First 21293031323341 Last

Thread: Type me!

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    You're so right. I wish I could solve this and get it over with. I have the 17th type along with Babylon Candle, who seems to be having the exact same dilemma as me right now. (YAY for someone who is like me! Wait, do I want to wish that on anyone?)
    My best guess is that you're both ENFPs who got carried away by academic subjects and were misled into believing you were Thinking types.

In many posts both of you seem to have a much easier time shifting from subject to subject and drawing conclusion on a purely intuitive basis rather than analytical. Even dominant N NTs on this forum and academia in general tend to be much more cautious and conservative in their reasoning.

The fact that you still reason in this way despite that you got involved in an academic climate that offers almost no reinforcement to this kind of thinking (generally academics reward focused, specific and sequential thought), suggests that your natural tendencies still make themselves known, despite the fact that the environment offers no incentive for you to let these tendencies show.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    My best guess is that you're both ENFPs who got carried away by academic subjects and were misled into believing you were Thinking types.

In many posts both of you seem to have a much easier time shifting from subject to subject and drawing conclusion on a purely intuitive basis rather than analytical. Even dominant N NTs on this forum and academia in general tend to be much more cautious and conservative in their reasoning.

The fact that you still reason in this way despite that you got involved in an academic climate that offers almost no reinforcement to this kind of thinking (generally academics reward focused, specific and sequential thought), suggests that your natural tendencies still make themselves known, despite the fact that the environment offers no incentive for you to let these tendencies show.
    Plenty of NFs are involved in academia. Being a good student or being interested in knowledge for the sheer love of it does not an NT make. However, her intense love of structure and other clues caused me to lean ISTJ. If we are once again leaning toward NF, I have to insist that she's xNFJ, probably INFJ. I sincerely do not see the case for ENFP, and I've noticed at least three or four other ENFPs in this thread expressing similar doubts.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Could be. But that would indicate that I would have to struggle in academia and thank my good fortune that I managed to make it. On the contrary, I'm actually quite successful (not I do not intend to sound crass or haughty).

Perhaps your line of work rewards this kind of thinking over all, but I have had no problems in academia - neither at university, nor post-graduate scholarships, nor as a teacher. SO.....

That notwithstanding, I think you have a valid point with the dominant intuition. Perhaps I am ENFP/Enneagram 1, which makes a very bizarre combination, leading one to think I am a TJ.

Or perhaps I am a different type - we'll see.

IF I am an ENFP (which several ENFPs here seem to question, and I do as well) then it can only be explained through this bizarre combination.

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Plenty of NFs are involved in academia. Being a good student or being interested in knowledge for the sheer love of it does not an NT make. However, her intense love of structure and other clues caused me to lean ISTJ. If we are once again leaning toward NF, I have to insist that she's xNFJ, probably INFJ. I sincerely do not see the case for ENFP, and I've noticed at least three or four other ENFPs in this thread expressing similar doubts.
    Right. The only valid case I heard was ENFP/1. Otherwise, I just have to shake my head. And this manifests in practical ways - check it out. You have all the ENFPs developing complex, haphazard methods to keep the sexuality forum in place because of their innate desire to have freedom of this and that. My idea? Personal responsibility, and if that fails. OUT! OUT! You knew the limits, you screwed up after multiple warnings. OUT!
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    What gives you the feeling I am a competent Si-user?
    You're looking to the past to create a rule for your present. As mentioned in this thread many times, you seem to value "normalcy".

Maybe you're ENTJ, but usually people who posses competent Ni can explain it better. I have a hard time seeing you as anything but Te-dom, from your examples anyway.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    You're looking to the past to create a rule for your present. As mentioned in this thread many times, you seem to value "normalcy".

Maybe you're ENTJ, but usually people who posses competent Ni can explain it better. I have a hard time seeing you as anything but Te-dom, from your examples anyway.
    I would personally embrace either one once it has been proven as truth. I have no bias one way or another, and I would appreciate being an S-type as much as an N. However, we have to make sure it is based in truth.

It is hard to use concrete language to explain something so ethereal.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I don't think that any behavior makes you an NT or any certain type, but the fact that some behavior may be very natural to you likely does. So, if you like using your imagination, it doesn't follow that you're an N as this could be a learned trait for you rather than a natural. However, if using your imagination has always been naturally rewarding for you, then indeed you are quite likely an N.

If a person is organized in his or her activities, does it mean that he or she is a J? Not really, Ps could have acquired qualities that come naturally to Js through experience. As an ENP, one only needs to get comfortable using the third function. It does not seem terribly difficult.

Generally I would regard the opinions of other ENFPs or other people as irrelevant. Most people on this forum are concerned with an activity that can be called 'folk typology'. That is, they have some vague idea of what it means to be a certain type, and assume that you just need to have some certain behaviors to be this or that type.

We usually don't know what they mean when they say that somebody is an 'ENFP', or what behaviors they think somebody must have to be an 'ENFP'. Paying attention to the views of these people will only make the scenario even more confusing than it already is. (I am pretty sure that most people here who think they are ENFPs think they have this type because they see themselves as creative, outgoing and friendly and not because they really understand their natural tendencies. That is how it goes with folk typology in most cases anyways)

At the bottom, however, there is a problem that we tend to think that a person simply must BE outgoing for example, to be an E and not simply have a tendency towards being outgoing.

Its quite possible that Little Linguist has all these qualities that we associate with 'J' and 'S' because of her personal experiences rather than because of her type. Until we get around a behavioristic analysis of the matter, we aren't going to make any progress.

As for my views on the matter, I simply see no tendency in her thought patterns that indicate a judgment focus on the external world or on the concrete. The natural focus seems to be on ideas rather than what can be easily observed with the senses. As for the extroverted judging faculty, I simply see no tendency to organize the external world. In this thread we have all sorts of wild and irrelevant information running amock. A person with a genuine J type (that is a person who has a natural tendency to be a J or organize the external world), rather than a person who merely learned J qualities ( like Little Linguist), would not want to make such a disorganized thread. To be a J means to have a natural drive to organize the world. A person like this will want to organize his world in his free-time, granted that he has the full freedom to be true to his or her type. Little Linguist shows no tendency towards this here. Again, I see this because here she has the full freedom to act however she wants to (she is not constrained by any external protocol such as rules or expectations of others that she must meet, nor is she constrained by any internal sanctions such as deep depression or great confusion) and displays perceiving characteristics by simply throwing all sorts of random information around with little ambition to organize it properly.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post

I don't know what makes you think that Ni helps people explain concepts better. Ni as an intuitive faculty can easily help a person be more creative and independently minded in his or her vision, but I don't see how it could offer clarity and organization of thought that a person needs in order to communicate clearly. Thinking is the function that would be the most useful for the latter task.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I don't think that any behavior makes you an NT or any certain type, but the fact that some behavior may be very natural to you likely does. So, if you like using your imagination, it doesn't follow that you're an N as this could be a learned trait for you rather than a natural. However, if using your imagination has always been naturally rewarding for you, then indeed you are quite likely an N.

If a person is organized in his or her activities, does it mean that he or she is a J? Not really, Ps could have acquired qualities that come naturally to Js through experience. As an ENP, one only needs to get comfortable using the third function. It does not seem terribly difficult.

Generally I would regard the opinions of other ENFPs or other people as irrelevant. Most people on this forum are concerned with an activity that can be called 'folk typology'. That is, they have some vague idea of what it means to be a certain type, and assume that you just need to have some certain behaviors to be this or that type.

We usually don't know what they mean when they say that somebody is an 'ENFP', or what behaviors they think somebody must have to be an 'ENFP'. Paying attention to the views of these people will only make the scenario even more confusing than it already is. (I am pretty sure that most people here who think they are ENFPs think they have this type because they see themselves as creative, outgoing and friendly and not because they really understand their natural tendencies. That is how it goes with folk typology in most cases anyways)

At the bottom, however, there is a problem that we tend to think that a person simply must BE outgoing for example, to be an E and not simply have a tendency towards being outgoing.

Its quite possible that Little Linguist has all these qualities that we associate with 'J' and 'S' because of her personal experiences rather than because of her type. Until we get around a behavioristic analysis of the matter, we aren't going to make any progress.

As for my views on the matter, I simply see no tendency in her thought patterns that indicate a judgment focus on the external world or on the concrete. The natural focus seems to be on ideas rather than what can be easily observed with the senses. As for the extroverted judging faculty, I simply see no tendency to organize the external world. In this thread we have all sorts of wild and irrelevant information running amock. A person with a genuine J type (that is a person who has a natural tendency to be a J or organize the external world), rather than a person who merely learned J qualities ( like Little Linguist), would not want to make such a disorganized thread. To be a J means to have a natural drive to organize the world. A person like this will want to organize his world in his free-time, granted that he has the full freedom to be true to his or her type. Little Linguist shows no tendency towards this here. Again, I see this because here she has the full freedom to act however she wants to (she is not constrained by any external protocol such as rules or expectations of others that she must meet, nor is she constrained by any internal sanctions such as deep depression or great confusion) and displays perceiving characteristics by simply throwing all sorts of random information around with little ambition to organize it properly.
    Little Linguist is a "J". Her behavior and opinions over a life-time seem to reflect that, internally and externally. She is a J. People don't "learn" to be Js - my grandfather's wife attempted to make me a J and she failed miserably. Little Linguist is not an ENFP. She very much strikes me as an INFJ in her manner and speech, and STJ in her preoccupations and habits.

If all but one ENFP and an INFP say that Little Linguist is not an NFP (including Little Linguist denying it herself with totally unnecesary vehemence) I'm pretty certain she is NOT an ENFP.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I don't know what makes you think that Ni helps people explain concepts better. Ni as an intuitive faculty can easily help a person be more creative and independently minded in his or her vision, but I don't see how it could offer clarity and organization of thought that a person needs in order to communicate clearly. Thinking is the function that would be the most useful for the latter task.
    We're not talking about Ni explaining a concept. We're talking about her explaining herself. If she was Ni-aux, I'd expect her to be able to comment on her own inner world. It may not be clear to other people, but I don't think it would amount to an admission of having no idea herself....

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist
    Ni: Eh, I don't really know? Seeing patterns in phenomena to figure things out (and...maybe...act...some...day....?) Rich inner world, blah blah blah - eh, who am I kidding? I have no idea.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    xNFP

Solitary,

In my writing, I believe I am very organized. However, I will not ignore issues others bring up.

Orange,

Yes, I do admit an inadequacy to properly explain Ni. Two reasons could be the cause: I do not use it. Or I use it unconsciously and cannot explain it.

Marmelade,

I do not know.