, you do bluhbluhbluh, which clearly means you are Fi rather than Fe. And I know what I'm talking about, because I understand the system in depth." Human being is confused. He answered the test questions honestly. The descriptions he finds of ENFJ sound more like him than the ENFP ones, yet Suzie and her good friend Ryan W. Functionface are telling him he's wrong.

    Is anyone truly right or wrong in this scenario? Does it really matter? It seems to me that it only matters if it's important to Human being. And he already has his answer, so why are Suzy and Ryan trying to muck things up? So they can flex some sort of intellectual arrogance muscles over "knowing the system?" Forgive me if I go with Human to have been right the first time. And tell Suze and Ry that they are only complicating matters and not helping anything.
    Yes Jeffster, it's all for the purpose of flexing intellectual arrogance muscles. We don't actually believe any of the things we're saying here. We just make up fancy terminology and big words because we enjoy making you and others feel stupid. You got us! I guess now we'll have to renounce function theory; turns out it's totally useless. Good work!
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  9. #619
    Babylon Candle Venom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Yes Jeffster, it's all for the purpose of flexing intellectual arrogance muscles. We don't actually believe any of the things we're saying here. We just make up fancy terminology and big words because we enjoy making you and others feel stupid. You got us! I guess now we'll have to renounce function theory; turns out it's totally useless. Good work!
    Way to totally miss the point.

    He never said the function theory is necessarily wrong. Even if he did, his main point was that there is more than one way to skin a cat, and more than one way to draw a map (probably a better analogy) that accurately describes the terrain. The function method has clearly failed with LL, so perhaps its time try some other topography techniques?

  10. #620
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    Way to totally miss the point.

    He never said the function theory is necessarily wrong. Even if he did, his main point was that there is more than one way to skin a cat, and more than one way to draw a map (probably a better analogy) that accurately describes the terrain. The function method has clearly failed with LL, so perhaps its time try some other topography techniques?
    Jeffster is constantly on an anti-functions crusade. Not coincidentally, Jeffster likes reminding everyone of how little iNtuition he uses and how he doesn't think most Sensors have strong iNtuitive abilities.

    Perhaps if Jeffster exercised a little more iNtuition he would recognize the value in this system that he's already written off as not literal/concrete/S-friendly enough to be useful.

    That's like saying, "I stick to Newtonian physics because it's easier and makes more sense to me. I haven't really bothered studying any of the principles behind Einstein's relativity because I think it's really hard and convoluted, so it's meaningless and stupid for anyone to use it."

    Well, of course it's meaningless to you if you haven't bothered to learn the necessary background for utilizing it. That doesn't really prove the superiority of a more simplistic system; it just proves that you're too lazy to learn the more complex one. There are many physics situations where Newtonian physics lacks the complexity to explain what's really going on--the fact that you haven't made a serious effort to understand relativity doesn't just magically make Newton's method explain everything in physics to the same degree.

    You can chalk this up to "different opinions" all you want, but it doesn't obscure the fact that your uneducated opinions on functions reveal very clearly that you simply don't understand them.

    The basic four dichotomy system is useful to a certain degree, but only in terms of categorizing surface behaviors. If you want to discuss deeper internal motivations, you need more than just this.

    The funny part to me is that I'm not denouncing Jeffster's system, but he is denouncing mine. I think both methods have uses, and I find it hypocritical that he preaches a message of "yeah dude there's more than one way to do things!" and then turns around and constantly bashes the functional method, as if he's more interested in appearing open and flexible than he is in actually being flexible or open to different ideas.

    I used to do typology strictly according to MBTI's four dichotomies. Then I read about functions and discovered that one method is good for basic surface reading, and the other does a much better job of explaining internal motivations. If Jeffster is all about being open to different approaches, why is he the one consistently condemning my approach and refusing to listen to other options?

    His argument inevitably boils down to, "I like the MBTI approach because it's easier and doesn't require any intuition." And for some reason he seems to think the fact that he either doesn't have or chooses not to use the skills associated with functional theory invalidates it as a methodology, which is absurd.

    But he'll still preach the value of "more than one way to skin a cat", despite his obvious insistence that there's only one way that has any merit. Why do you suppose that is?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Similar Threads

  1. How would you type me as a child?
    By Kiddo in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-13-2014, 05:14 PM
  2. Blah, type me...
    By runvardh in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-30-2008, 06:05 PM
  3. Enneagram-type me!
    By Haphazard in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 08-18-2008, 10:41 PM
  4. Type Me (New and Improved With Marmite Flavour!)
    By Tigerlily in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 240
    Last Post: 07-25-2008, 12:46 AM
  5. First post- please help type me!
    By Annuit Coeptis in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-21-2008, 03:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO