User Tag List

First 816171819202868 Last

Results 171 to 180 of 690

Thread: Type me!

  1. #171
    Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    Okay folks I hope all of ^^^ that insight provides a bit more information into my persona. Probably shouldn't share all that on the Internet, but who gives a crap.

    Anyway, to your other questions. ESTJ? Let me take a look at the profile and get back to you. I must admit from the type descriptions, I really like Te and either Ni or Si. But I don't want to skew my perception based on something before I have evidence.

    Vagrant asked me about what I thought the functions meant. Let me try to put it as succinctly as possible:

    Te: Organize self and world to make things more efficient and bring about results in a way that you can actually tangibly or intangibly measure.

    Ti: Um? Making models and definitions and a lot of weird stuff. I don't really get this.

    Si: Use past experience and knowledge you have gathered to help you make accurate conclusions.

    Se: Noticing things in the world around you and acting immediately. (HA!)

    Ne: Seeing something, but not focusing on the thing at hand, but jumping from one thing to the next to reach some truth.

    Ni: Eh, I don't really know? Seeing patterns in phenomena to figure things out (and...maybe...act...some...day....?) Rich inner world, blah blah blah - eh, who am I kidding? I have no idea.

    Fi: Knowing what's good and bad and making decisions due to ethical stuff.

    Fe: Knowing what others say is good and bad and making decisions due to their expectations?

    Better explanations would be appreciated.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

  2. #172
    Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Space_Oddity View Post
    Why not, but that wasn't exactly my point at that moment.

    All things considered, Little Linguist, perhaps after you described to us what you were like when you were a child (function-wise or other), you should ask yourself why do you think you were like that, and why do you think you changed. I'm sure this of all things actually might shed some light.
    I described some of this in my thread above (two threads ahead of this one). I was like that because it gave me security, which was a security I could not feel when I was growing up with my parents. They somehow knew that and provided.

    In spite of the fact that I honored my grandparents, I often blamed them for my erratic behavior. e.g. "I don't go clubbing because my grandparents would kill me." or "I don't wear sl---y clothes because my grandparents would never accept it." Truth be told, I did not want to do that, but I did not want to admit it, so I put the blame on them. I know, bad thing to do, but I am human and make mistakes.

    I couldn't be bothered with all the nonsense teenagers go through. Drinking, partying, dancing, blah...what was the point? What would I get out of this vacuousness? How would it help me? It wouldn't!!! It would bring me down, distract me.

    See, my grandparents were retired. We were lower middle class. If I wanted to study, they did not have the money. Everything I have ever wanted, I have had to work HARD for. I needed to PROVE to the world - with no connections or resources - that I had something to offer. LOOK HERE, WORLD, I CAN DO THIS!!!! ACCEPT ME!!!!!!! No one was going to coddle me and I did not WANT OR NEED that. I just wanted them to acknowledge that I could DO it.

    So I worked very hard in school, focused, was extremely competitive because I wanted to be the best!!!!!! I DAMN IT. NOT YOU. YOU don't need it. YOU have daddy's cadillac or mommy's trust fund. I NEED THIS!!!!!!

    In fact, I played the system to get the best marks. I planned it. Not illegally of course, but I shifted classes, took extra classes to boost my GPA through a trick in the system. It really pissed off some ultra Fi users, but f it!!!!!!

    At the end of the day, this ultra-extreme competition, what did it get me? FOURTH!!! FOURTH PLACE DAMN IT - not even place one, because I was too damn lazy and idiotic in my first year. I should have placed in all honors, then I would have been even better than the valedictorian, but I didn't.

    But it was all good. I got accepted to the school of my choice (I only applied to places I was sure to get in. I hate rejection.) Jesuit university. Acceptable. 3/4 scholarship. Funding from the state. It was all good.

    And I was burned out. I had a breakdown when I was 18. I can't explain how it happened. It was partially a combination of an eating disorder (not eating), not sleeping, depressed, and I just started kind of passing out, had no strength. No desire. To. Do. Anything. Very unnatural for me. I just wanted to get out and leave this stupid idiotic world. I was completely overwhelmed by it. All these things I had been sheltered from. Sensory overload. Too much. To. Handle. Can't. Do. It. Anymore. All this fighting? WHY? Where did it get me. BLAH!

