User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    That test isn't accurate... the definitions aren't exactly the same as generally accepted ones. For instance, anyone with a little curiosity and decent logic skills is going to get a high Ti score.

Ti -- 44.7 (excellent use)
    Ni -- 40.3 (excellent use)
    Fe -- 38.5 (excellent use)
    Ne -- 34.4 (good use)
    Si -- 27.3 (average use)
    Fi -- 19.9 (limited use)
    Te -- 19.1 (limited use)
    Se -- 16.2 (limited use)

I'm an INFJ... Ti is my tertiary function, so it couldn't be that high up. The definition of Ti in the test was obviously too simplistic/inaccurate.

That being said... I think you're INFx. Let me ask you a question:

Are you more focused on other's feelings towards you in a situation, or your own feelings about things in general?
    I tried to keep the intent of the test in mind and based it on my comfort level with the statements and gave lower scores to the ones that gave me any hesitation, and the mores hesitation, the lower score I gave, so I got low Ti and Te scores on it.

Most of the time, my own, but in the case of close friends, I put them before myself (I can only think of 3 friends and my sister that fall into that category tho). I do try to not be selfish and be considerate of others feelings and desires, but I also try not to neglect my own needs anymore. Heres a lyric that reflects that a bit (a bit out of context but gets the meanign I think)...

Rearranging by L'Ame Immortelle

I cared to much for people´s thoughts
    And forgot about my own
    If I´d continue to suit their needs
    I´d loose the treasure that I own
    My powers focused, they shall be
    To treat my treasure properly
    Missed the question of gender. I am Male

MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Hmmmm from reading through what you wrote... your thinking style/approach seems awfully like my own. For example, in the way you outline information... it's very structured. Also J/P distinction for INXJs can get a little murky. With our dominant Ni, planning and organization occurs mostly within our heads. Inferior Se can lead to messy desk, rooms... being late because we're so engross in something that we've forgotten the time etc. So typical J/P questions might not work very well. For example, even though I know I'm an INFJ, test results say I should be a P 60% of the time.

So think about how you figure things out in your head. Are you more likely to learn, approach something with the intention of applying it or do you just learn it because you think it's interesting?
    Ya, I've read enough about J/P in regards to INFx that I felt looking at how the functions are used made more sense for determining that, and since Fi and Ni both seem pretty strong to me and Ne and Fe both feel about equal, its still a tough call with a bit of leaning toward Fi/Ne combo of INFP.

I approach learning from having a desire to understand how/why things work. If something/someone makes me curious, I'll put some effort into learning more about it/them, sometimes just the basics, sometimes I devour all the information I can find or learn without making my head hurt from information overload (which has happened a few times trying to learn and understand MBTI theories). When I'm learning to accomplish a goal, the importance of the goal determines how much effort I put into it (if its a personal goal, I put a lot of effort, if its work related, I just learn what I need to unless its also something that intrigues me).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Since you say you used to neglect your own needs, does that mean it was more natural for you to focus on other people's perception of you? In other words, does what people think of your actions usually impact your self-image or choices much, or did it used to?

MBTI
    INTJ

You ask great questions, athenian.

MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Since you say you used to neglect your own needs, does that mean it was more natural for you to focus on other people's perception of you? In other words, does what people think of your actions usually impact your self-image or choices much, or did it used to?
    No, how others perceive me is a minor concern/value (I am somewhat concerned about it but don't put much effort toward it), but what I was referring to was that I used to be more concerned with doing whatever I could for even casual acquaintances than I was for myself. (As aspect attributed to ISFJs)

edit: I do put a much higher priority on how close friends perceive me, but my original comment was based on putting casual acquaintances desires before my own.

ISFJ Profile
    ISFJs are characterized above all by their desire to serve others, their "need to be needed." In extreme cases, this need is so strong that standard give-and-take relationships are deeply unsatisfying to them
    Thats how I used to act for a long time, now I reserve that attitude for the people I care most about.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

ISFJs are characterized above all by their desire to serve others, their "need to be needed." In extreme cases, this need is so strong that standard give-and-take relationships are deeply unsatisfying to them
    I think the drive to serve other people are deeply related to Fe... basically I think Athenian is trying to see how readily you use Fe. The example you give for putting other people's needs ahead of your own would be Fe.

What about values? How important are they to you? Also how do you feel when your own crashes with those of a person you care a lot about?

MBTI
    INFJ

I'd like to ask you two questions:

1. How would you care for a person in deep distress?

2. What aspect of your personality has been recognized over the course of your life as the source of your greatest achievements?
    "We don't see things as they are,
    we see things as we are."
    ...Anais Nin

From “Was That Really Me?” by Naomi L. Quenk
    This was really good. I've been searching for something to give me more insight into my inferior Te for a while. Thank you TenebrousReflection.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Eve View Post
    This was really good. I've been searching for something to give me more insight into my inferior Te for a while. Thank you TenebrousReflection.
    Yes, I agree.

I actually impulsively ordered the book last night because I thought the description of inferior Te was so good and I wanted to read about inferior Se.
    "We don't see things as they are,
    we see things as we are."
    ...Anais Nin

Quote Originally Posted by tovlo View Post
    Yes, I agree.

I actually impulsively ordered the book last night because I thought the description of inferior Te was so good and I wanted to read about inferior Se.

Hi Tovlo! Good to have you here

I will order that book too. It explains so well some of my reactions.