User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: INTP or ISTP.

Permabanned

Default INTP or ISTP.

I'm still pretty confused about my true type whether i'm an INTP or ISTP most tests I take say INTP some say ISTP. I always get the lowest score when it comes to "s" and "n" I figured out recently though that I tend to get along with people from the ISTP quadra more than the INTP quadra. For example I tend to like ENFPs more than ESFPs, could this be a factor in determining a type?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Moved thread to What's My Type.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    I'm still pretty confused about my true type whether i'm an INTP or ISTP most tests I take say INTP some say ISTP. I always get the lowest score when it comes to "s" and "n" I figured out recently though that I tend to get along with people from the ISTP quadra more than the INTP quadra. For example I tend to like ENFPs more than ESFPs, could this be a factor in determining a type?
    How much do you identify with the type descriptions of ISTP vs. INTP? You may just be someone who is on the border between the two types. My husband is like that. He first tested as ISTP, then INTP in later years. He comes across to others as INTP because he is very intellectual and can go into long explanations of topics he is interested in. However, things that SPs say about their preferences, such as their tendency to run up the stairs at airports (while loaded with baggage, backpack, etc.) instead of taking the escalator, strongly preferring driving stick-shift instead of automatic, fit him well. He also has a real interest and knowledge of tools for his hobbies- he has to have the right tool for the project at hand. It's pretty confusing trying to figure his type out!

Edit: He likes riding motorcycles, too.

If your avatar photo is of you, your eyes seem pretty intense and serious. You look like an ISTP to me, FWIW.

MBTI
    TNT

Judging from this limited information (your avatar and this post) I'd say you're an ISTP.

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_ View Post
    Judging from this limited information (your avatar and this post) I'd say you're an ISTP.
    How can you tell just from that information?

I think the best way to do this is to read into how the functions play out depending on their position in the function order. greenlight wiki is a great resource for this:

The Lenore Thomson Exegesis Wiki
    Auxillary: Attitudes from the Horse's Mouth
    Tertiary: Tertiary Temptation

Despite similarity in their names, the two types can be very different.

INTPs and INFPs often preach "thinking outside the box" and the importance of adjusting and adapting creatively and spontaneously to whatever happens, not imposing a priori criteria on things. The phrase "outside the box" is usually a tip-off that someone is talking about Extraverted Intuition.

ISTPs and ISFPs often preach "go with the flow, man." They like to preach that since you can't control the world, you've got to just go with what you feel like doing at each moment, without anticipating the future and without bogging yourself down by trying to be consistent with the past. Have fun now, man, tomorrow you could be hit by a bus. Just "be." See Extraverted Sensation.
    Tertiary Si (INxP): "I can't possibly go along with this, I don't have any reliable concepts or map to anchor myself with: it's all arbitrary and untrustworthy and meaningless. I'd be diving in without any orientation; I'd be tripped up or harmed from any random direction, and my efforts wouldn't be cumulative. I just won't budge. I'll build myself some barricades and wait for the storm to blow over." The Secondary Function (Ne) would say: "Look around, shake up the pot, see what new arises, and deal with it imaginatively; there must be better alternatives available than being stuck here." (My secondary Ne says something more in the lines of "Pay attention to your surroundings and do the thing that will have the most interesting results. Don't be dumb just because you don't have any experience.")

Tertiary Ni (ISxP): "I can't possibly go along with this, 'cuz it's all a lie. It's all a set-up by the Man. I'd just be serving his interests and not my own. I'm not gonna be suckered by all this self-serving bull. No way, man, I gotta go my own way." Or "Why should I imitate the cool people? Despite their shiny clothes and social connections, they are still as vulnerable as anyone else." The Secondary Function (Se) would say: "This thing's bigger than you. Better just go with the flow, do what you can, trust your instincts to deal with what's right here and now."

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    I think the best way to do this is to read into how the functions play out depending on their position in the function order. greenlight wiki is a great resource for this:

The Lenore Thomson Exegesis Wiki
    Auxillary: Attitudes from the Horse's Mouth
    Tertiary: Tertiary Temptation

Despite similarity in their names, the two types can be very different.
    ISTPs and ISFPs often preach "go with the flow, man." They like to preach that since you can't control the world, you've got to just go with what you feel like doing at each moment, without anticipating the future and without bogging yourself down by trying to be consistent with the past. Have fun now, man, tomorrow you could be hit by a bus. Just "be." See Extraverted Sensation.

"i defiantly have this kind of feeling every day It feels like I can die.

The biggest difference I see between my INTP father and ISTP brother (my type guesses) is that my brother is much more impulsive. They have many overlapping interests, but my brother's tendency to indulge in the moment is faaaaaar more prevalent and subject to chastisement than my father's.

Most frequent explanations excuses for doing things they shouldn't have to my ESFJ step-mother?

ISTP: It was just fun.
    INTP: It was just interesting.

Given your remarks, I should add their mutual interests lie in: science, computers, motorcycles, cars, tools, and using their binoculars at sports games to eyeball the cheerleaders. (I KNOW WHAT THEY'RE UP TO!)
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Intricate Mystic View Post
    How much do you identify with the type descriptions of ISTP vs. INTP? You may just be someone who is on the border between the two types. My husband is like that. He first tested as ISTP, then INTP in later years. He comes across to others as INTP because he is very intellectual and can go into long explanations of topics he is interested in. However, things that SPs say about their preferences, such as their tendency to run up the stairs at airports (while loaded with baggage, backpack, etc.) instead of taking the escalator, strongly preferring driving stick-shift instead of automatic, fit him well. He also has a real interest and knowledge of tools for his hobbies- he has to have the right tool for the project at hand. It's pretty confusing trying to figure his type out!

Edit: He likes riding motorcycles, too.

If your avatar photo is of you, your eyes seem pretty intense and serious. You look like an ISTP to me, FWIW.
    your husband seems ISTP to me, tools, motorcycles...I defiantly have an intensive side to me the picture in the avatar isn't me but I do enjoy being active and I'm quite skilled at jiu-jitsu. I also enjoy the unknown and abstract ideas, intellectual conversations. I tend to not take as many risks as the typical ISTP descriptions say and I'm quite cautious(that could be because I'm an introvert).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    your husband seems ISTP to me, tools, motorcycles...I defiantly have an intensive side to me the picture in the avatar isn't me but I do enjoy being active and I'm quite skilled at jiu-jitsu. I also enjoy the unknown and abstract ideas, intellectual conversations. I tend to not take as many risks as the typical ISTP descriptions say and I'm quite cautious(that could be because I'm an introvert).
    The ISTP description here [http://www.personalitypage.com/ISTP_car.html] states that ISTPs are "usually able to master theory and abstract thinking, but don't particularly like dealing with it unless they see a practical application". I have a theory that high IQ ISTPs have more well-developed abstract thinking skills than the norm and thus can appear to be INTPs.

What is your intensive side like, i.e. what are you intense about?