User Tag List

First 10181920212230 Last

Thread: Type me!

Have you looked at the ENFJ profile much? Does the type seem alien or sort of an okay fit?
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

The Liquid Laser thinks you're an NTJ because you seemed studious, thoughtful and achievement oriented as a child. I don't see this as evidence that you're an NT. Liquid Laser's method was that of a typical MBTI typologist: if we see that a person is competence oriented and studious, he is an NT. In fact, the definition of an NT or any type for Liquid Laser consists in having a certain set of personality qualities.
    Why is this not accurate? How do you want to find a core personality?

I guess your argumentation would be that a person has the possibility to display character traits completely antithetical to his 'true' personality. I agree; however, I think it is more difficult to prove that one aspect is 'true' and another 'false.'

For example, many people think that when I come on Vent and act wild and crazy, I must be an NP or SP because an NJ or SJ just wouldn't be that strange and peculiar. Well, perhaps that is the case, but I think some people believe I behave like that all the time, when I really only do it to relax, after which time, I'm quiet and reflective, hard-working and analytical again. But I need these bursts to sort of regain balance.

Another example is that people think "Oh you are such an emotive person that you must be an F." That could very well be. However, I don't think I can stress how DIFFICULT it was for me to get to that point. And to be honest, in real life, I think people think I'm this warm, fuzzy person who goes around hugging people all the time and jumping on tables and dancing or whatever. *shakes her head* I'm really NOT. Just because I make a joke about doing something strange on Vent or someone's blog doesn't mean I would actually do it. It's just a funny, strange idea that pops into my head and leaves as quickly as it came.

This won't cut it because we frequently display contradictory personality qualities or have qualities that identify with many profile descriptions. We must step away from an action-based and personality based typology and onto the study of the subject that deals with solid tendencies of thought first and foremost.
    Agreed, however, how do you cut a person's personality away from action? How do you demonstrate personality except through action or the lack of action? Okay, thoughts and feelings, right! But how do you decide if these thoughts and feelings are 'real' 'unconscious' 'natural tendencies' or learned attributes. Does it even matter? I'm not so sure.

But it would be good if you could demonstrate another way we could do it that would be more effective.

I would say that you are definitely intuitive because since your childhood your nature seemed geared towards reflection rather than action. I hold to this view not because you engaged in reflection, but because even when circumstances did not seem to be particularly reinforcing or reflection, you still engaged in it. Hence, quite likely you had a solidified unconscious tendency to do that.
    I would agree. That's the one big problem I have with S-type. Personally, I think it would be way more practical to be an S-type, and I would be more than happy to call myself an S-type. However, I need to take personal preferences out of it and be honest: Do I really display S-type behavior? Sometimes, sure, everyone does. My natural tendency has always been N, though. But I can only prove this through behavioral tendencies, and that does not hold water with you, so I really do not know how to prove it otherwise (i.e. how do you prove an impression?)

I would say that you are extroverted because on this forum you show a tendency to be expressive significantly more than an average introvert does, even when you're not prompted. Again, I see what your true tendency is because it manifests under circumstances where behaving in a way that I think is the most natural to you was not rewarded or reinforced.
    This could very well be. However, even today I spend a great majority of my free time alone, with my husband, or with one or two friends. I do not feel comfortable at large parties or get-togethers unless I know that the topic of discussion is one I'm well-versed in.

You weren't particularly sociable because it was almost impossible for you to be sociable in the environment around you.
    Well, okay, good point.

I would say Feeling type rather than Thinking because your intellectual interests had little to do with systematic thought.
    Analyzing paper structure and grammar has nothing to do with systematic thought? Preparing lessons adequately to take a huge macrocosm and place it to the level others can understand is not systematic thought? Keeping track of all these methods of evaluation, developing them and implementing them and explaining them to others has nothing to do with systematic thought? I'd beg to differ. I'm always analyzing - it's just not apparent to you because I only discuss things I find challenging, not the things that come easily to me. That's why I always talk about people, red tape, and my internal conflicts because THOSE are the things that challenge me, not analyzing and explaining complex grammatical structures.

Your interests primarily gravitated towards languages or Fine arts.
    So according to this argument, you think that most people who engage themselves in languages must by definition not be NT? Language is VERY VERY systematic. It's just as systematic as math, only people think that because you do not get one answer for one equation that it is NOT the case. It's amorphous, they think.

As much as we language nerds love to say we hate math, the truth is that they are two peas in a pod. But because you can get away with 'not knowing the formulas and exactness' (e.g. grammar, complex structures, logic) much more easily than math, it can appeal to people who put less emphasis on it.

