User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Has anoyone had someone else take the test for them?

In one of my Psychology classes yesterday we were talking about how friends are better predictors of someone's behavior than the actual person is. This made me wonder if someone else taking the MBTI for me would come up with different (more accurate) results. I want to ask my boyfriend to do it but have been putting it off because I know he will grumble and make a fuss about it since he has already taken a bajillion personality tests at my request. Has anyone had a close friend/family member/S.O. take the test with you in mind? If yes, were the results different and how? Were they more accurate?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

I have a friend that I typed as ENFJ, but he took the test for himself, and it ended up resulting in ENTJ. I was like, "Hell no you are not ENTJ. There's just no way; you are too nice." He had his girlfriend of 2 years retake the test on his behalf, and it ended up resulting in ENFJ. I think I win.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    In one of my Psychology classes yesterday we were talking about how friends are better predictors of someone's behavior than the actual person is. This made me wonder if someone else taking the MBTI for me would come up with different (more accurate) results. I want to ask my boyfriend to do it but have been putting it off because I know he will grumble and make a fuss about it since he has already taken a bajillion personality tests at my request. Has anyone had a close friend/family member/S.O. take the test with you in mind? If yes, were the results different and how? Were they more accurate?
    Friends might be able to predict one's BEHAVIOR better than oneself, but I doubt they'd know one's PREFERENCES better than oneself.

The Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator asks you what your preferences are, not what your behaviors are.

Or, as Wikipedia puts it:

The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) assessment is a psychometric questionnaire designed to measure psychological preferences in how people perceive the world and make decisions.
    I don't see how someone else could understand how you perceive the world and make decisions better than you.

There is, however, a test in which you compare your self-assessment with someone else's assessment of you.

(It's not Johari/Nohari, by the way. It's something else.)

I'll see if I can dig up a link.....

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Wonkavision View Post
    Friends might be able to predict one's BEHAVIOR better than oneself, but I doubt they'd know one's PREFERENCES better than oneself.

The Meyers Briggs Type Indicator asks you what your preferences are, not what your behaviors are.

So, no, I don't think someone else taking the MBTI for you would work.

I think it's possible to relate to and confide in somebody so deeply that they understand your preferences better than even you, but maybe that's just the romantic in me.

Anywho, relying on one's ability to be honest about his/herself is kind of asking a lot. It's hard for people to be objective about their own values; they may think they value X because they want to be that type of person that values X, but all of their actions and tendencies and thought processes don't actually match up with their impressions of themselves. A person's views on who he/she actually is can be clouded by what he/she wants to be.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

To the OP, I think it could be potentially more valuable - in terms of determining the extroverted function without personal prejudice/inability to be completely objective, which is what teslashock was referring to.

So an outsider would very likely be better at determining whether you are an INTJ or an INFJ, because they would have experienced firsthand either the Fe or the Te preference (and I would argue in this sense - the external function - mbti CAN be and is behavioral - as ones preferences will obviously influence the resulting behaviors, and anything extroverted is going to have a behavioral component, even if that behavior is only the method of communication/delivery)

The outsider, however, would NOT be in as good a position to determine whether you are an ISTJ vs. INTJ, or ENTP vs. ENFP, because they can't 'see' the Ni/Si or Ti/Fi inner workings (but honestly I don't think it would be that difficult for the outsider to be able to account for these either, because close friends would know you pretty darn well - and agree with teslashock, maybe in some ways better than you know yourself: at least when it comes to being able to throw your general preferences into one of 16 possibilities.)
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Has anyone had a close friend/family member/S.O. take the test with you in mind? If yes, were the results different and how? Were they more accurate?
    I've had 20 friends take the test for me, the Big 5 as well. They consistently come up with ENTP, ENFJ, and ENTJ, but mostly ENTP.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    To the OP, I think it could be potentially more valuable - in terms of determining the extroverted function without personal prejudice/inability to be completely objective, which is what teslashock was referring to.

So an outsider would very likely be better at determining whether you are an INTJ or an INFJ, because they would have experienced firsthand either the Fe or the Te preference (and I would argue in this sense - the external function - mbti CAN be and is behavioral - as ones preferences will obviously influence the resulting behaviors, and anything extroverted is going to have a behavioral component, even if that behavior is only the method of communication/delivery)

The outsider, however, would NOT be in as good a position to determine whether you are an ISTJ vs. INTJ, or ENTP vs. ENFP, because they can't 'see' the Ni/Si or Ti/Fi inner workings (but honestly I don't think it would be that difficult for the outsider to be able to account for these either, because close friends would know you pretty darn well - and agree with teslashock, maybe in some ways better than you know yourself: at least when it comes to being able to throw your general preferences into one of 16 possibilities.)
    Very good. I'll agree with that.

MBTI
    ISFJ

I imagine this is possible with extroverts. Because everything's on the table, it's very easy for anyone to look down and sort through the mess. With introverts, however, you had better hope that the person taking the test for you knows all your deep dark little secrets. Especially with functions like Ni. They may think they know what's going on in there, but realistically the calm surface of the water tends not to be a very good indicator of the depth underneath

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I think it's a good idea, especially if they know something about MBTI. You could at least compare and discuss.

MBTI
    ISFJ

I think cascadeco and I are on the same frequency here.