• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

And if I were an NF ??

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
Reading the post "what book should every NF read" I start thinking I could be an NF. I've always thought I am an NT because I think of myself as a logical person and I have low empathy.
But I like books, tvshow, movies taht can be a lot more NF that NT, art, psychology and I don't like science. I am attracted by things that can give me deep meanings, identities and self-growth, particularly with some elements of failed life, sadness etc...
For example, my favourite books are:
- Youth, by Coetzee
- Steppenwolf, demian, peter camenzind, by hermann Hesse
- confederance of dunces by John Kennedy Toole
- book of disquiet, by Pessoa
- The loser, by Thomas Bernhard
- Hunger, by Knut Hamsun
And tvshow Six Feet Under is the best tvshow ever, I don't like sci-fi.

What's your thought?
Thank you.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Just because you may like the same books as us NFs doesnt make you one. hahahahah kidding.
But yeah, from the things you listed (deep meanings, psychology, not liking science) you sound like an NF. good on ya for converting! :D

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Reading the post "what book should every NF read" I start thinking I could be an NF.

You should be true to yourself, not to type. Type is a very crude indicator, and should not be used as a limiting force. Let it describe, not prescribe.

Snow Turtle

Read up on the functions and determine accordingly. NFs can be logical, although I'm not sure how many NFs would claim that they aren't empathetic. Depends on the reason behind the lack of empathy I suppose.

For example. I like to do Fe, but I suck at Fe at the same time. What's the story behind the lack of your empathy? Do you care about improving it? :)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
You could be an NF. Can you give us any information about how you make decisions? Are you more interested in finding out who you are, or learning things, etc?

Wats a science?

Ask nightning. At least look at her blog to see everyone's answers.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Many of the NTs I've known had more artistic interests than scientific ones. The reason I typed them as NT was because they had a poor use of empathy and would get stuck on facts.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Many of the NTs I've known had more artistic interests than scientific ones. The reason I typed them as NT was because they had a poor use of empathy and would get stuck on facts.

But I've known lots of empathetic NTs...

And getting stuck on facts sounds more S than T.

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
For example. I like to do Fe, but I suck at Fe at the same time.

I can provide Fe if needed, but I don't like it and I am not very good at it.

What's the story behind the lack of your empathy? Do you care about improving it? :)

I think that what people feel is so subjective that I cannot imagine what others are feeling even if I had the same experience. Feelings are not measurable.
I don't care particularly about improving it.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
My main problem is that I am odd to myself. I have not a strong identity. I rarely know who I am or who I want become.

Do you have desires? (of course)

Follow them. see where they go. As long as you have happiness and feel that your life is worthwhile, don't fret about identity.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's specifically FJs that are considered empathetic. I'm not sure that this means that FPs aren't though, I would take it that FJs are more empathetic than FPs, that's about it.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But I've known lots of empathetic NTs...

And getting stuck on facts sounds more S than T.

Just like there's NFs who can be quite logical. There's a higher propensity for one or the other usually.

I don't think getting stuck on facts is necessarily S at all. It can be a way of being blind the emotional aspect of a situation, which can be very T.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's specifically FJs that are considered empathetic. I'm not sure that this means that FPs aren't though, I would take it that FJs are more empathetic than FPs, that's about it.

Why do you say that? :huh:
I'd argue that FPs can actually be better at putting themselves in other people's shoes....

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why do you say that? :huh:
I'd argue that FPs can actually be better at putting themselves in other people's shoes....

That's just what I pulled from Wikipedia - MBTI page, I'm not sure how accurate it is :mellow: