MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    A Quick Guide To Double-Checking Your Type
    A note: a lot of this is based on what Linda Berens thinks, feel free to dismiss it if you find you disagree.

Step 1: Determine your Interaction Style

Determining your Interaction Style can help narrow down your type. If you manage to settle on just one, you've only got four left to choose from!
    (Adapted/Stolen from here )

Each of us has two other opposing pairs of innate preferences. In our communications we prefer either Directing or Informing. In our interaction with others we prefer either Initiating or Responding.
    Directing communications have a time and task orientation with an implication of urgency to get the task done. "Have your report to me by close of business today."
    Informing communications are designed to enroll the other in the process by providing motivation with relevant information. "Your report is an essential part of our project."
    The directing style of communication is easiest to spot. The extreme form is the style used by traffic cops, stressed parents, and military commanders. It includes communications that would be classified as a "direct order." Examples include: "Sit down", "Put it over there", "Clean your room."

The informing style of communication is harder to detect. Sometimes those with the directing style are simply oblivious to it, not recognizing that a defining interaction just transpired. Extreme forms of this communication include messages that might be classified as "victim talk." Examples include: "I don't have any money", "That music is so loud", I'm not feeling good."
    Initiating types are more comfortable with making the first contact and establishing role relationships. They like to engage others in interaction and conversation and are more fast paced.
    Responding types are more comfortable letting others initiate contact and accepting the roles established by others. They are more slow paced and are comfortable with silence.
    I'll choose to dismiss this on the grounds that it isn't Jungian. Simply stop and compare Jungian typology with Myers-Briggs: consider the fact that the latter had developed their own typology before discovering Jung. You will see that the MBTI represents a fusion of Jungian ideas with ideas Myers-Briggs held to previous to their discovering Jung.

Case in point, little if anything regarding introversion and extroversion survives in the MBTI portraits of types. Where Myers-Briggs considered I/E to be a behavior, Jung considered it to be an attitude. Much could be deduced about behaviors resulting from attitudes, but social psychologists have known for decades (and studies prove it) that attitudes do not necessarily correspond with behaviors. The science of social psychology is practically based on this fact.

From http://wilderdom.com/psychology/soci...Attitudes.html
    Can Attitudes Predict Behaviour?

General attitudes are poor predictors of behaviour e.g., attitude to environment
    However, attitudes are likely to predict behaviour when:
    The attitude and behaviour are specific
    Environmental reinforcement matches attitude
    Important others share the same attitude
    Can Attitudes Predict Behaviour?

...attitudes are likely to predict behaviour when:
    Attitudes are implicit (unconscious)
    Attitudes are strong
    Attitude has developed from personal experience
    The relevant part of this quote comes in the first sentence, "General attitudes are poor predictors of behaviour e.g., attitude to environment." That is, introversion and extroversion, as general attitudes, are poor predictors of behavior. (It does not mean attitude toward environmentalism or ecology...)

A difference in general attitude toward one's environment can be visualized through a simple question: When you lose something such as the TV remote, do you immediately: A. ask someone if they've seen it (assuming anybody is around to ask), or B. start looking for it yourself and only ask someone more or less as a last resort?

True, introverts are more "self-sufficient" in the latter sense. However, one cannot predict, with certainty, on any given occasion of losing something whether or not the introvert or extrovert is going to act out with either A (ask someone immediately, if possible) or B (start hunting around without asking for help).

So the insertion of introverted and extroverted behaviors into the MBTI was not based on any kind of scientific fact or study, when there is supposedly some kind of root or origin with Jungian typology regarding general attitude. It is simply original Myers-Briggs typology granted, without warrant, the intellectual reputation and dignity of Jung's great theory of types by mashing it together into one homogeneous blend of theories.

I have nothing against VagrantFarce's theory of communication styles quoted above. But it is reminiscent of some superficial, pre-Jungian idea Myers and Briggs may have come up with before they met up with Jungian typology. And as usual it is being given the respectability, not only of Jung, but of the MBTI which has gained much popular (although not scientific) credibility since it originated around 1940.
    Reminder (for others):
    Your = belonging to you, you're = you are, they're = they are, their = belonging to them, there = not here.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I am sure that there are plenty of self-help w/ types on the internet. This particular one seems very helpful to me, and if you read the all of the "preferences" she has given, they seem to be the same descripts as MBTI only written slightly different. People are always saying about ALL the personality tests that they can't choose which b/c they do both! Well, obviously if you understand any personality test you will understand that we all behave using all of the functions. The difference is what you prefer MOST of the time! That means, that while I may be an introvert, I may not be as introverted as someone else whom may use introversion more of the time than I do. That doesn't mean that I don't prefer it, it just means that I just don't USE it as often as someone else. Therefore, I may be INTP, BUT that doesn't mean I am like EVERY OTHER INTP. Not at all, b/c I am a HUMAN BEING. Aren't we supposed to be like snowflakes? I may have some things in common w/ other INTP's (and I do), BUT that doesn't mean we are identical. It simply means we prefer the same preferences.

In conclusion, if you are getting pissed off or attacking someone b/c you don't understand personality preferences, calm down, read more, and try to understand before just denying that any of this is valid...

(note...I can be VERY directive when frustrated...after trying to "ask nicely" so many times, I get pissed)

SingSmileShine

Yup. Still an ENFP. Thank you! That was very interesting. (:

Junior Member Array
    MBTI
    ._.
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

INTJ? i thought i was infp.. more confused now :S

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

ACK! I got INFJ...
    ( . )( . )

maybe i should reconsider my type
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

Banned Array
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    AVC

The only one Informing/Responding and Abstract/Pragmatic had in common were INTP.

philosopher wood nymph Array greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Confirms xNTP, but doesn't help much with the I/E. Equally Get-things-going and Behind-the-scenes I think. Definitely Abstract, and probably Pragmatic because my first instinct is definitely to act autonomously and independently. I keep the group in mind, but it's not my primary focus. I like group work because 1) it lessens my work load, 2) I encounter new ideas, 3) I get to socialize; but it always makes me feel a bit nervous because I feel bound by obligations I don't entirely understand.

6w5, 4w3, 1w9 (probably)

Junior Member Array
    MBTI
    INFP

I believe that this validates me being a definite INFP.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI

Hmph. This somehow transformed me into an ENTP. I'm positive that I'm an Introvert.