User Tag List

First 81617181920 Last

Results 171 to 180 of 233

  1. #171
    Obsession. Lethe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni
    Posts
    801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    I do both of these things. Are you sure this isn't too vague?

    I'm about to give up trying to understand all of this. The functions can be misinterpreted so many ways. It's not scientific.
    No, people can do (and prefer) both.

    Although the Ni and Ne points in different directions, the perceptions can easily overlap with each other.

    Here's an example:

    Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    A. Ni Sample Focus # 1: Various literary archetypes undergo the same thematic obstacles.
    B. Ne Sample Focus # 1: One literary archetype manifests themselves in various characters, who all lead separate lives.

    A. Ni Sample Focus # 2: All the characters who share these traits contribute to an archetype -- Byronic heroes, supervillains, crones, etc.
    B. Ne Sample Focus # 2: A character who has this trait is comparable to another character, which leads to this character and so on.
    =================

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    -MBTI lists the functions which are strongest in a person, not the order. Correct?
    They list the order of preference, not ability. For instance, I am talented at singing, but I dislike doing so.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Ni "sees past interpretations"
    Mmmmmm...to clarify: Ni would see the different (but related) interpretations of a single point. Ne would see how a single point could be interpreted into an entirely new point that shares little foundation with the previous.

    Ni and Ne could both see past an interpretation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    I haven't had lunch yet.
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

    Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne


    Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

  2. #172
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    No, people can do (and prefer) both.

    Although the Ni and Ne points in different directions, the perceptions can easily overlap with each other.

    Here's an example:
    I more closely identify with the Ni samples here, but that's just because I am under the assumption that the author is trying to illustrate s specific archetype. edit: THEME, not archetype.

    This is why Quintin Terentino Movies frustrate the hell out of me. There's no meaning behind them. Therefore, Quintin Terentino's purpose in making movies is not to illustrate any sort of "meaning", but to be as demented as possible.

  3. #173
    Obsession. Lethe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni
    Posts
    801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    I more closely identify with the Ni samples here, but that's just because I am under the assumption that the author is trying to illustrate s specific archetype. edit: THEME, not archetype.

    This is why Quintin Terentino Movies frustrate the hell out of me. There's no meaning behind them. Therefore, Quintin Terentino's purpose in making movies is not to illustrate any sort of "meaning", but to be as demented as possible.
    (The author is myself. )

    Themes and archetypes, in general, are iNtuitive subjects. However, Ni and Ne deals with them separately. I would guess that Quentin is a Pe (Se or Ne) dominant: he jumps around from a new thought to another, with little connections. Perhaps he's an ESTP.

    I highly enjoy his films because I can effortlessly see (my) meaning in them. As they say, you see the world through your lens, so I'm not completely sure what Tarantino's objective is. I need to read more about him to figure that out.
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

    Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne


    Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

  4. #174
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post


    Mmmmmm...to clarify: Ni would see the different (but related) interpretations of a single point. Ne would see how a single point could be interpreted into an entirely new point that shares little foundation with the previous.



    When I read this, I have the habit of tracking back to Brave New World.

    So, in that context, would you say that a person's Ni would know that one reader may interpret the book as a lampooning of Communism, while another reader views it as criticizing Capitalism, and another reader would interpret it as Socialism?

    While a person's Ne would relate all of the themes of the book as an Alarm against that person's current condition?

    Edit: All of these thoughts occur to me as I read the book.

  5. #175
    Obsession. Lethe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni
    Posts
    801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    When I read this, I have the habit of tracking back to Brave New World.
    (Ironically, that is my INFP friend's favorite book.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater;835625S
    in that context, would you say that a person's Ni would know that one reader may interpret the book as a lampooning of Communism, while another reader views it as criticizing Capitalism, and another reader would interpret it as Socialism?
    Ni would also try to seek the common threads within those ideas.
    Ne would see how those interpretations are different from each other.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater;835625S
    While a person's Ne would relate all of the themes of the book as an Alarm against that person's current condition?
    Sounds more like Ni.
    Ne would say observe how an Alarm against a person's current condition can result in numerous, unrelated themes.

    Example:

    Simulatedworld explains in this thread how his ideas are seen in a Fi+Ne light when they are not supposed to be, while I see the Fi+Ne mindset as a different (and relevant) way of tackling the same individual needs.
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

    Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne


    Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

  6. #176
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    (Ironically, that is my INFP friend's favorite book.)
    Yes, I hear that Aldous Huxley was also an INFP.



