First 3456 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca View Post
    Because I keep getting told that I'm not INTP, and I was wondering if maybe I learned the type instead of it coming naturally. (Maybe it's because my family values logic and doesn't express emotion openly.) I wanted to see what people would say, out of curiosity. Maybe I want validation as an intp because it's the only group I've ever identified with. Ah well, it's only a test. I don't claim to understand its workings.
    Well that was a refreshingly honest answer. The people who have said that you seem INFP so far have not really given a justification other than "vibes" or "you remind me of an INFP I know." And while that's fine and everything, and sometimes turns out to be an accurate method (I use it, too), I have a suspicion that these INFP vibes have been generated by a combination of the following: (1) the fact that you come off in the vids as very serene and dreamy, and (2) you are a female, which makes it more likely that you're INFP and not INTP.

I think that's fishy, though, because with so many shared traits between the two types, like introversion (which would explain your overall quietness) and extraverted intuition (which would explain the dreaminess), it's foolhardy to use those as criteria for distinguishing one from the other. And the female = F thing, which hasn't been explicitly expressed but which I'm sure has played at least a small part in people's calculation of your type (how could it not, with INTPs being so overwhelmingly male?), is not convincing unless it's coupled with other strong indicators that you are an F type. Which we have yet to see.

So until otherwise convincingly argued, I will default to INTP.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

This is something I've been wondering about for a while, and whether it's needless questioning/unimportant/unanswerable, I'm putting it to you anyway.

I'll be easy to observe because I have videos on youtube here: YouTube - existentialistcat's Channel. My question is, am I really INTP? I'm starting to wonder, based on the way other INTPs act on this board, and INTPs like this: YouTube - barcode9588's Channel who seem to embody the type better.

The thing is, I'm not good at math or remembering nuggets of information unless it pertains to a conceptual model of interest (of which I have a limited number). I'm also not asocial exactly, and see logic as a means to an ends-- that is, emotional growth and happiness. I do still make decisions first based on the reasonable thing to do, which is often dominant over what I want emotionally. But that is merely delayed gratification. However, sometimes it takes me a long time to process what I'm feeling, and I'm good at controlling it (except for in my rare relationships).

Sometimes I also feel that there are great expectations for INTPs that I won't be able to fulfill, especially when it comes to being masters of logic. I'm good at it in real world situations, but I didn't do as well in the class

However in defense of the typing, I'm absent-minded but very good at understanding broad concepts. There's no doubt that I value logic over emotion, but I see this as somewhat of a fault. I "over-analyze" everything that is of interest, and enjoy talking to myself to sort out ideas and to find consistency. I'm obsessed with consistency. Not being religious, it is the only comfort I have haha. I'm also pretty quiet by nature, and I'm always hearing that people cannot for the life of them figure me out. I'm interested in refection and knowing myself, because that's how I can understand reality since I'm the one processing it.

On the other hand: I'm more interested in the inner workings of people than math, and I'm actually pretty good at reading social situations. I'm also good at acting, though I'm very bad at lying. This is a recent development though; I used to be a very awkward, asocial child. Also used to be a prodigy but now just "kinda smart for my age"

I've tested INTP five times over a two year period, but recently it's changed some. Mostly the I, and some of the T have been leveling out a bit.

I'm genuinely interested to know if I'm mistyped in that my type is learned (or if this is why MBTI is not a perfect system).
    I think you're an INTP. I saw your video on INTJf, and here's what I said about you then:

"Interesting.

I related to the INTP on a certain kind of softness and sense of the complexity of things, but I was extremely frustrated at the pace she spoke at, and she had this kind of personality that makes you constantly want to finish her sentences for her or say, "I get the idea already."

Now as far as the INTJ, I related to the manner in which she spoke and the way she just briefly pointed to an idea, and outlined it enough for you to get and moved on. I didn't really share her odd obsession with being productive towards multiple goals at once, and there was a slight tendency to be a little blunt and informal about the way things affected her in ways I'm usually not. I did find this odd quality rather soothing, though."

I do think you've got a major SFJ shadow. You seem to think far too much about the pointlessness of various social things going on around you rather than actually coming up with thoughts or innovations of your own about things you're interested in. That's actually pretty typical of INTPs, though.

I would also say you seem to spend too much time building up to what you're going to say, hinting at it before unloading it. By the time you've said what you're going to say, people have already guessed roughly the next 10 things you're going to say (because they're fairly typical comments and opinions about gender and social norms) and are just waiting for you to get past the obvious thing you pointed out and make a point regarding how it relates to the specific variation on the idea that you're going to express. Then again, I'm the kind of person who prefers "fast talkers" to "slow talkers," so there are probably people who appreciate that style. Possibly even the ones you grew up around.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by Nunki View Post
    Here you go: the test. There's another version that gives more accurate results, but I wouldn't advise it right now because it's very easy to skew.
    Hmm I came out as intp on that one. I scored equally on Ti and Fi too. So if I'm an intp and I don't think the op is intp then what does that mean?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Well that was a refreshingly honest answer. The people who have said that you seem INFP so far have not really given a justification other than "vibes" or "you remind me of an INFP I know." And while that's fine and everything, and sometimes turns out to be an accurate method (I use it, too), I have a suspicion that these INFP vibes have been generated by a combination of the following: (1) the fact that you come off in the vids as very serene and dreamy, and (2) you are a female, which makes it more likely that you're INFP and not INTP.

I think that's fishy, though, because with so many shared traits between the two types, like introversion (which would explain your overall quietness) and extraverted intuition (which would explain the dreaminess), it's foolhardy to use those as criteria for distinguishing one from the other. And the female = F thing, which hasn't been explicitly expressed but which I'm sure has played at least a small part in people's calculation of your type (how could it not, with INTPs being so overwhelmingly male?), is not convincing unless it's coupled with other strong indicators that you are an F type. Which we have yet to see.

So until otherwise convincingly argued, I will default to INTP.
    Well thanks, I do appreciate that you're trying to keep me honest (That would make you rather intp). I actually get along great with infps, but I'm usually more detached than they are, at least from my experience. My two female friends who are infp are actually more distinctively creative than I am and also more susceptible to criticism. When we do art together, I'm all about painting things realistically while they have their own style. I also seem to have less of a clear identity, but I'm the one usually giving advice while they are the ones who are great at listening and empathizing.

Of course I don't fully subscribe to mbti, but I was touched by the description of intp. So much so that I'm here!

they talked about you on intpcentral, and typed you as INTP

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

If you're not INTP, then who is?

I think people are just used to INTPs that focus more on their Ti, where you don't really see their Ne, but you seem to have plenty of N.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I actually get along great with infps, but I'm usually more detached than they are, at least from my experience. My two female friends who are infp are actually more distinctively creative than I am and also more susceptible to criticism. When we do art together, I'm all about painting things realistically while they have their own style. I also seem to have less of a clear identity, but I'm the one usually giving advice while they are the ones who are great at listening and empathizing.
    And so it is with me and "my" infps, too.
    Ti (43); Ne (41.8); Te (33.7); Fi (30.5); Ni (27.5); Se (24.7); Si (21.5); Fe (17.3)
    The More You Know the Less You Need. - Aboriginal Saying

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I think you're an INTP. I saw your video on INTJf, and here's what I said about you then:

"Interesting.

I related to the INTP on a certain kind of softness and sense of the complexity of things, but I was extremely frustrated at the pace she spoke at, and she had this kind of personality that makes you constantly want to finish her sentences for her or say, "I get the idea already."

Now as far as the INTJ, I related to the manner in which she spoke and the way she just briefly pointed to an idea, and outlined it enough for you to get and moved on. I didn't really share her odd obsession with being productive towards multiple goals at once, and there was a slight tendency to be a little blunt and informal about the way things affected her in ways I'm usually not. I did find this odd quality rather soothing, though."

I do think you've got a major SFJ shadow. You seem to think far too much about the pointlessness of various social things going on around you rather than actually coming up with thoughts or innovations of your own about things you're interested in. That's actually pretty typical of INTPs, though.

I would also say you seem to spend too much time building up to what you're going to say, hinting at it before unloading it. By the time you've said what you're going to say, people have already guessed roughly the next 10 things you're going to say (because they're fairly typical comments and opinions about gender and social norms) and are just waiting for you to get past the obvious thing you pointed out and make a point regarding how it relates to the specific variation on the idea that you're going to express. Then again, I'm the kind of person who prefers "fast talkers" to "slow talkers," so there are probably people who appreciate that style. Possibly even the ones you grew up around.
    Haha yes, I do seem to irk INTJs and their desire of efficiency. That's a good point. I really should be complaining less and coming up with more solutions, but then again I like to have a good grasp of all the facts first.

Oh, I'm guessing you're saying my views on sexism are trite and uninformative. That particular video was made to ask the viewers their opinions, not to share mine. I wanted to see what men and women thought about it, and the reason it surfaces online so much. Got some interesting answers. One women was angry that I was not more outspoken or doing more to fight sexism online, but my views on that are like my views on atheism: you're either solidifying the opposition's resolve or preaching to the choir.

I try to make different kinds of videos, and my latest was on the blue brain project as well as one of Libet's cognition experiments. I mostly like to cast the line to see what people will say. One of my goals is to become more organized and assertive, but I'm taking my time with that

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Chloee View Post
    they talked about you on intpcentral, and typed you as INTP
    Did they? Finally I have the INTPc stamp of approval

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    If you're not INTP, then who is?

I think people are just used to INTPs that focus more on their Ti, where you don't really see their Ne, but you seem to have plenty of N.
    Well I'm glad I asked in the first place because I never thought about it like that