User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Default Self Analysis and conclusions - seeking feedback.

I made a page covering part of my self analysis and reasoning for the conclusions I have made, and then added more info to it as a way to describe what I eiahter think I am or should be. I used other facotrs not listed on the page as part of my decision making (posts read here and elsewhere for example), but most of those balanced out roughly equal toward J/P bias and were too numerous to document. I only included a description of INFPs under stress, but I did compare that to the INFJ descriptions from the same source and the INFP descriptions are all things I can look back and see myself having done before (especialy precipitious action).

INFP seems to be the best fit for me, but I would appreciate feedback on how acurate it seems and if I overlooked major issues in reaching my conclusions. The page was made more for general purpose so I touch on things that would be very basic here, those are jsut there for anyone I direct to it with no background in type.

Self Reflection

Thanks for any feedback on my conclusions.

MBTI
    GONE

Um, just a basic observation but the fact that you summarized your findings and posted them for others to review -- this makes me think you have a STRONG 'T' function.

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Um, just a basic observation but the fact that you summarized your findings and posted them for others to review -- this makes me think you have a STRONG 'T' function.
    Or just the person is Introverted, or Introverted and iNtrospective (particularly an Introverted iNtrospective Judger).

**I am not really sure iNtrospection is a good N characterization. A preference for abstraction seems to be more universal.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I do believe I have developed thinking and use it often (mostly in either work or recreation activites), but my values are more in line with NF than NT (something I address in my self analysis page). I would be interested to see how many INFPs consider themselves very analytical with a lot of T tendencies.

I would consider introverted and introspective to be very appropriate words to describe me. I think introspection has more to do with introversion than intuition. I think of introspection as internalizing and analyzing my thoughts which I do with both feeling and thinking. I think of intuition as imagining what is not, but could be (which I also do).

For added info, these are the results of the most recent time I've taken the cognitive processes test (I've taken that test several times with mixed results but the order is roughly the same each time)

extraverted Sensing (Se) - (23.2) - limited use
    introverted Sensing (Si) - (20.7) - limited use
    extraverted Intuiting (Ne) - (35.2) - good use
    introverted Intuiting (Ni) - (37.2) - excellent use
    extraverted Thinking (Te) - (18.8) - limited use
    introverted Thinking (Ti) - (26.1) - average use
    extraverted Feeling (Fe) - (29.1) - average use
    introverted Feeling (Fi) - (50.3) - excellent use

I've heard others say the cognitive processes test is usually constant for them, but constantly wrong in that it gives them a type that they do not agree with, but in my case, it does point to INFP.

MBTI
    INTJ

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TenebrousReflection View Post
    ... For added info, these are the results of the most recent time I've taken the cognitive processes test (I've taken that test several times with mixed results but the order is roughly the same each time)

I've heard others say the cognitive processes test is usually constant for them, but constantly wrong in that it gives them a type that they do not agree with, but in my case, it does point to INFP.
    I concur. I have taken that test 3 times and come out INTP each time, yet I have practically no P whatsoever. I am very strongly J and I don't know why it keeps getting me wrong. So I wouldn't give those test results too much weight.

I can't remember. Are you male or female?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by TenebrousReflection View Post
    I do believe I have developed thinking and use it often (mostly in either work or recreation activites), but my values are more in line with NF than NT (something I address in my self analysis page). I would be interested to see how many INFPs consider themselves very analytical with a lot of T tendencies.

I would consider introverted and introspective to be very appropriate words to describe me. I think introspection has more to do with introversion than intuition. I think of introspection as internalizing and analyzing my thoughts which I do with both feeling and thinking. I think of intuition as imagining what is not, but could be (which I also do).

For added info, these are the results of the most recent time I've taken the cognitive processes test (I've taken that test several times with mixed results but the order is roughly the same each time)

That test isn't accurate... the definitions aren't exactly the same as generally accepted ones. For instance, anyone with a little curiosity and decent logic skills is going to get a high Ti score.

Ti -- 44.7 (excellent use)
    Ni -- 40.3 (excellent use)
    Fe -- 38.5 (excellent use)
    Ne -- 34.4 (good use)
    Si -- 27.3 (average use)
    Fi -- 19.9 (limited use)
    Te -- 19.1 (limited use)
    Se -- 16.2 (limited use)

I'm an INFJ... Ti is my tertiary function, so it couldn't be that high up. The definition of Ti in the test was obviously too simplistic/inaccurate.

That being said... I think you're INFx. Let me ask you a question:

Are you more focused on other's feelings towards you in a situation, or your own feelings about things in general?

MBTI
    INTJ

Here's another web site that is really helpful:
    Myers Briggs Personality Types

MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Here's another web site that is really helpful:
    Myers Briggs Personality Types
    Thanks!

Thats one I'd not seen before, very interesting.
    (not sure how to make a table and have it properly formated, so heres the results in just numeric form sorted by % in descending order.)

INFP 86%
    INFJ 82%
    ISFP 72% (interesting... buf ISFP would also have Fi Dominant so it makes sense)
    INTJ 70%
    ENFP 69%
    INTP 62%
    ENFJ 61%
    ENTP 58%
    ISFJ 50%
    ISTP 47%
    ESFJ 46%
    ISTJ 39%
    ESFP 38%
    ENTJ 36%
    ESTP 26%
    ESTJ 22%

From this table, you can see that the two highest scoring types are INFP and INFJ. This doesn't rule out the other types. But those are the two that are closest when we 'pattern match' your questionnaire results with each of the 16 personality types

Differences between INFP and INFJ
    It may help you work out your type if we compare the similarities and differences between INFP and INFJ.

One important thing to look at is which preferences 'dominate' the personality. Carl Jung and Isabel Briggs Myers said there is a 'dominant function'. What this means, in simple terms, is that two of the letters in the type code are much more important than the others.

For people with INFP preferences, the most important letters are I and F. For people with INFJ preferences, the most important letters are I and N. This means that there is a very important difference between INFP and INFJ. The letters in the type code that are particularly important for them are different, or they have different 'dominant functions'.

The Dominant Function
    For INFP the most important preferences are Introverted Feeling. Your 'dominant function' is Feeling, oriented towards the inner world. This means you give importance to particular thoughts, ideas, or beliefs. You are value driven, and you often bring a sense of priority that is derived from your strong convictions. You seize upon and emphasise ideas or thoughts that have the greatest import, bringing them to the fore and stressing their significance. You assess the inherent value or importance of new ideas and beliefs, focusing on those about which you feel most strongly.

For INFJ, however, the most important preferences are Introverted Intuitiion. Your 'dominant function' is Intuition, oriented towards the inner world. You use your imagination to create new and different ideas and perspectives. You observe the world around you, and use your imagination to consider what you have observed from a number of different perspectives. You dream up new ideas and insights, often producing radical solutions to problems. You have a long term vision, and demonstrate an apparent understanding of what (as far as other people are concerned) cannot be clearly known.

Preference Differences
    INFP and INFJ differ in Judgement/Perception. This preference is about your lifestyle. If you prefer your life to be planned, stable and organised then your preference is for Judging (not to be confused with 'Judgemental', which is quite different). If you prefer to go with the flow, to maintain flexibility and respond to things as they arise, then your preference is for Perception.

Everybody uses both sides of the preferences at times, depending on the circumstances. But the difference between the two personality types is your natural inclination. That is, which would you prefer to do in a situation of free choice?

'Whole Type' Differences
    Another way to help decide between two (or more) personality types is to look at the descriptions of each one.

As an analogy, you can't always tell which country someone comes from by listening to the words they use. If they use French words when speaking, they might be from France or Belgium or Canada or many other countries. To work out where someone comes from you have to listen to the whole person: the language, the accent, the behaviour, etc..

In a similar way, sometimes you cannot tell someone's personality type by looking at individual behaviours. You need to look at the whole person. You can then work out your type by comparison with some descriptions of the personality types.

Final Notes
    Carl Jung said: 'every individual is an exception to the rule'.

You are a unique individual. The personality types can help you to orient yourself as you find your way around your personality. They also provide a language (a label) that helps you explore your identity.

However, personality types are not meant to put you in a box. Some people misuse the concept of personality type by saying that if you are ABC type, then you must be good at doing XYZ. Some people also make judgements about others on the basis of their personality type, e.g.: in recruitment. Such judgements are mistakes, made through ignorance.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Hmmmm from reading through what you wrote... your thinking style/approach seems awfully like my own. For example, in the way you outline information... it's very structured. Also J/P distinction for INXJs can get a little murky. With our dominant Ni, planning and organization occurs mostly within our heads. Inferior Se can lead to messy desk, rooms... being late because we're so engross in something that we've forgotten the time etc. So typical J/P questions might not work very well. For example, even though I know I'm an INFJ, test results say I should be a P 60% of the time.

So think about how you figure things out in your head. Are you more likely to learn, approach something with the intention of applying it or do you just learn it because you think it's interesting?

MBTI
    INTJ

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    The NF methodical organizational perfectionistic characteristics can look like that, too though, I think.

I'm leaning toward "J" since T.R. seems to be driven toward closure.