• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFp Turning into INFj

G

Ginkgo

I would like to begin by simply stating that I am new to these forums. So, hello! :hi:

I have taken the MBTI several times in the past year. I was initially typed as an INFP before retaking it to get INFJ. Both of the archetypes resonate with me, thus I label myself as an INFX. Furthermore, my Ni is just as strong as my Ne, and they are often interchangeable depending on what I feel like.

However, upon thoughtful consideration, I have recently begun to organize my life as an INFJ would. After all, I have now left the mess that is my parents house, both of whom are "P" types. I have also noticed that, by doing this, my Ni is becoming more dominant than my Ne; and it is truly empowering to be able to move to conclusions more readily than I used to.

So, I ask you. Is it possible for a young adult to "change" his or her type?

Regardless of your answer, I am still going to strive to become more "J" like in order to harness and categorize my environment. :yes:

PS - Don't give me that damned infjorinfp link. The woman who made is it batshit crazy.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would like to begin by simply stating that I am new to these forums. So, hello! :hi:
Welcome. Glad to have you.

So, I ask you. Is it possible for a young adult to "change" his or her type?
No.

Others may think you can somehow change your preferences, but my opinion on the matter is that type is innate and behavior =/= type.

That's some true J for ya. :D

PS - Don't give me that damned infjorinfp link. The woman who made is it batshit crazy.

:laugh:
---
I also have strong Ne, but I'm sure Ni is my dominant function.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
J or P only determines your dominant function. They are not functions in themselves. If you feel you are an introvert and have always had intuition as your dominant function, then you've always been an INFJ.

Ne-dom is ENFP anyway, not INFP. An INFP is Fi-dom (introverted feeling).

G

Ginkgo

Welcome. Glad to have you.

No.

Others may think you can somehow change your preferences, but my opinion on the matter is that type is innate and behavior =/= type.

That's some true J for ya. :D

:laugh:
---
I also have strong Ne, but I'm sure Ni is my dominant function.

So, are you saying that I am forever trapped on the crossroads between these 2 types? How depressing. But if what you say is true, then at least I am unique! You can no longer cram me in your little stereotypical boxes! ;)

G

Ginkgo

Right, but INFJ is Ni dominant. What I meant to say was that they are equally strong.

My cognitive processes usually go as follows:

Ni>Fi>Ne>Si>Te

I might be wrong. I need more time to analyze myself.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well hello there! Delighted to have you around. What I would have said would be the same as what OA said so I can't give you much here :D.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So, are you saying that I am forever trapped on the crossroads between these 2 types?
No, I'm saying you are one or the other. Even if it's a small p or small j (many, many INFJs have a small J), you are only one.
But if what you say is true, then at least I am unique! You can no longer cram me in your little stereotypical boxes! ;)

Get into the box! You little runt... *pushes you in and sits on the box*

Ni>Fi>Ne>Si>Te

I might be wrong. I need more time to analyze myself.

INFJs often test as having high Fi. But I think cognitive tests are next to worthless.

EDIT: Your functions actually seem closer to INFP. Except the Ni. And if you agree with the results that you have that strong of Si and Fe/Ti isn't very present, I'd go with INFP.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My cognitive processes usually go as follows:

Ni>Fi>Ne>Si>Te
The other core process of an INFJ (Ti and Fe) aren't even in your top half, so I'd say you're an INFP. What you experience as your J side coming out is probably you developing your Te. This is something most INFPs feel a need to do at some point in their lives, and it's considered their cornerstone of growth.

G

Ginkgo

Ok, thanks everybody! You have given me some peace of mind, but it is time for me to attend to my studies! I plan to make more posts in the future. :)

G

Ginkgo

The other core process of an INFJ (Ti and Fe) aren't even in your top half, so I'd say you're an INFP. What you experience as your J side coming out is probably you developing your Te. This is something most INFPs feel a need to do at some point in their lives, and it's considered their cornerstone of growth.

The Ni that I experience is basically taking 2 pieces of information and drawing a conclusion from it. It feels like playing Sudoku, and it is often the first thing that happens when I am obtaining new information.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Ni that I experience is basically taking 2 pieces of information and drawing a conclusion from it. It feels like playing Sudoku, and it is often the first thing that happens when I am obtaining new information.
Ne draws connections among things in the external environment. It operates on the premise that there is some truth behind the scenes, and that to find this truth you locate all the clues and connect them into one picture. As you gather more data, this picture becomes clearer and clearer, rather like a connect-the-dots puzzle.

