User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default Typing hubby who refuses to take MBTI test

My DH refuses to take the MBTI so I'll never know for sure what type he is. I've thought of him as an ISTJ and an INTJ but I'm really not sure. I was wondering if the kind members here could help me out:

~He's very good at striking up conversations with people and has no issue talking to random strangers but at the same time he only has two close friends and often spends a lot time alone both at home and at work.

~He reads often, mostly non-fiction about Religion and Politics.

~In some ways, he is very traditional. We're Muslim and he is not very fond of other Muslims that he feels break away from tradition too much (i.e. mixed gender prayers, women being imams, etc.) yet in many ways he is also against blindly following tradition. He has been criticized by other Muslims for having views that go against traditional Muslim scholarship.

~He loves sci-fi and is a fan of Star Trek, Babylon 5, Stargate, etc.

~He's not very affectionate. He hates when I hold his hand in public and often accuses me of being "mushy".

~He's extremely frugal and a much better saver than I am.

~He has a much easier time to seeing two viewpoints than I do. When I get really emotionally invested in an issue, he is usually the one that helps me to see the other sides. He can remain grounded.

~He is much more positive than I am. In fact, he complains that I am too negative sometimes.

MBTI
    INFP

Could go either way from what you wrote, but looking at your type I'd say the chances are extremely high that he's an ISTJ. The unorthodox views and sci-fi enjoyment gave me slight pause though. Counterbalancing that is my firm and unsubstantiated conviction that an INTJ would've been interested in doing the test.

MBTI
    ISTx

I agree, it could go either way. Typically, Sci-Fi lovers seem to be N's it seems... From what I've observed, at least.

I'm an ISTJ, but I definitely have no problem going against the grain (referring to the religion bit for your husband, but being applicable to myself in plenty of areas). I've been told I have a decently developed N side though...

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I don't really see a clear indication of S vs N, but I_TJ definitely. Maybe INTJ, seeing things from other perspectives is often related to Ni.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

First guess INTJ, second guess INFJ. The ability to see numerous perspectives at once is very suggestive of Ni as a dominant function.

By the way, you don't really need him to take an MBTI test. The tests don't really "prove" anything; please don't mistake typology for science (it's actually just philosophy.) The best the test would do is point you in the right direction for studying these ideas and trying to determine which fits him best...try to remember that many, many people get test results that are inconsistent with how they really are because the test only explains how you see yourself, not how you actually are.

That's the problem inherent with self-report evaluations.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    meh

Seems like an INTJ to me.

MBTI
    INFP

Thanks for the feedback. The more I reflect, the more I lean towards INTJ. I read the INTJ profile to him and he could relate, especially with being perceived as arrogant (some people have said that he is arrogant although he is not). He saw this thread and decided that since I was curious enough about his type to ask a complete group of strangers about it, that he would take the test. He has yet to take it but we'll see what happens.

brainheart

I don't know. My dad's an ISTJ and he seems a lot like him. His beliefs can be unorthodox, the thing is they have to follow his train of thought that they are the 'proper' way. SJs can like sci fi, for sure. In a lot of ways sci fi, especially something like Star Trek, isn't much different than a Western. There are problems that need to be dealt with by the group and the solution is usually pretty traditional and conservative. For that reason I lean toward ISTJ, also because of what JJJ said about him not wanting to take the test.

My dad's plenty arrogant, by the way.

I'd hazard ISTx, too...

Doesn't matter if he won't take the test. If you learn the functions, you can peg him yourself from what you know of him, and you're in a good position to do that
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I too see ISTJ's who are heavy into science fiction. Particularly when they are in their prime and later, and Ne develops. They are then fascinated by the ideas of what could be out in space, and that's how they take it. And then it just goes with their Thinking preference in general as well. My father was one like this.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas