• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can INFPs have high IQs?

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I keep reading the thread title, trying to find the words to express how I feel, and, for once..I've got nothing. :shock:

Yes, I do. I think it's markedly INFP to wonder about something like this out loud, while perhaps not really believing it to be true. I'm going to assume the best. Therefore, you get a pass on the monumentally insulting title fail. Cheers. :cheers:

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Most statistical evidence I've seen puts them second, behind INTP. And for what it's worth, I've never seen ESFP bottom.

WTF are you talking about (with the ESFPs)?! You don't understand type preferences AT ALL.
I've posted type-IQ studies several times, so I don't particularly feel inclined to re-post them. Look for them in my post history. Anyway, the evidence I've seen is that MBTI type is correlated to intelligence in a discrete pattern as follows: INTJ, INTP, INFJ, INFP, ENTJ, ENTP, ENFJ, ENFP, ISTJ, ESTJ, ISFJ, ESFJ, ISTP, ESTP, ISFP, ESFP. So far, my own experience bears out this pattern, although interestingly enough I know some very smart STPs but not a single intelligent SFP.

Jaguar

I've posted type-IQ studies several times, so I don't particularly feel inclined to re-post them. Look for them in my post history. Anyway, the evidence I've seen is that MBTI type is correlated to intelligence in a discrete pattern as follows: INTJ, INTP, INFJ, INFP, ENTJ, ENTP, ENFJ, ENFP, ISTJ, ESTJ, ISFJ, ESFJ, ISTP, ESTP, ISFP, ESFP. So far, my own experience bears out this pattern, although interestingly enough I know some very smart STPs but not a single intelligent SFP.

Are you SFP?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

The thing about those surveys is that probably the smart Ss scored as NTs and NFs on the test that was given them based on how a lot of the questionnaires are worded.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Intelligence means nothing if you're just gonna sit around and pick your nose.

Last edited:

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are you SFP?
No.

The thing about those surveys is that probably the smart Ss scored as NTs and NFs on the test that was given them based on how a lot of the questionnaires are worded.
A Sensor will probably still score as a Sensor if he's smart, given that smart Sensors do exist (Mostly SJs). I myself know two ESTPs with IQs of 121 and 146 respectively. Ns being smarter than Ss actually makes perfect sense however, given that strong Sensors by definition either lack the capacity for conceptual thinking or prefer not to use it. The ones that do tend to have strong Ne or Ni (The aforementioned ESTP genius is probably Ne-inferior given he becomes a master bullshitter under pressure).

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Intelligence means nothing if you're just gonna sit around and pick your nose.
Of course, but willingness to act doesn't count for much if you lack the mental capacity for it. You'll never see an engineer with an IQ of 90 walking around. ;)

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A Sensor will probably still score as a Sensor if he's smart, given that smart Sensors do exist (Mostly SJs). I myself know two ESTPs with IQs of 121 and 146 respectively. Ns being smarter than Ss actually makes perfect sense however, given that strong Sensors by definition either lack the capacity for conceptual thinking or prefer not to use it. The ones that do tend to have strong Ne or Ni.

You basically didn't respond to my post, lol. I said... the test's layout. The questions (which are biased a lot of the time toward N = smart and S = simpleton). When I first started with type I sent my friends tests to see what their types were. Most of the sensors scored as Ns because of how the questions were worded and/or what they were asked (their justification for the answer was very S too, was funny).

Your understanding of type seems to be very stereotypical and you seem to be very, very biased against sensors. So it's no wonder you'd take any opportunity to flame them you got. It wouldn't surprise me if you mistyped some of your "intuitive" friends just because they were actually smart sensors.

(The aforementioned ESTP genius is probably Ne-inferior given he becomes a master bullshitter under pressure).

:doh::doh::doh:

I'm waiting for the flame fest, you telling me I'm on crack, etc. Come on, do it.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You basically didn't respond to my post, lol.
Alright, here's my response: Bullshit. Proof? People who are intelligent but detail-oriented still score as Sensing in MBTI tests, because they are sensors. Being intelligent does not turn them into people who prefer abstraction over concrete details, because otherwise they'd be intuitors.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Of course, but willingness to act doesn't count for much if you lack the mental capacity for it. You'll never see an engineer with an IQ of 90 walking around. ;)
I don't know, I just really think that with determination, anyone can be anything they want to be. I think that a high IQ may help, but I don't believe it's the end all.

Isn't it possible to gain a higher IQ if you work at it? Or am I wrong?

Unless you invent a high-tech machine to pick your nose that revolutionizes the habit altogether. Then you're in business!

Drat, you found a flaw in my semi, not really, thought out argument. :dry:

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know, I just really think that with determination, anyone can be anything they want to be. I think that a high IQ may help, but I don't believe it's the end all.
it's not the end all, but it's pretty important. A person with an IQ of 80 will probably be able to become some sort of technician if they work really, really hard at it, but they'll never be an engineer or an analyst or what have you. conversely someone with an average IQ can work really hard and become a teacher, or maybe an engineer.

Isn't it possible to gain a higher IQ if you work at it? Or am I wrong?
Yeah, but the effect is pretty limited (4 points or so). The biggest factor affecting intelligence is nutrition, but even eating healthy and hearty you're unlikely to gain more than 8 IQ points or so.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

Exactly. You can probably teach anyone (with a normal range IQ) anything, but it might take a long time and they would really have to apply themselves.

IQ is the supply and demand of brains. The supply of people good at the things tested in IQ tests is lower so they seem more important. Anything rare is equated with more value, it doesn't make it intrisically of more value.

G

Ginkgo

Alright, here's my response: Bullshit. Proof? People who are intelligent but detail-oriented still score as Sensing in MBTI tests, because they are sensors. Being intelligent does not turn them into people who prefer abstraction over concrete details, because otherwise they'd be intuitors.

What constitutes intelligence is largely debatable, as it is not linear, but multifaceted. We've had this discussion before, and if you want to read the conclusions then go here:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/popular-culture-type/29006-intj-intelligent-myth.html

or

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/popular-culture-type/3711-esfp-stupid-myth.html

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree. Sensors are probably more likely to have kinesthetic (or linguistic in the case of Si-heavy SJs) intelligence whereas Intuitors are more likely to have visual-spatial or logical intelligence. Nevertheless the evidence bears out INTJs being almost universally smart, and ESFPs being almost universally... not.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I agree. Sensors are probably more likely to have kinesthetic (or linguistic in the case of Si-heavy SJs) intelligence whereas Intuitors are more likely to have visual-spatial or logical intelligence. Nevertheless the evidence bears out INTJs being almost universally smart, and ESFPs being almost universally... not.

You are not being unreasonable here, but please for the love of God, no more threads about which types are usually most intelligent. :cry:

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
INFPs not only can have high IQs (Every type can, except maybe ESFPs), but they are very likely to. INFP has the fourth-highest statistical IQ average of MBTI types, after INTJ, INTP and INFJ.

Cite your sources.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Bullshit. Proof? People who are intelligent but detail-oriented still score as Sensing in MBTI tests, because they are sensors.

Well you have a really single minded way of looking at things. I'm going to repeat myself again, I think that sensors who are intelligent score as N's on tests because of the way tests are laid out. Because the makers may think that N = intelligent and S = simpleton. So the non simpleton S's would score as Ns. You seem to think that all tests are flawless and score every S as an S and every N as an N.

And I ask you this-

Bullshit. Proof? People who are intelligent but detail-oriented still score as Sensing in MBTI tests, because they are sensors.

Why?