First 22303132333442 Last

Thread: Type me!

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Little Linguist is a "J". Her behavior and opinions over a life-time seem to reflect that, internally and externally. She is a J. People don't "learn" to be Js - my grandfather's wife attempted to make me a J and she failed miserably. Little Linguist is not an ENFP. She very much strikes me as an INFJ in her manner and speech, and STJ in her preoccupations and habits..
    Most people have a hard time learning to be organized (J), yet some under certain circumstances manage to make it. For example people who were forced to go to the army.

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    If all but one ENFP and an INFP say that Little Linguist is not an NFP (including Little Linguist denying it herself with totally unnecesary vehemence) I'm pretty certain she is NOT an ENFP.
    You're free to believe in whatever you'd like but what others say amounts to no more than mere folk typology. We don't even know that the people you're talking about are ENFPs or INFPs or that they have any idea of what a type is to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    We're not talking about Ni explaining a concept. We're talking about her explaining herself. If she was Ni-aux, I'd expect her to be able to comment on her own inner world. It may not be clear to other people, but I don't think it would amount to an admission of having no idea herself....
    A lot of people who use Ni dont even know that Ni is one of their natural preferences as they really are that confused by folk typology. Besides the conceptual muddle that surrounds the typical typological discussions, there is another reason why many Ni people don't know their true type. Quite a few of them find that their thoughts are so abstract and divorced from reality, that they could never make any sense of what is going on in their minds. Since they cannot understand what their thoughts are like, they struggle to even begin describing their inner life to others. For that reason they often won't even try to explain their views to others, and will find describing somethign so complex, subjective and abstract as their inner life to be terribly daunting.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    I would personally embrace either one once it has been proven as truth. I have no bias one way or another, and I would appreciate being an S-type as much as an N. However, we have to make sure it is based in truth.

It is hard to use concrete language to explain something so ethereal.
    You seem to seek hard evidence for truth about your internal self and that further supports my opinion that you are Te-dom. There's a distrust of the Fi function.

I'd say that...

Ni sees the past and its patterns and creates something new from it, which ultimately makes it future focused and visionary. It seems to be less of a step-by-step thought process than a sudden awareness. Probably why Ni-doms often cannot explain how they came to a conclusion.

Si sees the past as a guide and tries to maintain that standard in the present as it trusts "tried and true". I think it's also an awareness more than a line of reasoning. Si-doms tend to use "that's just how it is" when pushed for explanations on why you should do it the same way as always.

Does either ring a bell?
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

LL, listen to SolitaryWalker, he knows what he is talking about. You're mentally disorganized, I strongly believe you are not a J. You've just learned J habits. A person's true tendencies is not seen in their behavior, despite what other people on this forum seem to think. Even if that were so, there is nothing J about this craziness of a thread (no offense).

And the Te: ENFP with well developed Te and possibly underdeveloped Fi. Does anyone else not see that, it seems so obvious...? Sure, she may not be like the archetypal ENFP or other ENFPs you may know, but the preferences are lining up with E, N, F, and P.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

*ponders*

If I had to choose between Ni and Si, I'd choose...um...neither? LOL no. It depends on the situation. I'd say Ni would be more familiar, but Si is also useful.

YOU KNOW WHAT MY PROBLEM IS???

Everyone is talking in all these absolutes! I'm NOT an absolute person! Look at my preferences - they are all barely there. Slightly thinking here, slightly directive there....motive here, pragmatic there....I can't say I prefer being logical or emotive. I'm both. I can't say I like being practical or abstract. I'm both. I can't say I like being directive or initiating....I am both.

I have conflicting traits that make it difficult to type. That's why I need your help.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

stop asking strangers to analyze you and you'll be a lot happier.

edit: i went through a similar thing a few years ago. its called self discovery and it's a lifelong thing. it just gets easier to deal with as you grow older.

MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    stop asking strangers to analyze you and you'll be a lot happier.

edit: i went through a similar thing a few years ago. its called self discovery and it's a lifelong thing. it just gets easier to deal with as you grow older.
    I hope it gets easier, because this is a royal pain in the...yeah...

I wish growing and developing were easier.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    *ponders*

If I had to choose between Ni and Si, I'd choose...um...neither? LOL no. It depends on the situation. I'd say Ni would be more familiar, but Si is also useful.

YOU KNOW WHAT MY PROBLEM IS???

Everyone is talking in all these absolutes! I'm NOT an absolute person! Look at my preferences - they are all barely there. Slightly thinking here, slightly directive there....motive here, pragmatic there....I can't say I prefer being logical or emotive. I'm both. I can't say I like being practical or abstract. I'm both. I can't say I like being directive or initiating....I am both.

I have conflicting traits that make it difficult to type. That's why I need your help.
    Types are absolutes, yet personalities are not. Good luck to you if you wish to keep on trying to describe your personality in typological terms. Typology can only tell you about some of the basic tendencies of thought that you have. The link between the many qualities of character that you have and your type is weak. For that reason, I don't think you can discover what your type is by trying to understand what your personality qualities are. You won't be able to easily deduce former from the latter because many qualities that you have are a result fo your personal experiences and qualities unique to your personality rather than a result of your type.

I think by now I suggest you stop wasting your time. Or for the very least, read Jung's Psychological Types. Maybe that will change your method of doing typology from personality-focused to unconscious disposition focused. This is obviously necessary because what you're doing will never work. This thread has gone over 200 posts and you still don't know what your type is. I bet that whatever conclusions you arrive at here could be changed in a month as our personalities are that easily altered by our circumstances. For that reason it just does not make any sense to establish your type on the basis of such fleeting qualities.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Types are absolutes, yet personalities are not. Good luck to you if you wish to keep on trying to describe your personality in typological terms. Typology can only tell you about some of the basic tendencies of thought that you have. The link between the many qualities of character that you have and your type is weak. For that reason, I don't think you can discover what your type is by trying to understand what your personality qualities are. You won't be able to easily deduce former from the latter because many qualities that you have are a result fo your personal experiences and qualities unique to your personality rather than a result of your type.

I think by now I suggest you stop wasting your time. Or for the very least, read Jung's Psychological Types. Maybe that will change your method of doing typology from personality-focused to unconscious disposition focused.
    Thank you for all your input. It really helped, and I think you may be right. I just need to think about everything for a while.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...rojection.html

:steam:

p.s.:

Quote Originally Posted by Ni and Se
    Introverted Intuition is a way of orienting yourself to your environment by consciously attending to the expected interpretations of things. In this manner of orientation, you hold agnostic about whether those interpretations are true. You view them as expected interpretations, nothing more. Your world is a world of expected interpretations defined by others; you navigate through those interpretations and use them without regard to whether they're true, always keeping the interpretations separate in your mind from the actual objects.

For example, whereas from an Extraverted Sensation perspective, you might feel very impressed upon meeting a man wearing a fancy Italian suit (signs call forth a natural response and need no interpretation); from an Ni perspective, you would consciously say to yourself that he's wearing an Italian suit and this is supposed to make you think he's wealthy or upper-class or really has his act together or something like that, and therefore is supposed to make you feel impressed (signs and what they mean are connected only arbitrarily). Whether he really does have his act together is a matter upon which you reserve judgement. Consequently you don't feel impressed. You merely note the expected interpretation as no less a part of your environment than the suit itself.

Without knowing the expected interpretations of a system--the way signs are interpreted within that system, and the expected responses that make the system work--you can't get oriented via Ni. The expected interpretations must be stabilized and clear to you. Then you can comment from an outside perspective, or see ways to respond to the signs that violate the system's assumptions, or simply know how to operate the thing. First you have to get "outside" it, then you can deal with it. The process of "getting outside it" can take a long time. As you identify expected interpretations, you find yourself uncovering ever more and more hidden assumptions, and you feel the need to distance yourself from those, too, before you get your hands dirty or draw a conclusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ne and Si
    Extraverted Intuition (Ne) is the attitude that the unknown is filled with wonderful things. To make use of them, you must be flexible in your goals. If you try to set things up so that only something known to be good can happen, you close your eyes to the zillions of opportunities that you can't know or define in terms of what you know now. As more of the unknown becomes clear, the more it changes your understanding of the (currently) known.

To live, then, you need to continuously welcome the unknown, by always being ready to adjust in unanticipatable ways. What seems like a mistake is not a mistake when viewed in a larger pattern--and it's your job to find that larger pattern.

(Compare Introverted Sensation, which leads to the exact opposite attitude toward the unknown. Ne says to anchor yourself nowhere, so you can continuously adapt to exploit unknown opportunities; Si says to anchor yourself firmly to what matters regardless of change, in order to keep out the unknown and its attendant, unknowable risks.)
    You can only have one of these pairs, and they're rather different from each other, so hopefully you can understand the difference and maybe see yourself in the descriptions.
    Hello

MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post

:steam:

p.s.:

You can only have one of these pairs, and they're rather different from each other, so hopefully you can understand the difference and maybe see yourself in the descriptions.
    "...immobility never lasts, the earth never sits still. If you just sit in one place, how could you possibly go anywhere?"

"...such a brutal, sensate landscape. why do people settle for animalistic immediacy? I'm not an animal, that's for sure. I'll conceive my own reality, on my own terms."

Although I do both, I guess the second is more accurate. (Ne, Si)