Ni, on the other hand, withdraws from the world and focuses on the interpretive process itself. Instead of add up all the clues to get to the truth, Ni will consider various, often disparate ways to look at things. While it does this, Ni at the same rejects the idea that any one interpretation is the absolute truth. For Ni, the closest thing to an absolute truth would be a perspective that contains within it all the other possible perspectives, somewhat in the way that "four" contains "one," "two," and "three," depending on how you slice it.

Ni can make internal connections, too, but I would have to say that what you described sounds more like Ne to me.

G

Ginkgo

Interesting. I think I am having an identity crisis over here, haha.

Mind you, I have not taken the professional version of the MBTI, but rather the online ghetto one. Would you recommend I get it from my counselor?

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting. I think I am having an identity crisis over here, haha.

Mind you, I have not taken the professional version of the MBTI, but rather the online ghetto one. Would you recommend I get it from my counselor?
I think the best thing you can do is to observe yourself, using the MBTI as your tool. You'll learn more about yourself and more about typology, and that's exactly what you need in order to choose your Type. If you take a test (most of which are poorly designed), you measure a few isolated behaviors and often end up with a false interpretation.

G

Ginkgo

I think the best thing you can do is to observe yourself, using the MBTI as your tool. You'll learn more about yourself and more about typology, and that's exactly what you need in order to choose your Type. If you take a test (most of which are poorly designed), you measure a few isolated behaviors and often end up with a false interpretation.

Where would you start if you were me?

I feel that I lean toward INFj because I use the "directing" form of communication. However, my imagination is as wild as any INFp's.

wren

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
J or P only determines your dominant function. They are not functions in themselves. If you feel you are an introvert and have always had intuition as your dominant function, then you've always been an INFJ.

Ni and Fi are confusing to sort out if Ne is developed too. I'm not good on mbti and temperament but when I consider my own specialties, meaning what functions have served me in life, it has been those of intuition and feeling. Extraversion and introversion are also a measure of life events- environmental influences- which also compounds the issue and certainly will make the entire theory it rests upon seem like a can shot through with holes.

One must develop acute sensing and thinking for one's frame, if inherently intuitive and feeling, or female in the dominant culture (similarly, but in reverse, to the growth that must occur for thinking and sensing creatures, or males), to the potential possible, in order to draw valid conclusions regarding which is a leading function. imho

To put it simply, one needs to mature in order to determine type. And by that time, one could conclude, what's the point?

G

Ginkgo

Ni and Fi are confusing to sort out if Ne is developed too. I'm not good on mbti and temperament but when I consider my own specialties, meaning what functions have served me in life, it has been those of intuition and feeling. Extraversion and introversion are also a measure of life events- environmental influences- which also compounds the issue and certainly will make the entire theory it rests upon seem like a can shot through with holes.
that time, one could conclude, what's the point?

Yes, I agree. Especially because as a child, I was forced into being in a slovenly mess by my parents. They love me, but my mother had a horrible hording habit. I wanted to have control at first (J), but eventually I just gave up because she would always stop me from cleaning or throwing things out (P). This, I reckon, would be environment, and thus a "learned" behavior.

By the way, I'm not saying that all people with "P" in their type are like my mother. She is unhealthy. :(

Jaded Idealist

MBTI Type
INFJ
I know I'm not alone among INFJs in identifying with INFPs as far as strong Fi, random bouts of depression/extreme emotion, and having a wild imagination that gets me into trouble.

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

That's Ne. My Ne and Ni are both high, so I'm good at distinguishing. My description of Ni is as a deep, dark ocean of unconscious ideas. When my Fi/Ne or Ne/Te gets blocked (depending on the nature of the problem), I cast a line into my Ni and turn my attention to something else. Every now and then I check the line to see if it's hooked an idea-fish yet; for a very important decision, I always wait until I've had a chance to sleep on it, but I usually hook the answer to a skipped problem on a standardized test before time is up.

TheEmeraldCanopy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I agree with Lauren Ashley. I don't think type really changes.

The best reminder for me that I am not a J is when I spend some time with my INFJ friend. I can instantly sense there is a difference.

I notice that I am constantly trying to sort of "soften" the hard exterior of my INFJ friends when I with them by trying to come to an agreement on something or making a joke; it is easy to catch myself yielding to them or in their favor when we are talking. They give off very intense vibes, and if I am lucky, I will make them smile or laugh. I feel the same way towards TP's. I hope they enjoy my spacey company; they are difficult to read.

G

Ginkgo

It seems as though I am trying to separate myself from my parents by wanting to be an INFJ. What a sad day for my INFP self.