User Tag List

First 16242526272836 Last

Thread: Type me!

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    I'm settling on ENTJ, you don't seem to have the otherworldly detachment of INTJs.
    Hmm, interesting! Thank you for helping me...

Wow, sounds like we have ESXJ, ENXJ, ENXP, or IXTJ.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

For the record I'm not convinced you're an STJ since you said Si isn't your strong suit, and you seem to be more intuitive than anything. I think it's safe to disregard those possibilities.
    Hello

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I've found that these type descriptions are some of the best, because they are written by people of the given type:

ENTJ
    INTJ

Feel free to look at the other types on that sight if you like, but I think you are likely ENTJ or maybe INTJ.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Ah, okay. Yes, true. However, would that necessarily be a good indicator of type?
    The relevance to typology is the following.

A person who is a thinking type has a distinct tendency to look for structure in activities surrounding him. This faculty is stronger in some people than in others. For example, it is stronger in people who are the dominant thinking type than those who are not.

Accordingly, many of such people, should they develop their dominant function properly often find mathematics very enjoyable. That of course assumes that they received the proper introduction to the subject and did not have any personal or social circumstances that rendered the study of mathematics unpleasant. (E.G, some personal bias against math for any reason, bad teacher, poorly written textbooks..and so on and so forth)

The case is such because Mathematics is a subject rich with logical structure. Such structure is not easily recognized by all people.

The case is not such with language. The structure of language is easily recognized by all people. Because language is also learned more intuitively and contains many ambiguous expressions; it is much less precise and organized than math is.

Hence, if a person always felt at home doing math, as in he always found it comfortable, we have a reason to think that he is probably a thinking type. However, if we see a person who has a knack for languages, we have no reason to assume that he has a tendency to think in a structured manner. All people are fully capable of seeing the structure in language, thinking type or not. Hence, having a knack for language has little to do with the Thinking faculty.

In fact, I would claim the opposite is true. Since language is learned intuitively, a unstructured thinker has an advantage over the structured in learning the language. The first part of it is being in tune with the 'language instinct' as Steven Pinker calls it. (Amazon.com: The Language Instinct: How the Mind Creates Language (P.S.) (9780061336461): Steven Pinker: Books)

The second part is being attentive to people and their culture. Language is significantly influenced by the culture it is spoken in and the personal idiosyncrasies of the people who speak it. Very often the culture and the people of the language appear to be chaotic, or not following a clear pattern of logical reasoning. Hence, a purely systematic thinker would struggle.

As a general rule, fine arts are not an NT field and NFs are much more distinctly represented than NTs are in the foreign language academic departments. On that note, it is unsurprising that many engineers and mathematicians often struggle with writing. There is a great deal that goes into language that contains an artistic element rather than an analytical. When we think of a great use of language, we easily think about poetry, novels and short stories.

All of those contain systematic components of thought, however, people who are experts at composing those forms of literature tend not to be analytical or systematic about what they compose. They don't have anything resembling a calculus of rigorous deduction that mathematicians have.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Hence, if a person always felt at home doing math, as in he always found it comfortable, we have a reason to think that he is probably a thinking type.However, if we see a person who has a knack for languages, we have no reason to assume that he has a tendency to think in a structured manner. All people are fully capable of seeing the structure in language, thinking type or not. Hence, having a knack for language has little to do with the Thinking faculty.
    What? Don't language(esp. grammar) and logic both fall strongly under "rational" left-brained activity?

Also, wouldn't you need to specify what type of "math" before making such a generalization? I did terribly in Algebra, but I kicked ass in Logic and Statistics. The usage of "math" seems just as innate as the usage of language; equally unavoidable as well. Now, if you're referring to higher level math, of course that's not innate for most people. Neither is higher level grammar.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    ENFP

I'd still say ESTJ. You are clearly not identifying with any of the major traits in the Ne-descriptions. No way you are dom-Ne. And Ni doesn't seem like something you feel at all familiar with either.

As for the F, what you tell your students, seems very un-ENFPish. We tend to have lots (sometimes too much!) of patience with all kinds of people because we try to see the best in everyone, thus lots of respect and openness for individual differences. I guess we would often rather change our approach of explaining stuff than blame our students' learningstyle.

And on a side note: ENFPs are generally "rational", if by that you mean academically inclined and suckers for theoretical thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    What? Don't language(esp. grammar) and logic both fall strongly under "rational" left-brained activity?

Also, wouldn't you need to specify what type of "math" before making such a generalization? I did terribly in Algebra, but I kicked ass in Logic and Statistics. The usage of "math" is just as innate as the usage of language. Just as unavoidable as well.
    I thought the same. It doesn't really work.

I kicked ass at maths. English was my worst subject.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Heart&Brain View Post
    I'd still say ESTJ. You are clearly not identifying with any of the major traits in the Ne-descriptions. No way you are dom-Ne. And Ni doesn't seem like something you feel at all familiar with either.

As for the F, what you tell your students, seems very un-ENFPish. We tend to have lots (sometimes too much!) of patience with all kinds of people because we try to see the best in everyone, thus lots of respect and openness for individual differences. I guess we would often rather change our approach of explaining stuff than blame our students' learningstyle.

And on a side note: ENFPs are generally "rational", if by that you mean academically inclined and suckers for theoretical thinking.
    Her continued over-emphasis on normality and the way things "should be" steered me away from Ni and toward Si. At first I thought it was just Fe responding to the home environment and church in which she was raised that was fueling her judgements, which made me insist INFJ, but as the thread wore on Si/Te/Fi began to make a lot more sense to me. It would surely explain her reliance upon Te, and the streak of Fi that is making some people say NFP.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Her continued over-emphasis on normality and the way things "should be" steered me away from Ni and toward Si. At first I thought it was just Fe responding to the home environment and church in which she was raised that was fueling her judgements, which made me insist INFJ, but as the thread wore on Si/Te/Fi began to make a lot more sense to me. It would surely explain her reliance upon Te, and the streak of Fi that is making some people say NFP.
    I'd say iXTJ. I see little evidence for extroversion.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.