    I became cold. distant. unnerving. My floormates were scared about me. I never came out of my room. I was pale and skinny. Lifeless. I spoke like a robot, cold and sardonic.

    My dean called me and asked me if she could speak to me, "I'm fine." "You're missing classes. What's wrong. Talk to me." "Nothing's wrong, I'm fine." We had a discussion. She said I should take some time off. "Not necessary," I said. "Hm, yeah, you're not eating; you're not attending class."
    "I don't care anymore and I just want to die." Now that shocked the hell out of her, of course. I didn't really want to die, I just wanted the bullshit to end. I was sick of running around in circles, learning for classes that didn't matter when I was probably just going to be some loser anyway, and blah. I was really a mess. I don't know what the hell happened to me. I turned from Krupp steel to an emo in the space of three months.

    To my dismay I left and returned to university three times before I got my rear back in gear. I do not really know HOW I managed that. BUT somehow through some very supportive people, I got back on track. I started eating again, getting some joy and kick back into my life. The drive came back, thankfully, and unlike 80% of people who leave college three times, I went back for good - a stronger, healthier, more balanced person no longer living off of diet coke and fat burner smoothies.

    In high school, right before my breakdown I tested IXTJ. Once I came back, I was INTJ for my four years of university.

    I would say the big shift came when I went to Germany. I saw this as my 'BIG CHANCE.' I could leave the past behind me, pick up everything new: a new culture, a new language, new friends, new folks who did not know me at all.

    I could form a new person. Mold myself as I saw fit. And no one would know the difference.

    And that was the first time I started testing NF. I was around 25 at the time that I started consistently testing INFP with some INFJ results.

    This time in Germany opened me up. I experienced new worlds. Started seeing things from COMPLETELY new perspectives. I gained insights I had never had. New ways of doing things, of thinking...

    And for the first time, I WAS LOVED! I was loved by people who were not family. Of course, I was not really loved....I was admired, seen as a curiosity, or whatever, but it was GREAT! I thrived, I came into my own, felt like a PERSON for the first time.

    All the negative stuff was gone, behind me, and ahead of me, I could see clearly. I knew where I was, what I wanted, where I was headed. My head was clear.

    After I opened up (about two years), I started testing less and less *I* and more and more *E*. Until I've tested ENXP.

    But there has always been that part of me that turns a sordid eye to the past and asks, "Where did that come from?" "What was that? A BLIP?" "Where did these years of IXTJ go? What was that? Who am I really? What is this person called Carolyn?" You see I had never ASKED those questions before because I was so DRIVEN by other things.

    And now I'm OBSESSED with this question of who I am and how I can reconcile who I am now with who I was then. What is real? Then or now? Where am I headed? Where is this development going? Is this all fake? Did I MAKE CAROLYN??? Did I fashion her when I came over here? Or did she just pop out on her own? Where did she come from?

    I want to understand how I developed and see where I'm going and THAT is why it is so important for me to understand type. It is one tool of many.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

  3. #173
    Senior Member Grace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    426

    Default

    Sounds INTP to me.

  4. #174
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Regarding religion, I was a staunch Irish Roman Catholic for 18 years. Then I switched and just was...well, nothing. Then I became a Muslim for a few weeks, decided it made no sense, and cut that out. Then I got involved with Siddha Yoga, which was really helpful but there's not community near me and I don't care anyway. Now I just meditate alone and I'm more into spirituality until something more meaningful (if ever) comes along.
    Hands down, my favorite part of the thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    , and I want to make this very clear, I'M NOT ONE OF THOSE CRAZY NEO-CONS...pseudo-intellectual wannabe-a-conservative-but-are-just-a-bunch-of-weird-ass-industrialist-idiots. I want values, not just letting economy run wild. I can't stand Bush for that reason - not because he's conservative but because he IS NOT but PRETENDS to be. Running into wars all over the world and wasting billions of hard-earned dollars? Is that conservative? NO! Signing a bunch of crazy things to hurt American jobs? Is that conservative? NO! Sending our young men to die for a cause that was lost from the very beginning due to a LIE!? Is that conservative? NO!

    What exactly does it mean to be Conservative. It seems to me that political talk is usually emotional loaded and fraught with poor reasoning and ambiguously defined terms. Its often hard to get anything more than a mere approximate notion of what somebody means in any conversation about politics. The same is true of religion. Can we claim that Bush is not a true conservative with any greater legitimacy than those who would like to claim that people who spread violence in glory of Islam are not true Muslims?

    In the case of Islam we have a book in which the message is communicated in an obscure enough of a manner to eliminate the possibility of an emergence of a single non-controversial interpretation of scripture. At least that is something. With regard to Conservatism, we do not even have that. In short, can we cherish any hope of having any kind of a meaningful conversation about political ideologies? These days the discourse degenerates into a play on words too fast.

    With regard to your type, you're asking all the wrong questions. All this autobiographical content will at best only match you up with some personality figures that are associated with MBTI types, but that won't help you as they are too vague and inconsistent. Their vagueness and inconsistency is what got you questioning your type in the first place, it is too easy to identify with many types at the same time.

    If you want to know your type, you ought to examine your unconscious tendencies of thought rather than your hobbies or big decisions that you've made in your life.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  5. #175
    Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    Solitary,

    Thank you for your input, and you raise several good points. My unconscious motivations? Well, how can you know your motivations if they are unconscious? What should I be looking for here? What do you mean exactly?

    I want to know what you mean, because perhaps you are right when you say autobiographical information may not be so helpful...I thought it might be, but maybe not.

    Perhaps you could give some insight on what would be more useful if you explain what you mean a little bit more clearly.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

  6. #176
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Solitary,

    Thank you for your input, and you raise several good points. My unconscious motivations? Well, how can you know your motivations if they are unconscious? What should I be looking for here? What do you mean exactly?

    I want to know what you mean, because perhaps you are right when you say autobiographical information may not be so helpful...I thought it might be, but maybe not.

    Perhaps you could give some insight on what would be more useful if you explain what you mean a little bit more clearly.
    You may not be able to easily detect an unconscious thought, however, its consequence are much easier to notice. If you are a dominant Intuitive type, the most easily of all; your mind begins operating in an abstract manner. If you are a dominant Thinking type, your mind the most easily notices structure in the world around it. If you are a dominant Feeling type, your mind the most easily recognizes some objects as pleasant and others as unpleasant. If you are a dominant Sensing type, your mind the most easily focuses on the concrete, physical environment.

    In order to know your type you must see which activity is the most natural to you. Some things may be easy for you to do because of your background or experiences, you need to look past that. You need to see what habits of thought you have that were more inborn rather than cultivated as a result of your interaction with your environment.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  7. #177
    Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    You may not be able to easily detect an unconscious thought, however, its consequence are much easier to notice. If you are a dominant Intuitive type, the most easily of all; your mind begins operating in an abstract manner. If you are a dominant Thinking type, your mind the most easily notices structure in the world around it. If you are a dominant Feeling type, your mind the most easily recognizes some objects as pleasant and others as unpleasant. If you are a dominant Sensing type, your mind the most easily focuses on the concrete, physical environment.

    In order to know your type you must see which activity is the most natural to you. Some things may be easy for you to do because of your background or experiences, you need to look past that. You need to see what habits of thought you have that were more inborn rather than cultivated as a result of your interaction with your environment.
    Solitary,

    I have noticed that I tend to be quite abstract in my thinking and speech. As I have said in other posts, I can tie things together in different subject areas and put them together. My actual language is also relatively abstract, I believe, although I am not certain. I guess one would have to define abstract.

    As a child, I think I was more of a thinker, as I definitely noticed structure. Now, I'm more of a thinker/feeler or feeler/thinker. So does that mean I'm really a thinker with developed feeling, or am I more of a feeler who developed thinking to deal with an environment? How do I know?

    Sensing - focusing on the concrete, physical environment - has always been a challenge for me from a very young age. Although it has gotten better over time, I still struggle with this concept.

    Does this help you? If not, please feel free to ask additional questions and/or clarify to help us pinpoint the truth.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

  8. #178
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Solitary,

    I have noticed that I tend to be quite abstract in my thinking and speech. As I have said in other posts, I can tie things together in different subject areas and put them together. My actual language is also relatively abstract, I believe, although I am not certain. I guess one would have to define abstract.

