User Tag List

First 456

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca View Post
    Well that is a very interesting idea, I think you may be on to something there with the idea that I might be using more Ne. I don't believe in right or wrong apart from a pragmatic sense. I feel much more like an INTP than an INFP (I have friends who are and can tell the difference). It's just that I don't behave like a typical INTP (I think).

Thanks for the welcome Ah, Luna. She's so spacey!
    I also welcome you to the forum.

I was going to say you remind me of OUR Luna, LunaLuminosity. She self-types as INTP as well.

I believe people should be allowed to "be" whatever type they choose, because there will be elements of truth in whatever they decide first.

Your speech pattern matches what I have come to expect from INTPs but I only have a "vibe" about that.

You may want to explore temperament theory if you really want to distinguish between INFP and INTP (besides just the F-T dichotomy). The two types have a lot in common, but the core needs (beyond the basic human ones) are rather different. Granted as human beings we will have the needs reflected in all four temperaments, but through self-exploration (as long as you are honest with yourself) I think most people can determine what fits best.

NTs: Mastery & Self-Control, Knowledge and Competence
    NFs: Meaning & Significance, Unique Identity

Your adherence to compatabilism despite the evidence you pointed to (in your consciousness video alone) being mostly on the determinism side, may be an indication that the NT need for Self-Control is asserting itself.

Incidentally, I am a compabilist myself. But I admit that my need for self-control is what keeps the free-will option open. There are no lab experiments that I know of that comes down on the side of free-will, but like denying the existence of God, we are far from having a strong inductive argument against the existence of free-will.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Well that was a refreshingly honest answer. The people who have said that you seem INFP so far have not really given a justification other than "vibes" or "you remind me of an INFP I know." And while that's fine and everything, and sometimes turns out to be an accurate method (I use it, too), I have a suspicion that these INFP vibes have been generated by a combination of the following: (1) the fact that you come off in the vids as very serene and dreamy, and (2) you are a female, which makes it more likely that you're INFP and not INTP.
    Yep. That's exactly why, I think. I almost thought the same thing for a moment at first, but then I realized what you said in the second paragraph:

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I think that's fishy, though, because with so many shared traits between the two types, like introversion (which would explain your overall quietness) and extraverted intuition (which would explain the dreaminess), it's foolhardy to use those as criteria for distinguishing one from the other. And the female = F thing, which hasn't been explicitly expressed but which I'm sure has played at least a small part in people's calculation of your type (how could it not, with INTPs being so overwhelmingly male?), is not convincing unless it's coupled with other strong indicators that you are an F type. Which we have yet to see.

So until otherwise convincingly argued, I will default to INTP.
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    There is a lovely poster here named OrangeAppled that is an INFP, but comes across very much what people usually describe as INTP, probably because of the posting style of people over on INFPgc, but like I said, you have to be so careful with falling into that.
    How did I miss this post?

How do I seem INTP? Spill it!
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca View Post
    This is something I've been wondering about for a while, and whether it's needless questioning/unimportant/unanswerable, I'm putting it to you anyway.

I'll be easy to observe because I have videos on youtube here: YouTube - existentialistcat's Channel. My question is, am I really INTP? I'm starting to wonder, based on the way other INTPs act on this board, and INTPs like this: YouTube - barcode9588's Channel who seem to embody the type better.

The thing is, I'm not good at math or remembering nuggets of information unless it pertains to a conceptual model of interest (of which I have a limited number). I'm also not asocial exactly, and see logic as a means to an ends-- that is, emotional growth and happiness. I do still make decisions first based on the reasonable thing to do, which is often dominant over what I want emotionally. But that is merely delayed gratification. However, sometimes it takes me a long time to process what I'm feeling, and I'm good at controlling it (except for in my rare relationships).

Sometimes I also feel that there are great expectations for INTPs that I won't be able to fulfill, especially when it comes to being masters of logic. I'm good at it in real world situations, but I didn't do as well in the class

However in defense of the typing, I'm absent-minded but very good at understanding broad concepts. There's no doubt that I value logic over emotion, but I see this as somewhat of a fault. I "over-analyze" everything that is of interest, and enjoy talking to myself to sort out ideas and to find consistency. I'm obsessed with consistency. Not being religious, it is the only comfort I have haha. I'm also pretty quiet by nature, and I'm always hearing that people cannot for the life of them figure me out. I'm interested in refection and knowing myself, because that's how I can understand reality since I'm the one processing it.

On the other hand: I'm more interested in the inner workings of people than math, and I'm actually pretty good at reading social situations. I'm also good at acting, though I'm very bad at lying. This is a recent development though; I used to be a very awkward, asocial child. Also used to be a prodigy but now just "kinda smart for my age"

I've tested INTP five times over a two year period, but recently it's changed some. Mostly the I, and some of the T have been leveling out a bit.

I'm genuinely interested to know if I'm mistyped in that my type is learned (or if this is why MBTI is not a perfect system).

I had the same situation. Recently I came to conclusion I was an INFJ. After INFJ, INTP is what I relate to the most. You might be an INFX with a well developed Ti. My enneagram is also 5w4 reiterating my intellectual side. It is very possible to be intellectual and emotionally aware (It's funny, I really feel like NTs believe that NFs are not as capable of being as intelligent as they are). I bolded the parts in what you said that reminds me of INFJness or to a lesser extent INFXness...

INFJs I believe might be the hardest type to pinpoint. They are probably the most complex out of the types. The reason being because often our Ni-Ti axis (making you seem very INTPish, Ti is their dominant function) takes precedence over the Fe. However, the Fe still has its say.
    To put it simply: You may find yourself single-minded and obsessive about analyzing/doing something you are interested in. At the say time you are socially competent, amiable, and relatable with people yet remain aloof, though not cold. In friend relationships you are most likely to take the role of advice giver, and do not really talk about yourself/your emotions. You factor emotion/people, AND logic into your world view as a means to an end. To others you are an enigma. You might even feel this way about yourself sometimes.

The standard functions for INFJs go like this: Ni, Fe, Ti, Fi, Se, Ne, Fi, Te, Si

Mine are: Ni, Ti, Fe=Fi, Ne, Se, Si=Te

This describes the functions: INFJ - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Look to understanding your functions to type yourself. You may be thinking "There is no way I'm a J! (I definitely thought this at first)" But for INFJs it is less about external and mostly about internal organization. The part you said about consistency really points to this. I realize I create structure in my mind. I also usually need structure to get things done in life because my thoughts are so overwhelming and all over the place that if I didn't have it I would not accomplish anything.

A decent description:
    INFJ - The Mystic

Here is a good description of INTPness (I really relate to this and it makes me question my type still...):http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...p-profile.html

and here is a thread I made recently about it :http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...yped-intp.html

Can you relate to any of this?

You know you're an INFJ when...

you try to find common ground with everyone, and can pretty much relate to everyone on some level.

you feel for people to a fault.

everything happens for a reason...even if the reason is so complex that it appears random.

you question your sanity daily.

people tell you are "magical".

people tell you have a "beautiful spirit".

people tell you "you keep it real".

people don't "get" you or don't understand why you do what you do.

sometimes you don't "get" yourself.

your mind is like a tapestry.

you don't fit in anywhere.

you were always a bit of a loner.

lots of people like you and you don't know why because it's not like you've disclosed a lot of information with them/open up to them.

life is the most interesting journey, ever.
    you might want to look into enneagrams too... I suspect you are either 5w4 or 4w5...

Wow, I just threw a lot of information at you...but if you are at all like me this will be interesting to try and figure out.

I think you are a strong contender for INFJ, IMO.
    Unfortunately, I am still not 100% about my type...both fit well but I think INFJ fits better. What I read about INFJs/ talking to other INFJs resonates more deeply.
    I really hope this helps in some way because figuring out type can be confusing...the process really helps you understand yourself better though

I'd actually seen one of your videos before on youtube. My first guess was ENFP, from what you discuss, how you approach it, etc. You talk like an INFP or INTP though; there isn't that crazy burst of clarity and new connections after the pauses that Ne doms do.

You seem similar to a few other INTPs I've met also. And type 5 enneagram is the INTP type. Type 4 is the INFP one though...
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    I think you are a strong contender for INFJ, IMO.
    Unfortunately, I am still not 100% about my type...both fit well but I think INFJ fits better. What I read about INFJs/ talking to other INFJs resonates more deeply.
    I really hope this helps in some way because figuring out type can be confusing...the process really helps you understand yourself better though
    Mmmm, she's more Ne than Ni. I can't fathom a Ni dominant being that externally open-ended.

A. Ni: Different starting points, same ending point.
    B. Ne: Same starting point, different ending points.

A. Ni Sample Focus # 1: Various literary archetypes undergo the same thematic obstacles.
    B. Ne Sample Focus # 1: One literary archetype manifests themselves in various characters, who all lead separate lives.

A. Ni Sample Focus # 2: All the characters who share these traits contribute to an archetype -- Byronic heroes, supervillains, crones, etc.
    B. Ne Sample Focus # 2: A character who has this trait is comparable to another character, which leads to this character and so on.
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    Mmmm, she's more Ne than Ni. I can't fathom a Ni dominant being that externally open-ended.

A. Ni: Different starting points, same ending point.
    B. Ne: Same starting point, different ending points.

A. Ni Sample Focus # 1: Various literary archetypes undergo the same thematic obstacles.
    B. Ne Sample Focus # 1: One literary archetype manifests themselves in various characters, who all lead separate lives.

A. Ni Sample Focus # 2: All the characters who share these traits contribute to an archetype -- Byronic heroes, supervillains, crones, etc.
    B. Ne Sample Focus # 2: A character who has this trait is comparable to another character, which leads to this character and so on.
    Perhaps you are correct.
    I liked your examples, they really helped me understand the Intuitive functions better.