User Tag List

123 Last

Ginkgo

Default Is My Dad an INFP or ISTJ?

I feel like an ignorant dolt for asking this, but is my dad an INFP or an ISTJ?

Keep in mind that these types differentiate by three whole letters. However, my question still stands as feasible because both INFP and ISTJ exhibit use of Fi and Si.

Now, I previously believed my father to be an INFP with strong Te tendencies because Te apparently develops in INFPs around middle-age. (Or so some theories suggest).

However, upon completing the MBTI test in Please Understand Me II, his result was ISTJ.

The composition of his characteristics -

-Easy to get along with strangers

-Very politically conservative

-Religiously astute

-Wears very formal clothes, as if he is at work 24/7

-Does not like to experience variety unless forced

-Dry sense of humor that usually consists of erratic behavior

-Good at reconciling separate parties when needed

-Extremely introverted

-Does not appreciate criticism (He does not make this apparent, but I can sense some sort of Fi ruffling underneath his posterior)

-Often refers back to memories when conversing with people

-Enjoys technology

-Loathes destruction of property, even in the slightest sense

-Goes through great lengths to avoid damaging things

-Very passive aggressive

-Anal retentive about money/time spent

-Can hold abstract conversation quite pointedly

-Often listens to talk shows involving politics

-Quite intelligent, with copious vocabulary

-When a new or challenging experience presents itself, has a funny and befuddled expression on his face (:steam: :confused: :ouch

-Does not watch movies or entertainment very often

The more I describe him, the more I realize that he's probably a guardian temperament.

I can't believe I thought he was an INFP!

Sounds like my dad, who I suspect to be an ISTJ too.
    Hello

Ginkgo

Oh yes, and he pretty much looks like this guy, but less of a douche.

[YOUTUBE="805-Qg9V0fU"]ISTJ LOL[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    INTJ

Your dad sounds like an ISFJ
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Your dad sounds like an ISFJ
    Perhaps, but I think I can see some Fi there, not much Fe. He's similar in comparison to a couple of ISFJs I know.

Oh yes, and he always carries a Palm-Pilot to schedule everything out. It practically reminds him to expunge his business in the bathroom.

MBTI
    INTJ

Yeah it doesn't seem like he rides your ass enough to be an ISTJ.

I mean for you to even THINK that he might be the same type as you discounts the possibility of an ISTJ.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Nope. Not an INFP.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Yeah it doesn't seem like he rides your ass enough to be an ISTJ.

I mean for you to even THINK that he might be the same type as you discounts the possibility of an ISTJ.
    INFPs are more similar to ISTJs than ISFJs according to functional analysis.

And anyway, I find that INFPs like myself have a high susceptibility to the Forer Effect.

EDIT: Either than, or I'm an ISTJ.

Oh yeah, and he "rides my ass" quite a bit. In fact, that's almost all he ever does.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    INFPs are more similar to ISTJs than ISFJs according to functional analysis.
    In reality, an ISFJ is much more likely to be confused with an INFP though. I suspect there are a few ISFJs in INFP clothing around here and on other MBTI boards. People mistake their nurturing and self-sacrificing with INFP idealistic driven compassion and emotional healing. Two very different things...

I would go with ISTJ based on your description. I confused an ISTJ once for INFP based solely on the fact that he had a very altruistic streak. He volunteered a lot, and generally took a strong interest in helping people. However, SJs are duty-fulfilling types, and often have traditional values that include caring for their community. Their motivation comes from a different place, and they tend to aid people in practical ways and by doing things for them. I think NFs love that side of them, and we tend to want to own and identify with what we love.

A few other confusing qualities:

ISTJs can seem crusty on the surface, but may seem friendly to strangers because it is appropriate.

INFPs can seem cranky because Fi doesn't care about what it "should" care about, but when Fi does care, an INFP can seem very warm and caring.

Sardonic sense of humor....INFPs will be more abstract though, and it will hit you randomly. ISTJs tend to be more observational and dry.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    In reality, an ISFJ is much more likely to be confused with an INFP though. I suspect there are a few ISFJs in INFP clothing around here and on other MBTI boards. People mistake their nurturing and self-sacrificing with INFP idealistic driven compassion and emotional healing. Two very different things...
    This is one of the things that I've noticed with ISFJs and INFPs. On the surface they can seem VERY similar, but when you really get to know them they are very different. Yet still pretty similar. You just have to look for Ne vs Fe.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)