User Tag List

12 Last

Default how do you know your friend's types?

Do you just guess or do you get them to take the test? I feel kind of annoying if I ask everyone I know to take the test, although some of them have willingly done the test after I explained to them and gave them a short version of it.
    E(66%) N (70%) F(63%) P (71%)
    Enneagram: 7w2, sx/so/sp
    Global 5: SLUAI

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I read this

Allows me to read a personality type of someone within 30 seconds of meeting him/her.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Everyone wants the "Sy Seal of Approval", so they take the test lest they be shun.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

I only have a couple of people I would call friends. I know their types because I asked them to take the test (it makes a nice subject for conversation). One of them is an INFP, and the other is an INTP, albeit an unusual one: his functions are exactly like an INTP's, but he acts more like an unhealthy INFJ. I think it's partly because he's a type 3, which is extremely rare for INTPs. Of course, he might also be an ENTP--I'm not sure how close his Ti and Ne are.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

MBTI
    ESFJ

I usually guess but i always struggle with the N/S.

I guessed 2 friends were ESTP and they turned out ENTP and ENTJ.
    I thought my mum was ESTP .. She tested ESFJ.

Really though, i think it is rather irrelevant. These people are my friends and we are friends based on our experiences and on how well we connect .. Type doesn't really need to be brought into it .. We'll still be friends regardless
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Phantonym

I've let people take the test...or...hm...pestered them long enough so that they've caved in and taken the test. That is with the people I'm closer to. With others it's all about observation, comparison, gut feeling and guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    Really though, i think it is rather irrelevant. These people are my friends and we are friends based on our experiences and on how well we connect .. Type doesn't really need to be brought into it .. We'll still be friends regardless
    +1

Typing friends and acquaintances is only for my own personal amusement.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Typing friends and acquaintances is only for my own personal amusement.
    This.

I type people by getting a feel for the types. Certain people have a certain impact on me, and I can tell based on that. Also I look for function use, etc.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    I read this
    https://shop.personalitytype.com/med...O/AOSRP_1.jpeg

Allows me to read a personality type of someone within 30 seconds of meeting him/her.
    Seriously?

I should get this book, if thats even near the truth.

@op

I examine how they think based on how they act and then see what functions they use and how they use them and then i know what type they are.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Kyi View Post
    Do you just guess or do you get them to take the test? I feel kind of annoying if I ask everyone I know to take the test, although some of them have willingly done the test after I explained to them and gave them a short version of it.
    When I was new to MBTI I managed to get a few friends to take a test...but now I feel like such a gadfly trying to get them to take one, so now I primarily guess...I can usually figure it out after a while. I of course have no way of being sure how accurate my guesses are, but it doesn't really change how we interact either way.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I make a mental list of their traits, which paints an overall picture that I compare to the MBTI profiles. That usually narrows it down to a few types. Then I consider functions.

If a person is particularly hard, I write the traits down, which somehow clarifies it further. Then I take it to a forum and ask for opinions, if I still need help. If I'm not close to someone, I am often content to just figure out their temperament. I find tests to be unreliable (I mean, they often type me incorrectly...), especially that stupid facebook one.

And yes, this is just for fun, but it also sheds light on our interactions and gives me ideas on how to improve communication and stuff like that. I also start to spot trends in types, and that further increases my understanding of that type and how its functions work. You get better at it with practice, basically.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe