User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default I'm Confused about my Type

I've tried to type my personality using various questionnaire,and I'm 90% sure I'm an INXP but I have serious problem determining whether I'm a T or a F.

When I was a kid, I didn't share the common traits of INFP. I don't recalling day dreaming or living in a fantasy. I didn't like fiction or fantasy books. Instead, I loved biography, encyclopedia, and documentaries. I loved playing toy guns, tanks, or anything military related. I dislike fantasy themed books and movies such as Dragons, Magic, and etc. Instead, I prepare realistic movies with deep philosophical theme. Although I have to admit that I love cheesy comedy if I was watching it with friends.

Even though I can't say that I enjoy math, but I can pull a 80% without much difficulty. The subjects that I loved the best were English and Philosophy but it could be just that I had two teachers that I liked. I'm really good at computers although not at the level of those hardcore Computer Scientist. I'm probably one step below the hardcore CS guy and many steps above an average person.

I don't like making decision based on "gut" because it doesn't feel "safe". I like to at least do a minimal analysis before I make a decision.

As for the FEELING side, I don't know if it was part of me or I have developed it in the past few years since I had been reading books on Human Psychology and Social Etiquette. When I'm doing peer evaluation or grading someone, I would give that person a good mark even though he/she might not deserve it. I say to myself : "What can I gain by grading fairly or giving a harsh mark?"
    When I fill out surveys, I dislike the one where you have 7 choices from Strongly Disagree to Strongly Agree. I prefer Agree/Neither/Disagree.

When I see a begger on the street, my first reaction is to open my wallet. However, this has changed because of parental and social influence where the general consensus is "Why give them money?"

I used to argue with my parents a lot when I was a kid. At those very moments, I truly believe that I was presenting logical arguments but they always dismissed me as "Arguing without reasons". I wish I have recordings so I can see whether I was being illogical or not.

I also have a strong sense in self-protection. When my parents hit me when I was a kid, I would literally fight back even though they are twice as big. I never let bullies walked over me no matter how big they are. I have this weird built-in mechanism where I will never attack anyone physically under any circumstances but I'd go nuts if anyone attacks me.

I don't understand what it means by "INFP dislikes conflicts". Of course, I prefer everyone to be harmonious and happy. Don't everyone feel the same? I wouldn't mind making concession just to make others happy.

I often "zone-out" when I'm driving or walking while chatting with someone. I will keep going forward until the other person comments "where are we/you going?" I'm not very good at symbols or patterns such as number patterns. I also have a hard time remember the maps or figuring out which direction (NWSE) I'm going.

I don't like bothering others. Sometimes I will just swallow the inconvenience than to confront them about it.

Sometimes I think I'm somewhat like an ISTP because I like fixing things, and I also like immediate result. I have many skills but I'm like a jack-of-all-trades.

I also tend to correct others but I've gotten it under control after reading social etiquette books.

I don't think I'm that left-brained because I have a good artistic balance. I'm not good at chess because I don't like to think ahead or analyze it.

I believe in spiritual power, astrology, tarot, UFO, and other things that an average typical INTP don't.

I'm really good at writing essays about deep philosophical issues. I can uncover the essence of an issue. However, sometimes the qualify of my works is compromised by my lackluster writing mechanics.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nickia View Post
    I didn't like fiction or fantasy books. Instead, I loved biography, encyclopedia, and documentaries.

I dislike fantasy themed books and movies such as Dragons, Magic, and etc. Instead, I prepare realistic movies with deep philosophical theme.

Although I have to admit that I love cheesy comedy if I was watching it with friends.

Even though I can't say that I enjoy math, but I can pull a 80% without much difficulty. The subjects that I loved the best were English and Philosophy but it could be just that I had two teachers that I liked. I'm really good at computers although not at the level of those hardcore Computer Scientist.

I don't like making decision based on "gut" because it doesn't feel "safe". I like to at least do a minimal analysis before I make a decision.

I say to myself : "What can I gain by grading fairly or giving a harsh mark?"

When I see a begger on the street, my first reaction is to open my wallet. However, this has changed because of parental and social influence where the general consensus is "Why give them money?"

I used to argue with my parents a lot when I was a kid. At those very moments, I truly believe that I was presenting logical arguments but they always dismissed me as "Arguing without reasons". I wish I have recordings so I can see whether I was being illogical or not.

I also have a strong sense in self-protection. When my parents hit me when I was a kid, I would literally fight back even though they are twice as big. I never let bullies walked over me no matter how big they are. I have this weird built-in mechanism where I will never attack anyone physically under any circumstances but I'd go nuts if anyone attacks me.

I don't like bothering others. Sometimes I will just swallow the inconvenience than to confront them about it.

I also like immediate result. I have many skills but I'm like a jack-of-all-trades.

I don't think I'm that left-brained because I have a good artistic balance. I'm not good at chess because I don't like to think ahead or analyze it.

I believe in spiritual power.....

I'm really good at writing essays about deep philosophical issues. I can uncover the essence of an issue.
    I have no clue what your type is. But from all that I quoted you on above, you sound a lot like me. I prefer things that seem more realistic over fantasy as well; at least insofar as arts, entertainment, and education go.

You sound like a strong feeling type if you make decisions more based on what's going inside versus stated or implicit rules and regulations(logic).
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I came to a conclusion before I even finished the first paragraph (Sorry!)

