User Tag List

123 Last

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Default I'm getting old and constantly changing... INTJ or INTP

I scored INTP back in 2005, but I feel as though I have changed a lot in the past four years. I continue to score INTP on MBTI tests, but I am beginning to wonder: "does this fit my profile?". My list:

*I cannot think or sleep if my room is dirty. Everything must be neat, tidy, and in the correct spot. I rarely hang things on the wall because I think it "clutters" everything.

ex: my room

*My desktop is completely empty, again, because I hate clutter.
    *I start my homework assignments a week or two before it's due. I revise, revise, and revise until it's "perfect". I'm usually done with my work several days before it's due date. Starting projects on its due date makes me feel uncomfortable.
    *I'm a perfectionist
    *I'm always at least 15-30 minutes early to my appointments, just in case.
    *I write all my appointments onto a calender (even if it's hanging out with friends)
    *Before when I scored INTP, I was unmedicated (bipolar) which may explain the P.
    *When I have a certain goal I work towards it regardless of what's happening around me (this maybe unrelated)
    *I only research to better understand things
    *I like things to be simple and unproblematic. I'm happiest in a calm, happy, and stable environment. Sometimes change puts me into a panic attack. Change is OK, but only if it's gradual.
    *Everything is about cause and effect
    *I have countless systems that I must follow

That's all I have for now
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

I'm a J and my desk is a ridiculously cluttered mess. I mean really, it's crazy. I've got my laptop on top of a pile of boards, papers...there's CD cases and used waterbottles, it's a wreck. Same with my closet (though I keep anything that wrinkles hanging). I often start my projects the night before they're due.

Anyway my point is that some stuff really doesn't mean anything. I'm actually very strongly expressed J.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

brainheart

Funny, because how I deal with my bipolar is by not being anal about cleanliness. I used to be much more of an anal OCD sort of neat-freak (sporadically, to be sure) prior to medication. Now it's like... eh... it is what it is...

So I guess I can't imagine you being an INTP is what I'm saying. If the medication is working... otherwise are you maybe hypomanic at the moment?

Just throwing that out there... Or do you feel stable?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Most of it accurately describes me, and as far as I see, it doesn't have much to do with what being INTJ or INTP is really about.

However, I don't know how you mean it. A cognitive INTJ and a temperamental INTJ are defined by entirely different things, and I don't know which you are getting it. If the things you described have relevance, they sound more like they'd be relevant to temperament theory.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    Funny, because how I deal with my bipolar is by not being anal about cleanliness. I used to be much more of an anal OCD sort of neat-freak (sporadically, to be sure) prior to medication. Now it's like... eh... it is what it is...

So I guess I can't imagine you being an INTP is what I'm saying. If the medication is working... otherwise are you maybe hypomanic at the moment?

Just throwing that out there... Or do you feel stable?
    The first time in a very long time I feel stable. And this whole cleanliness is pretty new to me. I mean, there were times when I was probably "normal" (which typically last a week or two) and I would start reorganizing things, etc. but it never lasted long before I relapsed. I'm pretty sure that I'm stable; I think the racing thoughts was the cause of my absentmindedness and the reason why I was so disorganized. Nah, I'm on risperidone, no hypomania for me.

Basically, my personality is completely different and I'm not sure if I'm still an INTP. Even before medication I would score: INTJ, ENTP, ISTP, ISTJ depending on the day. It's really hard to type yourself when you're going through... you know~ mania made me an ENTP, that's for sure.
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

You're pointing more to INTJ from what you've listed. Of course, I'd try to decide based on function preference if I were you.

That aside, this change happened to me too. When I was about 18-20, I tested INTP and acted INTP for all intents and purposes. Over the years, my function order changed, and my dominant was the most obvious of said changes. Now at 24, I find myself pretty clearly INTJ. *shrug*
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

Cleanliness isn't neccessarilly an extraverted thinking attribute, it can easily be linked to introverted sensation, which INTPs have in the tertiary position.

I wrote a guide about the differences between INTPs and INTJs, Give it a read.

Just a couple of questions to ask yourself:

1. How easily do you make decisions, typically? Do you find it easier to make decisions when under stress, or harder? INTJs tend to find it very easy to make decisions, and when put under stress they tend to make decisions very quickly, albeit in a more infantile and dismissive fashion. INTPs are the opposite; they tend to freeze up when under a large amount of stress, which typically happens in situations they're not accustomed to. In these situations an INTP might resort to taking small baby-steps to deal with the problem, or just withdraw entierly in fear of tripping himself up. INTJs are far, far more self-confident, sometimes to the point of obliviousness (although they wouldn't argue that ).

1. When you communicate with others, do you find yourself being informative or directive? e.g. if you're in the passenger seat in a car and the traffic light turns green, would you tell the driver something like "it's green", or "go!". An INTP is more likely to be informative, and tell the driver "the light's green, man!". INTJs are more likely to be directive and just say "start driving, you dumb bastard!"

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Do you have OCD or something? Because that doesn't really mean you're a J. I know an INTP, and she's OCD and everything has to be clean and organized for her.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

1. How easily do you make decisions, typically? Do you find it easier to make decisions when under stress, or harder? INTJs tend to find it very easy to make decisions, and when put under stress they tend to make decisions very quickly, albeit in a more infantile and dismissive fashion. INTPs are the opposite; they tend to freeze up when under a large amount of stress, which typically happens in situations they're not accustomed to. In these situations an INTP might resort to taking small baby-steps to deal with the problem, or just withdraw entierly in fear of tripping himself up. INTJs are far, far more self-confident, sometimes to the point of obliviousness (although they wouldn't argue that ).
    It depends on the situation. About 50/50

1. When you communicate with others, do you find yourself being informative or directive? e.g. if you're in the passenger seat in a car and the traffic light turns green, would you tell the driver something like "it's green", or "go!". An INTP is more likely to be informative, and tell the driver "the light's green, man!". INTJs are more likely to be directive and just say "start driving, you dumb bastard!"
    I usually say "go".

Do you have OCD or something? Because that doesn't really mean you're a J. I know an INTP, and she's OCD and everything has to be clean and organized for her.
    Nah, I don't have OCD. I just cannot focus when there is a lot going on around me. I suck at multitasking--I just need to do one thing at a time.

Read my Blog.