• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I an INTP or an ENTP?

Triglav

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Most of the test I've taken have described me as an INTP, but I seem to share some qualities of an ENTP very strongly, namely love of arguing and debating. I also prefer to not be by myself, but rather with intelligent and witty people, which are hard to find. Most people are boring and talk about trivial shit, but, again, I'd much rather be with a few close friends than be alone or at a huge party.

I often imagine how other people would perceive a news article or react to a certain event, which is something common in INTPS, but I also love to have an opinion on that news article. I love current events and will discuss politics (I'm an very dogmatic communist), religion, and philosophy, with everyone, even total strangers. I'm wary about meeting new people, because as I said before, most people tend to be boring, but I still will discuss philosophy or politics if the subject comes up.

I tend to be very cynical of people, and see the flaws of a person easily. I'm very rude to people who I don't like, mostly arrogant, pompous, and vain individuals. I absolutely hate SJ's with a passion. I've made a few girls cry in High School after they minorly insulted me; I could see their insecurities and weaknesses and I exploited them because I didn't like them. I feel I can see right through people, I can easily see what people are feeling or wether or not they're faking their emotion, but emotions scare me because I don't know what to do when I'm confronted with it. Whenever I feel a strong emotion, I prefer to reason it out rather than let it control me.

I question rules constantly, mostly internally though. I will only debate the rule if I know the teacher or instructor well, but if I don't I'll just resent it silently. Sometimes I laugh at something in my head, and people will give me a strange look as if I'm schizophrenic or something. My sense of humor is really different from the mainstream. I hate both normal and 4chan humor with a passion. I frequent an obscure forum whose sense of humor is probably the most developed, relying on the subconscious of the person, than of any other on the internet.

Well, if there's anything else you need to know, please ask. This has been bugging me for a while, I can't decide wether or not I'm INTP or ENTP, and I'm not content with being an ambivert.

VagrantFarce

It's time to leave the simplistic, newbie I/E S/N/ T/F/ J/P dichtomies behind and get into the real-gritty stuff: FUNCTIONS. :D

Here's some info to help you decide whether you're an introvert or an extravert, by considering your tertiary (third) function. :)

INTP said:
When introverts run into a situation that their Dominant Function can't handle, they need to adapt by negotiating, going along with the limitations of low-bandwidth social interaction, or otherwise doing something that does not involve total control or understanding of the situation. The Tertiary Function provides justification for maintaining an Introverted approach directly opposite to the worldly expansiveness that the person is ready for.

Tertiary Si (INxP): "I can't possibly go along with this, I don't have any reliable concepts or map to anchor myself with: it's all arbitrary and untrustworthy and meaningless. I'd be diving in without any orientation; I'd be tripped up or harmed from any random direction, and my efforts wouldn't be cumulative. I just won't budge. I'll build myself some barricades and wait for the storm to blow over." The Secondary Function (Ne) would say: "Look around, shake up the pot, see what new arises, and deal with it imaginatively; there must be better alternatives available than being stuck here." (My secondary Ne says something more in the lines of "Pay attention to your surroundings and do the thing that will have the most interesting results. Don't be dumb just because you don't have any experience.")

ENTP said:
For extraverts, the Tertiary Temptation arises when Orienting by socially defined expectations is failing them. To find their way, they need an independent integrity or awareness, which cannot be developed by understanding oneself solely in terms of how people respond to you. The Tertiary Function provides a way of Orienting in an Extraverted way--a way of Orienting directly opposite to the Introverted discovery that the person's current situation is naturally leading to.

Tertiary Fe (ExTP): "I'll lay a guilt trip on this guy, tell him all I've done for him and suggest that the next time he's in a tough spot, he might need my help. Well, hmm, ok, I'll be all friendly. I'll smile, tell him I like him, what a great guy he is. Well, hmm, that's not working, either. Ok, I'll make him look bad in the eyes of his friends." The Secondary Function (Ti) would say: "What is the truth? Not what people would agree is true, not an angle on the truth for making it palatable to someone, but the whole, honest truth?"

Taken from Tertiary Temptation

Triglav

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
My Function seems to be Ne, Ti, Se, Fi. That doesn't fit anywhere though!

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My Function seems to be Ne, Ti, Se, Fi. That doesn't fit anywhere though!

This suggests ENTP actually. The first two functions seem to be the most important...after that, people vary a lot (whether it's due to flaw in the theory or their own perception of themselves, or tests, or whatever).

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Are your Ne and Ti about the same? That would suggest you straddle the E-I divide, since if you're Ne dominant you're an ENTP and if you're an Ti-dom you're INTP.