In addition, math does not exactly facilitate interaction among people, whereas language is the key. However, does that mean that everyone who is interested in languages is interested in interacting with people? Sure, most linguists and language nerds say that because they do not want to rant about the beautiful complexities of each language they learn. That usually gets a blank stare as a reaction, so you learn to package it correctly.

Fact of the matter is: I do not engage in languages because it helps me to speak to more people, or because I can understand cultures or blah blah blah. That's all rhetoric that I love to throw around because it gets smiles and nods and everyone says, "Oh, how astute." The point is, I love it because I'm good at it. Because I get it. It makes sense to me, and it gives me a kick. I never had to study languages. I soaked it up. Imbibed it. And because I was so successful, I enjoyed it.

To this day, I do not see a natural tendency within you to approach ideas in a way that a person of an NT mindset would want to.
    Fair enough. Proof?

As for your ambition to display competence, this could be attributed to your upbringing where you felt you had something to prove to your grandparents. Namely that you are deserving of respect and one way to do that is by excelling at activities that you're talented at.
    I'm really not sure if my desire to display competence mainly comes from inside or outside. Logically, if it were so based on my circumstances, then I would either STOP doing it now that I am in completely new surroundings or it has been so deeply entrenched that I cannot help but be that way now.

However, I am just as driven, if not more so, now than I was then. Perhaps for the right reasons - not to be the best or whatever, but for myself. I've always been that annoying person who said, "Damn it! 99%! Why didn't I get 100%? What an idiot!" Nowadays, I keep those thoughts to myself because I realize it really annoys the hell out of people and alienates me from them.

It's important to point out that I'm really only like that in those things that I excel in. Otherwise, I am not that anal retentive.

Although Fine Arts (Languages) is primarily an N oriented activity, because it involved scholarly endeavors frequently, it is persuasive that it has developed your Thinking. As a result, you were able to enjoy its benefits without being influenced by it nearly as much as many NT types tended to.
    Good point. Possibly valid. Proof?

To be an F type does not mean to be person-focused as Liquid Laser may say. To be an F type means to be focused on emotive valuations or mind-states that refer to other mind-states as either pleasant or unpleasant. For many F people, interacting with other individuals offers satisfactory opportunities to do so. Yet your personal background led you to elect the Fine arts as a substitute for the activity of interacting with people.
    Hmm...So then I would ask you to compare how I interact to the world around me with how a T would do so (keeping in mind there are indeed Ts who also interact with the world differently than an INTP would) and explain why you do not see those tendencies in me to disprove the possibility that I could be T, if you are willing to tackle it.

The second thing I would like you to do (if you feel up to it) is to say which type you think most accurately describes my preferences (if not now, then later, when you have the information you need) assuming I am NF.

Thank you once again.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Chloee View Post
    ESTJ. or ESFJ.
    +you seem enneagram 3 (competence, competing with classmates)
    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Ok, I've caught up on this thread and after reading more of your self-descriptions as well as functional identifications, I'm going to swap my position to ESTJ with strongly developed Ne and Fi.

Te, Si, Ne, Fi make sense as a general structure?
    This could very well be. I would actually be happy to be S. However, the main issue I have with this argument is: How do you account for the prevalence of N in my childhood and adult behavior. Again, Solitary would claim that behavior is not an accurate indicator for personality, and in some cases I would tend to agree with him. However, I do believe that N in many cases permeates my childhood.

On the other hand, I might just misinterpret N. There are several things about the dominant Te profiles that appeal to me, as well as dominant Si. However, there is too much that I relate to regarding dominant Ni and Ne profiles to totally discount an N typing.

One thing is clear: I'm fairly certain I'm not a dominant Fe or Se type. These are definitely acquired traits for me. Fi is also an acquired trait. If I had to narrow down my natural preferences, I'd probably say

Ni Ne Te

All the others were acquired. Later. Somewhere down the line. Of course that could also mean I acquired more Si somewhere down the line.

Let me check the ESTJ and ESFJ profiles and get back to you. That's best.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    Have you looked at the ENFJ profile much? Does the type seem alien or sort of an okay fit?
    Let me check it out and get back to you adequately.

MBTI
    xNFP

Default ESTJ analysis

Extraverted Thinking

ESTJs are very good at making impersonal decisions quickly, and standing by those decisions. Eh, it depends. Work, yes, relationships, no. They live in their Extraverted Thinking functioning, thus, their prime directive is in discovering that which is true and logical in the events of the real world. Um, maybe? Circumstances calling for product invite the ESTJ to supervise or direct other individuals toward production and productivity. YES. Extraverts are attracted to the "object," the external things and people in observable reality. Um, sort of. This bent translates into a natural interest in goods and material objects. No.

Introverted Sensing

The secondary Introverted Sensing is like that of the ISTJ, but not as strong. Si provides practical form and concept data to the Te head, however, form is not the overriding principle, especially if Thinking has already decided. Huh? In times of need, ESTJs are tempted to overlook even necessary information if its absence impedes closure. True. Sometimes. Depending. Secondary sensing sometimes translates into interest in sports. EWWWW NO! The persistence of primary Thinking gives many ESTJs a desire for discipline and regimen which can be beneficial in skills development in the arena. BAH!

Extraverted iNtuition
    As the ESTJ matures, and as situations arise which call for suspension of criticism, Extraverted iNtuition is allowed to play. True. Under the leadership of the Te function, iNtuition gravitates toward the discovery of broad categories which at worst amount to stereotypes. Um, no. Those ESTJs who hone their Ne abilities may find success in academia. I'm very successful here - naturally. I did not really have to push. (I've encountered ESTJs whose Ne overshadows the auxiliary Si function--for whatever reason--to the extent that there is an appearance of NT radical geekism.)

Introverted Feeling
    This function may rarely be expressed. ESTJs who have cultivated, or have been blessed with, a "natural indirect expression of good will by inference," have great prospects of developing genuine friendships (as opposed to ESTJs who merely act out the behavior of Extraverted Feeling). Heh heh heh heh. Such a weak, introverted function is best observed in facial expression, eye contact, body language, and verbally only by implication. Eh, well, when I was younger, yes.

Overall, I'd say, no. It doesn't fit, and I don't have a good feeling about it.

MBTI
    xNFP

Default ESFJ analysis

Extraverted Feeling

ESFJs live in their Extraverted Feeling functioning. Um, okay... Feeling, a rational (i.e., deciding) function, expresses opinions easily in the E world of objects and people. This was acquired, not natural. ESFJs have the ability to express warmth, rage, and a range of other emotions. Again, acquired. Actions are encouraged or rebuked based on how they affect other people, especially people near and dear to the ESFJ. Hmm, doesn't really happen to me. This type's vocal decisiveness predisposes many of its number to facility with administration and supervision. Could be. I'm a teacher.

Introverted Sensing

The secondary Sensing function aids and abets the dominant Fe in that sensate data is collected and at once compared with the inner forms or standards. Um, okay. Data on which decisions are made are thus focused and given a contrast which tends to be stronger and clearer than the original stimuli. Whatever that means. The strengthening effect of Si on Fe may be responsible for this type's reputation for wearing their "hearts on their sleeves." Well, sometimes I do that, depending on the situation. At any rate, ESFJs reflect the "black and white" view of reality which is common to the SJ types.NO!

Extraverted iNtuition

Intuition is tertiary--as the ESFJ matures, and as situations arise which call for suspension of criticism, Ne is allowed to play. Yes. Under the leadership of the Fe function, iNtuition allows for a loosening of the more rigid Si rights and wrongs; teasing and slapstick humor emerge. Yes, under the right circumstances, though. ESFJs are also capable of discerning patterns and philosophies, but such perceiving is subject to the weakness of the tertiary position, and the results often lack the variety and complexity of connections that more complex systems require. Hmm, not sure.

Introverted Thinking
    The inferior Ti function may rarely be expressed. In fact, ESFJs may take affront at the aloof, detached nature of dominant Ti types, or conversely, be drawn to them. I'm drawn to them. Heh. Some ESFJs construct rationale which have the appearance of (Jungian) Thinking logic, but under scrutiny are in fact command performances of "Thinking in the service of Feeling," (i.e., Thinking-like conclusions which do not obey the tenets of impersonal logic; they rather construct scenarios from only those "hard, cold facts" which support the conclusion reached by the dominant Extraverted Feeling function. To wit:
    You don't sew with a fork, so I see no reason to eat
    with knitting needles.
    -- Miss Piggy, on eating Chinese Food
    Huh?

Overall, I'd say...no, not really...I mean maybe, but probably not.

MBTI
    xNFP

Default ENFJ analysis

Extraverted Feeling

Extraverted Feeling rules the ENFJ's psyche. Here we go again... In the sway of this rational function, these folks are predisposed to closure in matters pertaining to people, and especially on behalf of their beloved. Closure, yes. People - sigh. As extraverts, their contacts are wide ranging. No. Face-to-face relationships are intense, personable and warm, though they may be so infrequently achieved that intimate friendships are rare. Depends.

