• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP, INTP, or even ISTP? Long post btw

nzAShadow

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
For about five years now I've flipped flopped between three of the MBTI types, all three of them being different temperaments even, and also very certain that none of the other types of each temperament relate to me.

These types being INTP, INFP, and ISTP.

All three of the usual type descriptions relate to me very well, with confusion on the INFP, the fluffy descriptions never sat well with me. So I took it deeper and went to Jung for advice, and his description of Fi resonated very well, but so did the Ti descriptions.

I have taken the cognitive strengths test. I scored with extremely well usage for Ne, with Se following very closely. Ti and Fi were the same, but came out with the exact same score as each other. This test merely showed me that my Ne maybe more slightly more dominant than the Se. But what of Ti and Fi?

I suppose I can say facts that may help or not.

I hate auto mechanics. Then again, with practically no knowledge of computers, I managed to gain a reputation as a computer technician just from being able to figure things out with a trial and error approach anytime someone asked for help. Fantastic with my hands, someone once told me I should be a surgeon, and I've always been an exceptional athlete, but never a team player, so I shied away from sports. I'm also a great driver, even though I pay absolutely no attention to the road, constantly messing with my radio, making sure I'm not smoking into my filter of the cigarette, texting, whatever. But on that note, a car has literally flipped and did a barrel roll in front of me, and I hadn't noticed, I still have no memory of it happening, even with my friend in the car yelling at me and pointing "what was that!"

I have always been regarded as a very excellent writer, but it has to be in a completely free form format, such as blogs or whatnot. I've also enjoyed reading my entire life, and love a fantasy setting, especially when there's a strong philosophical theme, or moral theme. I am constantly in tune with the way people are feeling, if someone around me is depressed, I notice, and it affects me greatly. If someone is angry, the same.

Is that last point an inferior Fe in action? Or possibly an Fi thing?

When something grating on my mental well being, I will never tell anyone. Anything that makes me upset in anyway, I get completely inwardly focused until it is under control. I have never been able to express myself to another person in anyway about matters that are currently bothering me. This seems to resonate well with Jung's description with Fi, as Fi dominants will guard their feelings very closely, and tend to have more of a stoic persona.

Not sure if this means much, but I have always had an exceptional talent with math, but completely lacking the patience for it, until I got to calculus or trigonometry. I found a new joy in the world, these subjects opened up a completely new perspective on math, it was no longer boring, but even a fun way to spend my time.

Albert Einstein has always been one of my favorite role models, and I love his philosophies on humanity and ethics especially.

Fictional role models I relate to on a deep level would be Drizzt Do'Urden, who I believe is an INFP, for those of you who know of him. Another Being Spike Spiegal, who I believe is ISTP, for those of you who know of him. Anyone who watched Death Note would know of L, my favorite character of that show, who seemed to be very INTP.

I love thinking through ethics and philosophy, which most of my writing revolves around. I love theories, hence my constant obsession with MBTI. My bookshelf is littered with math books, psychology (for focus on Jung especially, very few Freudian books), a large collection of fantasy themed books.

Of my friends who know of MBTI, I have a friend who believes I'm INTP, and friend who believes I'm INFP, I also act accordingly when in the presence of one or another, not sure why I do that.

Since there's simply too much text in this post, one more bit of info. I believe with a fair amount of certainty that I an Enneagram type 5, with a possible 4 wing, though there was a time I was seriously thinking I was a type 9.

Anyways, too long I know. Don't tell me to take the tests, I can get whatever score I want, and can trick myself into believing some of my own bias, though aware of it, I'm not confident that I'm completely honest with myself.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sounds pretty NF overall. So I'd guess INFP.

I relate to Jung's description of Fi much more than many of the fluffy profiles also. Fluffy profiles seem to be something a lot of INFPs have a problem with. It's not so much that they are inaccurate (still the most accurate of the profiles for me), as they can be deceiving in their phrasing and language. People read "emotional" and "empathetic" and they think "warm" and "demonstrative".... That's why I think ISFJs get mistyped as INFPs a lot. There's too much about "serving humanity" when INFPs really want to install their vision of perfection in reality - not quite so self-sacrificing as seeking fulfillment and expression for themselves and their ideas. Luckily, most INFPs visions are not entirely selfish because we're so morally driven.

People also seem to forget the big caveats: INFPs can be warm and caring, with people they are close to; INFPs dislike conflict, but will vehemently defend their values (anything important to them); INFPs are usually easy-going, but can be controlling and perfectionist with a cause/project/whatever they value, etc...

If you read the profiles carefully, then you see that INFPs can be as cranky and difficult as they can be kind and compassionate, but the average stranger is going to see a rather placid and blank individual.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
You sound like an INFP to me. It seems that you have an overall preference for Fi and Ne, and it's neither impossible nor unusual for an INFP to have high Ti (my father definitely does, but his preference is Fi - and he's cetainly anything but fluffy and emotional!). It's interesting that you also show signs of high Se, but if I were you, I wouldn't worry about it and just be grateful fot it - lots of us can be only envious:)

nzAShadow

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Alright, thanks for the input, and curing my temporary lapse of indecisiveness. I only recently decided I was INFP, but after 5 years of not being sure some outside input is helpful, lol.