I think you're an INTP, and this is only because you said that you liked to read encyclopedias and didn't really like fantasy.
    I was obsessed with fantasy when I was younger. I did, and still do love to draw, create, look at various types of art, etc etc. It's such a huge part of me. I feel as I've gotten older and become more exposed to society, school and various types of people, that I have become very interested in how things work, the logical sides of things (when I can be bothered to think like this, because it doesn't come naturally) and I think this is because I want to understand everything around me as much as possible. This did lead me to thinking I was an INTP for a while..but I can see now that I'm so obviously not.

Ok, I just read your whole post ! You do have traits of an INFP, but the thing is (and i'm only going by my experience) is that I would go INSANE without being able to create, read a bit of fantasy every now and then..dream, delve into dark matters, la, la. All the usual. It's almost like a deep set need in me that I can never get rid of.

If you don't feel like this, then I think you are an INTP. You said you can go into a lot of detail and analyze things for essays, etc. However, I think you could be about 50% T, headed towards F. Hope this wasn't too confusing, and don't take my word for it!!! You know yourself better than I do...what do YOU believe you are, deep down?
    <3

MBTI
    INFP

Thanks guys.

The reason that I think I might be a feeler is that Im Always more sympathetic than my peers. I felt sorry for the kids who got bullied in grade school. I always root for the underdog. I love to listen to people' emotional problem. I would love to be a counsellor if the Pay was better. I'd downplay my ability or lose in a game to make the other part feel better. A typical Thinker come across as " harsh " to me.

Maybe I do create fantasy because sometimes I'd dream of some terrorist nukes my city or school but often or not I realize it's not gonna happen. I'm somewhat drawn to people who need help. Rationally, I don't like this because I can be more successful if I align with the successful crowd.

Maybe I'm feeler with strong thinking?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

yes, i think you could still be an INFP, for sure.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.."
    -Oscar Wilde

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I loathe fantasy and science fiction genres, although whimsical, romantic things appeal to me. That's a matter of taste anyway. Lots of INTPs like that fantasy stuff. Your reading tastes sound SJ to me more than anything.

The creative, dreamy side of me is a huge part of my identity, and I haven't heard any INFP who doesn't express getting lost in their imagination. Besides your interest in philosophy and UFO beliefs, you sound pretty grounded.

From this post, you seem to be a Feeler though, as every example shows you choosing to take a compassionate stance in dealing with people. You seem more concerned with "right and wrong" than "true and false".

Although, I'm seeing Fe over Fi in a lot of your choices. I don't hear much Ne as far as not analyzing much or seeing patterns. A person with Ne-aux is inclined to analyze the crap out of stuff, whether a T or an F.

Edit: These links are usually helpful. See which rings more true. And also look into all of the functions - you may not even be an INxP.

infp.globalchatter.com :: View topic - "The Introvert of Feeling-Type"

infp.globalchatter.com :: View topic - "The Introverted Thinking-Type"
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Moved to What's My Type?

Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I loathe fantasy and science fiction genres, although whimsical, romantic things appeal to me. That's a matter of taste anyway. Lots of INTPs like that fantasy stuff. Your reading tastes sound SJ to me more than anything.

The creative, dreamy side of me is a huge part of my identity, and I haven't heard any INFP who doesn't express getting lost in their imagination. Besides your interest in philosophy and UFO beliefs, you sound pretty grounded.

From this post, you seem to be a Feeler though, as every example shows you choosing to take a compassionate stance in dealing with people. You seem more concerned with "right and wrong" than "true and false".

Although, I'm seeing Fe over Fi in a lot of your choices. I don't hear much Ne as far as not analyzing much or seeing patterns. A person with Ne-aux is inclined to analyze the crap out of stuff, whether a T or an F.

Edit: These links are usually helpful. See which rings more true. And also look into all of the functions - you may not even be an INxP.

infp.globalchatter.com :: View topic - "The Introvert of Feeling-Type"

infp.globalchatter.com :: View topic - "The Introverted Thinking-Type"

Thanks OrangeAppled.

Maybe I'm a IXXP.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by nickia View Post
    Thanks OrangeAppled.

Maybe I'm a IXXP.
    Remember that P and J are not actually functions. Read about the functions, because the P & J stereotypes can mix you up. I mean, there are spontaneous Js and Ps who like to plan.

Have you tried a cognitive functions test? If anything, it can just give you an idea of how the functions are defined.

http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/as...velop_old.html
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Remember that P and J are not actually functions. Read about the functions, because the P & J stereotypes can mix you up. I mean, there are spontaneous Js and Ps who like to plan.

Have you tried a cognitive functions test? If anything, it can just give you an idea of how the functions are defined.

http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/as...velop_old.html

Hi OrangeAppled,

I tried to do your test but I'm having problem answering all these questions!
    I find it extremely hard to answer these questions objectively.

For example, "notice relevant facts in a sea of data before you ", I don't KNOW!!! I don't know if I notice relevant facts in a sea of data. I need some sort of comparison before I can answer these questions because they are so subjective. I mean, if I say I can run fast, it's an empty statement unless I compare my speed to something else such as a car or a child.

The kind of personality test that I find it easy to do is the one with scenario. I find it easier to give an answer when I can put myself into a scenario and make relevant decisions.

If you ask me, I will say I'm more of a tactician than a strategist. When I play games, I like micro-managing a small team and input specific actions. I also wanted to become an infantry or front-line officer rather than planning behind with a strategic map.

I'm also a violinist. I was drawn to violin not because of the music itself, but more of the fact that how those great violinists can move their fingers SO FAST with such precision. I want to be able to do that some day.

I like fixing problems and improving things.

BTW, I talked to one of friends who have known me for 7 years. I asked him about whether I'm a Thinker or a Feeler. He said it without hesitation that I'm a Thinker. Do I sound like a ISTP now?