• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is My Dad an INFP or ISTJ?

G

Ginkgo

I feel like an ignorant dolt for asking this, but is my dad an INFP or an ISTJ?

Keep in mind that these types differentiate by three whole letters. However, my question still stands as feasible because both INFP and ISTJ exhibit use of Fi and Si.

Now, I previously believed my father to be an INFP with strong Te tendencies because Te apparently develops in INFPs around middle-age. (Or so some theories suggest).

However, upon completing the MBTI test in Please Understand Me II, his result was ISTJ.

The composition of his characteristics -

-Easy to get along with strangers

-Very politically conservative

-Religiously astute

-Wears very formal clothes, as if he is at work 24/7

-Does not like to experience variety unless forced

-Dry sense of humor that usually consists of erratic behavior

-Good at reconciling separate parties when needed

-Extremely introverted

-Does not appreciate criticism (He does not make this apparent, but I can sense some sort of Fi ruffling underneath his posterior)

-Often refers back to memories when conversing with people

-Enjoys technology

-Loathes destruction of property, even in the slightest sense

-Goes through great lengths to avoid damaging things

-Very passive aggressive

-Anal retentive about money/time spent

-Can hold abstract conversation quite pointedly

-Often listens to talk shows involving politics

-Quite intelligent, with copious vocabulary

-When a new or challenging experience presents itself, has a funny and befuddled expression on his face :)steam: :huh: :confused: :eek:uch:)

-Does not watch movies or entertainment very often

The more I describe him, the more I realize that he's probably a guardian temperament.

I can't believe I thought he was an INFP! :17425::17425:

G

Ginkgo

Oh yes, and he pretty much looks like this guy, but less of a douche. :D

[YOUTUBE="805-Qg9V0fU"]ISTJ LOL[/YOUTUBE]

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Your dad sounds like an ISFJ

G

Ginkgo

Your dad sounds like an ISFJ

Perhaps, but I think I can see some Fi there, not much Fe. :huh: He's similar in comparison to a couple of ISFJs I know.

Oh yes, and he always carries a Palm-Pilot to schedule everything out. It practically reminds him to expunge his business in the bathroom.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah it doesn't seem like he rides your ass enough to be an ISTJ.

I mean for you to even THINK that he might be the same type as you discounts the possibility of an ISTJ.

G

Ginkgo

Yeah it doesn't seem like he rides your ass enough to be an ISTJ.

I mean for you to even THINK that he might be the same type as you discounts the possibility of an ISTJ.

INFPs are more similar to ISTJs than ISFJs according to functional analysis.

And anyway, I find that INFPs like myself have a high susceptibility to the Forer Effect.

EDIT: Either than, or I'm an ISTJ. :tongue:

Oh yeah, and he "rides my ass" quite a bit. In fact, that's almost all he ever does.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

In reality, an ISFJ is much more likely to be confused with an INFP though. I suspect there are a few ISFJs in INFP clothing around here and on other MBTI boards. People mistake their nurturing and self-sacrificing with INFP idealistic driven compassion and emotional healing. Two very different things...

I would go with ISTJ based on your description. I confused an ISTJ once for INFP based solely on the fact that he had a very altruistic streak. He volunteered a lot, and generally took a strong interest in helping people. However, SJs are duty-fulfilling types, and often have traditional values that include caring for their community. Their motivation comes from a different place, and they tend to aid people in practical ways and by doing things for them. I think NFs love that side of them, and we tend to want to own and identify with what we love.

A few other confusing qualities:

ISTJs can seem crusty on the surface, but may seem friendly to strangers because it is appropriate.

INFPs can seem cranky because Fi doesn't care about what it "should" care about, but when Fi does care, an INFP can seem very warm and caring.

Sardonic sense of humor....INFPs will be more abstract though, and it will hit you randomly. ISTJs tend to be more observational and dry.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In reality, an ISFJ is much more likely to be confused with an INFP though. I suspect there are a few ISFJs in INFP clothing around here and on other MBTI boards. People mistake their nurturing and self-sacrificing with INFP idealistic driven compassion and emotional healing. Two very different things...

This is one of the things that I've noticed with ISFJs and INFPs. On the surface they can seem VERY similar, but when you really get to know them they are very different. Yet still pretty similar. You just have to look for Ne vs Fe.

VagrantFarce

they both belong to the same interaction style (behind the scenes), so it's not suprising :)

G

Ginkgo

I would go with ISTJ based on your description. I confused an ISTJ once for INFP based solely on the fact that he had a very altruistic streak. He volunteered a lot, and generally took a strong interest in helping people. However, SJs are duty-fulfilling types, and often have traditional values that include caring for their community. Their motivation comes from a different place, and they tend to aid people in practical ways and by doing things for them. I think NFs love that side of them, and we tend to want to own and identify with what we love.

A few other confusing qualities:

ISTJs can seem crusty on the surface, but may seem friendly to strangers because it is appropriate.

INFPs can seem cranky because Fi doesn't care about what it "should" care about, but when Fi does care, an INFP can seem very warm and caring.

Sardonic sense of humor....INFPs will be more abstract though, and it will hit you randomly. ISTJs tend to be more observational and dry.

From what you're describing, my dad is more ISTJ. He doesn't seem driven by humanitarian needs, per se. He's more technical. The word "Crusty" has exactitude.

I can personally relate with the random, abstract, snide remarks. They usually occur when I see someone as being meticulous or irrational. ;)

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
I feel like an ignorant dolt for asking this, but is my dad an INFP or an ISTJ?

Keep in mind that these types differentiate by three whole letters. However, my question still stands as feasible because both INFP and ISTJ exhibit use of Fi and Si.

Now, I previously believed my father to be an INFP with strong Te tendencies because Te apparently develops in INFPs around middle-age. (Or so some theories suggest).

However, upon completing the MBTI test in Please Understand Me II, his result was ISTJ.

The composition of his characteristics -

-Easy to get along with strangers

-Very politically conservative

-Religiously astute

-Wears very formal clothes, as if he is at work 24/7

-Does not like to experience variety unless forced

-Dry sense of humor that usually consists of erratic behavior

-Good at reconciling separate parties when needed

-Extremely introverted

-Does not appreciate criticism (He does not make this apparent, but I can sense some sort of Fi ruffling underneath his posterior)

-Often refers back to memories when conversing with people

-Enjoys technology

-Loathes destruction of property, even in the slightest sense

-Goes through great lengths to avoid damaging things

-Very passive aggressive

-Anal retentive about money/time spent

-Can hold abstract conversation quite pointedly

-Often listens to talk shows involving politics

-Quite intelligent, with copious vocabulary

-When a new or challenging experience presents itself, has a funny and befuddled expression on his face :)steam: :huh: :confused: :eek:uch:)

-Does not watch movies or entertainment very often

The more I describe him, the more I realize that he's probably a guardian temperament.

I can't believe I thought he was an INFP! :17425::17425:

Sounds like my buddy Dana who is an ISTJ

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx

That's why I don't follow functional analysis.

"Paging Dr. Simulated world..."

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
typing other people is hard. I'm an ENTJ, but I'm often confused with an ESTP.

ENTJs and ESTPs are both extraverted utilitarian thinkers, so it's easy to confuse the two.

I've pointed out before how those two types can appear similar to each other, but a lot of ig'nant people on this board don't believe me.

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
ha yes simulated would be of help here. I think ISTJ though, like beyond a doubt.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
ENTJs and ESTPs are both extraverted utilitarian thinkers, so it's easy to confuse the two.

I've pointed out before how those two types can appear similar to each other, but a lot of ig'nant people on this board don't believe me.

It depends on the individual. Perhaps you know some ESTPs who can be confused with ENTJs, but other people on this site don't, so they naturally won't believe you. (Actually, I do. When I was still new to typology, I initially typed one guy as ESTP, but after I studied it into depth it became clear he was unmistakeably an ENTJ. The "cover" was similar, the "inner principles" definitely not. He wasn't after fun, he was after power.;) ) Judging from the functions, ESFPs could be more likely confused with ENTJs, and I am acquainted with one ENTJ girl whose lifestyle was very ESFP when she was a teenager, but saying that it's a rule would be a stretch, and even Forer effect.

You seem to imply that ISFJs are more likely to be confused with INFPs than ISTJs, well, in some cases that's true, in others - absolutely not. For example, my INFP father has very strong Si and Ti and is a workaholic, hence he could outwardly seem like an ISTJ, and my INFP brother has apparently taken the same route, taking up Te for Ti, which made him extremely hard to type at first, but the thought patterns always give people away. People with high Ne always primarily look for possibilities and always try to balance people who are too "convinced" about their own truths, because for them, no truth is definite. Even when they seem very convinced themselves, it's only because they've already explored all the other possibilities and finally decided than one of them agrees the most with their own principles, be it Fi or Ti. (But this is already off-topic...)

To the OP, I agree with the ISTJ typing (your father actually sounds like a very strong ISTJ). Fe is fairly easy to spot and nothing you described indicates it, so I'd exclude the ISFJ.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
It depends on the individual. Perhaps you know some ESTPs who can be confused with ENTJs, but other people on this site don't, so they naturally won't believe you. (Actually, I do. When I was still new to typology, I initially typed one guy as ESTP, but after I studied it into depth it became clear he was unmistakeably an ENTJ. The "cover" was similar, the "inner principles" definitely not. He wasn't after fun, he was after power.;) )

Actually, I forgot to expound on my statement. From what I noticed, ENTJ men seem to be fairly easy to confuse with ESTP men, but not the other way around. I theorized that it is due to the fact that a lot of male ENTJs tend to adapt ESTP social tactics due to their seeming effectiveness... of course, some ENTJs on the board (*cough*Jaguar*cogh*) disagree.. but anyway, it was just my theory.

Judging from the functions, ESFPs could be more likely confused with ENTJs, and I am acquainted with one ENTJ girl whose lifestyle was very ESFP when she was a teenager, but saying that it's a rule would be a stretch, and even Forer effect.

ENTJ women, just as ENTJ men, prize control and competence. For a woman, a lot of her worth is derived from the fact of how many men desire her. I've seen many ENTJ women notice that their more "feminine" counterparts like ENFPs and ESFPs get more male attention, even though being not significantly (if it all) better looking than ENTJs themselves. So in turn, those ENTJ women would attempt to mimic their counterparts to obtain the same results.

Now why wouldn't other types of women use the same tactics as ENTJ women. Well the thing is, ENTJs, being NTs, tend to pay close attention to systems and patterns . And being extraverts, they value social competence greatly. So they see effective patterns of other socially "desirable" types and attempt to incorporate that into their own behavior.

I haven't seen ENTPs do the same thing that ENTJs seem to do. That's either because ENTPs already view themselves as sufficiently socially competent, or they do not care for implementing other type's abilities.
[/QUOTE]