• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

what is user darwin's [mbti] type?

Darwin

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w1
Hi,

I'm not really certain about my Myers-Briggs type, and I have recently become more interested in the typology so I am interested in making sure my typing is accurate.

I think that I am probable an ISTP or an ISFP. I think it's unlikely that I'm Extroverted or iNtuitive (but don't let that stop you).

Because I'm relatively unfamiliar with the typology (so I'm not yet sure what sort of information is relevant/irrelevant) and I'm kind of bad at spontaneously talking about myself, I was hoping that someone might have a set of questions for me to answer, or something to that effect.

I can try to tell you a little bit about myself --

My hobbies and interests include:

• Music (I am a multi-instrumentalist, composer, and part-time music teacher, it is an extremely significant part of my life in terms of time and effort invested as well as satisfaction and stimulation)
  • Woodwork (Mostly scrolling)
  • Needlework (mostly cross-stitching and embroidery, some sewing, though I intend to take up knitting)
  • Arts and crafts generally (I use all sorts of materials, and I tend to make whatever I need where I can -- for example I'm in the process of making a bird-shaped paintbrush holder out of felt, raffia, and a lot of glue. My favourite materials are probably oil pastels because it feels more "physical", using your hands to spread, smudge or blend colours)
  • Rock Climbing (probably my favourite sport and social activity)
  • Creative Writing (usually scifi, fantasy, fanfiction)
  • Dancing (I'm interested in ballroom dancing and I studied it for several years, it's one of the few sports I will actually watch
  • Poker (socializing often involves this)
  • Morrowind (best game ever, when I was very sick a few years back I used to play it about 6 hours a day and I've never gotten sick of it)
  • Speed Grapher (an anime I might be obsessed with)
  • Biology (especially human biology, genetics, evolution, taxonomy)
  • Psychology (especially personality theories, neuropsychiatry and evolutionary psychology)
  • Archaeology & Ancient History (among my best memories are traveling around visiting ruins and excavations in Italy (Villa Jovis, Grotto Matermania, Pompeii, Ercolano Scavi) and the UK (Stonehenge, Cadbury Castle, Hadrian's Wall and the Roman forts along it)... I really want to go traveling again and see more)

I'm told that I'm generally pretty quiet, but that I can be quite animated when any of the above turn up in conversation. I am unskilled at small talk, which I understand frustrates people. I'm also kind of shy and awkward unless I'm doing something with my hands (like holding a musical instrument, carrying food/drinks, holding my cards/chips, etc.).

I like making things (the above list probably demonstrates that well enough).

I'm a perfectionist and as a result rarely finish anything that doesn't really need to be finished.

Not sure what else to say!

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I would lean ISFP, that's what it sounds like.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
You sound like an ISFP or an ISTP. How do you feel about J or P? Are you very certain you're a P?

Darwin

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w1
You sound like an ISFP or an ISTP. How do you feel about J or P? Are you very certain you're a P?

I'm not sure exactly where I fit into the J/P dichotomy. In most tests (except for the mypersonality.info one) I usually get results close to 50/50.

I think that internally I am a naturally "organized" and structured thinker (I know "organization" is not itself related to J/P but I've always referred to my thinking style in that way and I think it may allude to the same thing in practice). I usually try to plan my personal projects before I start doing much more than research. I like to-do lists.

Externally, I think I'm pretty adaptable. I never plan my day if I can help it, I meet deadlines by the skin of my teeth. I make my to-do lists but proceed to treat them as suggestions for what I might do today if I decide feel like it.

If I was J, I have no idea which type I could be. If I was P, ISTP and ISFP both make some amount of sense (and both seem most compatible with my MO of "doing my own thing").

G

Ginkgo

On the surface, you seem to be an ISTP.

The very fact that you are indecisive of your type indicates that you have dominant Se. (Therefore, you are an ISTP)

Plus, I like your dolphin avatar. :)

G

Ginkgo

Could you please explain more about this?

I also lean towards ISTP > ISFP.

:D
Se is the secondary function for ISFPs and ISTPs.

Se needs a multitude of concrete "sensory data" before it can make a decision.

Extraverted Sensing occurs when we become aware of what is in the physical world in rich detail. We may be drawn to act on what we experience to get an immediate result. We notice relevant facts and occurrences in a sea of data and experiences, learning all the facts we can about the immediate context or area of focus and what goes on in that context. An active seeking of more and more input to get the whole picture may occur until all sources of input have been exhausted or something else captures our attention. Extraverted Sensing is operating when we freely follow exciting physical impulses or instincts as they come up and enjoy the thrill of action in the present moment. A oneness with the physical world and a total absorption may exist as we move, touch, and sense what is around us. The process involves instantly reading cues to see how far we can go in a situation and still get the impact we want or respond to the situation with presence.

Extraverted Sensing for ISTP

Auxiliary Sensing provides Thinking with all manner of information about the physical world. ISTPs possess heightened sensory awareness. And as other SPs, ISTPs are energized by responding to their impulses. Sports appeal to many ISTPs for the sheer sensory experience.

This combination of dominant introverted thinking and auxiliary extraverted sensing results in no-nonsense realism. The uncanny troubleshooting ability which predisposes many ISTPs to hands-on diagnostics (especially with machinery and computers) or detective work is most probably rooted in this pairing.

Extraverted Sensing for ISFP

ISFPs keep a finger on the pulse of here and now. They are more adept at doing than considering, at acting than reflecting, at tasting than wondering. As do most SPs, ISFPs keenly sense color, sound, texture, and movement. It is not unusual for ISFPs to excel in sensory, motor, or kinesthetic abilities.

ISFPs cherish their impulses. Some of the most beautiful, graceful, and artistic performances are the result of this drive for physical, sensate expression.

Can you relate to these things?

Darwin

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w1
Is this correct: you are saying that Se can lead to indecision about type because types with strong Se look for more information?

I'll bold the parts of the quote that I think apply to me and make some comments:

Extraverted Sensing occurs when we become aware of what is in the physical world in rich detail. We may be drawn to act on what we experience to get an immediate result. We notice relevant facts and occurrences in a sea of data and experiences, learning all the facts we can about the immediate context or area of focus and what goes on in that context. An active seeking of more and more input to get the whole picture may occur until all sources of input have been exhausted or something else captures our attention. Extraverted Sensing is operating when we freely follow exciting physical impulses or instincts as they come up and enjoy the thrill of action in the present moment. A oneness with the physical world and a total absorption may exist as we move, touch, and sense what is around us. The process involves instantly reading cues to see how far we can go in a situation and still get the impact we want or respond to the situation with presence.

I am very much concerned with getting all the information I can (I'm generally considered very knowledgeable as a result). One can never learn too much! I also frequently experiment to get more data (for example, I don't know if everyone will understand exactly what I mean, but when I was first learning to play musical instruments I would experiment with different fingering combinations to find quarter-tones and multiphonics before I even realized there were fingering charts for that sort of thing), and I can be quite exhaustive in doing so.

As for the rest of it, it rather sounds like Se makes one a bit impulsive. I don't think I am especially impulsive. I think there is also a bit much emphasis on "thrills". I enjoy being immersed in the "moment", but I'll just as soon seek a massage or a hot bath as I will get on stage, rock climbing races, or ride around in fast cars. It might be worth nothing that I try to make something a physical or sensory experience if possible (when I teach music I tend to avoid bookwork, focussing more on practical skills).

I'm not sure that I am "one with the physical world", I don't even think I know what that means.

Extraverted Sensing for ISTP

Auxiliary Sensing provides Thinking with all manner of information about the physical world. ISTPs possess heightened sensory awareness. And as other SPs, ISTPs are energized by responding to their impulses. Sports appeal to many ISTPs for the sheer sensory experience.

This combination of dominant introverted thinking and auxiliary extraverted sensing results in no-nonsense realism. The uncanny troubleshooting ability which predisposes many ISTPs to hands-on diagnostics (especially with machinery and computers) or detective work is most probably rooted in this pairing.

I'm not sure exactly what is meant by "energized by responding to their impulses". It might apply to me if it is, as I think it may be, similar to my tendency to pretty much do my own thing, whatever I want to do.

Not all sports appeal to me, but those that do are particularly appealing.

Trouble-shooting is definitely my thing.

Extraverted Sensing for ISFP

ISFPs keep a finger on the pulse of here and now. They are more adept at doing than considering, at acting than reflecting, at tasting than wondering. As do most SPs, ISFPs keenly sense color, sound, texture, and movement. It is not unusual for ISFPs to excel in sensory, motor, or kinesthetic abilities.

ISFPs cherish their impulses. Some of the most beautiful, graceful, and artistic performances are the result of this drive for physical, sensate expression.

I'm definition better with my "hands" than my "head", although I don't think I have any problems with reflecting, consideration, etc.

Again with the impulses thing. Still not sure what to make of that, or even exactly how it relates to artistic performances.

G

Ginkgo

Is this correct: you are saying that Se can lead to indecision about type because types with strong Se look for more information?
Yes.

I think you are an ISTP. But I will reserve my judgment until you confirm you are one.

This the dominant function of ISTPs - Introverted Thinking

Introverted Thinking often involves finding just the right word to clearly express an idea concisely, crisply, and to the point. Using introverted Thinking is like having an internal sense of the essential qualities of something, noticing the fine distinctions that make it what it is and then naming it. It also involves an internal reasoning process of deriving subcategories of classes and sub-principles of general principles. These can then be used in problem solving, analysis, and refining of a product or an idea. This process is evidenced in behaviors like taking things or ideas apart to figure out how they work. The analysis involves looking at different sides of an issue and seeing where there is inconsistency. In so doing, we search for a “leverage point” that will fix problems with the least amount of effort or damage to the system. We engage in this process when we notice logical inconsistencies between statements and frameworks, using a model to evaluate the likely accuracy of what’s observed.

While Introverted Feeling is dominant in ISFPs

It is often hard to assign words to the values used to make introverted Feeling judgments since they are often associated with images, feeling tones, and gut reactions more than words. As a cognitive process, it often serves as a filter for information that matches what is valued, wanted, or worth believing in. There can be a continual weighing of the situational worth or importance of everything and a patient balancing of the core issues of peace and conflict in life’s situations. We engage in the process of introverted Feeling when a value is compromised and we think, “Sometimes, some things just have to be said.” On the other hand, most of the time this process works “in private” and is expressed through actions. It helps us know when people are being fake or insincere or if they are basically good. It is like having an internal sense of the “essence” of a person or a project and reading fine distinctions among feeling tones.

Which one fits you best?

Darwin

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w1
I think that both Introverted Thinking and Introverted Feeling are relevant to me, but Ti probably wins out in reality. My process of evaluation seems to go something like, "Is it practical?" > "Is it reasonable/rational?" > "Does it fit with my values?".

G

Ginkgo

I think that both Introverted Thinking and Introverted Feeling are relevant to me, but Ti probably wins out in reality. My process of evaluation seems to go something like, "Is it practical?" > "Is it reasonable/rational?" > "Does it fit with my values?".

Then you are most likely an ISTP. Or an IStP (notice the small t).

If I helped, I am glad. Welcome to the forums. :hi:

Do you have anymore questions?

Darwin

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w1
Then you are most likely an ISTP. Or an IStP (notice the small t).

What is the significance of the small 't'? (I am not familiar with mixed-case notation in MBTT)

If I helped, I am glad. Welcome to the forums. :hi:

Do you have anymore questions?

You were helpful, thank you. :)

I'm not really sure which questions I should be asking yet, I pretty much plan to read around and see what comes up.

G

Ginkgo

What is the significance of the small 't'? (I am not familiar with mixed-case notation in MBTT)

You were helpful, thank you. :)

I'm not really sure which questions I should be asking yet, I pretty much plan to read around and see what comes up.

I believe t just means that you are under 50% T on the test. I might be wrong because I'm relatively new here too. However, from what I see on your sig, I think you are a capital T.

To put it in perspective, the stronger your T score is on the test, the more you prefer using Ti. However, The stronger you score F on the test, the more you prefer Fi.

Hopefully reading about the functions won't be as much of a drudgery as the your real-life book work is. :reading:

Darwin

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w1
I believe t just means that you are under 50% T on the test. I might be wrong because I'm relatively new here too. However, from what I see on your sig, I think you are a capital T.

To put it in perspective, the stronger your T score is on the test, the more you prefer using Ti. However, The stronger you score F on the test, the more you prefer Fi.

Wouldn't being under 50% T make me ISFP instead? :huh:

Hopefully reading about the functions won't be as much of a drudgery as the your real-life book work is. :reading:

Bookwork is not really a drudgery, only when I don't care about the subject matter. ;)

G

Ginkgo

Wouldn't being under 50% T make me ISFP instead? :huh:

Bookwork is not really a drudgery, only when I don't care about the subject matter. ;)

I must be reading the proportions incorrectly, I apologize. :doh: The picture is rather blurry.

:D

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
On the surface, you seem to be an ISTP.

The very fact that you are indecisive of your type indicates that you have dominant Se. (Therefore, you are an ISTP)

With all due respect, this is not the best reasoning. So this means every single person who's indecisive of his/her type is automatically an SP? Also, if he/she has dominant Se, then that would mean he/she is ESxP, not ISxP.