• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I intp (existentialistcat)?

alpaca

MBTI Type
INTP
This is something I've been wondering about for a while, and whether it's needless questioning/unimportant/unanswerable, I'm putting it to you anyway.

I'll be easy to observe because I have videos on youtube here: YouTube - existentialistcat's Channel. My question is, am I really INTP? I'm starting to wonder, based on the way other INTPs act on this board, and INTPs like this: YouTube - barcode9588's Channel who seem to embody the type better.

The thing is, I'm not good at math or remembering nuggets of information unless it pertains to a conceptual model of interest (of which I have a limited number). I'm also not asocial exactly, and see logic as a means to an ends-- that is, emotional growth and happiness. I do still make decisions first based on the reasonable thing to do, which is often dominant over what I want emotionally. But that is merely delayed gratification. However, sometimes it takes me a long time to process what I'm feeling, and I'm good at controlling it (except for in my rare relationships).

Sometimes I also feel that there are great expectations for INTPs that I won't be able to fulfill, especially when it comes to being masters of logic. I'm good at it in real world situations, but I didn't do as well in the class :(

However in defense of the typing, I'm absent-minded but very good at understanding broad concepts. There's no doubt that I value logic over emotion, but I see this as somewhat of a fault. I "over-analyze" everything that is of interest, and enjoy talking to myself to sort out ideas and to find consistency. I'm obsessed with consistency. Not being religious, it is the only comfort I have haha. I'm also pretty quiet by nature, and I'm always hearing that people cannot for the life of them figure me out. I'm interested in refection and knowing myself, because that's how I can understand reality since I'm the one processing it.

On the other hand: I'm more interested in the inner workings of people than math, and I'm actually pretty good at reading social situations. I'm also good at acting, though I'm very bad at lying. This is a recent development though; I used to be a very awkward, asocial child. Also used to be a prodigy but now just "kinda smart for my age" :blush:

I've tested INTP five times over a two year period, but recently it's changed some. Mostly the I, and some of the T have been leveling out a bit.

I'm genuinely interested to know if I'm mistyped in that my type is learned (or if this is why MBTI is not a perfect system).

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You have INTP eyes.

I'll get back to you in half an hour. Stuck on the eyes for the moment, unable to move on for now.

edit: After seeing your movie about consciousness and actually kept me interested based on what you were saying says enough. You are INTP. Generally, movies of people talking about stuff on youtube only keep me interested for about 3-6 seconds.

By the way, belief transcends knowledge when it comes to the notion of free will. It's not wether or not free will is truely existant. And I would agree it's questionable and most likely to be nothing more than a brain fart. Someone believing he/she has free will, will automatically live life much happier and would more easily be consent with the choice they are given. Even though it's not hard to see that we're constrained by common sense and societies boundaries.

INTP's often look outside of the box, beyond the mere choices we are given. And go above the notion of free will. And for us, being able to do that is our free will. For none rationalists this however is beyond their natural understanding. And prefer to have the beginner's version of free will.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Um, you'd be surprised to see how often people use your videos as an example of INTP females. In fact, I think there is a thread on this site. I'll link it if I can find it.

Edit: Here it is. I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned at least a couple of other times. Definitely at a lot of other type forums.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
Honestly you don't seem like a heavy thinker, maybe INXP? Yea that carcode girl is freggin annoying too, I can't stand watching more than 10 seconds of her videos.

alpaca

MBTI Type
INTP
Really? I saw a thread once on my videos, and people were arguing that I was definitely INFP. Made me doubt myself, but it also got on my nerves because I thought they were basing it on my being a girl.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Honestly you don't seem like a heavy thinker, maybe INXP?

You think so? The vid about consciousness would suggest otherwise. I'll look into the others sometime later. :p

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
You think so? The vid about consciousness would suggest otherwise. I'll look into the others sometime later. :p

umm so it's impossible for an infp to talk about consciousness? I think not. I didn't watch her video but I'm just saying...

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
By the way, it's not uncommon for INTP's to also develop Fi, from the instinctual desire to belong and deal with life. Which may confuse INTP's and INFP's. I myself have a very high Fi for example.

Ofcourse don't know if Alpaca has a high Fi. Still, just saying, INTP's can have chameleon INFP-like traits. :p

umm so it's impossible for an infp to talk about consciousness? I think not. I didn't watch her video but I'm just saying...

Ofcourse they can, but they wouldn't from such a peculiar INTP like rational yet outside of the box thoughts train.

alpaca

MBTI Type
INTP
You have INTP eyes.

I'll get back to you in half an hour. Stuck on the eyes for the moment, unable to move on for now.

edit: After seeing your movie about consciousness and actually kept me interested based on what you were saying says enough. You are INTP. Generally, movies of people talking about stuff on youtube only keep me interested for about 3-6 seconds.

By the way, belief transcends knowledge when it comes to the notion of free will. It's not wether or not free will is truely existant. And I would agree it's questionable and most likely to be nothing more than a brain fart. Someone believing he/she has free will, will automatically live life much happier and would more easily be consent with the choice they are given. Even though it's not hard to see that we're constrained by common sense and societies boundaries.

INTP's often look outside of the box, beyond the mere choices we are given. And go above the notion of free will. And for us, being able to do that is our free will. For none rationalists this however is beyond their natural understanding. And prefer to have the beginner's version of free will.

I agree. It surprises me how many people don't consider compatibilism as an alternative to the black/white dichotomy of free will and determinism. I think people are pitting a physical phenomenon against a conceptual, and don't realize that all determinism is indicating is that our "will" is caused. Our thoughts are caused. What's wrong with that, anyway? It's not like we're prisoners.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
What indicates "heavy thinking?"

an objective attitude and monotone voice is usually a good indicator. That barcode girl is a much better example of female intp in my opinion.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Honestly you don't seem like a heavy thinker, maybe INXP?

Heh, coming from the guy who tried to make us think that rice in a jar would turn black if I called it a fool.

Alpaca, I don't know if you're INTP or not, but I can tell you right now that math is certainly not one of my favorite subjects. I am in a straight up humanities program and there are at least two other NTs that could care less about math. It's just one of those things where, if you are into math concepts or more advanced pure logic, then there's a good chance you're NT. But just because you're NT doesn't mean you'll be into those subjects, necessarily.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
Heh, coming from the guy who tried to make us think that rice in a jar would turn black if I called it a fool.

Alpaca, I don't know if you're INTP or not, but I can tell you right now that math is certainly not one of my favorite subjects. I am in a straight up humanities program, and there are at least two other NTs that could care less about math. It's just one of those things where, if you are into math concepts or more advanced pure logic, then there's a good chance you're NT. But just because you're NT doesn't mean you'll be into those subjects, necessarily.

Don't knock it till you try it.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh yeah, INTP's do have natural ability when it comes to math. But you see, there's this thing called practicality that can totally screw us over.

Math, specifically advanced math, just doesn't appear practical or seems of interest to us. And therefor we seem to lack in math. Whereas practical sciences we excel.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I second what Orangey said about NTs and math. I'm pretty terrible at it myself, but had I taken a keener interest in it, I might have become good at it. I chose other studies.

I "over-analyze" everything that is of interest, and enjoy talking to myself to sort out ideas and to find consistency. I'm obsessed with consistency.

That sounds like prime Ti in my opinion.

I think he meant that the video suggested heavy thinking...:doh:

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The main problem I'm having when I'm over analyzing things is that I now often end up with thoughts I've already analyzed, and end up with nothing to do.

... Thought about that too already. :(

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
I agree. It surprises me how many people don't consider compatibilism as an alternative to the black/white dichotomy of free will and determinism. I think people are pitting a physical phenomenon against a conceptual, and don't realize that all determinism is indicating is that our "will" is caused. Our thoughts are caused. What's wrong with that, anyway? It's not like we're prisoners.

Yes, you're an NT. I couldn't answer with that complex of a response with cold analysis like that.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting, the more I see, the more I see myself. At least my serious side that is. I've no doubt you are INTP. :D

...Now I just need to think of a plan on how to make you my protégé. :whistling:

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
Interesting, the more I see, the more I see myself. At least my serious side that is. I've no doubt you are INTP. :D

...Now I just need to think of a plan on how to make you my protégé. :whistling:

Yea I noticed that was your underlying motive. Maybe you wern't being very objective in your analysis of her type after all.