• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I figured I was an INTP, but maybe not

skyler

MBTI Type
INTP
Some recent software said I was INTP. Its verdict 100% I, 80% N, 71% T, 52% P. Of course the software may be completely off. I've taken the real MBTI in college and it was similar though. The usual wrinkle when I take it is that I might come out INTJ instead (though I've had the F come up maybe once or twice). I think the Introverted and Intuition are always constant, though.

So instead of second guessing I'll just describe myself and let you all say if you think I'm INTP.

The fact that I'm introverted isn't much of a question. I really don't like hanging out with big groups of people for a long time. I'm very comfortable with small groups of friends that I know well, but I hate the idea of going to a party where I don't know anyone there and make shallow conversation with 100 different people all night. It's exhausting.

Hmm. Interests and hobbies.

I always loved music though I was never that talented at playing it, I guess lack of discipline. I was in some bands playing keyboards for fun and my philosophy was that it was better to do something interesting or moody than to be super technically skilled. I always thought playing scales or hammer-ons at a million miles an hour was useless, show-off, and showed lack of imagination.

I'm good with computers though I am honestly a little bored with them at this point. It was once magical to make them do my bidding, but I don't have the obsession I've seen in lots of programmers to rewrite all my code in the language of the month or optimize my code to death just to prove something.

I find theoretical and science-y stuff fascinating since I want to know why things work. I always wanted to take stuff apart as a kid and see how it worked. I like to see how things relate to each other and get some big picture.

In problem solving, I like to get a pretty good amount of information about the problem and let it sit for a while and do something else. Usually the solution will just pop out at me later if I mull it over and put it on the back burner. Of course I can use more methodical ways if I have to.

I have a lot of feeling for people I'm around, but I'd never tell them that. ;-) I don't talk about feelings that well and I hate having to talk about myself and do self-promotion. Shoot me now.

People either tend to judge me as nice guy (probably since I'm quiet) and then laugh nervously when I say something ironic. Sometimes people think I'm aloof, other times they might think I'm zen. Sometimes I give too much information as I'm probably doing here. ;-)

When I plan I want a general idea of what's going on, but I hate the plan where every minute is planned out and scheduled. I like some organization so it's not just a waste of time, but it's good to switch things up if there is something better.

Oh, yeah, a lot of my friends are somewhat opposites of me. Often they're the kind of people who are goofy and fun-loving. I like eccentric people as long as they're not crazy, nasty, rude or mean. I want to make my life better but I'm not insanely driven and don't care much about power. I tend to procrastinate a lot if something isn't urgent.

Yeah, I feel like people pretty much misunderstand and misinterpret me all the time, but I've gotten kind of used to it.

I've probably given enough incriminating evidence by now.

What do you think? INTP?

skyler

MBTI Type
INTP
Ok, so looking at the order of the preferences, I feel like perhaps INTJ really fits me better of INTP vs. INTJ since I think my Ni is stronger than my Ti. Also, my sense of feeling seems higher than last place and I can be traditional in certain ways but not many others, and I really hate conflict.

Or possibly INFP, but I don't think I'm really sure Fi is my very strongest trait or my intuition is so much of the extroverted kind.

I'm thinking maybe INTJ based on the order and intraversion/extroversion that go along with the order, but the INTP general description sort of fits me better. The bits about organizing and natural leader doesn't really make that much sense about me in the INTJ.

Too bad I can't shuffle the characteristics in more non-traditional order.

Last edited:

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Have you read INTJ type descriptions? Don't go by the testresults, they merely show you where to look. (I often get an INTJ-result, but to me it obvious that I am not)

Hard as it is to judge someone by a description like the one you gave, I would still type you as INTP based on the curiousity, the want to understand without the need to change.

For what it's worth...

skyler

MBTI Type
INTP

Thanks for pointing me to the guide. It's very helpful and I think INTP is a better match for me. The fact that people may be more aware of their auxiliary function may explain some of the confusion.

Also there are some anomalies in my personality. My mother said as a child I had two states 1) very sweet and loving or 2) angry child tantrum child. When I was good, I was very, very good, but when I was bad I was a nightmare. Maybe it's just I didn't know how to express emotions in a balanced way, so maybe that points towards INTP, also.

Anyway, it seems I'm most likely INTP.