Hey everyone, first time poster! And yes, I plan on abusing every emoticon in your collection.
So I've taken the mbti about a gazillion times and have frequently come up with different profiles. What I find so frustrating about psychometric instruments is that they basically tell you your self-perception, not necessarily who you really are (only who you think you are). And I do believe temperament is constant and consistent, which creates the aggravation. :steam: It's a hard thing to lock down..
Not sure if this exercise will resolve that, but I think it's worth trying. Here are some self-descriptions that I would use (oh, and I'm a guy, if that helps):
- I used to be very shy, but eventually outgrew it. I now feel comfortable mingling at parties, although I'll never be the life of the party. I'm more sociable when there's a particular objective involved, like at a networking event or finding a date, at which point I can be very charming. But truth be told, I could stay indoors for months and never see anyone and I'd be perfectly fine with that. As long as I have plenty of books. I'm surrounded by books, mostly non-fiction.
- For work, I can't stand working in repetitive, operational, boring jobs. They suck the life right out of me. I work with ideas and opportunities, so I prefer entrepreneurship. I don't like details, just the big picture vision. I like to create and I like to lead. But my idea of "leadership" is very different from the norm. For me, it's not about control, but liberation. I want to hear everyone's opinion and include everyone in decision making. My role is to hold up that vision and inspire people to follow it. I want to free people from old thinking.
- I don't handle conflict well. I avoid it as much as possible, to keep the peace. I have been called the peacemaker. So I'm good at resolving other people's conflicts, but don't initiate my own. Sometimes it's necessary to initiate a conflict, but I won't. But if conflict is brought to me, and I mean serious conflict, I will end it. I'm the nicest person you could meet, but if someone broke into my home, threatened my loved ones, I cannot even begin to describe the merciless annihilation I would bring to bear on my enemies. But other than that, I'm a really nice guy.
- Love my autonomy, don't like to be controlled. Love the whole concept of freedom and I'm willing to defend other's autonomy.
- People call me serious. I guess that's how I appear, but I don't feel serious inside. I'm very soft, actually. I'm always crying when watching sad movies (alone, of course.. have to hide it when I'm with others). Sometimes, I feel like I'm an infinite well of emotion, but you'd never tell if you met me. Calm, cool, and collected. Especially under pressure. But I never have trouble telling those I love that I love them and in a relationship, I'm often the first to do so.
- By the length of this post, you'd think I'm talkative, but I'm not. I'm mostly quiet, listening carefully. I think I like to listen so that I can read people. I can pick up other people's temperaments pretty quickly by the things they say, even how they say them. I like talking with people one-on-one, getting to know them, helping them any way I can. But I don't often talk to strangers, I'm not one to start a conversation in the checkout line.
- Deadlines. Love them, as long as I can move them at will. I'm very goal/achievement oriented, but I want to do things in my own time, at my own pace, based on whatever I've prioritized at the moment. If I'm honest with myself, I can be a big procrastinator. I only work on what I think is valuable at the moment, which means paying the bills can wait until tomorrow (i.e.: until they're late). :rolli:
- My place is always mess, but I don't care. Unless someone's coming over, then everything gets magically arranged.
- Presentations. Love doing them, as long as it's to seven people or less. Any more than that will start causing extreme anxiety (probably because I can't read more than seven people at once). Although I always have this fantasy of giving an inspirational presentation to a large group.
- I'm good at predicting trends, so much so that sometimes I think I'm bordering on psychic. I get premonitions and hunches that often come true. I'm not religious, but I do feel a bizarre 'cosmic connection' that I find hard to explain, given my penchant for science. It's shocking how many important decisions I make in my life based on a gut feel.
So there you have it, me in a nutshell. Looking forward to your MBTI assessments.