    As a child, I think I was more of a thinker, as I definitely noticed structure. Now, I'm more of a thinker/feeler or feeler/thinker. So does that mean I'm really a thinker with developed feeling, or am I more of a feeler who developed thinking to deal with an environment? How do I know?

    Sensing - focusing on the concrete, physical environment - has always been a challenge for me from a very young age. Although it has gotten better over time, I still struggle with this concept.

    Does this help you? If not, please feel free to ask additional questions and/or clarify to help us pinpoint the truth.
    Types could change among small children and possibly even older children as our habits of thought aren't as solidified then as they are for adults.

    Usually, however, the change in type doesn't happen for children unless they are subjected to constantly altering circumstances.


    The only way to know if you are a thinking type or not is to see if your mind naturally looks for structure in the world without external reinforcement. If it does seem to you that you look for structure in the world, is that because of your education? Your interactions with people? Something you do on a daily basis? Is it a learned attribute?

    Or is it something that you've always done with very little external reinforcement.

    Bottom line is, you are a certain type only if the tendencies of this type correspond to the natural dispositions that are activated the most easily in your mind.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  9. #179
    Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Types could change among small children and possibly even older children as our habits of thought aren't as solidified then as they are for adults.

    Usually, however, the change in type doesn't happen for children unless they are subjected to constantly altering circumstances.


    The only way to know if you are a thinking type or not is to see if your mind naturally looks for structure in the world without external reinforcement. If it does seem to you that you look for structure in the world, is that because of your education? Your interactions with people? Something you do on a daily basis? Is it a learned attribute?

    Or is it something that you've always done with very little external reinforcement.

    Bottom line is, you are a certain type only if the tendencies of this type correspond to the natural dispositions that are activated the most easily in your mind.
    It is very hard for me to separate learned attributes from natural ones, as crazy as that sounds. I know that no one had to TEACH me how to be abstract, or at least it did not seem that way.

    No one had to teach me to be structured or follow the rules. I did it. However, I always looked for reasons for things. I would not follow a rule if I did not know the reason, for example. Once I knew a reason and it made sense, I followed it. I preferred order and stability, but I had issues with keeping my spaces tidy or doing chores. In addition, I had to learn to keep myself organized to prevent myself from forgetting things and being haphazard.

    When I was younger, I was not naturally in tune with how I or others were feeling. If people asked me how I felt about something, I had to think about it. If people said, "How do you think that person felt when you did X?" I thought about it, but not before. I could not understand certain reactions of people. I would predict they would act in a completely different fashion and got entirely put out when I got a different result.

    I hope this helps. If not, we can clarify a bit more.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

  10. #180
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    It is very hard for me to separate learned attributes from natural ones, as crazy as that sounds. I know that no one had to TEACH me how to be abstract, or at least it did not seem that way.

    No one had to teach me to be structured or follow the rules. I did it. However, I always looked for reasons for things. I would not follow a rule if I did not know the reason, for example. Once I knew a reason and it made sense, I followed it. I preferred order and stability, but I had issues with keeping my spaces tidy or doing chores. In addition, I had to learn to keep myself organized to prevent myself from forgetting things and being haphazard.

    When I was younger, I was not naturally in tune with how I or others were feeling. If people asked me how I felt about something, I had to think about it. If people said, "How do you think that person felt when you did X?" I thought about it, but not before. I could not understand certain reactions of people. I would predict they would act in a completely different fashion and got entirely put out when I got a different result.

    I hope this helps. If not, we can clarify a bit more.
    We haven't been making significant progress because I do not know if any of the qualities you are telling me that you have are more resultant of natural dispositions or interaction with your environment.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Similar Threads

  1. How would you type me as a child?
    By Kiddo in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-13-2014, 05:14 PM
  2. Blah, type me...
    By runvardh in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-30-2008, 06:05 PM
  3. Enneagram-type me!
    By Haphazard in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 08-18-2008, 10:41 PM
  4. Type Me (New and Improved With Marmite Flavour!)
    By Tigerlily in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 240
    Last Post: 07-25-2008, 12:46 AM
  5. First post- please help type me!
    By Annuit Coeptis in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-21-2008, 03:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO