• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can INFPs have high IQs?

Tom

MBTI Type
Jipe
Enneagram
Memb
Thanks for clearing that up, everything you said applies. :yes:

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
From memory INFPs are one of the more common high IQ types. They are quite good in science and in language, and have a lot higher concentration level than us ENFPs (though I'm yet to meet an ENFP who I'd call stupid).

You may also find the last point on personalitypage about INFP strengths in personal growth useful.

Usually deep and intelligent, they're able to grasp difficult concepts with relative ease. They usually do quite well academically, and will find that educating their minds nourishes their need to think deeply.

Intelligent and cynical humour is common for INFP. Feel gifted enough to be one of those who doesn't miss the joke :).

I'll note it is normally far less on display than NTs though. An INFP who I knew really well was in the top few at school, and he hardly mentioned school work or looked academic. Didn't turn up for his award at the end of final year either, because he thought it was all a big wank.

bighairything

MBTI Type
ENFP
Ne can make people very very clever. And being sensitive doesn't make someone incapable of thought.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Ne can make people very very clever. And being sensitive doesn't make someone incapable of thought.

As can Fi. In many cases (including some in science) a holistic approach and awareness of cause and effect in the wider system is actually superior to the linear logical approach. Don't tell anyone though ;).

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Any type "can" have a high IQ (though some types have higher proportions of gifted people; as noigman mentioned INFPs are actually one of these). There are gifted people of all types. If you stick around here for a while you'll see there are plenty of intelligent INFPs around (as well as other bright Fs).

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
From the IQ thread, this might be useful.

Predicted likelihood of being "gifted" among senior secondary students, given you know what type they are.
P(Gifted | INTP) = 16.99%
P(Gifted | INTJ) = 14.37%
P(Gifted | INFP) = 13.38%
P(Gifted | INFJ) = 13.35%
P(Gifted | ENTP) = 11.61%
P(Gifted | ENFP) = 10.16%
P(Gifted | ENTJ) = 7.43%
P(Gifted | ENFJ) = 6.3%
P(Gifted | ISTJ) = 4.93%
P(Gifted | ISTP) = 3.88%
P(Gifted | ESTP) = 2.46%
P(Gifted | ISFJ) = 2%
P(Gifted | ISFP) = 1.99%
P(Gifted | ESFP) = 1.4%
P(Gifted | ESTJ) = 1.3%
P(Gifted | ESFJ) = 1.18%

Percentage of each type among gifted and normal groups in a sample of senior secondary students
Sak_SynthesisOfResearchOnPsychologicalTypes05.gif

Last edited:

bighairything

MBTI Type
ENFP
As can Fi. In many cases (including some in science) a holistic approach and awareness of cause and effect in the wider system is actually superior to the linear logical approach. Don't tell anyone though ;).

Yes, I agree with this. You so often see otherwise intelligent NT's in particular espousing a tedious form of logical positivism that is quite dumb even on its own rationalistic grounds.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Hope you guys no, giftness is what you make out of it.

And if anyone should disagree with that tell me. I am not gifted but I can fight :)

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Part of me wants to be like,

"No. INFPs are stupid. Darn you, get it right!"

...But I can't keep a straight face while doing it. xD

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, don't let common misconceptions lead you to think that Feeling is just about emotion and doesn't evaluate anything else. Fi is excellent for critical thinking, and Ne aids in grasping theory and concepts with ease.

Also, there ARE plenty of stupid Thinkers. Visit INTP central for a sample. :devil:

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I've seen a couple things on MBTI and IQ/SAT scores that showed some correlations, and T/F definitely didn't have the strongest difference, Ts were just a little more likely to score higher. I think INXXs in general are most likely to have high IQ scores. It's mostly about N, because the IQ test favors the ability to think abstractly when it measures intelligence.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
My first answer is a question and my second answer doesn't answer my first answer:

1: Does IQ matter?

2: Of course.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, don't let common misconceptions lead you to think that Feeling is just about emotion and doesn't evaluate anything else. Fi is excellent for critical thinking, and Ne aids in grasping theory and concepts with ease.
Yes. I can spot emotional/visceral inconsistency from half a mile away. My first line of attack in debate is usually "why do you feel this way about this and yet feel this other way about that?" I can usually offer several possible answers to the question and systematically rule others out, too, and people usually resort to changing the subject or appealing to emotion. It makes reading newpapers quite painful. For every story I can think of others in which they took a different line for no fair reason - just because their readers will interpret negatively the actions of people different from them (or presented as such), and positively the actions of people similar enough or the most similar to them.

Here's a tip: if you're going to go mad and kill yourself and your child, you'd better have a reason that most people can begin to relate to, like ongoing harrassment and failure of the authorities to help. Then you'll be virtually canonised by the British press. It had better not have been a more organic mental illness, which most people haven't experienced, or you'll be an anathema. Suffering is only an excuse if it's caused by something people can conceive of happening to them. I don't read tabloids any more. They start to drive me apeshit.

T-led analysis is less likely to home in on underlying biases behind the assumed premises in that way because it detaches from emotion first, while Fi focuses on it first. But as usual, any type will do both if they're well-rounded, some just go down particular routes more automatically.

Anyway, I don't know my own IQ, have only ever been administered an abbreviated, specified version for diagnostic purposes, but as someone has said, the statistics suggest no type is unrepresented in the high IQ range. Even the statistical differences there are could be due to certain types tending to enjoy the test more, take it more seriously, doubt their ability to do it more, be more distracted by the presence of the admininstrator, all sorts of reasons other than their true cognitive potential.

FaithBW

MBTI Type
INFP
As others have said, any type can have a high IQ. I'm wonder what the intention behind the OP is. :huh: I was labeled gifted while in elementary school. I know I had to take an IQ test but I have no idea what my score was. I asked my mom and she didn't know either nor did she care. She wanted me in the gifted program so that I could have more opportunities in my education not so she could boast that my IQ is high. I've always done well in school (I suppose that's why I want to become a broke grad student as opposed to a broke person working in the real world). So I guess the short answer to the OP is yes. Although again, I wonder what the intention behind the question is.

Tom

MBTI Type
Jipe
Enneagram
Memb
I realise the title was quite badly put.

I was asking because recently a friend persuaded me to go with her to get typed, and I came out as INFP (incidentally she's ENFJ). From what I was told and what I've since read online about the functions, I felt it suited me to a tee save for a few minor points including having quite a high IQ (all of which were resolved by the first response). I wasn't implying that was good or bad, just kinda Tish.

So yeah... No offence; I'm just fairly type-naive. :doh:

B

brainheart

Don't listen to any arguments otherwise. We are a bunch of dumb asses. Seriously. All you have to do is read anything by some famous INFP fiction writer to see that.

I don't even know how to feed myself. I couldn't even exit the womb. Thank God for the INTJ doctor!

Tee hee!

I think I'm gonna go cry for a few hours now, after I wipe the drool off my chin.