• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can INFPs have high IQs?

I

Infinite Bubble

I will have marginally less faith that they can if OP is an INFP.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Everyone should know absolutely no feeling type has even the slightest bit of potential for having a high IQ - this thread is madness!

G

garbage

Let's dig up some studies that correlate MBTI test results with IQ

and then out of the other side of our mouths, proclaim how MBTI test results are actually meaningless

Standuble

imagine a road system that is self regulating to a degree based on specific speed ranges and limits. The end goal of the system is "of course" to avoid accidents & get people to their destination as reliably and efficiently as possible while taking into account budgeting & other physical constraints. Now imagine you have similar starting parameters but everyone can now drive 'twice as fast'. the optimum road system wouldn't be the same as the one with the original speed ranges.

elementary.

That's what I thought. In fact I stated the exact same thing in the very post you quoted from. I forgot to put it in and went back to edit said post. When I said "twice as fast" I was referring more as it would appear in real life. It was obvious the inner workings of the system would need design differences. What I was saying was more along the lines that system optimisation would only assist in that key area with no guarantee of any optimisation in areas of "data storage capacity", "reasoning capacity" or "skill proficiency".

But it wasn't my idea, just one I encountered on my travels. Refute it, support it and provide evidence for or against as you see fit.

Nicki

Retired
No, INFPs are incapable of having high IQs, it says so in the MBTI handbook.

Acerbusvenator

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Why shouldn't they be able to have high IQs? It's not like they have a learning disability or something.
Also, what is considered "IQ"?
Recognition of random patterns (like the Mensa test) the ESPs seem to score the highest, if I'm not mistaken then my ESFP mother got like 140 IQ or something according to that test and could have entered Mensa if she wanted to. She's not the brightest at other areas however which would have to do with her not being inquisitive nor very interested in expanding her knowledge. Unlike me who usually score between 95 - 110 and I'm extremely inquisitive and willing to expand my knowledge.

2 forms of IQ.

K4cy

Suppose you were an Infp with a high iq... What does that mean anyway?

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
My father (INTP) took the Mensa math and science test in socal and got the highest score they had ever seen there. He still didn't join! Lol
I (INFP) have taken two IQ tests. I received a score of 137 on one, 169 on the other. Both were administered tests, taken as an adult.
After the second test, I understood why dad didn't join Mensa... It's largely meaningless, especially for me. All I ever loved was music and art, and I still spell like a third grader anyway (i love spell check) lol
so please dont feel inferior about it. It takes heart and drive to do extrordinary things, not pedagree(sp? Lol!!!).

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Why shouldn't they be able to have high IQs? It's not like they have a learning disability or something.
Also, what is considered "IQ"?
Recognition of random patterns (like the Mensa test) the ESPs seem to score the highest, if I'm not mistaken then my ESFP mother got like 140 IQ or something according to that test and could have entered Mensa if she wanted to. She's not the brightest at other areas however which would have to do with her not being inquisitive nor very interested in expanding her knowledge. Unlike me who usually score between 95 - 110 and I'm extremely inquisitive and willing to expand my knowledge.

2 forms of IQ.
Its okey to be retarded. You dont have to make up narratives to justify it.

Acerbusvenator

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Its okey to be retarded. You dont have to make up narratives to justify it.
Well, you'd know.

But lol, I doubt you even know what retarded means, what level of IQ is seen as low etc.
A score around 70 on the Mensa test is their category for development issues.
The average score is a little less than 100.
Around 130 is the score for highly intelligent.

The test for intelligence do however only count the ability to connect patterns.

The last time I did the Mensa test was when I was 15.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have/had a high IQ- it's been a very long time but I definitely feel that my score as a child changed how I was treated. my parents just bragged about how smart and precocious I was a the time.

however, I've been on a brain cell murder spree the past few years so who knows what it is now.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not even sure how this topic came about considering that stereotypically speaking INFPs (along with the INTPs of course) are like the ultimate brooding intellectual.

Standuble

I'm not even sure how this topic came about considering that stereotypically speaking INFPs (along with the INTPs of course) are like the ultimate brooding intellectual.

I thought that was more like INTP or INFJ with INFP taking the title of "ultimate moody pseudo-intellectual" but I may be wrong.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

KDude

One group of questions I've hit a wall with in IQ type of testing are the spatial ones. To be able to predict the shape of an object by only seeing it from one angle. I think if there's any accounting for INFPs having high IQs, it'd be here. I think both INTP and INFP have, for lack of a better way of putting it, "holographic" thinking, perceiving issues and objects from many sides. They strive to create a complete picture. Maybe strive is the wrong word. Maybe it comes natural to them. That's probably a strength and a weakness too. It bogs them down sometimes.

That's my 2c though. It's just one of my weaknesses, and a strength I've somewhat observed from those two (I need to be more involved and hands on to see things the way they do).

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One group of questions I've hit a wall with in IQ type of testing are the spatial ones. To be able to predict the shape of an object by only seeing it from one angle. I think if there's any accounting for INFPs having high IQs, it'd be here. I think both INTP and INFP have, for lack of a better way of putting it, "holographic" thinking, perceiving issues and objects from many sides. They strive to create a complete picture. Maybe strive is the wrong word. Maybe it comes natural to them. That's probably a strength and a weakness too. It bogs them down sometimes.

That's my 2c though. It's just one of my weaknesses, and a strength I've somewhat observed from those two (I need to be more involved and hands on to see things the way they do).

I do this horribly, it's why I think Ne's use like some kind of doublethink/ may have a lot of dualities. I used to think it was just a P thing and I think that SP's do this to an extent as well. Can sound like they are wishy washy with all these varying perceptions. I still have trouble with the spatial stuff though, it takes me longer than I think it should. Don't know why. However it is a very good analogy to perceptive thinking. "I know what it looks like if I tilt it any which way." Regarding holographic thinking, I think it helps in a lot of areas but makes me (and presumably others) really indecisive and rambley and slow to come to set answers on anything.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not sure why there'd be any connection whatsoever between Ne and spatial intelligence....... much more often it's someone who is xSTP who is noted for incredible spatial skills, but I'm dubious of even that connection.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not sure why there'd be any connection whatsoever between Ne and spatial intelligence....... much more often it's someone who is xSTP who is noted for incredible spatial skills, but I'm dubious of even that connection.

Yea, I was thinking that, but had really shady reasoning, and couldn't remember if that was an actual thing or if I just made it up in my head.

(there should be a smiley representing "shady reasoning"- I would use that all the time)

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yea, I was thinking that, but had really shady reasoning, and couldn't remember if that was an actual thing or if I just made it up in my head.

See this whole thing about "knowing" something first and then stating it with shady reasoning? Classic extraverted intuitiveness......... rotating a kinked block into a lock, eh, not so much. What's so intuitive about moving things in your mind?

(there should be a smiley representing "shady reasoning"- I would use that all the time)

I skip the smiley in lieu of a implied warning of such "shady reasoning" in every single post by having my type as ENZP....