• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pretty sure I am an ISTP

RogueAgent

MBTI Type
ISTP
Ok,

I am all about my leisure pursuits. I am married with 2 kids and a third that is getting ready to arrive in October. I love my wife and kids, but I THINK about my hobbies and interests. My hobbies tend to be cyclic. I will immerse myself in one or two until it bores me and then I will move into another.

these are my primary interests, in no particular order:
Geocaching
Mountain Biking
Riding my motorcycle
Photography (a newer hobby, which hasn't cycled yet)
video games (console)
video games (computer)
home theater/movie watching
listening to music
guns/going to the range
and others

My latest is working on my private pilot certificate. I am really enjoying gaining greater skill and knowledge with each lesson.

The only future thinking I do is along the lines of "what activity will I be able to do singly or with my wife or wife and kids in the future" "Where will we fly/drive to?" etc. I rarely think about the past (good or bad).

I look forward to the ACTIVITIES and outings I will experience, either alone or with my family. Currently our outings are usually planned 15-20 minutes before we leave on some spur of the moment trip I have come up with. Might be going to one of the three zoos 50+ miles away, or out to eat because I suddenly want king crab, or to the amusement park, or to a movie, go for a scenic drive or the children's or science museum etc. I am definitely spontaneous when it comes to things like that. Life starts to feel stale if I am not out doing something periodically. It is definitely the experiences that I look forward to. I think this puts me squarely as an ISTP, no?

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay, If you are who I think you are (lol, I can't remember clearly without seeing the bond avatar), then I've been pondering over your dilemma a little recently. Differences between ISTJ and ISTP, right?

ISTPs are a particularly odd breed, I've been getting to know one a fair bit. Firstly, he's basically an INTP in thinking terms. I'd say he's quite a gifted example of Ti, he seriously knows how things work and can explain this from basic principles in such a seemingly complex way that it'll blow your mind. When working with anything and everything, he seems to prefer spreading everything everywhere in a logical order that he will clearly recognize. He can be incredibly blunt and straightforward, he's extremely competence focused. Frequently he talks about some of his friends are just ridiculously illogical, and it's always focused on skill. He's quite the perceiver, just recently he was talking about a tyre rack that he and a few of his mates made practically on the go, with absolutely no planning at all. I've showed him the ISTJ profile before, and he said it described him really well, he shares quite a fair few of the traits attributed to ISTJs, particularly the dooms day message that was at the bottom (he went through some issues). The Ti is incredibly clear though, the way he works out everything via logical deduction, he's better at mathematics than I ever was, but then the Se kicked in. As soon as he was given the choice, he started a mechanics apprenticeship. An ISTJ would never do something like that unless they had planned it for ages. ISTJs don't seem to have the same kind of mathematical deduction ability, the Ti might go all over the place when they solve problems, but the ISTJs follow a calmer, more direct route (with far less 'AH HA!' moments). The Ti tends to experiment more with different approaches as well, eliminating them as quickly as they appear.

/rambling ISTP vs ISTJ rant.

I'm not so sure that simply working with machines makes you specifically more ISTP than ISTJ, but as a trend it is extremely common for ISTPs to be into all of those things. I agree with your conclusion, and you are most likely an ISTP :D But anyway, do you relate to INTPs in any way?

Edit: :doh: GAH! okay, I just realized that you are not--- the man I think you am, and that you're really... a rocket man! ROCKET MANNN! burning out his fuse out here... alone ---ahem, you are not who I thought you were, but anyway, there's some quick observations, if you relate to ISTJs, that might back up your conclusions :yes:

RogueAgent

MBTI Type
ISTP
I started a thread in the new member section but though this would be the better place. The other type I sometimes test as is INTP.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
RogueAgent, you are probably ISTP.

ISTJs don't seem to have the same kind of mathematical deduction ability, the Ti might go all over the place when they solve problems, but the ISTJs follow a calmer, more direct route (with far less 'AH HA!' moments). The Ti tends to experiment more with different approaches as well, eliminating them as quickly as they appear.

/rambling ISTP vs ISTJ rant.

Haha hold on, I'm ISTJ and I'm awesome at math. I have a natural gift for it fortunately. But it's true that I usually don't have those 'aha!' moments. ISTJs are usually more direct, step-by-step, and linear than ISTPs. I notice ISTPs can be more ingenious than ISTJs, but ISTJs are generally better students and rely on their knowledge more than creativity/ingenuity.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Yes, I think you are a fellow SP. The cyclic interests, and the spur-of the moment adventures -- I bet most of the ISTPs here could relate to that. Also what you're interested in is very SP; the physical nature of those things. You don't find many INTPs who care about motorcycles or geocaching, for example (although there are a fair share of them that like photography).

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
RogueAgent, you are probably ISTP.

Haha hold on, I'm ISTJ and I'm awesome at math. I have a natural gift for it fortunately. But it's true that I usually don't have those 'aha!' moments. ISTJs are usually more direct, step-by-step, and linear than ISTPs. I notice ISTPs can be more ingenious than ISTJs, but ISTJs are generally better students and rely on their knowledge more than creativity/ingenuity.

You're quite right, most ISTJs make killer mathematicians, I was referring to the style of the mathematics, which you probably did a better job at describing the ISTJ part than I did. "Relying on their knowledge" is what I was trying to say, but couldn't quite put words to it :)