My uncle puzzles me a bit. My first instinct says INTP, but a few things make me question it and consider INTJ or even ISTJ.
So here we go....
- He's in his 50s, never married, and is extremely picky about the women he dates. He has what I call "Seinfeld syndrome" in that he manages to find something incredibly trivial to write them off with ("her name is weird" ). Also gets paranoid when my SFJ family members go into hysterics over the idea of him getting married. They start planning the wedding, and he starts thinking of reasons to break it off.
- He took his time in college. Traveled around the world, changed his major several times, and finally settled on becoming a teacher. He also has some minor in something math/science related. He teaches middle school math and science. Parents like him because he's firm with unruly students - he garners a lot of respect.
- He's religious and has pretty conservative values now, but he was mostly apathetic in his 20s towards religion.
- Not family-oriented. Goes months without calling anyone in his family. Seems to see his few close friends somewhat regularly. Lives alone and likes it that way. Is regarded by most as "quiet".
- Good with kids. Used to do funny stuff like dress my sister and me up as pirates when we were kids, just because.
- Sports obsessed, which suggests ISTJ to me. Watches any and all sports, and plays quite a few. My ISTJ grandpa kind of passed this onto him though.
- Likes music a lot. Surprisingly likes a lot of romantic lyrics, especially 80s new wave / alternative (which can be pretty touchy-feely).
- Supposedly wrote a rather romantic poem that won an award, which surprised everyone - not generally seen as a sentimental guy. (Writing poetry makes me want to rule out ISTJ)
- Read an entire set of encyclopedias as a teen - for fun.
- Let it slip once that he thinks most women are "emotional basket-cases". Doesn't understand why women cry over "everything".
- Loves Monty Python; also Star Wars and Star Trek and other nerdy stuff.
- Is mostly unemotional. Refuses to talk about his father's death, and blocks it out to deal with it. Seems "pleasant" most of the time, although not warm. Can be very grouchy/irritable when he wants to be alone.
- Impatient with slow-moving and slow-thinking people. Can be pretty selfish, especially with food.
- He is very logical and book smart, and has a lot of random knowledge. I've heard him gives speeches, and he seems very conversational and "human" though, and he uses a significant amount of metaphor.
- Says that when solving a math problem, he sees images of numbers in his head and is drawn to the answer. This sounds like some sort of mystical Ni thing, which is why I've considered INTJ.
- My SFJ family members call him a know-it-all behind his back and say he lacks common sense. I think that's very harsh, but then I am an INFP, aaaand...
- My family says I am a lot like him, except I'm more "temperamental", which makes me think he is INTP.