• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I'm Confused about my Type

B

brainheart

Oh ps, my ISTP bro gets into metaphysical subject matters as well, as you said you did with tarot, etc. And he can be very sensitive, especially in relation to animals. I'm leaning more and more toward ISTP; though I wouldn't rule out ISTJ.

I recommend reading the descriptions on geocities/lifexplore

nickia

MBTI Type
INFP
Thanks. Someone mentioned that I could be a ISTJ. Now I looked at it, it also kind of make sense!

When I was a kid:
-I always follow rules and orders at school.
-I have never gotten any trouble with teachers
-Teachers tend to like me because I'm respectful and follow their instructions

I always follow rules and structures. I don't like taking risks unlike an ISTP. However, one description of ISTJ that doesn't fit me is that I'm not punctual and organized.

I'm at college now, and I'm having trouble with too much flexibility in terms of time. I liked the k12 structure better because I can go to school at 8am and come home at 3pm. Then do homework or play. I know what is going on every day. I'm more efficient that way. Does it mean I'm a J?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I'm at college now, and I'm having trouble with too much flexibility in terms of time. I liked the k12 structure better because I can go to school at 8am and come home at 3pm. Then do homework or play. I know what is going on every day. I'm more efficient that way. Does it mean I'm a J?

I think, at the very least, this statement is something that you'd be hard pressed to force out of an INFPs mouth.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks. Someone mentioned that I could be a ISTJ. Now I looked at it, it also kind of make sense!

When I was a kid:

I always follow rules and structures. I don't like taking risks unlike an ISTP. However, one description of ISTJ that doesn't fit me is that I'm not punctual and organized.

Ummm wow, you really should have included these details in the OP. That changes a lot. Your last paragraph is very suggestive of ISTJ.

In any event, IxFP is totally off, and IxTP is seeming less and less likely.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

When I was a kid:

I got an SJ vibe from the original post...

I think, at the very least, this statement is something that you'd be hard pressed to force out of an INFPs mouth.

That's the truth, haha :D

G

Glycerine

ISTJ could be it because it has all the same functions of the INFP but in a different order.
If you ask most P's (and to a certain extent NJs) they get fed up w/ rules pretty fast. You sound like a fairly strong J if you liked the K-12 school structure and liked things to be planned. J's like closure while P's like many options. From what you wrote, it looks like you are closure-oriented.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When I was a kid:
Why? What was your "reasoning" for doing that?

nickia

MBTI Type
INFP
Why? What was your "reasoning" for doing that?

I think the underlying reason was that I didn't want to be ridiculed by my teachers. I was less concerned about the actual punishment (detention, phone call to parents) than the embarrassment I might get. I also didn't see the need of going against the rules unless they were unreasonable. I was never rebellious. I behave because it's the natural thing for me to do. I never talked back to a teacher because I knew it was a losing-battle. However, I didn't have this feeling towards my parents though because I always challenged them.

Things about J that don't quite match are:

1. Organization and neatness (My room is messy and my computer are messy. I have 200 icons on my desktop and unrelated files are scattered everywhere.)

2. Punctuality (I'm frequently late; always leave at the last moment)

3. Decisiveness (I'd rather others make the decision for me most of trivial things like what to eat tonight; though I'm improving)

4. Follow through (I'm jumping from project to project like a P. Though I'm not a multitasker where I can't do 5 things a day and make the most out of them)

5. Promise (I break promises but sometime it's probably due to the fact that I have made those promises against my wish. e.g. I say "Yes" to requests where I don't really want to do but I say "Yes" because I don't like rejection.)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the underlying reason was that I didn't want to be ridiculed by my teachers. I was less concerned about the actual punishment (detention, phone call to parents) than the embarrassment I might get. I also didn't see the need of going against the rules unless they were unreasonable. I was never rebellious. I behave because it's the natural thing for me to do. I never talked back to a teacher because I knew it was a losing-battle. However, I didn't have this feeling towards my parents though because I always challenged them.

I understand this :yes:
As a kid, I could see the principle behind most rules, or it wasn't worth rebelling against.

Now, why do you like structure though? I am probably more efficient with structure, but I don't enjoy it. I'd say I am more creative and happy with flexibility and varied routine.

Every individual has qualities that defy their "type" though. There's still a good possibility you are ISTP. I'd go with the over all profile you relate to more, but continue looking into the ISTP and ISTJ functions.

B

brainheart

Things about J that don't quite match are:

1. Organization and neatness (My room is messy and my computer are messy. I have 200 icons on my desktop and unrelated files are scattered everywhere.)

2. Punctuality (I'm frequently late; always leave at the last moment)

3. Decisiveness (I'd rather others make the decision for me most of trivial things like what to eat tonight; though I'm improving)

4. Follow through (I'm jumping from project to project like a P. Though I'm not a multitasker where I can't do 5 things a day and make the most out of them)

5. Promise (I break promises but sometime it's probably due to the fact that I have made those promises against my wish. e.g. I say "Yes" to requests where I don't really want to do but I say "Yes" because I don't like rejection.)

You're sounding more like my ISFJ brother to me now. (I'm one of six children, hence all the brothers.) He isn't organized or particularly punctual, although he is constantly striving to be so. "I'll be getting to it," is his constant refrain. (I used to think he was an INFP, by the way, until I read the ISFJ description- and then I realized, ah, there's the difference between the two of us! But he also loves literature, but I don't think that's a requirement for ISFJ... He also has a ridiculous memory for facts, statistics, like who played the Superbowl in 1972 and what the score was, etc, and he can recite poetry, remember how to play a song on the guitar that he hasn't played in twenty years, etc, when my memory doesn't work like that at all.)

All of the things you say about yourself (in regards to follow through and promise as well) totally fit him. Although ISTJ I still consider a possibility. My dad's office area is organized in his 'own' way- a mess to the untrained eye, but it makes sense to him.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
After reading a few posts, you seem very ISTJ to me.
The only reason I don't say ISTP is not because you don't seem P, but because you overall don't seem like that free spirited SP.
Very S.
You can use that N side of the brain but you seem to be taking in information in a very empirical, solid-evidence kind of way. Taking it, and using it for philisophical things like the papers and computer science. Very observant, thorough in your description. All striking ISTJ.
You seem very naturally T, like you said, F was learned.
So nice, balanced ISTJ!

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You're sounding more like my ISFJ brother to me now. (I'm one of six children, hence all the brothers.) He isn't organized or particularly punctual, although he is constantly striving to be so. "I'll be getting to it," is his constant refrain. (I used to think he was an INFP, by the way, until I read the ISFJ description- and then I realized, ah, there's the difference between the two of us! But he also loves literature, but I don't think that's a requirement for ISFJ... He also has a ridiculous memory for facts, statistics, like who played the Superbowl in 1972 and what the score was, etc, and he can recite poetry, remember how to play a song on the guitar that he hasn't played in twenty years, etc, when my memory doesn't work like that at all.)

That was my first instinct....SJ with Fe.

Most of the ISFJs I know enjoy reading a lot. It's often simply different kinds of books from an INFP. They also enjoy the arts in a hands on way (kind of like ISFPs, but more practical) and can be very DIY and crafty. They are extremely nurturing and giving. I know quite a few who procrastinate and can be disorganized too. So I can imagine an ISFJ testing INFP and liking the profile, and wanting to identify with it. Many MBTI profiles conveniently leave out that INFPs are weirdos, haha. I think less ISFJs would be running around with an INFP tag if the picture was painted more clearly. I've been reading Jung lately, and his description of Fi really shows how IxFPs are unusual people.