    Ni would also try to seek the common threads within those ideas.
    Ne would see how those interpretations are different from each other.
    I do all of these things. I can't even help it. It's what keeps me living.


    Sounds more like Ni.
    Ne would say observe how an Alarm against a person's current condition can result in numerous, unrelated themes.
    Are you sure you aren't biased against Ne? There has to be a common thread among the themes, otherwise, the connection isn't even there. At least, that's how I perceive it.

    Alright, would someone's Ne prompt the following scenario:

    The doctor asks me "On a scale of 1-10, how much do you hurt?"

    I want to say "I don't know. What is your perception of 1 or 10? There is no way I can accurately describe my pain level because there are so many perceptions and types of pain."

    However, I just say "6" because I know the doctor just wants an answer so he can move on with treating me.

    Or is this some sort of fusion between Ne and Ni?

  7. #177
    That chalkboard guy Matthew_Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    xxxx
    Posts
    1,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Yes, I hear that Aldous Huxley was also an INFP.
    I've heard the same about John the Savage.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

  8. #178
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    Simulatedworld explains in this thread how his ideas are seen in a Fi+Ne light when they are not supposed to be, while I see the Fi+Ne mindset as a different (and relevant) way of tackling the same individual needs.
    I recognize these differences. Thank you for tackling the needs.

    I don't really know what to say to this, really. Other than that's the way it is.

    You think the Fi+Ne mindset is effective because it allows people to identify with each other, correct?

    While Sim is extremely biased on some emotional level. It's kind of a game for him and he doesn't take it seriously.

    Maybe I'm wrong.

  9. #179
    Obsession. Lethe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni
    Posts
    801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    I do all of these things. I can't even help it. It's what keeps me living.
    Not many individuals completely fit into a MB archetype. It's more or less a mere guidance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Are you sure you aren't biased against Ne? There has to be a common thread among the themes, otherwise, the connection isn't even there. At least, that's how I perceive it.
    Ah, you mean this.

    For classic Ne-ers, they mainly use their inner judgment (Ti & Fi) to connect the dots.
    For classic Ni-ers, they use their outer judgment (Te & Fe) for the connection. The tiny dot connections (Fi/Ti) doesn't matter nearly as much as the conclusion because Ni will create a system for the common threads.

    Example: An ENTJ and INTP are on the opposite ends in a debate. One is trying to get things done (Te) using any method (Ni), while the other is trying to analyze how accurate (Ti+Ne) their reasoning and method is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Alright, would someone's Ne prompt the following scenario:

    The doctor asks me "On a scale of 1-10, how much do you hurt?"

    I want to say "I don't know. What is your perception of 1 or 10? There is no way I can accurately describe my pain level because there are so many perceptions and types of pain."
    The Ni (by itself) would see how all the types of pain fall under the category of "pain".
    The Ne (by itself) would see how general pain results in many types of pain.

    In a normal individual, they would incorporate other preferable functions to balance out the situation so that if they need to discern these subtle differences, they are able to do so. (Re: Mimicking Ne with other functions.)
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

    Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne


    Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

  10. #180
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    Not many individuals completely fit into MB archetype. It's more or less a mere guidance.



    Ah, you mean this.

    For classic Ne-ers, they mainly use their inner judgment (Ti & Fi) to connect the dots.
    For classic Ni-ers, they use their outer judgment (Te & Fe) for the connection. The tiny dot connections (Fi/Ti) doesn't matter nearly as much as the conclusion.
    The former makes more sense to me. My initial response to Brave New World is "Totalitarianism is bad". Then I read 1984 and also say "Totalitarianism is bad."

    Therefore, I can connect the dots and say that both books, while different, fall under a common theme.

    However, I know that both authors obviously had strong convictions against totalitarianism, so who really cares in the end? What is the result?

Similar Threads

  1. Am I an INFP or an INFJ?
    By Kaveri in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-05-2010, 04:39 AM
  2. Why does this subforum turn into gloating about political gains for your own party?
    By simulatedworld in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-23-2009, 09:33 PM
  3. [MBTItm] Turning into an infp.
    By braziljoe in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10-12-2009, 03:24 PM
  4. [ENFP] INFP transitioning into an ENFP
    By Thessaly in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-07-2009, 06:51 PM
  5. Is American Turning into a Third World Democracy?
    By nomadic in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 10-29-2008, 05:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO