• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I have no type... help me

What type is Babylon Candle?

• Total voters

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I also thought there was no way I was an S. I also tested high in the intuitive categories (among other stuff that's wrong) in the cognitive processes test. And I have mistyped myself as an INTP, INFP, INTJ, INFJ, and ENFP. But I'll tell you what I am totally getting from you: ISTJ or ESTJ.

I, of course, may be wrong, but that's what I get, especially from your first posts in this thread. They instantly made me think of my ISTJ dad. (Not to mention you tossed ISFJ and ESFJ in there a couple of times.)

Don't rule out sensing. It doesn't mean that you are an unimaginative boring dumbass, contrary to what many people seem to think. My dad is one of the most eccentric, theoretical, and inventive people I know. But he is also no question an ISTJ.

Also, there is the whole tertiary trap business, which can be confusing. I know I often operate in Fi+Ni, so I can seem like an intuitive when I'm not. So if you are an ISTJ, that would mean you can get caught in this Si+Fi place, which could be why people keep on saying INFP.

But to me you don't seem Fi dominant at all.

Oh, and to whoever said that an NT would have done the research so Babylon Candle must be an NF, are you serious? I have researched the hell out of this stuff and I'm an SP.

hmmm... ISTJ or ESTJ... Maybe I could have succeeded in this pre med thing after all! (I gave up btw). I agree with you that I'm not Fi dominant. Fi is only ever a negative thing for me. Its partly why I thought ENTJ for so long. Si however, I just dont relate to. The Si people i know are the type to say things like, "how do you know, when you've never done it?". I dont use past experience like a crutch. I did however watch the history channel religiously when I was about 6 to 10ish :D. To be honest though, the history channel is more about conspiracy theories than anything (that'd be Ni I guess ;)).

I have a lot of SJ extended family members... I dont relate to any of them. We definitely do not share a similar temperament or perspective. My sister (tested NF) and I always laugh at how SJ some of our relatives are.

B

brainheart

I would recommend reading the intuition thread we have going. I think there's some pretty insightful stuff on there. Maybe it will help?

Or that most accurate type test ever thread. I think that test is really good. Just make sure you tick off two boxes per question vs one if you feel like you do more than one of the answers.

I don't know. I think a lot of S types can have a harder time figuring it out, in all honesty, although people say it's the NFs primarily. I think it has to do with we want really specific examples for everything and if something doesn't fit us perfectly we think it must be wrong, vs just recognizing the principle of the whole thing. And I think we are more likely to answer the questions literally vs looking for the 'spirit' of the question.

That's been my experience, anyway.

B

brainheart

PS: Ruthie is pretty sure she's an SJ and she doesn't seem to be any of the things you see as SJ traits.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Ive thread through these before. It really depends on how I think about this page. I could take it multiple ways.

If I read through the page based on "what I feel I am good at". I will have certain reactions. If I read the through the page based on "how I spend my time thinking". I get still other reactions.

Its kind of like this: Is Seinfeld a show about Fe retards or Fe theorists (or both)? Difficult question depending on your perspective...

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
PS: Ruthie is pretty sure she's an SJ and she doesn't seem to be any of the things you see as SJ traits.

whose ruthie? what sort of things then does she identify as the "essence" of her SJness?

EDIT: i stole this from a thread of hers. I dont really relate to Si besides occasionally taking interest in the themes and archetypes of history.

ruthie said:
I don't think it has to be Si, but it is something that I think is common to Si. For me, Si feels like there's something constantly anchoring me and pulling me "home" (I was the stereotypical homesick kid in the college dorm, for example). The people I know who use Ne as a dominant function seem to view the past as something to break free from rather than something to find comfort in. I'm also obsessed with the past and with historical fiction (well, historical anything) and I do see this as a result of Si. But that alone probably wouldn't be evidence of Si.

Quote:
NFPs have Si (INFP tertiary, ENFP inferior) and I think mine must be awfully developed because in the "forest" scenario the Si description resonated most with me.

However, Ne seems to be "what I do" or what I'm good at. Si is more like a comfort zone...it relaxes me. When I'm walking I love to look at old houses. Old buildings and certain kinds of architecture (usually 18th, 19th, and early 20th century) just thrill and inspire me.

