User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Can ADD or Asperger's Syndrome influence how you test?

Hey,

I've been thinking that it seems possible that psychological problems could influence how you test or are typed by other people, but do you happen to know if especially ADD and Asperger's Syndrome can influence how people test on e.g. the cognitive functions test or other MBTI-related tools?
    Thanks a lot in advice!

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I certainly think so. For example, INTP character and personality traits can correspond to Asperger's social difficulties and somewhat extreme focus/proficiency in a certain area. Those who suffer from Histrionic personality disorder might test as an SFP.

Any time you have a disorder, I think that can make tests inaccurate, and you have to determine whether a description fits your disorder vs your personality.

All this assuming you consider disorders separate from a person's personality and not "part" of them.

MBTI
    ENTP

ADD/ADHD basically equals ENxP with strong preferences in those three letters. When I first got into MBTI, it was kind of funny to read how ENTP was "normal" yet similar characteristics could be classified separately as a "disorder". I know a lot of ESxPs get the diagnosis as well, but the whole thing is BS.

The modern school system is outdated, and as more technology comes into kids' lives, the ADD/ADHD diagnosis helps teachers keep the children in line by medicating them. But fewer and fewer jobs require the stand in line, don't talk out of turn, do what you're told mentality of the education factories most children still attend. Adult ADD is an even bigger joke because it's just an excuse for failure for people who are in the wrong profession.

I guess meds and the diagnosis are good for the ENTP/"ADHD" guy who wants to be a tax accountant, or for the ENFP/"ADHD" girl who wants to be a benefits administrator, and I've read some of the ADD tip books to help stay organized. But the diagnosis makes as much sense as medicating ISTJs for Attention Surplus Syndrome because their paintings aren't very inspiring.

MBTI
    ENTP

Almost certainly anyone with a non stable mental health condition would struggle with a generalise tendancy questionnaire.

Aspergrs and ADD are pretty different conditions, I think one would test as a possible T type the other P.... ADD I suspect has a full range of other letters, Aspergers possibly so... but it really depends on if ther person has cycles...

Personally I doubt you would get a valid test

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Sure they influence it, but they don't distort it. Rather than something like Asperger's being an outside influence that alters personality, the symptoms of Asperger's are just the natural characteristics of the person's personality being labeled and given a name. And it just so happens that some of those characteristics match up with the INTP and INTJ type.

But something like PTSD, yeah, that does skew personality.

MBTI
    INxJ

Definitely

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

It'll will alter your answers about yourself and your history. Of course it will change test results.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I know there are some who say that these conditions can be explained purely through type, but I believe that is glossing over what these conditions are. They are neurological (especially Asperger's), and have many symptoms that are more than just an overactive Ne or undedeveloped Fe or whatever. If that were the case, then certain types who normally have low or high pertinent functions would be synonymous with these conditions by definition.

People are reacting to an overdiagnosis of the conditions. Often times, they are placed on people who just have lesser traits that can perhaps be explained cognitively. But that does not mean that all diagnoses are as such. There is a balance. A little bit of both.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

Banned
    MBTI
    INTP

Aspergers and ADHD aren't pathological, the traits they represent are simply personality traits.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Halfjillhalfjack View Post
    Hey,

I've been thinking that it seems possible that psychological problems could influence how you test or are typed by other people, but do you happen to know if especially ADD and Asperger's Syndrome can influence how people test on e.g. the cognitive functions test or other MBTI-related tools?
    Thanks a lot in advice!
    Of course ADD/ADHD can affect test scores.
    Blue is my favorite color.
    HEY! That's a nice watch you're wearing!
    Let's go get some food, I'm hungry... :rolli: