• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

My Enneagram type??

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, everybody worry of course, but the worrying of the 6 is compulsive and enneagram study your egotist compulsion. In the Gut Triad, the compulsion of the 8 is to be strong in the conflict, the compulsion of the 9 is to not really know his position and so to avoid the conflict, the compulsion of the 1 is to be right in the conflict. Their compulsion is to take pride to be right and so they are sure of themselves and take decision easily. The compulsion of the 6 is to doubt about things, to doubt of others, to doubt of themselves. So they are usally more modest and humble than 1 even if sexual 6 ("strength and beauty") tend to be more competitive and exibit cockiness and bravado.

They have constant struggle between join a structured system of rules or social sphere like a 1 in order to calm their anxiety, or be rebelious, open-minded and devil's advocate because of their constant self-doubting mind. 1, of course, tend to be idealist and can be rebellious, but they tend more to be sure that they are in the right camp and not prone to self-doubt about the accuracy of his choice like a 6.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, everybody worry of course, but the worrying of the 6 is compulsive and enneagram study your egotist compulsion. In the Gut Triad, the compulsion of the 8 is to be strong in the conflict, the compulsion of the 9 is to not really know his position and so to avoid the conflict, the compulsion of the 1 is to be right in the conflict. Their compulsion is to take pride to be right and so they are sure of themselves and take decision easily. The compulsion of the 6 is to doubt about things, to doubt of others, to doubt of themselves. So they are usally more modest and humble than 1 even if sexual 6 ("strength and beauty") tend to be more competitive and exibit cockiness and bravado.

They have constant struggle between join a structured system of rules or social sphere like a 1 in order to calm their anxiety, or be rebelious, open-minded and devil's advocate because of their constant self-doubting mind. 1, of course, tend to be idealist and can be rebellious, but they tend more to be sure that they are in the right camp and not prone to self-doubt about the accuracy of his choice like a 6.
Thank you for this post. It's nice to have more details that aren't quite so stereotypical. In fact, it made me even more certain that I'm not a 6. Here are the reasons why:

1. I don't constantly doubt everything, because I generally don't overthink things. And when I do overthink, I notice that I am, and I nip it in the bud (unless I'm overthinking and emotional at the same time, in which case I wallow in my angst).
2. Generally, I follow the system of rules without question, and don't feel conflicted about it. When I do feel rebellious (e.g. against my family), I usually end up frustrated because I "can't" be rebellious (which sounds very much like 1-ish resentment to me).
3. I have very rarely had the type of anxiety that needed to be calmed; it's usually just concern or worry, and nothing more - and it doesn't last long, because I shut it down fairly quickly. (In fact, I'm known for not lingering on very negative emotion for very long; e.g. I can't remember a time when I've cried for longer than twenty minutes or half an hour, and 90% of the time I'm able to shut it down within five or ten minutes of it starting.)

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes EJCC, you look really more 1 then. I even think that I'am more 6ish than you.

1. I don't constantly doubt everything, because I generally don't overthink things.
Well, you must overthink to be a 6.

And when I do overthink, I notice that I am, and I nip it in the bud (unless I'm overthinking and emotional at the same time, in which case I wallow in my angst).

To nip some behaviors in the bud is really oneish! To wallow in your angst sound more 6, but I don't think it's 6 but rather disintegration in 4.

2. Generally, I follow the system of rules without question, and don't feel conflicted about it.
6 are naturally suspicious about authority.

When I do feel rebellious (e.g. against my family), I usually end up frustrated because I "can't" be rebellious (which sounds very much like 1-ish resentment to me).

Why means "can not" be rebellious for you? Does it mean that you prefer to avoid it because your compulsive behavior is to reach perfection above all, or it is because you are afraid of aftermath? 6 think they can't because thay are phobic and are rebellious when they are counterphobic and look like 8 (the Bad Boy). 1 don't do rebellion because they are sure it is a bad behaviour, and rebel when someone have convinced them that it is the best way to act (wich is usually hard to achieve).

3. I have very rarely had the type of anxiety that needed to be calmed; it's usually just concern or worry, and nothing more - and it doesn't last long, because I shut it down fairly quickly. (In fact, I'm known for not lingering on very negative emotion for very long; e.g. I can't remember a time when I've cried for longer than twenty minutes or half an hour, and 90% of the time I'm able to shut it down within five or ten minutes of it starting.)

Yes, I think you are a 1 too.:yes: Have you believed to be a 6 because you have done a test wich have typed you as a 6? Test are not a good way to find your actual enneatype in my opinion.

Just see Enneagram 1 & Enneagram 6 in video to compare:cheese:!

[youtube=fRSB06qpIT0]Enneagram Type 1[/youtube]
[youtube=nUuzAkKxIEY]Enneagram Type 6[/youtube]

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Why means "can not" be rebellious for you? Does it mean that you prefer to avoid it because your compulsive behavior is to reach perfection above all, or it is because you are afraid of aftermath?
Neither. I have rules for myself that are so internalized that I barely think about them, and that rule is an example of that, in that when I want to rebel, I think to myself "I wish I could, but I can't", and I don't even consider why I can't, but instead blindly follow my Fi's internal orders, annoyed but without question. Only when I make an effort and do some introspecting do I realize that there are actually specific rules at all - and even then, I can't quite put my finger on what exactly that rule is. I've thought a lot about why I feel like I can't ever rebel against my parents, and all I can come up with is "If I rebelled, things would be different, and things can't be different, because there's a way things are, and they need to stay that way." Though there's also a need for approval in there (which I attribute to the 2 wing).

Yes, I think you are a 1 too.:yes: Have you believed to be a 6 because you have done a test wich have typed you as a 6? Test are not a good way to find your actual enneatype in my opinion.
I thought I was a 6 because I took a test and came up with a result that didn't even remotely fit me (i.e. 8), and therefore I trusted TypeC people more than I trusted the tests. Since people attributed it to me on this thread, and I related to the concept of avoiding your fears when you don't want to deal with them, I thought of myself as a 6 for a while. Then I actually took the time to read detailed type descriptions that weren't stereotypical and overly touchy-feely, and I realized just how much I relate to the 1 description. Which is great, because when I thought I was a 6, I felt bad about myself for it (since everything bad about sixes is everything I DON'T want to look like), but I'm very comfortable with the idea of being a 1.

I will watch those videos when I have time, but I'm between classes at the moment, and things are a little rushed... :run:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I just watched those videos. I think the fact that the 6 video confused me instead of resonating with me is a good sign that I'm not one.

The impression that I got from the 1 video was that they appear to be strong and upstanding and supremely confident and sure of themselves, but deep inside, there's a voice telling them that if they don't follow their internal code, they'll be worthless. Is that right? I ask because I related to that concept a lot, and I've found that even the people I'm closest to are caught off guard when they find out that I do give myself a hard time, and that the reason why I'm so self-motivated is that I have standards for myself that are so important that failure is simply not an option.

The part of the video that resonated most with me was the one that said that they "create strict moral boundaries for themselves, alienating themselves, making them feel like the world is on their shoulders." That isn't always true for me, but recently I've been under a lot of pressure, and that's been exactly what it's like. (It wasn't moral pressure, though, but I digress.)

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just watched those videos. I think the fact that the 6 video confused me instead of resonating with me is a good sign that I'm not one.

The impression that I got from the 1 video was that they appear to be strong and upstanding and supremely confident and sure of themselves, but deep inside, there's a voice telling them that if they don't follow their internal code, they'll be worthless. Is that right?

Yes. One thing important to know to get a better understanding is that the 1 disintegrate in 4 under stress. When they fail at match their high expectation about themselves, they become moody, dispressed, they are melancholic because they give themselve a hard time, but are wondering if they could match their high standards one day. They can get an inferiority complex. From that state of mind, they can also become arrogant and aristocratic in some sort, just like the 4: they think that there's something like just 5% of peoples in the world who really work hard to be morally decent, and that they are among them. Of course, the true 4, who is on the Feeling Center, can feel content in theses situations, because they over-identify with their feelings and think they are defined by them. But the 1 is on the Gut Center, and he's above all concern about action, about impact on the world, they strongly value logic and a state of mind like the 4's is a state of mind they compulsively try to avoid as much as possible. Because of this, they can easily seem rigid in their moral code, because they prefer to be rigid than question their expectations and risk failure. The point of integration of the 1 is the 7: they understand that they are human being who can be imperfect, and that they have their entire life to progressively match with their ideals as much as possible, and so, take the time to discover news and multiples ideas and try news and multiple things. They discover the virtue of their enneatype:Patience.

The problematic of the 6 is widely different. The 6 is on the Head Center, and the Head Center is about fear and how to deal with it. The 5 have his Head Center oriented outward, so they fear the outward and escape their fear by compulsively withdrawn and gain insight and understanding, the 7 fear his inside world, and escape by compulsively seek pleasures and stimulation. The 6 him has his Head Center focused inside and outside, and so, tend to be afraid of everything with an overpresent doubting mind, building catastrophic scenarios. Their compulsion is too seek something who could calm their anxiety, wich can be a group, a romantic partner, a strong system of thought, etc, and to not deviate of this to find security. There is usually a contrast between their trust about some stuff and their distrust about other things. Because they often find security in joining of group or causes, they are the Loyalists and adopt a position of "Us against the rest of the World". Some 6 never find the things in wich they could trust and so are constantly anxious, distrusting and (if they are couterphobic) rebellious reacive and defensive about things. 6s often feel thay are in a jungle, when they are under stress, they disintegrate in 3, and became hyperactive, arrogant and competitive, believing that they must achieve their task or victory to avoid (often hypothetic) danger. But their are usually more conscious that true 3s about their need for a cooperative environment, and can attack peoples they find "too much individualistic". Because of their need to fix problems they worry about, 6s are often excellent troubleshooter. The point of integration of the 6 is the 9: they realise that it's impossible to find a total security and that the most part of problems they fear are a product of their thought. They become more laid back and and learn to be open for more peoples, ideas, etc, because they can overcome their anxiety and worry less about problem. Their behavior pass from a extrem to another, from very distrusting, competitive, arrogant and reserved to very trusting, loving and caring. They discover the virtue of their enneatype: Courage.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes. One thing important to know to get a better understanding is that the 1 disintegrate in 4 under stress. When they fail at match their high expectation about themselves, they become moody, dispressed, they are melancholic because they give themselve a hard time, but are wondering if they could match their high standards one day. They can get an inferiority complex. From that state of mind, they can also become arrogant and aristocratic in some sort, just like the 4: they think that there's something like just 5% of peoples in the world who really work hard to be morally decent, and that they are among them. Of course, the true 4, who is on the Feeling Center, can feel content in theses situations, because they over-identify with their feelings and think they are defined by them. But the 1 is on the Gut Center, and he's above all concern about action, about impact on the world, they strongly value logic and a state of mind like the 4's is a state of mind they compulsively try to avoid as much as possible. Because of this, they can easily seem rigid in their moral code, because they prefer to be rigid than question their expectations and risk failure. The point of integration of the 1 is the 7: they understand that they are human being who can be imperfect, and that they have their entire life to progressively match with their ideals as much as possible, and so, take the time to discover news and multiples ideas and try news and multiple things. They discover the virtue of their enneatype:Patience.

The problematic of the 6 is widely different. The 6 is on the Head Center, and the Head Center is about fear and how to deal with it. The 5 have his Head Center oriented outward, so they fear the outward and escape their fear by compulsively withdrawn and gain insight and understanding, the 7 fear his inside world, and escape by compulsively seek pleasures and stimulation. The 6 him has his Head Center focused inside and outside, and so, tend to be afraid of everything with an overpresent doubting mind, building catastrophic scenarios. Their compulsion is too seek something who could calm their anxiety, wich can be a group, a romantic partner, a strong system of thought, etc, and to not deviate of this to find security. There is usually a contrast between their trust about some stuff and their distrust about other things. Because they often find security in joining of group or causes, they are the Loyalists and adopt a position of "Us against the rest of the World". Some 6 never find the things in wich they could trust and so are constantly anxious, distrusting and (if they are couterphobic) rebellious reacive and defensive about things. 6s often feel thay are in a jungle, when they are under stress, they disintegrate in 3, and became hyperactive, arrogant and competitive, believing that they must achieve their task or victory to avoid (often hypothetic) danger. But their are usually more conscious that true 3s about their need for a cooperative environment, and can attack peoples they find "too much individualistic". Because of their need to fix problems they worry about, 6s are often excellent troubleshooter. The point of integration of the 6 is the 9: they realise that it's impossible to find a total security and that the most part of problems they fear are a product of their thought. They become more laid back and and learn to be open for more peoples, ideas, etc, because they can overcome their anxiety and worry less about problem. Their behavior pass from a extrem to another, from very distrusting, competitive, arrogant and reserved to very trusting, loving and caring. They discover the virtue of their enneatype: Courage.
Thank you for this detailed info! The bolded is what I relate to. I don't think there's much doubt :laugh:

Actually, thanks x2. You wrote excellent descriptions there. They helped me immensely.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Meeow, EJCC!:D

Yes, there's no doubt you are a 1 then. I notice you recognize you in the descriptions of the healthy 6, because 7 and 9 have many in common, and also that you are a good troobleshooter. Of course, the troobleshooter things is just a leanings and an ESTJ is probably better at troobleshooting than an INFP 6 whatever his enneagram is. But I think you would be able to distinguish 6 and 1 better now, to distinguish in Harry Potter for example, the 1 (Hermione) and the 6 (Ron) or in Superman the 1 (Loïs Lane) and the 6 (Clark Kent alias Superman).;)

What would be also interesting to know is what your instinctual variant is. Wich one of theses descriptions do you relate the most with?

Sexual 1 - Seeking Intimacy/Intensity

Udit Patel Sexual Ones: Shared Standards (Ichazo's "Jealousy")

Sexual Ones focus their perfectionism on their intimate relationships, holding an ideal image of what a relationship should be like and measuring their intimates against this standard. For this reason, many Sexual Ones have difficulty finding a life partner that meets their criteria—there is always some characteristic in the potential mate that falls short of their expectations. They may also harbor expectations of creating a perfect family, but this must begin with finding a mate who understands and shares their passion for their mission. When Sexual Ones find a partner who they believe shares their values, they become extremely excited and highly protective of their relationship. They may also idealize the partner, constantly striving to feel worthy of the other's love. Nonetheless, anxieties about the partner's losing the shared values may cause Sexual Ones to become critical of the other. They want to remind the partner of the high standards that they both live by but they can create problems in the relationship by trying to keep the other "on track." Nonetheless, they are passionate about their intimates and devoted to keeping their relationships moving toward higher ground.

LifeExplore

May be preoccupied with their romantic partner. Have high expectations based on having idealized their beloved. Their partner is supposed to be perfect man or woman. One's reaction is jealous judgment if their beloved acts in less-than-ideal ways. Jealous Ones may drive partners away with endless criticism. Can have a dependent tendency related to the low side of 2. Most intimate Ones have a 2 wing. Also there's a melancholy yearning and fear of abandonment fueling the One's criticism. Connection to the low side of 4.

Social 1 - Seeking Acceptance/Belonging/Inclusion/Status

Udit Patel The Crusader (Ichazo's "Inadaptability")

Social Ones focus their perfectionism in the social realm; thus, they are interested in local and world affairs. What is going on with the school district? Has that new environmental legislation been passed? Why doesn't anyone care about the enormous problem of world hunger? Social Ones take these issues personally, and they devote their time and energy to bringing people's attention to social ills. In other words, they do not want merely to talk about problems, they want to get involved and take action. While they may work tirelessly for the causes that they care about, Social Ones may have trouble developing a personal life. They are not particularly interested in social ease, for themselves or for others; rather, they are concerned with finding the "right way" for people to conduct themselves with one another. When they are more identified with this attitude, they may feel that others do not know what is best for them. With regard to themselves, Social Ones feel that personal needs can be addressed only after more pressing social problems have been faced. This zeal can be hard on their families and intimates, but people are often amazed by the strength of the Social One's convictions and are grateful for the good work that they contribute to the community.

LifeExplore

Social subtype Ones are everywhere in the movies, probably because they create dramatic friction. Characterized by a preoccupation with rules and how they should apply to (other) people's behavior. Tend to moralize and apply old standards inflexibly to each new situation. Believe they are representatives of a larger social order or tradition. They're not, of course - acting as if they represent the rules is their psychological defense. Usually had great uncertainty in childhood, at least one undependable parent. Made themselves rigid to feel strong, aligned with the rules to contain their anxiety. Tend to depersonalize their own feelings, hope to be above criticism. Social Ones can have either wing, though a 9 wing brings rules that are more abstract and inhuman-sounding.

Self-Preservation 1 - Seeking Saftey/Comfort

Udit Patel Self-Control (Ichazo's "Anxiety")

Self-Preservation Ones focus their resentment and perfectionism in areas of health, self-management, and homemaking. They are not necessarily worked up about the plight of refugees in the Third World but may have very firm convictions about proper diet and exercise or the best way to maintain one's household or family budget. Self-Pres Ones like to be organized, to have their life structured, and their possessions put in their proper place. They are neat, punctual, and fastidious—sometimes to a fault. They believe that controlling the "dirt" and chaos in their lives will enhance their well being, even their survival. It seems to them that a well-ordered life is the best hedge against chaos and danger, and they are concerned that any mistakes on their part could have dire consequences. Thus, they tend to be careful and meticulous in the planning of their lives. Many Self-Pres Ones also take an active interest in preventative health matters: vitamins, cleansing diets and fasts, exercise routines, alternative medicine, and cutting-edge medical knowledge.

LifeExplore

Characterized by a tendency towards worry and negative anticipation, especially as it relates to material well-being. Can seem a little like Sixes. They fret about how to avoid making mistakes that could jeopardize survival. Petty, finicky quality; could seem "penny-wise and pound-foolish." Sense of being undeserving or inadequate - try to compensate with worry. As a parent or friend, they might be critical and nurturing by turns, wanting to protect you from the same negative consequences they worry about.

See also here the different stacks of the 1: One stacks. - the enneagram ...info from the underground

That page would be very useful too:yes::http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...criptions-enneagram-instinctual-variants.html

Good luck!;)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Meeow, EJCC!:D
What's that supposed to mean? :confused:

What would be also interesting to know is what your instinctual variant is. Wich one of theses descriptions do you relate the most with?
The descriptions are so incredibly one-note and extreme! I don't relate to a single one in its entirety. Nonetheless, here are the quotes, with the things I relate to bolded, like before:
Sexual 1 - Seeking Intimacy/Intensity

Sexual Ones focus their perfectionism on their intimate relationships, holding an ideal image of what a relationship should be like and measuring their intimates against this standard. For this reason, many Sexual Ones have difficulty finding a life partner that meets their criteria—there is always some characteristic in the potential mate that falls short of their expectations. They may also harbor expectations of creating a perfect family, but this must begin with finding a mate who understands and shares their passion for their mission. When Sexual Ones find a partner who they believe shares their values, they become extremely excited and highly protective of their relationship. They may also idealize the partner, constantly striving to feel worthy of the other's love. Nonetheless, anxieties about the partner's losing the shared values may cause Sexual Ones to become critical of the other. They want to remind the partner of the high standards that they both live by but they can create problems in the relationship by trying to keep the other "on track." Nonetheless, they are passionate about their intimates and devoted to keeping their relationships moving toward higher ground.

May be preoccupied with their romantic partner. Have high expectations based on having idealized their beloved. Their partner is supposed to be perfect man or woman. One's reaction is jealous judgment if their beloved acts in less-than-ideal ways. Jealous Ones may drive partners away with endless criticism. Can have a dependent tendency related to the low side of 2. Most intimate Ones have a 2 wing. Also there's a melancholy yearning and fear of abandonment fueling the One's criticism. Connection to the low side of 4.

Social 1 - Seeking Acceptance/Belonging/Inclusion/Status

Social Ones focus their perfectionism in the social realm; thus, they are interested in local and world affairs. What is going on with the school district? Has that new environmental legislation been passed? Why doesn't anyone care about the enormous problem of world hunger? Social Ones take these issues personally, and they devote their time and energy to bringing people's attention to social ills. In other words, they do not want merely to talk about problems, they want to get involved and take action. While they may work tirelessly for the causes that they care about, Social Ones may have trouble developing a personal life. They are not particularly interested in social ease, for themselves or for others; rather, they are concerned with finding the "right way" for people to conduct themselves with one another. When they are more identified with this attitude, they may feel that others do not know what is best for them. With regard to themselves, Social Ones feel that personal needs can be addressed only after more pressing social problems have been faced. <-- WTF does that mean? "I can only seek therapy after I have ended world poverty single handedly"??? This zeal can be hard on their families and intimates, but people are often amazed by the strength of the Social One's convictions and are grateful for the good work that they contribute to the community.

Social subtype Ones are everywhere in the movies, probably because they create dramatic friction. Characterized by a preoccupation with rules and how they should apply to (other) people's behavior. Tend to moralize and apply old standards inflexibly to each new situation. Believe they are representatives of a larger social order or tradition. They're not, of course - acting as if they represent the rules is their psychological defense. Usually had great uncertainty in childhood, at least one undependable parent. Made themselves rigid to feel strong, aligned with the rules to contain their anxiety. Tend to depersonalize their own feelings, hope to be above criticism. Social Ones can have either wing, though a 9 wing brings rules that are more abstract and inhuman-sounding.

Self-Preservation 1 - Seeking Saftey/Comfort

Self-Preservation Ones focus their resentment and perfectionism in areas of health, self-management, and homemaking. They are not necessarily worked up about the plight of refugees in the Third World but may have very firm convictions about proper diet and exercise or the best way to maintain one's household or family budget. Self-Pres Ones like to be organized, to have their life structured, and their possessions put in their proper place. They are neat, punctual, and fastidious—sometimes to a fault. They believe that controlling the "dirt" and chaos in their lives will enhance their well being, even their survival. It seems to them that a well-ordered life is the best hedge against chaos [NOTE: I mean "life" generally, not "health, self-management and homemaking".] and danger, and they are concerned that any mistakes on their part could have dire consequences. Thus, they tend to be careful and meticulous in the planning of their lives. Many Self-Pres Ones also take an active interest in preventative health matters: vitamins, cleansing diets and fasts, exercise routines, alternative medicine, and cutting-edge medical knowledge.

Characterized by a tendency towards worry and negative anticipation, especially as it relates to material well-being. Can seem a little like Sixes. They fret about how to avoid making mistakes that could jeopardize survival. Petty, finicky quality; could seem "penny-wise and pound-foolish." Sense of being undeserving or inadequate - try to compensate with worry. As a parent or friend, they might be critical and nurturing by turns, wanting to protect you from the same negative consequences they worry about.

In the "info from the underground" page, I relate to the Soc/Self-Pres and Self-Pres/Soc just about equally.

I have the same trouble deciding between Self-Pres and Social in BlackCat's page link.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What's that supposed to mean? :confused:

I don't really know actually!:doh: But that's a slang often seen used on the internet by peoples when they are happy.

The descriptions are so incredibly one-note and extreme! I don't relate to a single one in its entirety. Nonetheless, here are the quotes, with the things I relate to bolded, like before:

In the "info from the underground" page, I relate to the Soc/Self-Pres and Self-Pres/Soc just about equally.

I have the same trouble deciding between Self-Pres and Social in BlackCat's page link.

Hum... The basic motivations for each instincts:

sx = fear of not making an intense, intimate one-on-one connection

so = fear of ostracism, rejection, failure to fit in

sp = fear of being deprived of essential needs or resources

I think we can find our dominant instinct by trying to stop thinking totally and see what worry or preocuaption arises the most quickly. For the 1 especially, I think they can find heir instinctual variant by seeing where their perfectionism os oriented the most spontaneously.

SEXUAL

:primary concern:
intense experiences, connections, and contacts, wide-ranging and exploratory, in order to find something to "complete" them inside (ski jumps, deep conversations, exciting movies)

:primary focus:
people and attractions promising intense energy and charge

:primary ambition:
looking outside themselves for the person or situation that will complete them, and then obsessing over that completing element

:primary stresses:
lack of intense mental or emotional stimulation, lack of an intense connection or experience

:coping methods: (unhealthy)
scattered attention, lack of focus, sexual promiscuity, intensely avoiding intense experiences and connections with a fearful and dysfunctional attitude toward sex, intimacy, and other intense "completing" experiences, as is skewed by the secondary instinct

SOCIAL

building their sense of personal value, accomplishment, and a security of place with others via interaction with people in a broader sense (through family, group, subculture, mainstream culture, community, nation, world)

the status, approval, and admirability of theirself and of others in the minds of any number of different groups; "subtle" power structures and politics; knowing what is going on in the world; a contextual intelligence that allows them to see both their efforts and their broader context in the world

interacting with people in ways that will build their personal value, their sense of accomplishment, and their security of place with others; to touch base with others to feel safe, alive, and energized; may include pursuit of attention, success, fame, recognition, honor, leadership, appreciation, and the security of being a part of something bigger than themselves

being able to adjust to others and be acceptable; others' reactions to them, whether they are being accepted or not; may include intimacy, which is tended to be avoided

antisocial behavior, detesting or resenting society at large, displaying poorly developed social skills, fear and distrust of society, resentfulness at having had to change to gain approval causes a stubbornness against doing what is necessary to get along with people, social resentment and avoidance as is skewed by the secondary instinct

SELF-PRESERVATION

physical safety, comfort, and well-being; securing an orderly and aesthetically pleasing way of life (food, clothing, money, housing, and physical health)

security, comfort, and well-being of the environment (lighting, temperature, comfortable furniture, aesthetics, food quality)

using practicality and financial sense to create a secure environment in the home and workplace (paying bills, acquiring skills to ensure the orderly flow of life)

money, sustenance (how they will get food, when it will come, if they will like it, if it fits their diet)

over-stocking, overbuying, overeating, overpurging, oversleeping, undersleeping, overindulging in aesthetics or comfort foods, mistreatment of comfort and security as is skewed by the secondary instinct

Does it help?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think we can find our dominant instinct by trying to stop thinking totally and see what worry or preocuaption arises the most quickly. For the 1 especially, I think they can find heir instinctual variant by seeing where their perfectionism os oriented the most spontaneously.
When I try to stop thinking, the first things that come into my head aren't really related to interpersonal relationships or the environment. They're related to things like getting to class on time, studying enough so that I can get good grades and get a good job later in life, etc. When I try not to think about anything else, I think about my schedule. Does that make me Sp? I dunno, because I think I relate to the Soc stuff more, in text form. Either way, here's some more quote bolding :doh: :laugh: because I can't think of any better method right now.

SOCIAL

building their sense of personal value, accomplishment, and a security of place with others via interaction with people in a broader sense (through family, group, subculture, mainstream culture, community, nation, world)

the status, approval, and admirability of theirself and of others in the minds of any number of different groups; "subtle" power structures and politics; knowing what is going on in the world; a contextual intelligence that allows them to see both their efforts and their broader context in the world

interacting with people in ways that will build their personal value, their sense of accomplishment, and their security of place with others; to touch base with others to feel safe, alive, and energized; may include pursuit of attention, success, fame, recognition, honor, leadership, appreciation, and the security of being a part of something bigger than themselves

being able to adjust to others and be acceptable; others' reactions to them, whether they are being accepted or not; may include intimacy, which is tended to be avoided

antisocial behavior, detesting or resenting society at large, displaying poorly developed social skills, fear and distrust of society, resentfulness at having had to change to gain approval causes a stubbornness against doing what is necessary to get along with people, social resentment and avoidance as is skewed by the secondary instinct

SELF-PRESERVATION

physical safety, comfort, and well-being; securing an orderly and aesthetically pleasing way of life (food, clothing, money, housing, and physical health)

security, comfort, and well-being of the environment (lighting, temperature, comfortable furniture, aesthetics, food quality)

using practicality and financial sense to create a secure environment in the home and workplace (paying bills, acquiring skills to ensure the orderly flow of life)

money, sustenance (how they will get food, when it will come, if they will like it, if it fits their diet)

over-stocking, overbuying, overeating, overpurging, oversleeping, undersleeping, overindulging in aesthetics or comfort foods, mistreatment of comfort and security as is skewed by the secondary instinct

Does it help?
Yeah, it does help, but at the same time it makes me more confused.

What do you think, based on the info I gave?

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I try to stop thinking, the first things that come into my head aren't really related to interpersonal relationships or the environment. They're related to things like getting to class on time, studying enough so that I can get good grades and get a good job later in life, etc. When I try not to think about anything else, I think about my schedule. Does that make me Sp?

Maybe no, but that probably mean that you hav'nt Sp in last. When I try to stop thinking, I primary think about things wich make me feel some sort of intensity, and then "oh shit, I have to getting to class on time, to study enough, etc" Or even "oh, shit, there is shedules", lol.:doh:

What do you think, based on the info I gave?

I think you are more probably an So/Sp than an Sp/So, it was also how I felt it when I saw your video.. Well, the differences between the both can seem quite subtle and difficult to identify. Your dominant instinct is your main preocupation, and the supporting instinct is what you feel the most important to achieve in order to support your dominant instinct. me, for example, I'am an Sx/So and my primary preocupation is to find intensity in life or something who could complete me, but I also feel the need to maintain inclusion in the group in order to achieve it and I tend naturally to socialise and connect with the group/the whole world when I pursue my sexual instinct. Sx/Sp is weird, they are not concern or very a few by their inclusion in society in order to achieve their sexual needs, but are at the contrary very concern with security and what it need to be done according to the practical needs. So/Sx are above all worried about their position in the group and if they please the group, but their main modus operandi to achieve it is to be intense and have strong one-to-one social skills. At the contrary of Sx/So, they are usually less closed to people they interact with than they appear to be.

Typical mindset:
Sx/So:"If I can maintain position and inclusion in the group/world, I can keep up and escalate all this merging/intensity."
Sx/Sp:"If I can make (us) have an orderly & pleasing lifestyle, I can keep up and escalate all this merging/intensity."
So/Sx:"If I can get close to people with merging/intensity, I can make sure of and keep improving my position and inclusion in the group/world."

So, if you are an So/Sp, your actual main precupation is to get inclusion in the group/world but you tend naturally to be concerned with security and practical needs because you think it's necessary to maintain you position in the group. If you are an Sp/So, your actual main preocupation is security, comfort, practical need etc, but you think it's necessary to get a social position to get that protection. So/Sp can be very involved in extending of their material health or improving of an orderly lifestyle, but they would'nt be so invested if there would'nt social gain in return. Sp/So can be very sociable but they are usually more detached and less involved in the group that they appears to be.

Typical mindset:
So/Sp:"If I can establish an orderly and pleasing lifestyle, I can make sure of and keep improving my position and inclusion in the group/world."
Sp/So:"If I can maintain position and inclusion in the group/world, I can make sure of and keep my orderly and pleasing lifestyle." (May try to be just appealing and connected with groups enough for everyone to get out of their hair.)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So/Sp:"If I can establish an orderly and pleasing lifestyle, I can make sure of and keep improving my position and inclusion in the group/world."
Oh my god!!! :shocking: :holy: That resonates so much with me that it's insane. There is no doubt in my mind that I'm So/Sp.

Thank you Speed Gavroche :hug:

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh my god!!! :shocking: :holy: That resonates so much with me that it's insane. There is no doubt in my mind that I'm So/Sp.

Thank you Speed Gavroche :hug:

Cool.:)

Funny to see how descriptions can hit on peoples sometimes.:yes:

So/Sp are often nicknamed "collected engage-er" because their involving in the group is reposed on a strong practical sense and reflective. A famous example of ESTJ So/Sp is Cordelia from BTVS/Angel, who gradually evolves from the superficiam popular chick to a driven do-gooder person, very collected and realistic who is the heart of the group.:D

Whatever is an So/Sp too, maybe you could chat with her to see what you have in common (even if social 7 can be so anti-social).