I just wonder how much all of this has to do with Si, if anything at all.
Probably quite a lot. Your post over on the Southerners tribute thread really showed a lot of evidence of Si. There was an incredible nostalgia to it and an amazing use of detail to set the scene and really give the reader a sense of time and place. Plus, in a really subtle and sophisticated way, it used the kind of stereotyping I always notice as common to Si. Rather than fight against the Southern stereotype (as ByMySword had done), you just spun the stereotype in a positive way. The readers could smell the honeysuckle...

Quote:
I'm also one of those people who is really "into" my early childhood: I love anything that reminds me of the time period before I was about six years old. Very big on nostalgia as a sort of personal comfort.
Yeah, me too. This could be Si, or it could be related to the NF temperament. I think with Si, the past holds a privileged place of comfort and idealization, whereas with NFs, the past might just be one of many things that is idealized. I'm pretty realistic about the present, and I'm not that comfortable with change. Get me talking about either of those things, and you'd probably notice a bit of an edge with me - a flippant, sarcastic side that borders at times on cynicism. But nostalgia is my soft spot. I love seeing cars on the road with Christmas trees tied to the roof, because that evokes nostalgia, family, warmth, comfort, continuity, and all those things that naturally grab me.

VagrantFarce

Ive thread through these before. It really depends on how I think about this page. I could take it multiple ways.

If I read through the page based on "what I feel I am good at". I will have certain reactions. If I read the through the page based on "how I spend my time thinking". I get still other reactions.

Its kind of like this: Is Seinfeld a show about Fe retards or Fe theorists (or both)? Difficult question depending on your perspective...

imagine if you spent your time thinking and interacting with the world on your own terms (not just what others expect you to do, or what you've learned to do to get through your day at work or school) - what then?

B

brainheart

I think the key is to get into a place where you are capable of seeing what you do vs what you would like to do or like to see yourself as. This can take awhile.

For example, that link vagrantfarce posted, I looked at that months ago (when I thought I was an INTP) and I thought- "huh, I totally suck at this cartoon stuff (the Ne), the Se is completely natural for me, as is the Fi, but the Ti looks fun, but I'm not going to actually do the exercise because it seems totally tedious. And I get like the Ni sometimes, especially when I'm in this weird, negative, isolationist space. This test must be flawed, because I am for sure an INXP."

Six months later, it all totally makes sense.

B

brainheart

That website is ridiculous.
Anyone who would write a description of Ni like that, has lost their marbles.

I relate to it quite well. Maybe it's a good description of tertiary Ni?

How would you describe it?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
information > less information (assuming that its not misleading information)
so is the test misleading? Probably :doh:

I'm not really sure how an extrovert is going to display Ni/Si to the world through text. Generally I would think some sort of story telling might reveal a Ni/Si bias...and I don't tell stories online.

21...i first learned about MBTI when I was about 19

For the record, I without a doubt am 1w9 sp/sx. My truely downer moments are me disintegrating to 4 and I generally feel "almost too good" when people push me to be 7. So maybe we can figure out an MBTI correlation from there.

how I view my functional preferences at the moment:
Ni >>> Se >> Te = Fe > Ti > Fi > Ne > Si

how I view my functional strengths at the moment:

Ni > Te >> Fi = Ne = Ti > Fe = Se > Si

what I end up "looking" like to myself:
Ni >>> Se >> Fe (Fi) > Te (Ti) > Si

what I end up looking like to people not inside my head:
Ni >>> Se >> Fe (Fi) = Te (Ti) > Si

But then again...the functions aren't "real" per se... I mean Ne Fi can look like Fe and Ni Te can look Ti etc etc etc ad naseum. So im not really particularly attached those function orders...

Hmm.. Sounds like you're looking TOO much into it. What's the difference between preferences and strengths and what you seem like to yourself? Looking at the strengths we're looking at a pretty clear INTJ- right? What's up with Se in preferences and not in strengths? I'm confused. :doh:.. Anyway, INTJ's have that inferior Se that you might have. I don't know.

(This is a side thought but) as far as the S thing goes, (going along with what brainheart said) I also thought I was a strong N for a long time. Not really sure that people understand how an S thinks. Actually turns out i'm a very strong, solid S.

(I'm not saying you are.. It seems like it could go either way with you.)
The only thing that strikes me about you is that you seem very J. Everything else is up in the air.

VagrantFarce

(This is a side thought but) as far as the S thing goes, (going along with what brainheart said) I also thought I was a strong N for a long time. Not really sure that people understand how an S thinks. Actually turns out i'm a very strong, solid S.

How can you not think you're an isfp? :yes:

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

I relate to it quite well.

Same. I think it's an excellent description of Ni... for strong Ni users. (You know, the ones who've lost their marbles. :D :newwink: )

Don't take the passage so literally, and through the scope of any other function, and Lenore's descriptions will make perfect sense. She's trying to get you to see how the many things we encounter in our daily lives are symbolic representations of ideas and values. That without it, the object is just another piece of wood, car, clothing, etc. Overall, it's one angle of Ni, but sufficient nevertheless.

As for loosing your marbles, things can get strange rather quickly without an extroverted function to guide it back down to planet earth. This is where all the INJ conspiracy theorist jokes comes from.

Jaguar

Same. I think it's an excellent description of Ni... for strong Ni users. (You know, the ones who've lost their marbles.

How would you know what a strong Ni user is?
Have you forgotten my Ni thread?
An INTJ told you that you mistyped yourself.

Considering what you said in that thread, I agree with them.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
How would you know what a strong Ni user is?

Hmm, an official exclusion wasn't something I considered when I wrote that statement. I was aiming towards the definition of being able to detach oneself from the immediate surroundings or events, in order to understand the theoretical meaning behind the object's existence. Or something like that. I'm not going to bother to see how it compares to the rest of the 7 functions because it takes time to get the terminology/external meaning in the right place.

Have you forgotten my Ni thread?
An INTJ told you that you mistyped yourself.

Considering what you said in that thread, I agree with them.

It wasn't until I back came onto this forum later in '09 that Ni became so highly regarded. You seem to have a rigid view on Ni (a temporary remark derived from your posts in the Ni thread -- I disagree with the idea that Ni merely indicates you following your first instincts), and several of the other functions, but that's your choice. While I know where exactly I belong within the MBTI system, I don't mind being seen as something else.

I'm also sure neither of us will be changing our judgment systems anytime soon, but I'd like to discuss more on what you think Ni is. I'm curious to learn how each person perceives it, and the way that fits into the bigger picture of everyone else's stance.

*Edit: Babylon Candle, sorry for derailing your thread. I can take the conversation elsewhere.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

I know. The part about "you may feel smug" made me laugh. Like, is this a joke? The Fi one was cute, too: pick a mammal, any mammal (sleeping, feeding, this can include humans) and guess how it is feeling and what it needs.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know. The part about "you may feel smug" made me laugh. Like, is this a joke? The Fi one was cute, too: pick a mammal, any mammal (sleeping, feeding, this can include humans) and guess how it is feeling and what it needs.

I love that site's description of tertiary Ni. :rofl1:

VagrantFarce

What is an accurate description of Ni? :thinking:

You're considering an object / event / person / "something" in front of you, and somehow your perspective shifts and places that "something" as a central focus, and the meaning of everything else changes, and that allows you to link other "somethings" with it contextually, and suddenly you're witnessing a fully developed pattern perpetuating itself into the future, seemingly without end?

Or something? :doh:

(I've been re-editing this post over and over for about 20 minutes now, lol)

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Stolen from one of Jaguar's posts-

Introverted iNtuition (Ni)

* Foreseeing
* Conceptualizing
* Understanding complex patterns
* Synthesizing and symbolizing
* Future

"This is how it will be."
"Aha, that's it!"

When Ni is a preferred process:

* You usually feel a certainty about what is going to happen, often without much detail and without being able to trace the actual data that would support the prediction.
* You focus on "what will be."
* You are energized by transformational visions of how someone can grow or of a completely original approach to get there.
* You are drawn to make those visions manifest.
* Frequently you experience flashes of insight that present themselves as very broad themes and complex whole patterns or systems of thought without being triggered by external events.
* Inner images come as a knowing that taps into universal symbols and with a certainty that they are true.

