Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by incubustribute View Post
    I'm pretty sure your whole personality type doesn't really become evident or conclusive until late teens/early 20's. I could be wrong though, and obviously there's exceptions to this, but what I think happens is that they tend to develop their dominant function, whatever that is, and the rest comes later to balance them out. My sister is 12, and I mean, I can tell you she's got LOTS of Fe, but other than that, not really sure. My brother is 17 and even he's a mystery to me. It's really difficult to tell until the person matures and experiences more of, well, life. Anyway, at that age I would say you might benefit from trying to figure out the dominant, but to go much further is almost like trying to start a little league baseball player out with weight training. It might actually impede their development if they have to worry about stuff like, "Oh jeez, I have a TYPE??!?!" before they're much more self aware.

Feel free to disagree though, this is just my opinion/theory on the matter.

I think that type is mostly formed by high school, maybe off by one letter. I can look back at my teens and see STRONG roots of my adult personality, and those of people whove I've known since then. I'm really not surprised at all by the adult personalities of the vast majority of people I went to high school with. There are maybe one or two who surprised me, and then I can connect that to bad circumstances during their adolescence which were improved as they went out on their own.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Yeah, even in middle school I read a lot and definitely lived in kind of a romanticized fantasy world. I'm not saying that all INFPs are necesarily avid readers, but saying that someone in their early teens won't read a book that doesn't have pictures is an awfully strong statement.

It's other things, too, that to me just made her seem like a very young SP...not just the reading part.
    Her reading problems are strange to me, a person who was reading Dean Koontz in Kindergarten. Maybe SP, yeah. Now, I think about it, she doesn't seem as J. ISFP, maybe?
    "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." -Francis Bacon

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." -George Chakiris

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by PoprocksAndCoke View Post
    That'd be cool. I would've tried to be a ENTP. They're so awesome.
    Haha I agree ENTP's are awesome, UNLESS they're trying to teach a college class. Their Ne takes simple concepts and makes them waaaaay more complicated than they need to be. They also tend to digress...which is ok, but after an hour, you know...a digression becomes confusing.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I think that type is mostly formed by high school, maybe off by one letter. I can look back at my teens and see STRONG roots of my adult personality, and those of people whove I've known since then. I'm really not surprised at all by the adult personalities of the vast majority of people I went to high school with. There are maybe one or two who surprised me, and then I can connect that to bad circumstances during their adolescence which were improved as they went out on their own.
    Late high school perhaps. It tends to come out more when you're forced into a situation where you HAVE to get something done. All I'm saying is that earlier on in life, most of us didn't learn how to use our supporting functions (auxiliary, and to some extent tertiary) to aid the needs of the primary. So, what often happens is you get a strong dominant without the buffer of the secondary. Like, for instance, Ne without the internal filter of Fi or Ti. Lots of imagination, not a lot of restraint or subtlety. Hell, I see that in a lot of college friends of mine haha.

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by incubustribute View Post
    Late high school perhaps. It tends to come out more when you're forced into a situation where you HAVE to get something done. All I'm saying is that earlier on in life, most of us didn't learn how to use our supporting functions (auxiliary, and to some extent tertiary) to aid the needs of the primary. So, what often happens is you get a strong dominant without the buffer of the secondary. Like, for instance, Ne without the internal filter of Fi or Ti. Lots of imagination, not a lot of restraint or subtlety. Hell, I see that in a lot of college friends of mine haha.
    I've been a full-on INFP since day one, in all honesty. I only started behaving differently the last few years. I think it has to do with that whole tertiary Si business. Anyway...

I agree with most that she sounds like an ISFP, possibly an ESFP because she reminds me a lot of my husband. Does she always want to be doing something/ have a hard time sitting still? I guess I'm having a hard time seeing I vs E in this description. When my husband is down he calls himself stupid and he gets through maybe one book a year. Generally he reads skateboard magazines, which means he looks at the pictures and occasionally reads something. I've wondered about a reading disability with him, too. He slurs his words a lot of the time when he reads aloud to our kids and often falls asleep. But I don't know how much of that is disability and how much of this is dominant Se. If he's not moving or engaged in solving a problem it's like his brain automatically shuts down, like a cat snoozing between the action.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    I've been a full-on INFP since day one, in all honesty. I only started behaving differently the last few years. I think it has to do with that whole tertiary Si business. Anyway...

I agree with most that she sounds like an ISFP, possibly an ESFP because she reminds me a lot of my husband. Does she always want to be doing something/ have a hard time sitting still? I guess I'm having a hard time seeing I vs E in this description. When my husband is down he calls himself stupid and he gets through maybe one book a year. Generally he reads skateboard magazines, which means he looks at the pictures and occasionally reads something. I've wondered about a reading disability with him, too. He slurs his words a lot of the time when he reads aloud to our kids and often falls asleep. But I don't know how much of that is disability and how much of this is dominant Se. If he's not moving or engaged in solving a problem it's like his brain automatically shuts down, like a cat snoozing between the action.
    I say I because she's not shy but she doesn't enjoy socializing, is reserved, only likes to have a small circle of friends, all that. She still has a little young kid extrovertedness going on, but I have a feeling that'll be gone in a couple years.
    "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." -Francis Bacon

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." -George Chakiris

brainheart

Well, if you're convinced she's an introvert, I'll go with ISFP. But sometimes it's hard to tell. My husband can seem introverted because he hates small talk, he won't just go up and start talking to people, etc, but he always has to be doing something- he definitely lives more in the world than in his head. In my opinion, that's the big difference between introvert and extrovert, not whether you like being with lots of people or not.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    Well, if you're convinced she's an introvert, I'll go with ISFP. But sometimes it's hard to tell. My husband can seem introverted because he hates small talk, he won't just go up and start talking to people, etc, but he always has to be doing something- he definitely lives more in the world than in his head. In my opinion, that's the big difference between introvert and extrovert, not whether you like being with lots of people or not.
    Yes, I know that's the big difference.
    As an extrovert that seems introverted, I know what you mean.
    But it's harder to explain how you know that someone lives in their head or in the world. I never said the big difference was whether you like being around people or not. My friend loves small talk, but she lives in her head. I specifically said she's not shy. If I thought the difference was whether you like being around people or not, based on that I would've called her an extrovert.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

I see no reason to doubt the INFP typing. Take what these other people say with a grain of salt. I'll let you on a little secret, they're all idiots
    INTP | IEI - INFp

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrant View Post
    I see no reason to doubt the INFP typing. Take what these other people say with a grain of salt. I'll let you on a little secret, they're all idiots

Seriously though, what about any of my posts (Fe is taking it personally) gave you that inclination? :confused: