• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type my friend: ISFJ or INFJ?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm inclined to think ISFJ too - what makes me lean this way is the mention, in a few places, of bringing things back and applying them to people she knows. Discussing what she has learnt in terms of how it relates to people she knows, discussing what people she knows are doing, and so forth. 'Very people oriented conversation'.

I know that this may be associated with F generally, but in my experience with NFs, their people oriented conversations tends to take place at a more theoretical level. It's...like sociology and psychology, more than about individual people. And when it is about individual people, it's still taking place in a theoretical framework.

Fi also relates new information back to self. INFPs are actually known for their ability to take abstract or theoretical information (secondary Ne) and relate it to others in more practical, every-day terms (tertiary Si) and this might be because of the Fi dominant tendency to relate information back to self.

But I don't think this woman is an INFP. I'm certain she's an IxFJ.

I'm just saying...

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think she is an INFJ because you mentioned that she is very concerned with world affairs and social injustice as opposed to being more actively focused on simply making a difference in her own community - in my experience Si is more concerned with their own town and neighborhood. Yes, I realize that she wants to do something hands-on like nursing, but if she also has all this energy for theorizing about fixing the world on a global scale, that sounds much more like an N trait to me.

She seems to be idealistic, too, like an NF.

I know an INFJ who likes gardening, so that particular hobby doesn't necessarily make her an S.

Then again, I assumed she was an American who likes British films, so I tend to stereotype that as an N thing. Maybe not.

So you type people based on hobbies? And I don't think that wanting to effect the world on a global scale is an N trait....

I can see it now. "Ns like British films?"

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think she is an INFJ because you mentioned that she is very concerned with world affairs and social injustice as opposed to being more actively focused on simply making a difference in her own community - in my experience Si is more concerned with their own town and neighborhood. Yes, I realize that she wants to do something hands-on like nursing, but if she also has all this energy for theorizing about fixing the world on a global scale, that sounds much more like an N trait to me.

Using your hobby comment of sensory hobbies not automatically equating to a sensor type (which I 100% agree), I'd say in a similar vein that having a broad world perspective does not necessarily equate to N, either, and I'd imagine many sensors out there do in fact care about and pay attention to world issues, and would like to make an impact. Especially SJ's. I tend to think it's SJ's who would dominate a lot of the more charitable/outreach organizations anyway.

Anyway, I already mentioned in my last post why I don't see much having to do with dominant Ni.

I know an INFJ who likes gardening, so that particular hobby doesn't necessarily make her an S.

Then again, I assumed she was an American who likes British films, so I tend to stereotype that as an N thing. Maybe not.

Like I said in my last post, this is why I totally disregard most hobbies - it's just taking mbti too far in my opinion.

Two Point Two

MBTI Type
INTJ
Fi also relates new information back to self. INFPs are actually known for their ability to take abstract or theoretical information (secondary Ne) and relate it to others in more practical, every-day terms (tertiary Si) and this might be because of the Fi dominant tendency to relate information back to self.

But I don't think this woman is an INFP. I'm certain she's an IxFJ.

I'm just saying...
Quite possibly, and I don't know any INFPs that I'm aware of. ENFPs, however, seem frequently to make information personal without changing it from abstract (theory alone) to concrete (theory understood through application to specific instances). That could be because N is dominant; I don't know.

Still, if the individual-application is significant enough in this person to have warranted mentioning multiple times in the first post, my guess would still be ISFJ.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Using your hobby comment of sensory hobbies not automatically equating to a sensor type (which I 100% agree), I'd say having a broad world perspective does not necessarily equate to N, either, and I'd imagine many sensors out there do in fact care about and pay attention to world issues, and would like to make an impact. Especially SJ's. I tend to think it's SJ's who would dominate a lot of the more charitable/outreach organizations anyway.

Anyway, I already mentioned in my last post why I don't see much having to do with dominant Ni.

Like I said in my last post, this is why I totally disregard most hobbies - it's just taking mbti too far in my opinion.

I honestly don't recognize personal descriptions of Ni well enough to say if I see it here or not.

JTG1984

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
The description sounds alot like me other than the religious bs. So I am going to say ISFJ. :cheese:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Quite possibly, and I don't know any INFPs that I'm aware of. ENFPs, however, seem frequently to make information personal without changing it from abstract (theory alone) to concrete (theory understood through application to specific instances). That could be because N is dominant; I don't know.

Still, if the individual-application is significant enough in this person to have warranted mentioning multiple times in the first post, my guess would still be ISFJ.

I'm a borderline iNFP and for example, I can take broad theoretical political concepts and apply them to everyday situations in more tangible terms and have convinced my ISFP ex boyfriend that he cares more about politics than he initially realized, but it was only because he kept hearing about those issues in theoretical terms than tangible ways that he just honestly didn't understand how those things impacted his real life so strongly until he heard them in different words.

I think this is also why INFPs are supposed to be good writers. I'm surprised that INFP isn't associated more with teaching elementary/middle school aged children because of this ability to make the theoretical concrete.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The description sounds alot like me other than the religious bs. So I am going to say ISFJ. :cheese:

Ah, there's several deeply religious NJs running around this forum, so think again.

JTG1984

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Ah, there's several deeply religious NJs running around this forum, so think again.

What am I thinking about? I am just saying the part about being religious does not apply to me. If I wanted to I could of left it out all together, wouldnt of made much of a difference.

SilentStream

MBTI Type
INTP
No mention of random quirks, a more spacey, idealistic nature that has more difficulty coping with the real-world (esp. in terms of career and life/relationships in general; INFJ's tend to struggle in some major ways with finding their place in this world and making sense of it), no mention of really intellectual/philosophical/abstract/scientific/psychological/sociological conversations, or anything really that pointed towards more of an INxx personality. Again, lots of IxFJ stuff (i.e. concern for society/cultural things, relationships, and human issues on a large scale), but that's where ISFJ's and INFJ's will appear similar - the secondary Fe.

I think she does have difficulty coping with the real-world in some ways. She hasn't got a job at the moment, partly I think because she couldn't cope even though her family is struggling financially, but that might be because thats kind of the culture in her family. She really doesn't care about material things and she is content with very little, which is something both of us have in common. I don't think she finds it very easy to connect with people, she feels different to others and feels that they won't understand her. She seems to live in the future somewhat, always planning and thinking about it but never actually doing anything practical to get it. Thats what we talk about most of the time, thinking up way-out stuff we can do, with no thought to whether it is practical or not. I think she makes sense of the world through her religious beliefs so maybe thats not such an issue with her compared to most INFJs.

Whether she is an ISFJ or INFJ I do know that she is very F heavy.

SilentStream

MBTI Type
INTP

Yeah she doesn't have a hands-on practical focus on this type of thing, its more of an abstract Good vs Evil concern. She doesn't have an active role in her community doing charitable works, not even in her religion where such things are given emphasis.

Yeah, she doesn't do a lot, just dabbles a bit. I personally like gardening too but in an abstract - you can save the world in a garden - sorta thing :). But I read far more books about it than I actually get out there and do anything :blush:.

Well, she is an Australian so that kinda makes a difference. Actually, all the TV shows and a lot of the films she likes are mainly british. She's into the british crime/detective shows too and I find these to be a very SJ flavour.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah she doesn't have a hands-on practical focus on this type of thing, its more of an abstract Good vs Evil concern. She doesn't have an active role in her community doing charitable works, not even in her religion where such things are given emphasis.

Yeah, she doesn't do a lot, just dabbles a bit. I personally like gardening too but in an abstract - you can save the world in a garden - sorta thing :). But I read far more books about it than I actually get out there and do anything :blush:.

Well, she is an Australian so that kinda makes a difference. Actually, all the TV shows and a lot of the films she likes are mainly british. She's into the british crime/detective shows too and I find these to be a very SJ flavour.

Ah, so maybe I was on to something?...

P.S. I love British mystery novels, especially old-fashioned cozies like Agatha Christie, and I read some PD James. I tend to like British comedy, especially black comedies,and I find that a lot of Americans do not appreciate them. However, I only see the stuff that goes international - you could be talking about very mainstream British tv that I've never seen having an "SJ flavour". I dunno.

SilentStream

MBTI Type
INTP
Ah, so maybe I was on to something?...

P.S. I love British mystery novels, especially old-fashioned cozies like Agatha Christie, and I read some PD James. I tend to like British comedy, especially black comedies,and I find that a lot of Americans do not appreciate them. However, I only see the stuff that goes international - you could be talking about very mainstream British tv that I've never seen having an "SJ flavour". I dunno.

I think we just get the international stuff in Australia too, hmm maybe the British detective stuff isn't SJ, I guess I've never really watched it, I just thought it looked boring therefore SJ!:blush:. Yeah I like Agatha Christie too and I keep meaning to read PD James. My friend is in love with Poirot "he's so cute!" she says. She really gets the British humour, and that is one of our common interests, we are both obsessed with the IT crowd at the moment. In fact we both seem to be into everything British together, along with all the Austen kinda stuff too. That doesn't tell you much about her personality though *sigh*. Its hard to quantify someone in words. Her favourite music is Symphonic Metal. Oh and she loves musicals. She likes Karoeke and dancing. She loves the beach and gets all excited like a little kid when we go to the cinema. Everything she likes seems very sensing to me. Actually my ISFJ Dad is really into British humour too while my INTP Mum doesn't quite get it. And my ISFX Grandma loves all the British TV shows and mystery novels. So like cascadeco said you can't really type someone by their interests easily.

When we do things together it's usually Sensing activities. Watching films, TV, going to the beach, eating etc.. and we don't really have intellectual conversations and if we do its kinda one sided with me analysing things or asking her more abstract questions. In fact she does a lot of the talking and I just listen and make comments. Sometimes her conversation tires me out because its so people and true-story oriented and I end up at the end not saying much at all if other people are there to take up conversation. Often I'll try to talk about something like psychology or to analyse something in a more philosophical manner but usually she won't reciprocate but will change the subject and bring it back to reality. She's sounding more and more ISFJ - I guess we are friends because we have similar interests and lifestyle rather than a similar way of thinking.

Snow Turtle

She seems to be idealistic, too, like an NF.

It does appear that ISFJs are more interested in their local community, but depending on their age. I'd say that the internet and globalisation has pushed most teenage individuals to accept the world as their community hence a developed interest in world affairs. Injustice is a thing that I'd not chalk down to being N or S since Fe can be a primary motivation for that rather than Si/Ni.

SJs are guided by their storage of impressions/experiences/data. Depending on the amount of exposure to ideas, we can then enter very seemingly unconventional routes but honestly they are perfectly natural.

Yeah I think I was scraping the barrel there! But I have to agree - shes an ISFJ.
I am slightly disappointed that she isn't an INFJ which is weird because it really shouldn't make a difference. I guess because I must have some secret hope that she will suddenly get interested in what I like or perhaps I've actually been assuming she is more like me :shock:.
Oh well, it sucks though because I don't have any friends who are Ns then. Damnit where are they?

If it makes you feel better...
I'm an ISFJ who is very interested in MBTI so it's not exactly impossible to get her interested in this sort of thing. (First assumption - specific situation)
Now if you were talking about having similar tastes in a more general sense, I don't see why not? In fact it'd probably be more interesting to hear it from a different perspective.

If it makes you feel any better. IXFJs have tertiary Ti which matches the INTPs dominant Ti. In this regard combined with the introversion, IXFJs can become extremely analytical and concerned about what is truth sort of like IXFPs Fi but explained in a sort of X leads to Y sort of fashion.

I'm more interested in psychology myself (doing the degree now) but I'm also intrigued by ethics (philosophy - not as much) - those are topics you'd probably be able to connect on as there is a human element to the entire thing.