Introverted iNtuition
    Like their INFJ cousins, ENFJs are blessed through introverted intuition with clarity of perception in the inner, unconscious world. That would be nice. Dominant Feeling prefers to find the silver lining in even the most beggarly perceptions of those in their expanding circle of friends and, of course, in themselves. NO OH GOD NO... In less balanced individuals, such mitigation of the unseemly eventually undermines the ENFJ's integrity and frequently their good name.Pfft. In healthier individuals, deft use of this awareness of the inner needs and desires of others enables this astute type to win friends, influence people, and avoid compromising entanglements. Ay yi yi.
    The dynamic nature of their intuition moves ENFJs from one project to another with the assurance that the next one will be perfect, or much more nearly so than the last. This is true. ENFJs are continually looking for newer and better solutions to benefit their extensive family, staff, or organization. Um, yes!

Extraverted Sensing
    Sensing is extraverted. Do I have this? Just kidding. ENFJs can manage details, particularly those necessary to implement the prevailing vision. NO NO DETAILS please nooooo!These data have, however, a magical flexible quality. Magical quality. Hm. Something to be bought can be had for a song; the same something is invaluable when it's time to sell. (We are not certain, but we suspect that such is the influence of the primary function.) This wavering of sensory perception is made possible by the weaker and less mature status with which the tertiary is endowed. Yuck, yuck, yuck, noooo. Go into store, get product, leave. Thank you. I know it was an example/metaphor, but ugh, no.

Introverted Thinking
    Introverted Thinking is least apparent and most enigmatic in this type. In fact, it often appears only when summoned by Feeling. At times only in jest, but in earnest if need be, Thinking entertains as logical only those conclusions which support Feeling's values. What does that mean? Other scenarios can be shown invalid or at best significantly inferior. Such "Thinking in the service of Feeling" has the appearance of logic, but somehow it never quite adds up. Examples? I still don't get what Ti is.
    Introverted Thinking is frequently the focus of the spiritual quest of ENFJs. David's lengthiest psalm, 119, pays it homage. "Law," "precept," "commandment," "statute:" these essences of inner thinking are the mysteries of Deity for which this great Feeler's soul searched. Eh, whatever, quitcher blabbin'.

Eh, no.

MBTI
    xNFP

Default ENFP (Since everyone thinks I'm this, let's see)

Extraverted iNtuition

The physical world, both geos and kosmos, is the ENFP's primary source of information. Huh? Okay? Rather than sensing things as they are, dominant intuition is sensitive to things as they might be. True. These extraverted intuitives are most adept with patterns and connections. Sometimes, yes, especially languages. Their natural inclination is toward relationships, especially among people or living things. BAH!
    Intuition leans heavily on feeling for meaning and focus. What does this look like? I do not know. Its best patterns reflect the interesting points of people, giving rise to caricatures of manner, speech and expression. Whatever the hell that means...

Introverted Feeling

Auxiliary feeling is nonverbally implied more often than it is openly expressed. Okay. When expressed, this logic has an aura of romance and purity that may seem out of place in this flawed, imperfect world. Maybe. In its own defense, feeling judgement frequently and fleetly gives way to humor. Huh? ENFPs who publicize their feelings too often may put off some of the crowd of friends they naturally attract. Yes, that's why you zip the lip.

Extraverted Thinking
    Thinking, the process which runs to impersonal conclusions, holds the extraverted tertiary position. Used on an occasional basis, ENFPs may benefit greatly from this ability. Yep. Less mature and lacking the polish of higher order functions, Thinking is not well suited to be used as a prominent function. Why not? As with other FP types, the ENFP unwary of Thinking's limitations may find themselves most positively mistaken. Well that can happen to anyone. I really did not think this explanation was adequate.

