123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Default Type my uncle - INTP, IxTJ???

My uncle puzzles me a bit. My first instinct says INTP, but a few things make me question it and consider INTJ or even ISTJ.

So here we go....

- He's in his 50s, never married, and is extremely picky about the women he dates. He has what I call "Seinfeld syndrome" in that he manages to find something incredibly trivial to write them off with ("her name is weird" ). Also gets paranoid when my SFJ family members go into hysterics over the idea of him getting married. They start planning the wedding, and he starts thinking of reasons to break it off.

- He took his time in college. Traveled around the world, changed his major several times, and finally settled on becoming a teacher. He also has some minor in something math/science related. He teaches middle school math and science. Parents like him because he's firm with unruly students - he garners a lot of respect.

- He's religious and has pretty conservative values now, but he was mostly apathetic in his 20s towards religion.

- Not family-oriented. Goes months without calling anyone in his family. Seems to see his few close friends somewhat regularly. Lives alone and likes it that way. Is regarded by most as "quiet".

- Good with kids. Used to do funny stuff like dress my sister and me up as pirates when we were kids, just because.

- Sports obsessed, which suggests ISTJ to me. Watches any and all sports, and plays quite a few. My ISTJ grandpa kind of passed this onto him though.

- Likes music a lot. Surprisingly likes a lot of romantic lyrics, especially 80s new wave / alternative (which can be pretty touchy-feely).

- Supposedly wrote a rather romantic poem that won an award, which surprised everyone - not generally seen as a sentimental guy. (Writing poetry makes me want to rule out ISTJ)

- Read an entire set of encyclopedias as a teen - for fun.

- Let it slip once that he thinks most women are "emotional basket-cases". Doesn't understand why women cry over "everything".

- Loves Monty Python; also Star Wars and Star Trek and other nerdy stuff.

- Is mostly unemotional. Refuses to talk about his father's death, and blocks it out to deal with it. Seems "pleasant" most of the time, although not warm. Can be very grouchy/irritable when he wants to be alone.

- Impatient with slow-moving and slow-thinking people. Can be pretty selfish, especially with food.

- He is very logical and book smart, and has a lot of random knowledge. I've heard him gives speeches, and he seems very conversational and "human" though, and he uses a significant amount of metaphor.

- Says that when solving a math problem, he sees images of numbers in his head and is drawn to the answer. This sounds like some sort of mystical Ni thing, which is why I've considered INTJ.

- My SFJ family members call him a know-it-all behind his back and say he lacks common sense. I think that's very harsh, but then I am an INFP, aaaand...

- My family says I am a lot like him, except I'm more "temperamental", which makes me think he is INTP.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

BUMP!
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INTP

Sounds INTP to me.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    which makes me think he is INTP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Sounds INTP to me.
    From only your description, certain as I can be, this man is an INTP.

(and a much better poet than I, apparently )
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ?

The encyclopedias thing sounds STJish - kinda like Rain Man and his phone book. Really the only thing in this that would make me believe INTP over ISTJ is the love of sci-fi flicks. Hey, there's a reason some stereotypes exist...

MBTI
    INTP

I totally read encyclopedias growing up. I'd start looking something up, and, and then I'd get sidetracked and before I knew it, I'd read most of the volume. It's an intellectual curiosity thing. Don't know why that would be SJ-ish.
    Something Witty

Based on the fact that you pretty much described me, I say INTJ.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I totally read encyclopedias growing up. I'd start looking something up, and, and then I'd get sidetracked and before I knew it, I'd read most of the volume. It's an intellectual curiosity thing. Don't know why that would be SJ-ish.
    It's internalizing facts and information. I always pored over encyclopedias, trivial pursuit cards, records books, marketing books filled with demographic information, newspapers, biographies, history books, any kind of books with lists and facts. I've been out of college for over 6 years, and I still buy college guides just to read. I don't have any children, but I own about a dozen baby names books because I love reading about the names. I think being drawn to reference books is very much in keeping with any knowledge-seeking Si-dom.

Like I said, Rain Man with the phone book...

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthie View Post
    It's internalizing facts and information. I always pored over encyclopedias, trivial pursuit cards, records books, marketing books filled with demographic information, newspapers, biographies, history books, any kind of books with lists and facts. I've been out of college for over 6 years, and I still buy college guides just to read. I don't have any children, but I own about a dozen baby names books because I love reading about the names. I think being drawn to reference books is very much in keeping with any knowledge-seeking Si-dom.

Like I said, Rain Man with the phone book...
    Gotcha.

So basically, what we have so far is two INTPs, an INTJ, and an ISTJ all claiming him because we identify. We are not much help.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    CAT

Hmmm... From what you described, the only type I'd rule out is ISTJ. I don't think that reading encyclopedias is limited to a Si dominant type (even though it's true that ISTJs like collecting random knowledge), and neither is obsession with sports (I don't know enough INTPs to comment on them, but I've met quite a few sports-loving INTJs). Most of the things suggest to me an N type (more comfortable in his head). But otherwise, I'm not sure if it's possible to pick either INTP or INTJ from the information you've given; they are mostly personal characteristics, not type characteristics, and they could point to both. I guess you have to decide if he's more Ti Ne or Ni Te; you probably have to find out if his manner of thinking is rather 'free' or 'ordered', if he always sees more 'right' options or only one.