SilentStream

MBTI Type
INTP
It does appear that ISFJs are more interested in their local community, but depending on their age. I'd say that the internet and globalisation has pushed most teenage individuals to accept the world as their community hence a developed interest in world affairs. Injustice is a thing that I'd not chalk down to being N or S since Fe can be a primary motivation for that rather than Si/Ni.

Yeah I'd say this is true, the global perspective seems to come from the media exposure rather than a naturally wholistic perspective. And your right about injustice being connected to Fe rather than Si/Ni.

SJs are guided by their storage of impressions/experiences/data. Depending on the amount of exposure to ideas, we can then enter very seemingly unconventional routes but honestly they are perfectly natural.

If it makes you feel better...
I'm an ISFJ who is very interested in MBTI so it's not exactly impossible to get her interested in this sort of thing. (First assumption - specific situation)
Now if you were talking about having similar tastes in a more general sense, I don't see why not? In fact it'd probably be more interesting to hear it from a different perspective.

If it makes you feel any better. IXFJs have tertiary Ti which matches the INTPs dominant Ti. In this regard combined with the introversion, IXFJs can become extremely analytical and concerned about what is truth sort of like IXFPs Fi but explained in a sort of X leads to Y sort of fashion.

I'm more interested in psychology myself (doing the degree now) but I'm also intrigued by ethics (philosophy - not as much) - those are topics you'd probably be able to connect on as there is a human element to the entire thing.

I really don't care if she is an ISFJ or INFJ actually. I still love her :wubbie:. I do feel like I understand her better now though which is great. And we do have lots of stuff in common which is why we are good friends, I guess opposites really do attract, which I should know seeing as my parents are ISFJ and INTP! I really don't get the SJ bashing that you see on the internet now though. We have even talked about getting a house together when we finish studying. In fact it might actually work out, because she'll take care of all the practical stuff I hate and I'll just wander around in a dream ;).

I'll try talking to her more about ethics and psychology rather than intellectual subjects - which I do already I guess. And I'll get her interested in MBTI through real-world examples rather than airy fairy definitions. I wonder how I can get her interested in ecology and permaculture? (My obsession at the moment). Maybe I can talk about her garden and give her tips. She is already thinks environmental sustainability is important, in fact she is the one that told me I should do my degree in it when I was unsure whether it was a practical idea.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ISFJ and INTP is generally a very stable and cool relation.

As for the SJ bashing, I've noticed that "modernized" SJs are really cool, the ones with an open mind to new things and such. Lots of the bashing comes from the people who aren't like this. I call it "modernized" because in this day and age it's generally a good thing to be open minded, and being raised in that environment will make someone value being open minded more, especially an SJ I imagine (from observing how effected they are with how they are raised). And you have stuff like this- "Waaah! I'm a 15 year old INTP, and I hate my teacher, so she must be an ESFJ! SJs suck!" <- Majority.

SilentStream

MBTI Type
INTP
ISFJ and INTP is generally a very stable and cool relation.

As for the SJ bashing, I've noticed that "modernized" SJs are really cool, the ones with an open mind to new things and such. Lots of the bashing comes from the people who aren't like this. I call it "modernized" because in this day and age it's generally a good thing to be open minded, and being raised in that environment will make someone value being open minded more, especially an SJ I imagine (from observing how effected they are with how they are raised). And you have stuff like this- "Waaah! I'm a 15 year old INTP, and I hate my teacher, so she must be an ESFJ! SJs suck!" <- Majority.

Yeah I think your right about this. In fact the older people (in their 50s/60s) I know who I think are Ns seem more close-minded than younger Ns. But I also think that Js are less likely to be flexible as they grow older, especially as the culture changes so fast now. But my friend did grow up in a quite relaxed anything-goes family where she was allowed to be whoever she wanted to be. This is probably partly the reason why she is so independent and well-balanced. My ISFJ Dad sounds like he was quite flexible when he was younger but now he is rather stuck in his ways and it takes a lot for my INTP Mum and I to get him to do anything radical. Also he had a very domineering father, so he has trouble with being assertive unlike my friend.

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I actually believe she's a LSI - ISTj.