Introverted Sensing
    Sensing, the least discernible ENFP function, resides in the inner world where reality is reduced to symbols and icons--ideas representing essences of external realities. Huh? Under the influence of the ever-present intuition, the ENFP's sensory perceptions are in danger of being replaced by hypothetical data consistent with pattern and paradigm. When it is protected and nourished, introverted sensing provides information about the fixed. What the hell did all this mean??? From such firm anchoring ENFPs are best equipped to launch into thousands of plausibilities and curiosities yet to be imagined. Eh, no....only when I am excited about something; then I think of all the possibilities and construct worlds before anything happens.
    Perhaps the combination of introverted Feeling and childlike introverted Sensing is responsible for the silent pull of ENFPs to the wishes of parents, authority figures and friends. Eh, yes, that's true. Or perhaps it's the predominance of indecisive intuition in combination with the ambiguity of secondary Fi and tertiary Te that induces these kind souls to capitulate even life-affecting decisions. HAHAHA! Okay, okay, yes...damn it. Someone else tell me my type - pleaseeeee I can't decide for myself. What a dumb ass. Whatever the dynamic, ENFPs are strongly influenced by the opinions of their friends. *ahem* *whistling*

MBTI
    xNFP

Okay, okay, I admit, that was the best one so far...but a lot of things still don't fit. My need for closure and security. My need for organization. My Te is a great deal stronger than ^^^ that. And all this feeling...ugh. People. ugh. Geez.

Can't there be a RATIONAL ENFP type? Yeah. That's me. A rational ENFP. Is there such a thing?

Not such a flighty, weird, nutty, drug-using, alcohol-consuming, lari-fari, we-all-have-something-to-offer, let's-have-a-crazy-sexual-avatar, OMG-like-my-values, let's-all-hug-each-other, we-are-all-the-same, having-a-billion-friends-and-acquaintances, crazy, bizarre, feeling, weird, annoying, wacked-out ENFP. (I probably just alienated myself from 99% of ENFPs out there, and get a bunch of hate mail saying I'm stereotyping against ENFPs, but whatever...they strike me as a bunch of hippies just coasting through life. REALLY.) <--- Fe-fail, sorry folks. Well, no I'm not. It's true; it is my impression of a LOT of them. Just have to do a head-smack when I think I'm one of these guys.

Just a normal, structured, focused, career-oriented, ambitious, quiet, non-party going, just-having-a-few-friends-once-in-a-while, fair, strict, non-rebellious, non-drinking-smoking-drug-using, loyal, reliable, punctual, dependable, dealing-by-the-rules-unless-the-rules-don't-make-sense, analytical, thinking, DECENT ENFP??? That's my type, whatever that is.

MBTI
    xNFP

Default INTJ analysis

Introverted iNtuition

INTJs are idea people. Yes. Anything is possible; everything is negotiable. Well, almost anything, let's not talk in absolutes, here. Whatever the outer circumstances, INTJs are ever perceiving inner pattern-forms and using real-world materials to operationalize them. Yes. Others may see what is and wonder why; INTJs see what might be and say "Why not?!" I ask both! Paradoxes, antinomies, and other contradictory phenomena aptly express these intuitors' amusement at those whom they feel may be taking a particular view of reality too seriously. Yes. INTJs enjoy developing unique solutions to complex problems. Yes

Extraverted Thinking
    Thinking in this auxiliary role is a workhorse. Ohhhh yeahhhhh. Closure is the payoff for efforts expended. Yes. Evaluation begs diagnosis; product drives process. Makes sense. As they come to light, Thinking tends, protects, affirms and directs iNtuition's offspring, fully equipping them for fulfilling and useful lives. Right. A faithful pedagogue, Thinking argues not so much on its own behalf, but in defense of its charges. I think so? And through this process these impressionable ideas take on the likeness of their master. Whatever that means...maybe?

Introverted Feeling
    Feeling has a modest inner room, two doors down from the Most Imminent iNtuition. It doesn't get out much, but lends its influence on behalf of causes which are Good and Worthy and Humane. Yes, I can be very compassionate when I think someone has 'earned' it. We may catch a glimpse of it in the unspoken attitude of good will, or the gracious smile or nod. Yes, I do this a lot. Some question the existence of Feeling in this type, yet its unseen balance to Thinking is a cardinal dimension in the full measure of the INTJ's soul. Could be. Hmm.

Extraverted Sensing
    Sensing serves with a good will, or not at all. Right. As other inferior functions, it has only a rudimentary awareness of context, amount or degree. Thus INTJs sweat the details or, at times, omit them. YES!!!!! So true! "I've made up my mind, don't confuse me with the facts" could well have been said by an INTJ on a mission. HAHAH! Sensing's extraverted attitude is evident in this type's bent to savor sensations rather than to merely categorize them. True. Indiscretions of indulgence are likely an expression of the unconscious vengeance of the inferior. Yes, but it doesn't happen very often.

WOW, that was also very telling. I think I'm an ENFP/INTJ hybrid. Is that possible?

Let's move onto ENTJ because several people thought that was a possibility.