Introverted Intuiting is about Seeking Insights and Meanings

It focuses on:

* Identifying underlying meaning
* Identifying the inter-relatedness of data
* Synthesizing the information to reveal the "golden nuggets"

Its approach is to:

* Just state how or what action to take
* Rely on insight to develop vision for the future
* Envision without the need for tangible support

Introverted Intuiting's verbal communications are delivered in absolutes with a quest for meaning, i.e.:

* "Why?"
* Identifying the hidden meaning
* States what is going on behind the scenes

Introverted Intuiting's nonverbal cues are: reflective, serious, and confident; may appear complex, disengaged; could appear hesitant to respond.

To build rapport with introverted Intuiting, we can try:

* Providing a theoretical framework
* Using symbolic, conceptual language
* Relating concrete experience to theories
* Asking them to show you how they made their connections
* Asking for the long-term vision

Here are the sorts of complaints we make about introverted Intuiting when we feel uncomfortable. We say the person is:

* Serious and arrogant
* Complex and vague
* Theoretical or lacking specifics
* Inflexible and adversarial
* Out of touch with reality

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What is an accurate description of Ni? :thinking:

You're considering an object / event / person / "something" in front of you, and somehow your perspective shifts and places that "something" as a central focus, and the meaning of everything else changes, and that allows you to link other "somethings" with it contextually, and suddenly you're witnessing a fully developed pattern perpetuating itself into the future, seemingly without end?

Or something? :doh:

(I've been re-editing this post over and over for about 20 minutes now, lol)

I like this one:

Proposed definition #3: Orientation by manner of orientation

Introverted Intuition is a way of orienting yourself to your environment by consciously attending to the expected interpretations of things. In this manner of orientation, you hold agnostic about whether those interpretations are true. You view them as expected interpretations, nothing more. Your world is a world of expected interpretations defined by others; you navigate through those interpretations and use them without regard to whether they're true, always keeping the interpretations separate in your mind from the actual objects.

For example, whereas from an Extraverted Sensation perspective, you might feel very impressed upon meeting a man wearing a fancy Italian suit (signs call forth a natural response and need no interpretation); from an Ni perspective, you would consciously say to yourself that he's wearing an Italian suit and this is supposed to make you think he's wealthy or upper-class or really has his act together or something like that, and therefore is supposed to make you feel impressed (signs and what they mean are connected only arbitrarily). Whether he really does have his act together is a matter upon which you reserve judgement. Consequently you don't feel impressed. You merely note the expected interpretation as no less a part of your environment than the suit itself.

As a language of Ego Orientation

As a Dominant Function, Ni leads INJs to anchor themselves primarily in discovery of and attunement to that "what else"--to seek communion with it for its own sake. INJs are typically concerned with finding an independent and all-encompassing perspective on whatever interests them, so they can see it without bias, without being fooled or led along by ways in which other interests have set things up, and without a merely partial understanding.

As a Secondary Function, Ni typically leads ENJs to be aware of alternative ways of negotiating the social world, that exploit the assumptions that people make in order for there to be a social world. One might use this awareness to be on guard against cheaters, to prevail by setting knots and traps for others to fall into, to commit to a vision that might currently seem impossible, or a thousand other ways to serve or create an Extraverted goal.

As a Tertiary Function, Ni typically leads ISPs to suspect others of hypocrisy and cheating and putting on appearances aimed at exploiting people's credulity--especially hypocrisy inherent in social institutions. Sometimes ISPs draw upon Ni to find ways to throw a monkey wrench into social systems that call them into some kind of obligation: to respond in ways that don't make sense within the system's explicitly stated ways of interpreting behavior as cooperative or hostile (but are indeed hostile).

As an Inferior Function, Ni typically leads ESPs to either self-doubt or claim to a mystic vision--to see themselves as an oracle of transcendent truth, bypassing the need for finding things out through observation, reasoning, and putting ideas to a test.

Naturally, you can see plenty of dominant-style Ni in ENJs, secondary-style Ni in INJs, and so on--even inferior-style Ni in INJs.