User Tag List

First 23456 Last

PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca View Post
    Thanks It's just.. the stereotypes, and the assumption that I cannot type myself. But I think intp seems most likely to me at this time, if I were to choose any of the 16 types. It's only an indication of temperament, no?
    Your careful questioning of it certainly seems to indicate your temperament.

Here's what Keirsey says about INTPs (Architects):

Architects need not be thought of as only interested in drawing blueprints for buildings or roads or bridges. They are the master designers of all kinds of theoretical systems, including school curricula, corporate strategies, and new technologies. For Architects, the world exists primarily to be analyzed, understood, explained - and re-designed. External reality in itself is unimportant, little more than raw material to be organized into structural models. What is important for Architects is that they grasp fundamental principles and natural laws, and that their designs are elegant, that is, efficient and coherent.

Architects are rare - maybe one percent of the population - and show the greatest precision in thought and speech of all the types. They tend to see distinctions and inconsistencies instantaneously, and can detect contradictions no matter when or where they were made. It is difficult for an Architect to listen to nonsense, even in a casual conversation, without pointing out the speaker's error. And in any serious discussion or debate Architects are devastating, their skill in framing arguments giving them an enormous advantage. Architects regard all discussions as a search for understanding, and believe their function is to eliminate inconsistencies, which can make communication with them an uncomfortable experience for many.

Ruthless pragmatists about ideas, and insatiably curious, Architects are driven to find the most efficient means to their ends, and they will learn in any manner and degree they can. They will listen to amateurs if their ideas are useful, and will ignore the experts if theirs are not. Authority derived from office, credential, or celebrity does not impress them. Architects are interested only in what make sense, and thus only statements that are consistent and coherent carry any weight with them.

Architects often seem difficult to know. They are inclined to be shy except with close friends, and their reserve is difficult to penetrate. Able to concentrate better than any other type, they prefer to work quietly at their computers or drafting tables, and often alone. Architects also become obsessed with analysis, and this can seem to shut others out. Once caught up in a thought process, Architects close off and persevere until they comprehend the issue in all its complexity. Architects prize intelligence, and with their grand desire to grasp the structure of the universe, they can seem arrogant and may show impatience with others who have less ability, or who are less driven.
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    By the way, it's not uncommon for INTP's to also develop Fi, from the instinctual desire to belong and deal with life. Which may confuse INTP's and INFP's. I myself have a very high Fi for example..
    So do I.

On to the original post

The thing is, I'm not good at math
    Many of us aren't
    or remembering nuggets of information unless it pertains to a conceptual model of interest
    Me too; though I have more than a few.
    It's probably why I often suck at remembering people's names.
    I'm also not asocial exactly
    There are degrees of introversion and even then many of us are not asocial - we simply prize our alone time. You mentioned judging by people on the board, and one thing to keep in mind is the demographic of the people who do frequent internet boards - I'd expect more virulent asocials of various types to be far more common than is the general case.

I do still make decisions first based on the reasonable thing to do, which is often dominant over what I want emotionally. But that is merely delayed gratification.
    ditto. but that's the point of using reason - we are not trying to avoid gratification, after all.
    However, sometimes it takes me a long time to process what I'm feeling, and I'm good at controlling it (except for in my rare relationships).
    classic intp

However in defense of the typing, I'm absent-minded but very good at understanding broad concepts.
    ditto.
    There's no doubt that I value logic over emotion, but I see this as somewhat of a fault.
    I sometimes see it as a fault, especially when i see the boneheaded use of logic over emotion where emotion is clearly the more apt tool. All it means is that you are more balanced and do not immaturely deify logic. and that's a good thing.
    I "over-analyze" everything that is of interest, and enjoy talking to myself to sort out ideas and to find consistency. I'm obsessed with consistency.
    ditto. Coherent, robust systems are something of an obsession.
    I'm also pretty quiet by nature, and I'm always hearing that people cannot for the life of them figure me out. I'm interested in refection and knowing myself, because that's how I can understand reality since I'm the one processing it.
    another +1
    Ti (43); Ne (41.8); Te (33.7); Fi (30.5); Ni (27.5); Se (24.7); Si (21.5); Fe (17.3)
    The More You Know the Less You Need. - Aboriginal Saying

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacuss View Post
    So do I.
    We're the bestest happiest bunch in the whole wide world because of it.

~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP

Haha, nothing says enthusiasm like a dancing reggae banana! But I did think about it, and I decided that INTP is the most likely. I do not know why people keep saying INFP, but it just doesn't describe me. I looked into the enneagram today and seem to be described uncannily well by the 5w4. Is that somewhat common for INTPs?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca View Post
    I looked into the enneagram today and seem to be described uncannily well by the 5w4. Is that somewhat common for INTPs?
    It's the most common type for INTPs, with 9 as a distant second and 4 extremely rare.

On a side note, have you taken a cognitive processes test yet? That will give a better idea of your type than almost anything else you can do.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

You seem oddly closed to any suggestion other than INTP despite the fact that you've created a thread questioning your own type. Why did you post this here if you didn't want to hear anything other than the type you already identified as?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nunki View Post
    It's the most common type for INTPs, with 9 as a distant second and 4 extremely rare.

On a side note, have you taken a cognitive processes test yet? That will give a better idea of your type than almost anything else you can do.
    Well then. I'm not sure if I took the cognitive processes test-- do you have a link?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    You seem oddly closed to any suggestion other than INTP despite the fact that you've created a thread questioning your own type. Why did you post this here if you didn't want to hear anything other than the type you already identified as?
    Because I keep getting told that I'm not INTP, and I was wondering if maybe I learned the type instead of it coming naturally. (Maybe it's because my family values logic and doesn't express emotion openly.) I wanted to see what people would say, out of curiosity. Maybe I want validation as an intp because it's the only group I've ever identified with. Ah well, it's only a test. I don't claim to understand its workings.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

Here you go: the test. There's another version that gives more accurate results, but I wouldn't advise it right now because it's very easy to skew.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nunki View Post
    Here you go: the test. There's another version that gives more accurate results, but I wouldn't advise it right now because it's very easy to skew.
    Thanks, I'll try to take it tomorrow. Right now I'm going to get back to reading for a test (I am very distracted )