• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Typing friends...

TheEmeraldCanopy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
ENFJ or ENFP or ISFJ or... ?!?!

I'm trying to figure out the MBTI and enneagram type of two people... I will start with Friend #1; I suspect she is an ISFJ, INFJ or ENFP.

Friend #1:
The best way to describe her is everybody's cheerleader, for the most part. She's quick thinking, always willing to help, and never seems to stop moving. When others are talking around her, she can easily throw herself into the conversation by commenting on something and usually she does this in a way as to encourage or bring out something positive she sees in the other person.

"Well done", "you are so awesome" or "Wow, I totally love you" are phrases you could expect her to use interchangeably for what seems like everyone (I'm sure she has exceptions), and most of the way she speaks is in a complimentary fashion, drawing attention towards something great about you or in declaring her "love" for you. When she does bring attention to herself, it is in the form of overachieving or mastering something; she takes risks (not in a reckless sense) to show she is not afraid to try something new. She dresses and styles herself in a way as to be attractive, but as to also let some of her uniqueness shine through.

She is not afraid to voice her opinions on certain things. However, she usually never talks about herself or much of anything going on in her life, unless it is more of a comical event that happened, never anything serious really (if something serious is brought up, she treads through it quickly without getting emotionally caught up and moves on to the next subject). She is not the type to complain about her circumstances (I suppose unless you knew her very, very well). She is like a walking burst of optimism, friendship and positive energy.

At the same time she seems VERY responsible and is conscientious of others. I have another ESFJ friend, but they somehow seem... different from each other.

My best guess would be a very extroverted looking ISFJ or maybe ENFJ... ENFP? Enneagram type? Maybe a 7 or a 6w7?

Friend #2:
For this friend, I suspect INFJ, INFP, or ENFP.

This person is a lot like Friend #1 in that they are both cheerleader types (they cheer on and encourage everyone). Both are high energy and somewhat hyperactive. Friend #2 is an overachiever in every sense of the word (nothing stops her in succeeding at whatever she does), yet she never lets her success change her. She dresses attractively with a unique flair, much like Friend #1.

She is also not very open to talking about herself. She is much more interested in creating harmony in the group than in drawing attention to herself, much more the active role of a peacemaker. She can be a risk taker just like Friend #1, but again, this is more in the sense to prove that she is not afraid rather than just being reckless.

The "I love you"s and pet names are things you can expect to hear from Friend #2 a lot, interchangeably for many different people regardless of how close she is to them (this comes with exceptions I'm sure as does with Friend #1). She never really shows her emotions (besides the perkiness she displays for others) or talks about herself unless you ask her directly and to be honest about how things are. She has said she doesn't think her problems are all that important, and that she has nothing really to say about herself.

She DOES have opinions and will occasionally rant or vent about something she feels is an injustice, but Friend #1 I believe would also do this. The overachieving and her hard work seems to speak for itself and allow her to stand out, despite her modest nature. She is definitely unique and creative.

I would say INFP, but using myself for an example to compare, I'm much more likely to go on a soap box or be dramatic about pointless things for the sake of my values; at the same time, I could just be a lot less mature than her. She is never the type to talk badly about someone. She can be very understanding.

My best guess would be an ENFP, maybe ENFJ... or INFP... Maybe a 2 or 1 on the enneagram.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1- ENFP
2- It sounds ENFJ to me...

TheEmeraldCanopy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Hmm... okay. Thanks for responding, Blackcat! :D

Friend #1
ENFP... While I agree with you (and I also guessed her type was ENFP), I keep wondering if she could be ISFJ or ISFP... She reminds me SO much of Elliot from Scrubs in that she has that kind of quirkiness about her. Which Enneagram type do you think fits?

Friend #2:
She never really struck me as an ENFJ... it's like I just can't quite put my finger on what she could be, although I agree that ENFJ sounds very plausible.

She does strive to be perfect in whatever she does. She seems to want to be successful, but she doesn't bulldoze others in the process... almost like it comes naturally to her. She's VERY caring and maternal as well though, but I can tell she's not an ESFJ... maybe she is an ENFJ, Two on the Enneagram?

She's tested before as INFP on a very short and painless quiz but... she seems much more... easygoing. Very, very accepting... incredibly mature and patient. ENFJ does seem to make sense... why am I having trouble accepting that type for her?

Maybe ENFP?

Last edited:

TheEmeraldCanopy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Which MBTI likes talking about themselves the LEAST? Friend #2 HATES talking about herself.

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
They both sound like they have Fi to me. I think one could be an ESFP.
Two I still get the FP vibe. Would have to know more about her to make a conclusion. Maybe an ISFP. I feel like ISFPs aren't too keen on talking about themselves.

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1. EXFX - too little information. She seems like a Three, but a lot of types can be threes.
2. IXFX - too little information. I think she's a nine (from what you've said) with a one wing, or vice versa.

TheEmeraldCanopy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Wow, thank you for the responses, Grace and Tyrant! :D

Friend 1:
I'm thinking she's an ISFP. She reminds me a lot of Elliot from Scrubs, only Friend 1 seems more self confident and a bit more focused on other people (giving you compliments and expressing her affection for you, things that remind me a bit of Fe).

Friend 2:
I asked her recently to take a longer, 72 question MBTI test. She came out as INFJ, which kind of surprised me.

-Her room is pretty messy, as is her car, but I'm probably falling into the trap of believing all J's are supposed to be clean and organized. She doesn't seem to be too bothered by the mess though.

-Above all, she seems warm and accepting, pretty much never gets overly emotional or dramatic in front of others.
-She hardly EVER talks about herself; it's almost like trying to pry open a sealed cellar door to get any information out of her (and even then, you feel as though you've been painfully nosy). She never talks about her interests.

-She doesn't follow style trends so much but still dresses appealingly.
-She has always seemed able to read other people very well.
-I'd say her top priority is creating harmony in her environment. She doesn't seem as critical as the other INFJs I know, much more willing to overlook things for the sake of peace (I think this could easily be an influence of the 9 more than anything however).

-She is constantly working (and working very hard) or out helping or contributing to some organization or group. She tries to include everyone.

Are INFJs usually more stoic and expressionless? She is usually very expressive, charming and exudes warmth, so I'm thinking maybe ENFJ more so?

What kind of information can I provide that would help with the typing?

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Type 2 I asked recently to take a longer, 72 question MBTI test. She came out as INFJ, which kind of surprised me.

Her room is pretty messy, as is her car, but I'm probably falling into the trap of believing all J's are supposed to be clean and organized. She doesn't seem to be too bothered by the mess though. She hardly EVER talks about herself... ISFP could fit I suppose too...

What kind of information can I provide that would help with the typing?

For some reason I think the cleanly organization only applies to some Js. The thing I pay more attention to in identifying a J is their need for closure or the need to express what they are thinking and feeling and make it happen in a timely manner.

one of my best friends is INFJ. His room is always a total mess, but he speaks his mind and prefers to finish things and follow through with decisions. Lists and organization only assist this purpose.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I really don't see INFPs or INFJs as being "cheerleader" types at all.... :huh:

I'm guessing xSFJ for #1 and leaning towards I, because ISFJs can seem more extroverted in social situations sometimes. Somehow, this sounds ISFJ to me:
When she does bring attention to herself, it is in the form of overachieving or mastering something

ExFJ for #2, leaning towards N. ENFJs can be terribly mysterious about their lives for being extroverts, and being NFs, may not be as tangibly organized as some Js.

I'm getting loads of Fe from both descriptions....

TheEmeraldCanopy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I really don't see INFPs or INFJs as being "cheerleader" types at all.... :huh:

I agree. I think I believed the "cheerleading" was part a of the INFP for awhile because I was mistyping Friend 2 as an INFP (based on her taking a short quiz and receiving the INFP typing).

Knowing that I was also an INFP, I kept thinking that there was something wrong with me, in that this constant nurturing, constant lack of really talking about herself, and constant ability to overachieve and work hard (AND not procrastinate?!) that I observed in her did not feel natural to me. I kept feeling like a defective INFP, thinking she was just a very healthy one.

Now that I'm seeing her as more of an xNFJ, it's making a whole lot more sense. :doh:

TheEmeraldCanopy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
For some reason I think the cleanly organization only applies to some Js. The thing I pay more attention to in identifying a J is their need for closure or the need to express what they are thinking and feeling and make it happen in a timely manner.

one of my best friends is INFJ. His room is always a total mess, but he speaks his mind and prefers to finish things and follow through with decisions. Lists and organization only assist this purpose.

Thanks for your input. This is definitely very useful to know. :yes:

And every time I see your avatar on the forums, I smirk/laugh out loud. Just letting you know, it's awesome. :smile:

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
1. ESFP
2. ENFJ probably. Maybe ISTP.

The things the first one says remind me of ESFPs. I'd also give ENTP a chance on both of them. ENTPs can be really friendly, laid back, encouraging and quite supportive. You'd pick them by the silliness though. Neither feels quite ENFP. Our support style is normally more subliminal than number 1, and number 2 was a hard worker :).

TheEmeraldCanopy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Friend #1 is always so optimistic. She is always SO encouraging to everyone... she definitely seems caring. She has her opinions from time to time and likes to take some risks and have fun...

What traits are visible in an ESFP female vs. an ISFP female?

TheEmeraldCanopy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
1. ESFP
2. ENFJ probably. Maybe ISTP.

The things the first one says remind me of ESFPs. I'd also give ENTP a chance on both of them. ENTPs can be really friendly, laid back, encouraging and quite supportive. You'd pick them by the silliness though. Neither feels quite ENFP. Our support style is normally more subliminal than number 1, and number 2 was a hard worker :).

I never considered ENTP... hmm... they both feel like very strong F's, but I will definitely give it some thought.